Windows 8

soundman

Oh, and one more unsolicited suggestion. Make sure whatever you buy has an SSD then Win 8 really flies. I have been amazed at the performance boost from an SSD. The only downside is you have to compromise a bit on the drive size - compared to a HDD.

Oh, and one more unsolicited suggestion. Make sure whatever you buy has an SSD then Win 8 really flies. I have been amazed at the performance boost from an SSD. The only downside is you have to compromise a bit on the drive size - compared to a HDD.

With an SSD every operating system flies
  • Like 1

Windows 8 is mainly designed for touchscreens (think Tablet PCs). Althought you can (I think still) use a standard Win7 style interface, I really see littlle point in upgrading if what you are buying is not touchscreen.

Personally, I would also wait for the reviews of Win8 to come out and at least for the first set of bug fixes to be released by MS.

• Like 1

Like most I Initially found the new interface frustrating especially the missing start menu. However on the basis that, like it or not, I will almost certainly end up with it anyway I might as well bite the bullet and start using it now. It will be several years before 9 comes along and I will bet that will follow on from the 8 interface and not revert back. Historically it never has.

Just think of the start screen as an extension of the old start menu which utilises the whole screen instead of part of it. Personally I don't find the Metro apps terribly useful but they don't bother me either and at this stage it seems to me that both tablets and conventional notebooks are here to stay for a while so some convergence is inevitable The touchpad on all newish notebooks can be used in place of a touchscreen for many functions too.

I know plenty of people that are still happy with XP and see no reason to upgrade from that. But if you aren't in that group then my advice would be, go for it. The operating system itself runs better than ever and in my 6 weeks experience has been completely stable.

If there is one valid reason to hold off upgrading, I would say it is hardware driver support.

With an SSD every operating system flies

True but for example, boot & wake times are significantly faster on 8 than 7. My notebook goes from power on to logon screen in 6 seconds and wakes in less than 2.

• Like 1

For me the jury is still out on W8, it's not significantly faster than W7 but I'll persevere.

I have W8 Enterprise installed as a dual boot on a virtual drive, once you get used to the rather odd Metro interface it really is very similar to previous versions. The desktop is there, just Metro replaces the Start button.

I'm not sure about the look, it's gone back to square corners on windows, no Aero and I've failed to get any desktop gadgets to work (I like CPU and clock gadgets on screen).

We shall see.

EDIT http://8gadgetpack.bplaced.net/ puts the gadgets back :)

I would anyway wait a bit, till the first bugs get repaired. Never good to be one of the first with MS OS

Seems they are already starting.

Microsoft rolls out massive Windows 8 update

Microsoft's notorious Patch Tuesday has been replaced by Update Tuesday, at least for today, as the company makes sweeping alterations to Windows 8 and its core apps.

The update to Windows 8 Release to Manufacturing (read the review) aims to improve what was already solid performance in Windows 8. In the blog post announcing the update, Windows president Steve Sinofsky explained that the update would be seamlessly available for all Windows 8 machines when they boot up on October 26 and thereafter. "By developing better test automation and test coverage tools we are happy to say that Windows 8 will be totally up to date for all customers starting at General Availability," he wrote.

Basically, this is a strong indication that Microsoft has learned the valuable lesson of releasing unobtrusive but important updates when they're ready, instead of saving them for larger, less frequently issued "service packs". That's not to say that a Service Pack update couldn't be in the works for Windows 8 in the future, but this is definitely a shift in how Microsoft gets things done.

Cnet.com

I tried a couple of the various Windows 8 preview editions. I found the new windows version . . . frustrating.

My first dilemna after poking around was trying to figure out how to shut it down. I searched and searched. Couldn't find how to do it. Finally got it.

Next it was Internet Explorer 10 (in the favored Metro interface.) No Favorites. Huh? Yep, that's right. You have to pin websites you visit frequently to your desktop. Don't really have anything to hide, but I don't really want all of my favorite websites out there for display to the rest of the world either.

There is also a "desktop" (traditional) version of Internet Explorer 10 included that functions more in the manner we are used to. Damned if I remember how to get there.

I'm 52 years old. I had a TI-59 programmable calculator in the late 70's, a Commodore 64 in the early 80's, I used DOS in the mid and late 80's and got into Windows 3.0 in 1990. I've mostly built my own systems for the last 20 years. Yet, I'm struggling to make sense out of Windows 8. To me, Windows 8 is not intuitive. At least, not in the sense of how I've used desktop computers up intil now.

Sure, I'll probably end up watching some videos or some other kind of training, and eventually get more comfortable with it. And probably will eventually get pushed into adopting Windows 8 for some reason or another. But I have no desire to do so now. I see no benefits to going from Windows 7 to Windows 8. In fact, I just see drawbacks.

I have to believe this is going to be more of a challenge for businesses that want to adopt Windows 8 than ever before, trying to get their employees up to speed on this new system. And I think (because of this new "Metro" interface, there are going to be a lot of businesses holding onto Windows XP, Vista, and 7 just as long as they possibly can.

And, there'll be an opportunity for software developers to ündo" much about Windows 8 and make the user interface more like people have been used to up through Windows 7.

Just my opinions . . .

I skipped every second windows edition...a good decision in hindsight as I missed out on gems like Vista, winME and win 3.0. Had win 2.0, 3.11, XP and now win7.

Heard good things about the latest Linux developments, too.

I'm 52 years old. I had a TI-59 programmable calculator in the late 70's, a Commodore 64 in the early 80's, I used DOS in the mid and late 80's and got into Windows 3.0 in 1990. I've mostly built my own systems for the last 20 years. Yet, I'm struggling to make sense out of Windows 8. To me, Windows 8 is not intuitive. At least, not in the sense of how I've used desktop computers up intil now.

Your age and background almost 100% matches me smile.png ... but I think I read there's a way to override the Metro UI and get something resembling the W7 UI ?

I skipped every second windows edition...a good decision in hindsight as I missed out on gems like Vista, winME and win 3.0. Had win 2.0, 3.11, XP and now win7.

Heard good things about the latest Linux developments, too.

Agree with the "every second window edition suck" idea. Not so much with the Linux idea. Linux with command line is the best thing since sliced bread for servers, but the better they make the GUI the more the resource usage and sluggishness sucks, and there are still many problems getting simple things like printers to work properly.

The Metro UI has a nice big 'desktop' button.

I got used to it fairly quickly once you realise how to swipe to the corners with a mouse.

That said, I've now binned it in favour of keeping W7 simply because W7 looks nicer, bring back Aero and I'll use W8.

• Like 1

I noticed after the recent Windows Update that when you move the cursor on the start ("Metro") screen that a small dash " - " character appears in the lower right corner of the screen, which will alert unsuspecting folks that that is where you click to get the "Charms" "menu" to appear on the right. It also gives a larger area for the mouse pointer to target.