Are You Worried About Your Health

kevvy

I'm surprised that this discussion hasn't thrown up the issue of dementia. What would you do if mentally incapable of looking after yourself. Its not a case of life support and hospital but a degradation into a state where you you can't take care of even the simplest of tasks. And I doubt you will be aware of it if it strikes. That in my opinion is one that should be considered.

Do you mean Alzheimers Disease (spelling)?

If so, are there any documented cases of farangs in Thailand who have suffered from this? It MUST have happened, and surely it WILL happen more often as the number of farangs in Thailand increases.

http://www.alzheimer...tia-statistics/

If you reach 85 it looks as though you have approx 1 in 5 chance of getting it and then likelihood increases from there.

Then of course you can get it younger.

When you look at the number of retirees here there will likely be a large number that develop it.

Didn't Ronald Reagan get it younger?

Just checked. Per Wikipedia:

Alzheimer's disease

Announcement and reaction

In August 1994, at the age of 83, Reagan was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease,[273] an incurable neurological disorder which destroys brain cells and ultimately causes death.[273][274] In November he informed the nation through a handwritten letter,[273] writing in part:

I have recently been told that I am one of the millions of Americans who will be afflicted with Alzheimer's Disease... At the moment I feel just fine. I intend to live the remainder of the years God gives me on this earth doing the things I have always done... I now begin the journey that will lead me into the sunset of my life. I know that for America there will always be a bright dawn ahead. Thank you, my friends. May God always bless you.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have friends who live in small villages and they are worried about if they get sick and have to get to a hospital quick and there is not the service there for them . How many other people are feeling the same as my friends

Is it a fact that there is no ambulance service in the area that your friends live in or is it just an assumption that they have made?

In some cases it may actually be better to live in a village as the ambulance can get there quicker than it can to a city dweller. In this village it takes about 10 minutes for the ambulance from the nearest Amphur hospital to get here.

Nevertheless, unless you have one foot in the grave the first line of defense against ill health is to address those life style choices which have a proven impact on health and life expectancy.

Smoking. Drinking. Obesity. Poor diet. Lack of exercise. Stress.

Boredom also leads to stress.

It also leads to excessive postings on an anonymous internet forum, and the misconception that what you post has meaning to anyone else, but you.

• Like 1

Nevertheless, unless you have one foot in the grave the first line of defense against ill health is to address those life style choices which have a proven impact on health and life expectancy.

It also leads to excessive postings on an anonymous internet forum, and the misconception that what you post has meaning to anyone else, but you.

That's just about the best comment I've ever come across on "an anonymous internet forum".

I can read between the lines. Thank you very much. And yes, you are so right.

in Thailand (in other countries too), documents are superfluous if there is no money flowing.

A particular issue with Thailand in relation to Farangland is the lack of legal frameworks to reliably take control of the affairs of people who through health problems can't maintain control of their own affairs.

Of course even in Thailand you can sign a Power of Attorney, there's a likelihood that nobody will really care if you are competent to do so at the time of signing - once signed nobody need care....... They might not care about anything but the money flowing, but then that would be in their hands, the benefactor would be superfluous.

Good luck to you if the basis of your relationships here in Thailand is the transfer of funds from you to those around you.

Wish for better luck if you've not established any kind of a relationship, money based or not.

Well at least I don't have 4 or the 6laugh.png

You will be fine ! It is much worse in rural Canada, it can be a blizzard, you can be 8 hours from a hospital in the bush... we never worry, but if you have a medical problem, carry a note about it to show, and try to travel with a buddy that knows.

Otherwise, who cares if you die if you live like a coward anyways ?

Best way to keep from having problems here is to keep a healthy lifestyle. Keep the booze down to a minimum, don't eat too much, don't smoke etc.

Luckily I'm only 31 so don't have to worry as much about my health as some of you geezers. biggrin.png

At 31 your just as likely as anyone to crash a motor bike. Just saying. ... if your male and 31, lets say you are 500% more likely than someone old and wise or a young lady.

Luckily I'm only 31 so don't have to worry as much about my health as some of you geezers.

At age 31 I was competing in national championship road and track cycling events. A 34 years old I almost died from a sudden onslaught of respitory disease brought on by allergies I had never previously suffered. I spent the next 10 years effectively crippled by these things. Thankfully I have my health back, but ill health did not come alone, it brought a lesson in humility along as company.

You will be fine ! It is much worse in rural Canada, it can be a blizzard, you can be 8 hours from a hospital in the bush... we never worry, but if you have a medical problem, carry a note about it to show, and try to travel with a buddy that knows.

Otherwise, who cares if you die if you live like a coward anyways ?

The people you pay the rent to.

I spent yesterday at the hospital. Nothing bad just tests I take every 90 days to check my heart and meds and cholesterol the standard stuff. I have a heart condition caused by exposure to agent orange and the US government pays my medical bills relating to that condition.

I think it is good to live close to a hospital. From the time I arrive at the door of the hospital to being hooked up to a cardiac emergency care unit is about 2 min. I have confirmed this by experience.

Or I guess one could fly.

http://www.bangkokhospital.com/medical-services/Air-Ambulance-Insured-Services/

http://www.bangkokhospital.com/medical-services/Mobile-Cardiac-Care-Unit/

I have gone to emergency in both Thailand and the States where money was no object. I have no complaints with the care at either location. 8 hours in the States $30,000 dollars. 8 days Thailand $6,000.

in Thailand (in other countries too), documents are superfluous if there is no money flowing.

A particular issue with Thailand in relation to Farangland is the lack of legal frameworks to reliably take control of the affairs of people who through health problems can't maintain control of their own affairs.

Of course even in Thailand you can sign a Power of Attorney, there's a likelihood that nobody will really care if you are competent to do so at the time of signing - once signed nobody need care....... They might not care about anything but the money flowing, but then that would be in their hands, the benefactor would be superfluous.

Good luck to you if the basis of your relationships here in Thailand is the transfer of funds from you to those around you.

Wish for better luck if you've not established any kind of a relationship, money based or not.

I have a direct deposit account. I have to show up to get the money. I don't think power of attorney will do it. By wheelchair or stretcher I think they have to get me there.

Everything correct. But only half of the picture:

Friend of mine had a heart attack. He is 50, slim, no drinker/smoker, goes to gym regularly.

He was in the West then. He wouldn't have made it in Thailand, for the reasons said. He was lucky.

Best way to keep from having problems here is to keep a healthy lifestyle. Keep the booze down to a minimum, don't eat too much, don't smoke etc.

Luckily I'm only 31 so don't have to worry as much about my health as some of you geezers. biggrin.png

But you already have memory loss, today you are 31, another much earlier dated post you were 33.

• Like 1

I have a direct deposit account. I have to show up to get the money. I don't think power of attorney will do it. By wheelchair or stretcher I think they have to get me there.

Well best of luck with that, because if it becomes too difficult to get you to the bank and/or you are unable to manage getting your cash out once at the bank, it might become a lot less trouble to dump you at the side of the road, or to leave you in the garden shed.

Well best of luck with that, because if it becomes too difficult to get you to the bank and/or you are unable to manage getting your cash out once at the bank, it might become a lot less trouble to dump you at the side of the road, or to leave you in the garden shed.

It is a substantial amount of money every month. Although I imagine you have little personal experience with a Thai wife. You don't have any experience first hand do you? It is nice to slag Thai people by implying they would dump you at the side of the road or leave one in the garden shed. However if you actually knew first hand what you were talking about you would know that is a silly idea. smile.png

• Like 1

Oh, where to start! And I know I must be brief or people will just pass over my posting.

Alzheimer's is one form of dementia. Other common forms are vascular dementia and alcoholic dementia, which can result when a diabetic hasn't keep blood sugar under control long-term or from long-term use of alcoholic with binge drinking several times a month. It's very common in people over 65 and I think long-term expats experience it at a fairly high level due to lifestyle choices when younger.

Another common problem in the elderly are neurological conditions like Parkinson's, which affects motor skills. Often the mind is OK, but the person can't communicate.

We see these two conditions very commonly with Lanna Care Net clients in Chiang Mai. Sometimes people as young as in their 50s. Quite frequently will expats over age 65.

Another common problem is hospital-induced delirium -- the sudden onset of disorientation, agitation and hallucinations that came come when a formerly "normal" elderly person is hospitalized for something like a urinary infection or broken bone. Unfortunately, the easiest treatment for hospitals is to use benzodiazeprine sedatives and restraints which will often make the problem worse long term.

While I've not done a statistical study, in my experience every expat over age 65 that I've know to be hospitalized in the government hospital, surrounded by Thai-speakers only, develops it. Usually those in private hospital, surrounded by English-speaking staff and friends don't. The English speakers are able to calm the patient, thus making the use of sedative drugs unnecessary.

So, what's the solution if you plan to remain in Thailand forever? Develop your own safety net early. Have many friends who speak your native language (and not just drinking buddies). Cultivate friendships with several younger expats and ask one or two to be your "back-up". Explain how your finances work. Put in place a power of attorney. (The banks will honor a POA to release pension funds if the payment is made directly to the hospital.) Register with your embassy and make sure your family knows how to contact them in an emergency. They all have Thai-speakers on staff.

Of course, it goes without saying to live a healthy lifestyle. But even with that you need a safety net in place, especially if you're over age 65.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

Oh, where to start! And I know I must be brief or people will just pass over my posting.

Alzheimer's is one form of dementia. Other common forms are vascular dementia and alcoholic dementia, which can result when a diabetic hasn't keep blood sugar under control long-term or from long-term use of alcoholic with binge drinking several times a month. It's very common in people over 65 and I think long-term expats experience it at a fairly high level due to lifestyle choices when younger.

Another common problem in the elderly are neurological conditions like Parkinson's, which affects motor skills. Often the mind is OK, but the person can't communicate.

We see these two conditions very commonly with Lanna Care Net clients in Chiang Mai. Sometimes people as young as in their 50s. Quite frequently will expats over age 65.

Another common problem is hospital-induced delirium -- the sudden onset of disorientation, agitation and hallucinations that came come when a formerly "normal" elderly person is hospitalized for something like a urinary infection or broken bone. Unfortunately, the easiest treatment for hospitals is to use benzodiazeprine sedatives and restraints which will often make the problem worse long term.

While I've not done a statistical study, in my experience every expat over age 65 that I've know to be hospitalized in the government hospital, surrounded by Thai-speakers only, develops it. Usually those in private hospital, surrounded by English-speaking staff and friends don't. The English speakers are able to calm the patient, thus making the use of sedative drugs unnecessary.

So, what's the solution if you plan to remain in Thailand forever? Develop your own safety net early. Have many friends who speak your native language (and not just drinking buddies). Cultivate friendships with several younger expats and ask one or two to be your "back-up". Explain how your finances work. Put in place a power of attorney. (The banks will honor a POA to release pension funds if the payment is made directly to the hospital.) Register with your embassy and make sure your family knows how to contact them in an emergency. They all have Thai-speakers on staff.

Of course, it goes without saying to live a healthy lifestyle. But even with that you need a safety net in place, especially if you're over age 65.

Social Security from the US is direct deposit and as far as I know banks will not honor POA. But hey let me know if I am wrong.wai.gif

It's been my experience that banks will honor a POA if the funds are released directly to the health-care provider and not the person holding the POA. Sometimes the bank manager has asked to go visit the account holder in the hospital (where they talk with the nurses, of course), just to confirm that the funds are being used to care for the account holder.

If someone needs longer term care, say at McKean Hospital or Dok Kaew assisted living faciliity in Chiang Mai, then the facility can arrange for the SS check to be directly credited to their account. The American consulate is involved in setting this up.

I don't know about situations where someone is cared-for at home and their Thai family needs access to the funds. Again, I think the consulate could assist in setting up something long-term. The American consular officials will do home "welfare visits" and are very helpful for elderly Americans. Unfortunately, consulates for other nationalities are sometimes prohibited from doing home visits, which is part of why Lanna Care Net was establsihed.

It's been my experience that banks will honor a POA if the funds are released directly to the health-care provider and not the person holding the POA. Sometimes the bank manager has asked to go visit the account holder in the hospital (where they talk with the nurses, of course), just to confirm that the funds are being used to care for the account holder.

If someone needs longer term care, say at McKean Hospital or Dok Kaew assisted living faciliity in Chiang Mai, then the facility can arrange for the SS check to be directly credited to their account. The American consulate is involved in setting this up.

I don't know about situations where someone is cared-for at home and their Thai family needs access to the funds. Again, I think the consulate could assist in setting up something long-term. The American consular officials will do home "welfare visits" and are very helpful for elderly Americans. Unfortunately, consulates for other nationalities are sometimes prohibited from doing home visits, which is part of why Lanna Care Net was establsihed.

Thanks for the info. I had imagined them taking me to the bank on a stretcher.smile.png

That's interesting. I wonder why some consulates are prohibited and others not.

I would imagine though that a great number of people would be cared for at home.

Would seem a bit strange to have to access funds through a consulate.

It is a substantial amount of money every month. Although I imagine you have little personal experience with a Thai wife. You don't have any experience first hand do you? It is nice to slag Thai people by implying they would dump you at the side of the road or leave one in the garden shed. However if you actually knew first hand what you were talking about you would know that is a silly idea.

If you go back to the first post of mine to which you responded you'll see I made specific reference to "If the basis of your relationship is handing over cash to those around you" and a reference to 'not having established any kind of a relationship'.

What I have not made reference to (not even a tiny mention) is the other hslf of these relationships being Thai.

I have clearly stated the diffrernce between the protections available bsck in Farangland compared with the total lack of protections here in Thailand but I have not even suggested that thise who might take advantage of the lack of legal protections would be Thai.

They would, by the logic of my statements (what I have actually said, not what you dreamed up for me) very likely be the recipients of monthly handouts in relationships which are based on cash handouts.

As an observation your comment about substantial amonts of money is only relevant in that the rewards might be higher.

Forget the money, focus on the basis of relationship.

As for my own experiences, I'll leave those to your fertive imagination, but I'll thank you to keep your speculation to yourself - baseless as it is.

^ And for clarity because you seem to like to imagine things have been said that have not been said.

I have not jn any sense suggested that your personal relationships are based on you dishing out the cash.

The sentence 'If the basis of a reltionship is transferring funds to those around you' - is not directed at you personally and need not apply to you at all - unless of course the circumstances of the statement do actually apply.

Again I am in no way saying they do.

Edited by GuestHouse

Hands up, lets see for anyone who thinks this post is about someone other than Chiang Mai Kelly? Next, hands up for anyone who thinks I don't have a Thai woman? OK now #3 hands up for anyone who thinks this post is not uncomplimentary of Thai people?

Edited by chiangmaikelly