Are You Worried About Your Health

kevvy

I have a direct deposit account. I have to show up to get the money. I don't think power of attorney will do it. By wheelchair or stretcher I think they have to get me there.

Well best of luck with that, because if it becomes too difficult to get you to the bank and/or you are unable to manage getting your cash out once at the bank, it might become a lot less trouble to dump you at the side of the road, or to leave you in the garden shed.

Please highlight the reference to Thai people, Thai person, or anything Thai in the above.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It probably costs you less (of course OMMV) to get a yearly physical checkup than it costs to maintain your car. Priorities.

:-)

This is why I brought up the issue of dementia. No amount of checking is going to prevent it and in its nature it tends to be long. To put it bluntly the afflicted is basically "out of it".

If you are physically afflicted then I think to a certain extent you can organise your own life and have control, however when you are mentally effected it is a very different story.

I have a direct deposit account. I have to show up to get the money. I don't think power of attorney will do it. By wheelchair or stretcher I think they have to get me there.

Well best of luck with that, because if it becomes too difficult to get you to the bank and/or you are unable to manage getting your cash out once at the bank, it might become a lot less trouble to dump you at the side of the road, or to leave you in the garden shed.

Please highlight the reference to Thai people, Thai person, or anything Thai in the above.

1. Chiang Mai Kelly. 2. Thai Visa. 3. Where do we all live? 4. What do we talk about? 5. Are we talking about dementia in London?

^ I'm sorry, CM, I don't seem to have as much time as you do to devote to being permanently offended.

But let me say this one more time just incase you (or anyone else) misses the point.

IF your relationship in Thailand is based on you dishing out cash then get your head around the idea that if dementia hits you (old or young) there are no legal frameworks in place in Thailand (i.e. trust law) to provide for the safe and secure handling of your affairs in your best interest.

IF that is you in a relationship based on you dishing out money and the only option to get hold of the money required to take care of you in old age is to present you personally at the bank then hope and pray that you are able to conduct the transaction once there - and/or that who ever it is who acts on your behalf does not find a way to bypass you in the transaction.

I make no judgement or comment on where in the world the other half of any such relationship comes from - It is the lack of laws protecting those who cannot take care of their own affairs that is the root cause of a significant risk.

IF you simply have not been unable to form any kind of a relationship here then I would advise some serious thought on the plans for if health prevents you looking after yourself.

Is that clear enough for you CM or do you still insist on being offended?

Nah, don't answer that.

Edited by GuestHouse

Well you really stopped this thread in it's tracks didn't ya? Same old stuff. About the money somewhere and how bad it is to have a relationship based on money and your are treading water so fast who knows what countrty you were talking about. Surely not Thailand. I know this is a Thai forum and you don't have a Thai wife but we will just forget all about that.

Gee GH you have never offended me. I kind of like you. I came to Thailand because I like Thai women. I would not have it any other way. I feel sorry for men who don't have a Thai wife, GF and whatever. I have a Thai dog, Thai women, Thai doctors, Thai food. I have autographed photos of Yingluck in my bedroom.

I forget stuff. It worries me. Someday I may forget something important and my wife find it in my pocket.

That's interesting. I wonder why some consulates are prohibited and others not.

I would imagine though that a great number of people would be cared for at home.

Would seem a bit strange to have to access funds through a consulate.

No, the funds are not accessed through the consulate. The consulate works with the institution providing long-term care in arranging to have the Social Security checks deposited directly to the institution. The Consulate never touches the money. Other countries will deposit old age pensions directly with an long-term care instituion, too.This is no different than in the U.S., when my father's SS check was directly deposited with the nursing home when he had to be moved to one.

Each country sets its own rules for it consular employees. Often the Honorary Consuls are more restricted than the full consulates.

About another point, unfortunately dementia often proceeds slowly and the afflicted person can deny that they are loosing their ability to handle money. Sometimes, they give both their ATM card and PIN number to a family member. If that person isn't trustworthy, then there can be big problems, up to and including the account being shutdown because of unusual activity. If the account is in a expat's foreign country, sometimes it can be frozen until the account holder is able to show up in person at the bank to clear up the problem and/or close the account and withdraw the funds. That often isn't a viable option for a long-term resident expat with dementia and perhaps physical problems.

Difficulty in managing funds is often an early sign of dementia and it can create a type of elder abuse.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

That's interesting. I wonder why some consulates are prohibited and others not.

I would imagine though that a great number of people would be cared for at home.

Would seem a bit strange to have to access funds through a consulate.

No, the funds are not accessed through the consulate. The consulate works with the institution providing long-term care in arranging to have the Social Security checks deposited directly to the institution. The Consulate never touches the money. Other countries will deposit old age pensions directly with an long-term care instituion, too.This is no different than in the U.S., when my father's SS check was directly deposited with the nursing home when he had to be moved to one.

Each country sets its own rules for it consular employees. Often the Honorary Consuls are more restricted than the full consulates.

About another point, unfortunately dementia often proceeds slowly and the afflicted person can deny that they are loosing their ability to handle money. Sometimes, they give both their ATM card and PIN number to a family member. If that person isn't trustworthy, then there can be big problems, up to and including the account being shutdown because of unusual activity. If the account is in a expat's foreign country, sometimes it can be frozen until the account holder is able to show up in person at the bank to clear up the problem and/or close the account and withdraw the funds. That often isn't a viable option for a long-term resident expat with dementia and perhaps physical problems.

Difficulty in managing funds is often an early sign of dementia and it can create a type of elder abuse.

I was in the hospital in an ICU unit and my 50,000 per day limit on the ATM card that I carry was reached quickly. Of course I had to give my wife my other cards to pay the rest of the bill. When they (24 hr) maxed out she had to loan me the money for 24 hours till my cards opened up again. If it happens again I imagine the bank would give me a few days to pay as I now go there monthly for check ups.

But you bring up an interesting point. I guess at some time one has to trust someone.

Ok.

Seems like a lot of hassle to me and I would have thought that the hospital would accept some sort of initial down payment and the balance upon release.

Another thing learned I guess.

I was a bit surprised. But push never came to shove because we had the money available. Maybe they would have waited.

Stop worrying and start living. What if this and what if that? rolleyes.gif

You're definitely not in the right country if you're worrying about this kind of stuff.

That's fine until you or a loved one is in need of critical care. There are time constraints to critical care treatment and it makes the difference between life and death, a fully recovery or becoming a vegetable. Many TVF members are at risk for a cardiovascular and circulatory crisis. If I had a family history of heart disease, I'd want to be within 30 minutes of a critical care facility. You do realize that strokes can be successfully managed and the damage prevented if medical treatment is given within the first 30 to 60 minutes. What about a kid that suffers a snake bite? You don't want to know how many people show up at the hospital when it is too late. One of the biggest problems in rural health care is that lack of accessibility to ER care and it shows in the complications such as infections and amputations.

Thailand is a country without a competent and professional EMT service. Drop to the ground in a midsized western developed asian town and chances are you will survive. Drop to the ground in Bangkok and people will come stare and point. In a country where most males have done military service, the typical Thai response is ineffective. If it happens in Singapore or South Korea or Germany, chances are that a passerby knows CPR and basic first aid. I respect the choice of being prudent.

As someone who has a life-long illness I do understand what you are saying. Having a renal failure is no fun and I'm always aware that if I do get sick there is a good chance that the worse could happen.

However after having renal failure for most of my life I have realised that life is too short to wrap yourself up in cotton wool. Of course I've made choices based on my health. I live in Bangkok where the hospitals are at least in the city with excellent care.

I never thought I'd ever be able to leave the UK to go on holiday because of my illness... Never mind moving out here. It's all in your mind and it's up to you to take that risk.

You take a risk every single day, even if its just crossing the road.