What Are The Most Dangerous Animals In Thailand?

Cheesekraft

Alligators, Pit vipers and cobras often get in the Village, mosquito's of course, and some thing the Town Hall catcher guys, say is not good, have had 2 in my garden in 9 years,,,,,,,,,, looks like a snake 1.4 m long but has legs and moves very fast.

There are a few crocs left in the wild here in Thailand but not that many unless, you live near a commercial croc farm that is suseptible to flooding, and but pretty sure no aligators. Also, I would be very interested to learn more about your local critter that "looks like a snake 1.4 m long but has legs and moves very fast'. Any photo's or pics perchance?

Edit to note the info provided by 27, 31 and 32 but still curious about the size.

The men that come from the Town hall to catch these things said alligators., before reply just been across the road, the Lady came to me screening as one came into her house last year, also says alligator, so no idea which , but they come often, maybe 10 or so big ones a year in the Village every year for the past 9 years, oddly only 2 this year since last years floods,. small one yes, but not the 2 - 3+ meter ones. The big ones, the 2 men in there pickup call someone and 3 more men arrive with a big 3 ton pick truck it take all 5 to get it, and to lift it on the truck..

While across the road asked her husband about the snake like thing 1.4 m long, [as he called the men] he said the men from the Counsel/ Town Hall said it was a rare type of large Lizard... to me it looked like a Snake with legs, and had a forked tongue like a snake....... to catch it the men used smoke which appeared to make it sleepy, they taped it mouth and took both of them to carry out to there pickup..

As I understand all these things they take to Zoos or Farms..after documents there size and location

Difficult to know as Thais call a mouse a rat

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alligators, Pit vipers and cobras often get in the Village, mosquito's of course, and some thing the Town Hall catcher guys, say is not good, have had 2 in my garden in 9 years,,,,,,,,,, looks like a snake 1.4 m long but has legs and moves very fast.

There are a few crocs left in the wild here in Thailand but not that many unless, you live near a commercial croc farm that is suseptible to flooding, and but pretty sure no aligators. Also, I would be very interested to learn more about your local critter that "looks like a snake 1.4 m long but has legs and moves very fast'. Any photo's or pics perchance?

Edit to note the info provided by 27, 31 and 32 but still curious about the size.

The men that come from the Town hall to catch these things said alligators., before reply just been across the road, the Lady came to me screening as one came into her house last year, also says alligator, so no idea which , but they come often, maybe 10 or so big ones a year in the Village every year for the past 9 years, oddly only 2 this year since last years floods,. small one yes, but not the 2 - 3+ meter ones. The big ones, the 2 men in there pickup call someone and 3 more men arrive with a big 3 ton pick truck it take all 5 to get it, and to lift it on the truck..

While across the road asked her husband about the snake like thing 1.4 m long, [as he called the men] he said the men from the Counsel/ Town Hall said it was a rare type of large Lizard... to me it looked like a Snake with legs, and had a forked tongue like a snake....... to catch it the men used smoke which appeared to make it sleepy, they taped it mouth and took both of them to carry out to there pickup..

As I understand all these things they take to Zoos or Farms..after documents there size and location

Whoa mate, you live in a very interesting locale. Might I ask what general area? And after a quick search it appears I am in error concerning no aligators in Thailand although not too common. Still interested in the type of lizard you described. 1.4 m long sounds like a monitor but your description makes it out to be something much different. At any rate, I do hope you carry a powerful torch when out and about at night. Good Luck!

Whoa mate, you live in a very interesting locale. Might I ask what general area? And after a quick search it appears I am in error concerning no aligators in Thailand although not too common. Still interested in the type of lizard you described. 1.4 m long sounds like a monitor but your description makes it out to be something much different. At any rate, I do hope you carry a powerful torch when out and about at night. Good Luck!

North West in Nonthaburi Provence, verging on Ratchaburi Provence.......... little over 55 km to BKK, same distance to Burma.......... maybe some of these things come from the Jungle area over towards Burma ?

Edited by ignis

North West in Nonthaburi Provence, verging on Ratchaburi Provence.......... little over 55 km to BKK, same distance to Burma.......... maybe some of these things come from the Jungle area over towards Burma ?

I thank ya' kindly for the info squire.

Cheers, dap

Sounds like an 'Ahia' to me. The silver and gold animal. Monitor lizard. No other lizard is over a metre in length. A hated animal in Thailand. The Thais sometimes chuck them in the back of a truck and dump them on an enamie's property for bad luck.

As for the most dangerous. Does Thailand have those blue-ringed octopus things in her waters? They're one of the most venomious creatures on earth.

About a days walk through the jungle from Phato there are wild elephants, they can be very dangerous, but to get to them you have got to trek past the snakes, leeches, spiders, civet cats, wild monkeys, mosquitos and what ever else is lurking in the damp dark jungle.

Sent from my GT-I9003

Sounds like an 'Ahia' to me. The silver and gold animal. Monitor lizard. No other lizard is over a metre in length. A hated animal in Thailand. The Thais sometimes chuck them in the back of a truck and dump them on an enamie's property for bad luck.

As for the most dangerous. Does Thailand have those blue-ringed octopus things in her waters? They're one of the most venomious creatures on earth.

As far as I know Australia is the only place you can find the blue ringed octopus.

Sent from my GT-I9003

Geckos look pretty scary, I saw one as large as a cat.

I'm pretty sure that geckos don't grow as big as a full grown cat.

Maybe a water monitor lizard. Saw one of them about 1.5 metres long once.

I suppose it depends how you define "most dangerous"

As all ready posted, mozzies probably cause most deaths and sickness.

I guess the tiger could qualify, if there are any left in the wild. Same goes for male elephants when they are keen to mate.

Saw a gecko on samui once, big as a Thai cat for sure.

I guess the tiger could qualify, if there are any left in the wild. Same goes for male elephants when they are keen to mate.

That sound like a normal common Iguanas, either brown or green is the ones I have seen.... when they jump on your bare shoulder they feel nothing like a cat, there feet feel most odd. not at all dangerous well they are to flies and Mosquitoes..

They are interesting there eyes move independently of each other, and there tongue is so very long.

The Thai word for alligator is the same as the word for crocodile too.

If you are talking about length, then maybe the largest gecko is similar in length to the smallest cat. Body mass wise, the gecko is much smaller.

I'm pretty sure that you are mistaking another lizard for a gecko.

Sorry no, nothing like a Monitor, seen plenty of them.......

Nearest photo I have ever come across is a Alligator Lizard which is the right shape and colour,,,,,,,,,, Appears on different search pages reports of these at 1 - 1½ meters long Alligator Lizards in Malaysia and Burma.. must say it was very beautiful, only with 6 dogs and over 200 fish, not something you want living in the garden.

Would have taken a photo, had no idea it was something rare..

This country has many dangerous creatures ranging from moskitoes to murderous wives and business partners.

However, the most dangerous thing to your personal safety is yourself.

If you plunge into the ocean, or even your hotel pool, when you can't swim you may kill yourself.

If you drunkenly sit on the edge of your sky high hotel balcony you may topple off and kill yourself.

If you get on a motor bike and drive at high speed when unskilled, drunk or helmetless you may kill yourself.

If you get into a drunken fight with a local (over a $2 taxi fare or similar) you may kill yourself.

If you think this is a great place to smuggle, deal or even just use, hard drugs you may kill yourself.

If you think you are the smartest businessman/property dealer around and decide to rip people off you may kill yourself.

If you think you're the toughest guy at the local dojo and bring your attitude to the pub you may kill yourself.

If you really believe the cute, 20 year old bargirl wants you for something other than money, it may end up very bad for you.

Best post and great advice.

That sound like a normal common Iguanas, either brown or green is the ones I have seen.... when they jump on your bare shoulder they feel nothing like a cat, there feet feel most odd. not at all dangerous well they are to flies and Mosquitoes..

They are interesting there eyes move independently of each other, and there tongue is so very long.

No a gecko for sure, splayed toes with blobs on the end as opposed to claws, don't look anything like an iguana which in any case isn't found in Thailand

Aint likely to be jumping on your shoulder as they are a most shy creature.

If you are talking about length, then maybe the largest gecko is similar in length to the smallest cat. Body mass wise, the gecko is much smaller.

I'm pretty sure that you are mistaking another lizard for a gecko.

No a gecko for sure, halfway up a wall with splayed toes with blobs on the end as opposed to claws, blew my mind at the time as I didn't think they got that big and I've seen plenty in my 47yrs coming here.

Mossys (mainly dengue but malaria is coming)

Viper and cobra

Scorpion

Centipedes

Clouded Bengal Monitor

DOGS

All common, but I have never seen cobra in Thailand. India, Viet, Cambo an Burma yes.

Since the die off of all the coral many dangers have abated but...

Stingray

Stonefish

Frogfish

Lionfish

Moray (these are very aggressive now)

Sea snake (uncommon now)

Any massive fish Trigger, Parrot, Grouper

Edited by bangkokburning

No a gecko for sure, splayed toes with blobs on the end as opposed to claws, don't look anything like an iguana which in any case isn't found in Thailand

Aint likely to be jumping on your shoulder as they are a most shy creature.

Sorry they are in Thailand and have seen them, had one in the house for some time, very friendly then one day was gone....

maybe put this into Google Search..........Images for Iguanas,in Thailand