International Driver Permit From Aaa In Us - Is It Worth Anything In Thailand?

JaiRaiJaiDee

An international drivers permit supported by a licence from the country of origin is the minimum legal requirement here. Anyone listening to the "you don't really need it" brigade are leaving themselves open to substantial bills if they follow their advice & later have an accident.

It's fine to have one, it's just not required by law. No "substantial bills" will follow an accident. None followed my accidents, nor my dads accident when he hit a Thai while visiting me with no IDP, nor several people that have shared their experiences having accidents in Thailand. See post # 18 http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/590616-international-driver-permit-from-aaa-in-us-is-it-worth-anything-in-thailand/#entry5750239

Please cite your original source of information. (as I have in post #18, and not advice from AA or consulates, as we already know that those incorrectly claim an IDP is required in Thailand)

• 2 weeks later...

If your going to be here for a year, why don't you do the correct legal thing and get a Thai DL

very easy just go in with your DL from the states annd walk out minutes later with both a Thai and your original DL from the states

I tried to get my Thai license in Chonburi (city of) and it was a huge hassle. I had all the correct paperwork they wanted and was still asking for my international driving license to get my Thai license. \

Where did you get yours?

Thanks

You carry a current IDP issued by an motoring organisation ( AA, RAC ) in your home country. Generally valid for 12 months from date of issue, carry with your valid current home country drivers licence.

Edited by electau
  • Like 1

the IDL will let you skip the written or driving part of applying for a Thai DL.

I'm from the States. Is AAA the only legit place to get and IDL? Where else can I get one? I see many MANYplaces online but AAA basically says their IDL is the only legit one.

Thank you

The National Auto Club also issues the legit ones in the states. The online ones are not legit, although having said that, AAA will process one for you via the internet. The link has been posted here before. I would email AAA.

the IDL will let you skip the written or driving part of applying for a Thai DL.

I'm from the States. Is AAA the only legit place to get and IDL? Where else can I get one? I see many MANYplaces online but AAA basically says their IDL is the only legit one.

Thank you

If your going to be here for a year, why don't you do the correct legal thing and get a Thai DL

very easy just go in with your DL from the states annd walk out minutes later with both a Thai and your original DL from the states

I tried to get my Thai license in Chonburi (city of) and it was a huge hassle. I had all the correct paperwork they wanted and was still asking for my international driving license to get my Thai license. \

Where did you get yours?

Thanks

Normally a computer printout of your home state's DMV webpage which describes the classes of license printed on your home DL is sufficient for the LTD in Thailand. Try that.

I’ve been asked for my IDP several times when renting vehicles, and also asked for it when stopped by police when I was driving a rental car that turned out to have an illegal license plate. Whether being asked for my IDP was right or wrong was irrelevant. They asked for it, I had it. End of story.

$8 for AAA members, $15 for non-members, and it’s good for a year.

Why wouldn’t you get it?

An international drivers permit supported by a licence from the country of origin is the minimum legal requirement here. Anyone listening to the "you don't really need it" brigade are leaving themselves open to substantial bills if they follow their advice & later have an accident.

It's fine to have one, it's just not required by law. No "substantial bills" will follow an accident. None followed my accidents, nor my dads accident when he hit a Thai while visiting me with no IDP, nor several people that have shared their experiences having accidents in Thailand. See post # 18 http://www.thaivisa....d/#entry5750239

Please cite your original source of information. (as I have in post #18, and not advice from AA or consulates, as we already know that those incorrectly claim an IDP is required in Thailand)

Please reduce your White Rabbit as there's no way i'm wading through a post that long to prove a point that I verified a decade ago. My Embassy in Bkk; the Thai Embassy in Uk; motoring organisations in both countries all confirmed that an IDP was required although I have long since obtained Thai licence(s).

In Laymen's terms it's quite simple; If you don't have an IDP you (the driver) could & should be liable for a substantial bill regardless of culpability. If you do have one you eliminate that possibility.

For the sake of GBP 5.50 it's a no brainer.

Edited by evadgib

I’ve been asked for my IDP several times when renting vehicles, and also asked for it when stopped by police when I was driving a rental car that turned out to have an illegal license plate. Whether being asked for my IDP was right or wrong was irrelevant. They asked for it, I had it. End of story.

$8 for AAA members, $15 for non-members, and it’s good for a year.

Why wouldn’t you get it?

Well you seem to be the only one being asked this, and anyway being asked is not the same as being required.

Actually, in all likelihood you are being asked for an "international license" which per Thai law is what your home license is if it has a photo, is in English, and your country is a contracting state to the 1949 UN Convention on road traffic.

I agree it doesn't hurt to get an IDP, but the reason why it is important to get the correct information to people is so that people don't fall for the same trap I nearly did several years ago when I first came to Thailand by buying the very convincing but illegitimate IDP's sold online which claim to be valid for several years, and cost up to 100USD. Ligitimate IDP's are about $5 to $15 USD.

Americans abroad can apply for a legitimate IDP by mail here:

http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpapplc.html

UK citizens abroad can apply for a legitimate IDP by post here:

http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/motidp002.html

Australian citizens can apply for a legitimate IDP by post here:

http://www.mynrma.com.au/images/Travel-PDF/IDP.pdf

Bogus IDP/IDL/IDD sites: 35-90USD

http://www.idlicense(dot)net/

http://www.ididl(dot)com/

http://www.idl-international(dot)com

It's fine to have one, it's just not required by law. No "substantial bills" will follow an accident. None followed my accidents, nor my dads accident when he hit a Thai while visiting me with no IDP, nor several people that have shared their experiences having accidents in Thailand. See post # 18 http://www.thaivisa....d/#entry5750239

Please reduce your White Rabbit as there's no way i'm wading through a post that long to prove a point that I verified a decade ago. My Embassy in Bkk; the Thai Embassy in Uk; motoring organisations in both countries all confirmed that an IDP was required although I have long since obtained Thai licence(s).

In Laymen's terms it's quite simple; If you don't have an IDP you (the driver) could & should be liable for a substantial bill regardless of culpability. If you do have one you eliminate that possibility.

So you refuse to read, therefor still think you need an IDP to drive legitimately here, ok, your choice.

But don't use the length of a text as an excuse to write a non truth here.

Please reduce your White Rabbit as there's no way i'm wading through a post that long to prove a point that I verified a decade ago. My Embassy in Bkk, the Thai Embassy in Uk, motoring organisations in both countries all confirmed that an IDP was required although I have long since obtained Thai licence(s).

In Laymen's terms it's quite simple; If you don't have an IDP you (the driver) could & should be liable for a substantial bill regardless of culpability as would be the case in the west. If you do have one you eliminate that possibility. For the sake of GBP 5.50 it's a no brainer.

Are you actually trying to say that you are going by something you remember from a decade ago? Not very convincing. Ten years ago the situation regarding the mutual acceptance of licenses was different than it is now. The legality of a foreign license being valid in Thailand for a tourist relies on their being a reciprocal agreement between your country and Thailand. It was not very long ago that "lifetime" (until 70 years old) licenses were issued to UK citizens. These did not have a photo on them and thus an IDP was needed. Until fairly recently Thai licenses did not have English on them, which many other countries require to be able to use them, which affects the reciprocity agreements. Now virtually all licenses have English and a photo, thus making the need for an IDP obsolete. The Thai law posted above reflects that.

But even forgetting all that, the reality is the police in Thailand, rental companies in Thailand, and insurance companies in Thailand contradict what the embassies and auto clubs claim. The experiences of people living here and the actual law also contradicts it. Auto clubs sell them, so they are not really a reliable source. And as I have posted in this thread and others, when I emailed the UK consulate about this I was told they use the auto club as their source of info, and when I email the auto clubs they cited the embassies and consulates as their source of info.

So you refuse to read, therefor still think you need an IDP to drive legitimately here, ok, your choice.

I don't think, I know!

Edited by evadgib

Please reduce your White Rabbit as there's no way i'm wading through a post that long to prove a point that I verified a decade ago. My Embassy in Bkk, the Thai Embassy in Uk, motoring organisations in both countries all confirmed that an IDP was required although I have long since obtained Thai licence(s).

In Laymen's terms it's quite simple; If you don't have an IDP you (the driver) could & should be liable for a substantial bill regardless of culpability as would be the case in the west. If you do have one you eliminate that possibility. For the sake of GBP 5.50 it's a no brainer.

Are you actually trying to say that you are going by something you remember from a decade ago? Not very convincing.

I used IDP's for several years & looked up the old files prior to posting.

Edited by evadgib

Which part of "no brainer" couldn't you comprehend?

What I comprehend is that you now admit you were incorrect in stating earlier that they are a "minimal legal requirement" and now believe they are merely a good idea, which I will not argue. It's your money.

If you google "driving in Thailand" you will find all the info you need. The Royal Thai Consulate website in the UK states YOU DO need an IDP so hopefully this will put this to bed for the Brits amongst us. This is the official up to date Thai line on the subject. For a cost of £5.50 it's not really worth arguing about.

Don't forget, the Thai police make the rules up as they go along anyway. Personally, I would prefer to go down the Royal Thai Consulates line for the paltry price it costs.

Just saying...

• Like 1

I don't think, I know!

You know so you don't have to read anymore and keep up to date on present requirements. Just read the present posts on this and you'll be surprised.

And yes, not a bad idea to have one, but required by Thai law: no.

If you google "driving in Thailand" you will find all the info you need. The Royal Thai Consulate website in the UK states YOU DO need an IDP so hopefully this will put this to bed for the Brits amongst us. This is the official up to date Thai line on the subject. For a cost of £5.50 it's not really worth arguing about.

Don't forget, the Thai police make the rules up as they go along anyway. Personally, I would prefer to go down the Royal Thai Consulates line for the paltry price it costs.

Just saying...

It indeed has been put to bed. Regardless of consulate advice (and they're never wrong whistling.gif ) the law is clear, and the situation on the ground in Thailand clearly reflects that. Rental car companies, insurance and police all accept foreign licenses for tourists/visitors, even when you have an accident. This has been proven time and again in both stated policy and actual experiences.

You make a good point that the Thai police make up rules on the spot. This means that if they could be doing foreign tourists for driving on their home licenses they would, but they aren't. They can't and they know it. In the 2 or three cases I have heard of it wasn't clear whether the foreigner was getting cited for having the wrong class of license or the cop decided that the foreigner was a resident and not a tourist and thus needed a Thai DL. In one recent case I read about the foreigner spoke Thai to the cop while trying to give him his home license. He was cited for not having the correct license. The next day he went through the same checkpoint and pointed to his home license and said "international already" and "motorcycle", (in English), which it was, and he was waved on. Of course the odd cop will try one on, which is why an IDP is still recommended. It certainly doesn't hurt. The consulates are out of date and probably just erring on the side of caution. I expect that will change soon as some other websites are currently updating after I sent them the Thai language documents I received from the Highway Police on the subject.

Edited by NomadJoe

Insurers need very little excuse to avoid paying a bill. The police frankly have no idea what the law entails & nor does the average rental company. A shrewd insurer will wriggle out at the earliest opportunity & not having an IDP is right up there along with Helmet, Engine size (Bikes), Seat belts, Full driving licence & Toxicology results (Drink/Drugs).

As far as I am concerned anyone who drives here without the appropriate documentation (inc the "I got away with its" above) are playing Russian Roulette with their life savings & perhaps their health & liberty too.

Edit: In addition to Thai DL for long term residents "Black Box" devices for cars have been discussed elsewhere and are worth mentioning here....

Edited by evadgib

Insurers need very little excuse to avoid paying a bill. The police frankly have no idea what the law entails & nor does the average rental company. A shrewd insurer will wriggle out at the earliest opportunity & not having an IDP is right up there along with Helmet, Engine size (Bikes), Seat belts, Full driving licence & Toxicology results (Drink/Drugs).

The difference is that riding under the influence is illegal, havng a valid home license is legal.

If that's the case how can insurers cite lack of IPD to justify not paying claims?

They can't, looking forward to seeing the letters. Unless of course the home license is not in English, or the person making the claim does not possess a valid license for the vehicle. Many people e.g. drive a motorbike here thinking their car license will be a valid license.
  • Like 1

So a UK licence w photo ID doubles as an IDP here? If so why are Embassies & motoring orgs saying otherwise & why are so many (I saw something from the AA recently suggesting they're processing over 100k IDP's per year) bothering in the first place?

I have nothing further to add to this debate. I hope anyone seeking guidance on driving regs makes the right decision.

So a UK licence w photo ID doubles as an IDP here?

I have nothing further to add to this debate. I hope anyone seeking guidance on driving regs makes the right decision.

Not a UK license with Photo ID, but a UK license with a photo.

If so why are Embassies & motoring orgs saying otherwise...

Been covered already. UK and many other licenses didn't have photos at the time of the UN Convention 60 years ago. (Many valid UK licenses still don't have pictures, and for those you need an IDP.) Look through the thread again, the wording of the Un Convention and Thai Motoring law is clear. Consulates will always err on the side of caution, and AA. AAA etc sell the things so they are biased and the consulates use them as if they are an original source, but they aren't. E.g. look at this quote:

" Our advice on driving in Thailand is based on information from the Australian Automobile Association (AAA)"

Consular Information Section

Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade

Canberra

...& why are so many (I saw something from the AA recently suggesting they're processing over 100k IDP's per year) bothering in the first place?

The 100k IDP's are citizens travelling world wide, not just Thailand. This thread is about Thailand. A great many countries do require them,some don't. I would not drive in China, Japan, Italy, among many others, without one. In the US IDP's are not valid. As a foreign visitor you can drive on your home license therewith no IDP full stop.

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 1

The "like" was for the middle paragraph. If it proves to be true it should be posted as a sticky:)

Yeah I know right? Pm me your email address and I will forward the email from the consulate to you!! :)

I also have an email from the UK Automobile Association in which they state that, among other places, they get their info on IDP's from the consulates!

The 100k IDP's are citizens travelling world wide, not just Thailand. This thread is about Thailand. A great many countries do require them,some don't. I would not drive in China, Japan, Italy, among many others, without one. In the US IDP's are not valid. As a foreign visitor you can drive on your home license therewith no IDP full stop.

Let's not quote misinformation:

http://www.usa.gov/Topics/Foreign-Visitors-Driving.shtml

If you plan to drive when you visit the United States, check the driving rules in the state(s) you'll be visiting to verify that you can use your non-U.S. driver's license. You should get an International Driving Permit (IDP), which translates the information contained on your official driver's license into 10 languages.

The United States does not issue International Driving Permits to foreign visitors, so you will need to obtain this document in your home country before you travel to the United States.

Let's not quote misinformation:

http://www.usa.gov/T...s-Driving.shtml

If you plan to drive when you visit the United States, check the driving rules in the state(s) you'll be visiting to verify that you can use your non-U.S. driver's license. You should get an International Driving Permit (IDP), which translates the information contained on your official driver's license into 10 languages.

The United States does not issue International Driving Permits to foreign visitors, so you will need to obtain this document in your home country before you travel to the United States.

Ok, I will amend my comment slightly. Nearly all states don't require an IDP. I had never heard of one that did and I have checked several. However, I did just read that Hawaii requires it. California, New York, and Alaska don't.

"The State of California does not recognize an International Driving Permit (IDP) as a valid driver license. California does recognize a valid driver license that is issued by a foreign jurisdiction (country, state, territory) of which the license holder is a resident."

http://www.dmv.ca.go...m#international

"A valid driver license from another country is also valid in NYS."

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/license.htm#driversfromothernations

"You are welcome to use your valid non-commercial license from another state, US Territory or country to drive in Alaska, provided you are at least 16 years of age."

http://doa.alaska.gov/dmv/akol/new2ak.htm

Edited by NomadJoe

• 7 years later...

I would highly suggest you get a Thai driving license because it will be done easily with your US license. all it matters a half a day for you to get a color and reaction test and you are good to go. If you are a Foreigner wanting to drive in Thailand a valid International Driving Permit issued in your home country is enough. Only the Department of Land Transport can issue the International Drivers License, other private business can't do it, though they are not valid. if you want to get an international driver's license at AAA download application and carry Two original passport pictures along with you during the visit. make sure you know the aaa hours before making an appointment.

13 hours ago, Fairyty said:

I would highly suggest you get a Thai driving license because it will be done easily with your US license. all it matters a half a day for you to get a color and reaction test and you are good to go. If you are a Foreigner wanting to drive in Thailand a valid International Driving Permit issued in your home country is enough. Only the Department of Land Transport can issue the International Drivers License, other private business can't do it, though they are not valid. if you want to get an international driver's license at AAA download application and carry Two original passport pictures along with you during the visit. make sure you know the aaa hours before making an appointment.

fyi; those on visa exempt, tourists visas might find it hard to impossible to get a Thai drives license