U-Turn Seen On Thaksin Passport

webfact

Thank god he was abroad when it was issued, otherwise his passport may have been dropped in the Bangkok flood and ruined, another smart move by PTP

Really rixalex the deluded people are surely those that think the time taken by a handful of staff to produce one passport made any difference to the tons of water cascading through Bangkok........

Can't you guys come up with something better than that.......I guess not...coffee1.gif

If you think that the producing of a passport, in these sorts of circumstances - both the circumstances of the "applicant" and the circumstances that the country was in at the time, would take a handful of staff at matter of moments, well then you obviously aren't very familiar with Thai bureaucracy.

And no, i'm not saying that the reissuing of the passport made the floods any worse, but i am saying that at that time, people had a right to expect the government to be singularly focused on the matter of dealing with the disaster and its victims. It is after all, not like they were on top of that as it was.

Do you know anything about Thailand? rich people do not suffer from Thai bureaucracy.......no government can afford to be singularily focused......'on top of it' I thought the flood committee were in the middle of it!!!............................keep trying....coffee1.gif

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you know anything about Thailand? rich people do not suffer from Thai bureaucracy.......

Rich people don't suffer from it in the sense they have a team of workers who do the suffering for them, but it still doesn't mean that they can do everything overnight. The amount of time it took from PTP taking power to PTP personally delivering him his passport, demonstrates that.

Do you know anything about Thailand? rich people do not suffer from Thai bureaucracy.......

Rich people don't suffer from it in the sense they have a team of workers who do the suffering for them, but it still doesn't mean that they can do everything overnight. The amount of time it took from PTP taking power to PTP personally delivering him his passport, demonstrates that.

Obviously you have never paid to speed things through the system, or you were taken for a ride when you did......

Oh and you better explain to your friends, as I seem to recall they were complaining about the indecent haste in providing the passport...blink.png

Try again.....coffee1.gif .

Thaksin's Thai passport was revoked in April 2009 by then foreign minister Kasit. The current minister, Surapong Towichukchaikul, issued Thaksin a new one in October last year via the Thai Embassy in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

The old boys network will probably see it reissued again at some point in time! If not I would suspect that with his wealth he could obtain a Hong kong/Cambodian passport?

I guess that without a passport he would be unable to obtain and meet visa requirements which would in turn see him deported back to Thailand?

Let the games begin!

Would he actually be deported to Thailand? My understanding of UK practice is that if a foreigner is refused entry to the UK he is deported to the country that he/she entered the country from rather than his own country. Wouldn't that be standard World practice? Furthermore the airline or shipping company bringing the refusee have to take away him/her at their expense. What happens if the undesirable arrives by hang glider? You could sell tickets to see him/her launch themselves off the White Cliffs of Dover or at Land's End. laugh.png

He's got other passports anyway. It was just a symbolic thing.

What's symbolic about having a Passport revoked for your own Country? and joining the list of undesirables?

two blows in a week from the Establishment, first the arrest warrant, then the ombudsman doing this, I bet he'll call it all politically motivated, and within a week pop up in Zimbabwe with Noppodom Pattama still pointing out he's free to travel the world on any passport he likes cause no one recognises a Thai arrest warrant.

A Thai arrest warrant would be recognised anywhere in....................................................................................................Thailand.

Obviously you have never paid to speed things through the system, or you were taken for a ride when you did......

Some things can be sped up sure, still doesn't mean you can get anything and everything done overnight.

Oh and you better explain to your friends, as I seem to recall they were complaining about the indecent haste in providing the passport...blink.png

The issue wasn't about indecent haste, but about the the indecent timing, and about the indecent trousers down, bend over type attitude of the Foreign Minister in his actions on serving the needs of one on the run criminal.

Some things can be sped up sure, still doesn't mean you can get anything and everything done overnight.

The issue wasn't about indecent haste, but about the the indecent timing, and about the indecent trousers down, bend over type attitude of the Foreign Minister in his actions on serving the needs of one on the run criminal.

Oh dear a little at odds with yourself here rixalex....one moment you are saying things cannot be speeded up, then you say they weren't, then you say the 'trousers down bend over' which would suggest that is exactly what you accept happened.......

So do you imply this was just another every day passport processing.........try again coffee1.gif

Edited by 473geo

" via the Thai Embassy in Abu Dhabi" ???

As I understood it, the MoFA hand delivered, probably on his knees.

It wouldn't be the first time you've been wrong though, would it?

I once thought that I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Oh dear a little at odds with yourself here rixalex....one moment you are saying things cannot be speeded up,

Erm.. no i didn't.

then you say they weren't,

No, didn't say that either.

then you say the 'trousers down bend over' which would suggest that is exactly what you accept happened.......

No it doesn't.

So do you imply this was just another every day passport processing.........try again coffee1.gif

No i don't.

Oh dear a little at odds with yourself here rixalex....one moment you are saying things cannot be speeded up,

Erm.. no i didn't.

(I had to snip the quotes or I couldn´t post)

Flawless Fail! cheesy.gif

OIC, your saying the actual processing of the necessary documents and the production of the little book took several months. So inefficent, maybe that department needs a new minister who can get things to be more efficient. Can't keep people waiting that long, not proper is it.

Erm.. no i didn't.

(I had to snip the quotes or I couldn´t post)

Flawless Fail! cheesy.gif

Indeed....because for some obscure reason which he has absolutely failed to explain......rixalex has posted that the processing of a single passport is responsible for the inundation of Bangkok and surrounding areas with tons of water..........blink.png

Indeed I am surprised he has not criticised the ministry for processing all the other passports instead of rushing out and laying sand bags, what were they thinking of..........or maybe just the one passport complicated the flooding planning and administration....cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by 473geo

Indeed....because for some obscure reason which he has absolutely failed to explain......rixalex has posted that the processing of a single passport is responsible for the inundation of Bangkok and surrounding areas with tons of water..........blink.png

Posted nothing of the sort. Just making things up as you go along now.

And no, i'm not saying that the reissuing of the passport made the floods any worse,

Indeed I am surprised he has not criticised the ministry for processing all the other passports instead of rushing out and laying sand bags, what were they thinking of..........or maybe just the one passport complicated the flooding planning and administration....cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

All the other passports? What other passports? The ministry was closed because of the floods.

Thaksin's Thai passport was revoked in April 2009 by then foreign minister Kasit. The current minister, Surapong Towichukchaikul, issued Thaksin a new one in October last year via the Thai Embassy in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

The old boys network will probably see it reissued again at some point in time! If not I would suspect that with his wealth he could obtain a Hong kong/Cambodian passport?

I guess that without a passport he would be unable to obtain and meet visa requirements which would in turn see him deported back to Thailand?

Let the games begin!

Would he actually be deported to Thailand? My understanding of UK practice is that if a foreigner is refused entry to the UK he is deported to the country that he/she entered the country from rather than his own country. Wouldn't that be standard World practice? Furthermore the airline or shipping company bringing the refusee have to take away him/her at their expense. What happens if the undesirable arrives by hang glider? You could sell tickets to see him/her launch themselves off the White Cliffs of Dover or at Land's End. laugh.png

I think you're right about the refusal of entry procedure. That's why airlines like you to have a return ticket when flying so that if you get refused they've been paid to return you.

I was under the impression he had a passport (other than the Thai one) from Macedonia or somewhere like that.

I'm not sure if you have to, or are able to revoke something that wasn't legal in the first place. He may have the passport book but if it's illegal it's not valid. The passport probably remains the property of the Thai government and has to be returned.

Brilliant move by PTP, Thaksin had no real requirement for a Thai passport, turning the insistant clamour to have it revoked into a feather of fairness and judgement in the PTP cap,also accentuating the PTP adherance to legal responsibilities is good news for Thailand.

Thaksin did have a real requirement for the passport. No, not for travelling, but for what the document symbolised. Having his passport revoked was a matter of embarrassment, and having it reissued helped redress that.

Having it revoked again, should it come to that, will be even more embarrassing as this time it will be his own party in power, and you can bet, it won't happen without an almighty fight from PTP, and without a lot of legal wriggling. Anyone who believes what they are saying in public about it being "no biggie", and who interprets their moves as a feather of fairness and judgement, is clearly in a deeply deluded state, especially when considering the way they went about reissuing said passport during the floods.

The trouble is there are many people in a deeply deluded state.

Brilliant move by PTP, Thaksin had no real requirement for a Thai passport, turning the insistant clamour to have it revoked into a feather of fairness and judgement in the PTP cap,also accentuating the PTP adherance to legal responsibilities is good news for Thailand.

Thaksin did have a real requirement for the passport. No, not for travelling, but for what the document symbolised. Having his passport revoked was a matter of embarrassment, and having it reissued helped redress that.

Having it revoked again, should it come to that, will be even more embarrassing as this time it will be his own party in power, and you can bet, it won't happen without an almighty fight from PTP, and without a lot of legal wriggling. Anyone who believes what they are saying in public about it being "no biggie", and who interprets their moves as a feather of fairness and judgement, is clearly in a deeply deluded state, especially when considering the way they went about reissuing said passport during the floods.

The trouble is there are many people in a deeply deluded state.

Thainess is a strange thing. Most people with more money than they can ever hope to spend would feel embarrassed at devising ways of not contributing taxes to their nation whilst millions who can barely afford them still do. Being denied a travel document you don't actually need would be secondary.

Posted nothing of the sort. Just making things up as you go along now.

And no, i'm not saying that the reissuing of the passport made the floods any worse,

All the other passports? What other passports? The ministry was closed because of the floods.

Rixalex previous post: "especially when considering the way they went about reissuing said passport during the floods."

Not closed for everybody it would appear......so one passport was produced.....'during the floods'......we come full circle to your ridiculous attempt to link the production of a passport to the floods.....thank you....clap2.gif and good afternoon

Thank god he was abroad when it was issued, otherwise his passport may have been dropped in the Bangkok flood and ruined, another smart move by PTP

Really rixalex the deluded people are surely those that think the time taken by a handful of staff to produce one passport made any difference to the tons of water cascading through Bangkok........

Can't you guys come up with something better than that.......I guess not...coffee1.gif

Actually I believe that all government agencies should have been active at that time, in whatever form, in terms of the floods and the numerous problems attached. All ministries should have in some way been focused on the plight of the tens of thousands who saw their meagre possessions washed away, many wondering where / how they will re-establish a simple roof over their heads, how and when their children could get back to school, how to find some simple cooking utensils, etc.

A passport for the paymaster, knowing very well the contravercy involved should have been put aside.

And given the more recent analysis by the ombudsmens office it seems possible (not yet fully resolved) that the MOFA broke some rules, it seems doubtful to me that the ombudsmens office would raise the issue again without good cause.

How could this be? Surely the MOFA seniors would be experts on such laws and regulations. Their time should have been given to other matters, not finding some loophole outside the spirit of the law or simple, or it may well be, just ignoring the laws and regulations.

Edited by scorecard

Presume a lot depends upon various Hague Treaties, it is easy to put some one back on a plane, boat or train back to where they came from atb a port of entry but more difficult once they get into the country, presume if he landed illegally [hang glider, private plane, yacht, back of a lorry, etc] here in the UK they probably allow him leave to any country he wishes if he goes voluntarily, but if they have to "forcibly removed him I presume then he can be removed to any country he hold nationality, probably the one with the cheapest air fair.

But surprisingly he probably will not be returning back in Thailand, cattle class on Ryan Air any time soon.

Actually I believe that all government agencies should have been active at that time, in whatever form, in terms of the floods and the numerous problems attached. All ministries should have in some way been focused on the plight of the tens of thousands who saw their meagre possessions washed away, many wondering where / how they will re-establish a simple roof over their heads, how and when their children could get back to school, how to find some simple cooking utensils, etc.

A passport for the paymaster, knowing very well the contravercy involved should have been put aside.

And given the more recent analysis by the ombudsmens office it seems possible (not yet fully resolved) that the MOFA broke some rules, it seems doubtful to me that the ombudsmens office would raise the issue again without good cause.

How could this be? Surely the MOFA seniors would be experts on such laws and regulations. Their time should have been given to other matters, not finding some loophole outside the spirit of the law or simple, or it may well be, just ignoring the laws and regulations.

I guess they were concentrating so hard on the floods when informed "Thaksin wants a passport"

In the time it took to say "ok do it".......the flood situation spiralled out of control.... crazy.gif

Rixalex previous post: "especially when considering the way they went about reissuing said passport during the floods."

Not closed for everybody it would appear......so one passport was produced.....'during the floods'......we come full circle to your ridiculous attempt to link the production of a passport to the floods.....thank you....clap2.gif and good afternoon

What I think is obvious and what i read into rixalex quote is the thai publics attention at the time was focused elsewhere, in something at the time was more important to the thai public. The opportunity, the distraction was there to do something that was a bit dodgy that otherwise would have caused too much public backlash, and the opportunity was taken.

Now, there are less important things (no recent natural disasters) that the issuing of the passport can be given the due attention it deserves.

Only it is not public backlash that is calling for the passport to be cancelled, it is an alleged infringment of the laws is it not?

What I think is obvious and what i read into rixalex quote is the thai publics attention at the time was focused elsewhere, in something at the time was more important to the thai public. The opportunity, the distraction was there to do something that was a bit dodgy that otherwise would have caused too much public backlash, and the opportunity was taken.

Now, there are less important things (no recent natural disasters) that the issuing of the passport can be given the due attention it deserves.

Only it is not public backlash that is calling for the passport to be cancelled, it is an alleged infringment of the laws is it not?

now yes. Then, without the floods the opportunity to do something dodgy (and possibly get away with it) would not have existed.

The floods were used as a diversion.

Doesn't quite ring true though does it? Was a diversion really required, and if the diversion was so good, they would have gone for pushing the amnesty through rather than an inconsequential passport.

Let us all be truthful here for a moment, if the passport had been issued to somchai by the MOFA it would be a non issue, however as it is Thaksin, and without him the opposition have no platform....it is....but attempts to try and see the MOFA issuing a passport as anything other than issuing a passport are rather pointless....unless you like making up stories and conspiracy theories

If it was illegal then revoke it.....I do hope nothing crops up that would distract the government from attending to this important matter w00t.gif

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1