Chinese Food In Hua Hin

Milk

Can anyone tell me if there are any Chinese restaurants in HUa Hin? I mean like a place where I can find favourites like chow mein, orange beef, sichuan chicken, sweet & sour prok...yummy. I've never come across one and I have been told there are none. REALLY?

William. Thanks for that, you seem to be about as helpfull as Herpes. Shouldnt one newbie be helping out another instead of being a numb clown? Simple questions do sometimes require a simple answer ya know.

Milk, in answer to your question, there are a couple of Chinese joints, but nothing to write home about. Both are out of towna little way. One on soi 57 is i remember rightly.

William. Thanks for that, you seem to be about as helpfull as Herpes. Shouldnt one newbie be helping out another instead of being a numb clown? Simple questions do sometimes require a simple answer ya know.

Milk, in answer to your question, there are a couple of Chinese joints, but nothing to write home about. Both are out of towna little way. One on soi 57 is i remember rightly.

I think william may have been a bit sarcastic when all you wanted was an answer. Anyway I agree with his sentiment. The dishes you descibe are not Chinese but concoctions developed by the Chinese in both the UK and the US more than one century ago.

There is plenty of good Chinese food in Hua Hin but it nothing like what you would find in Aldershot, just as Thai food in London and the Bay Area has little ressemblance to real Thai food.

Can anyone tell me if there are any Chinese restaurants in HUa Hin? I mean like a place where I can find favourites like chow mein, orange beef, sichuan chicken, sweet & sour prok...yummy. I've never come across one and I have been told there are none. REALLY?

I doubt your post is genuine, although the prok seems interesting? More so than your post. 7/11 have frozen concoctions that may satisfy you.

Omerta, i believe you are incorrect with your assumptions about the Chinese food mentioned by Milk above. The only Americanisation mentioned above is that of the Orange Chicken.

I jumped on Justwilliam above as i know Milk personally, and she is Chinese so one would imagine that she knows Chinese food quite well.

Ollie, one would really question whether your post is qenuine when you are recommending the food sold in 7/11. Does this tell us the kind of guy you are???

All I wanted was a good chinese meal and look what I got! Still no Ching Chong fodder for me :o Thanks for all the (helpful) replies. Yes, I do know my Chinese food, and stuff like Sichuan beef and chow mein truly are authentic Chinese dishes. It just depends on how u cook them. And seriously Ollie, 7-11??? Guess u take out more from 7-11 than I do then cos' I had no idea! :D

All I wanted was a good chinese meal and look what I got! Still no Ching Chong fodder for me :o Thanks for all the (helpful) replies. Yes, I do know my Chinese food, and stuff like Sichuan beef and chow mein truly are authentic Chinese dishes. It just depends on how u cook them. And seriously Ollie, 7-11??? Guess u take out more from 7-11 than I do then cos' I had no idea! :D

Sorry, but I don't get the posts? A Chinese not able to find the real McCoy, with a friend who knows the patch that says there is really nothing to offer?

Seems like Hua Hin shares more in common than thought with the average High Street place in the UK?

I would guess that most farangs experience of Chinese food is the stuff that was passed for years and continues to be as the real thing but bears no resemblance to what the chefs or Chinese clientale are eating at the next table to yours or what you see in HK or China. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy what I get, I just realise that it has little to do with what the average Chinese will be eating wherever.

Sorry, but your post seemed so odd. And I recall my fiance liking some of the things they heated in 7/11. Personally, it reminded me of the plastic stuff on display outside of food places in Tokyo. The fact she ordered some of this (once) came as a huge shock and its not for me. But I guess we all like junk sometimes?

I toured Bangkok's Chinatown with my friend who was born and raised in Shanghai. He hardly found anybody who spoke Mandarin or Cantonese. The Chinese restaurant at Royal China Princess wasn't up to his standard. Etc. So, if he had trouble finding authentic Chinese language and cuisine in Bangkok's Chinatown, I wonder where you'd find it in Hua Hin. Isn't there a little Chinatown or at least a temple, at the top of Sa-Song Road at Chom Sin Road?

Since I seem to have caused a little stir here, I would like to comment again.

Firstly, I would like to offer my sincere apologies to Milk for the tone of my previous post, which was uncalled for and clearly impolite. Please forgive me, Milk, I'm truly sorry for the offence I caused.

Secondly, I still maintain that my oblique reference to the origins of the menu items described in the original post was correct. I am not Chinese (nor from Aldershot), but I lived and worked in Asia for ten years, including one year in Hong Kong, two in Taiwan and three in Singapore. Throughout this period I was the only Caucasian in a Chinese venture capital firm, and my Chinese colleagues and I ate Chinese food more or less exclusively -- from street vendors to five-star restaurants. My good Taiwanese friends, in particular, used to enjoy challenging me (you know the deal -- sheeps' testicles, silkworms, scorpions). Thus I was fortunate to have the opportunity to learn my way around the cuisine at least adequately, in all its regional variations (by the way I always thought it was szechuan, not sichuan, but then again I don't speak any of the Chinese dialects).

Thirdly, I now live in Phetchaburi and cannot help you with restaurants in Hua Hin. There are a handful of Chinese restaurants in Phetchaburi, but their authenticity is constrained not only by their serving the rice at the beginning of the meal, but also their seeming inability to hold the nam pla; and in any event, in Thailand I prefer to stick to Thai food.

Incidentally, I am not familiar with the "Orange Chicken" to which reference was made in a post above (neither, I suspect, is Milk), but I can heartily recommend the black chicken.

Well, thanks for that all of you. Guess I'll have to settle for BKK Chinatown or maybe I'll just open my own little Chinese restaurant in HUa Hin and pray that I will have other patrons apart from myself! I just miss good ole Chinese food. Dun matter if they are the authentic ones or those slightly altered for western tastebuds. I like them all and I just find that there is so much more variety to Chinese food than Thai food. Then again, maybe I'm just bored of Thai food after all these years, so please dun slam me for saying that!!!

Well, thanks for that all of you. Guess I'll have to settle for BKK Chinatown or maybe I'll just open my own little Chinese restaurant in HUa Hin and pray that I will have other patrons apart from myself! I just miss good ole Chinese food. Dun matter if they are the authentic ones or those slightly altered for western tastebuds. I like them all and I just find that there is so much more variety to Chinese food than Thai food. Then again, maybe I'm just bored of Thai food after all these years, so please dun slam me for saying that!!!

Not slamming you at all and fully understand that any business has to go with the flow to prosper. To me, there is a blurring in a lot of Hua Hin food places between Thai and other cuisines. For example, wherever you go, you can get chicken with cashew nuts, and often its nice, but what is it, Thai? Chinese? American?

But if you're gonna go ahead, I am particularly partial to any of the Chinese ducks or lamb, with pancakes etc. Need I say more? And I don't care where that comes from, I just enjoy. The best I've eaten was a tiny place in Lisle St in Soho, London. When ordered, we had to move table to one big enough - I think there were only two - for the duck to be shredded in front of you.

I guess that has to be a favourite dish.

Oh yeah, I am very partial to duck dishes like Peking duck too and I adore Chinese pancakes - all kinds. But those kinds of dishes are the more elaborate kind of Chinese cuisine i.e. the imperial cuisine and are usually found in pricey 4 - 5 star Chinese restaurants. I seriously doubt that grade of Chinese rest. would work in HH. I'm thinking more on a small scale, day to day kind of restaurant where one can find the popular classics like sweet & sour pork, sichuan chicken, black pepper beef, egg <deleted> yong, Yang Zhou fried rice, Tofu hot plate etc. BUT cooked chinese style. With take away services too. A little like those chinese take outs you find in the US and UK but more authentic. What do ya think? Will such a restaurant appeal to both locals and tourists in Hua Hin since there is apparently none quite like it???

Tis' me :o Need as much feedback as I can ya know? No competitor....just yet.

Now it has become apparent that you are in fact Chinese (according to a previous post) it puts a completely different light on things.

I too have seen the topic discussed on another site. It will be assumed by most, bearing mind that this site is labelled the ex-pat site that you were referring to the kind of Chinese food that is available in the US, Canada and much of Europe.

As for Chinese food in Hua Hin there are many. I eat it regularly gut have been told by people who know China well that although it is nothing like the food available in many western restaurants it is more like real Chinese food but has been slightly adapted to cater for Thai tastes.

There are many Chinese restaurants here in Hua Hin and many Chinese/Thai people. Gathering by the number of stores and restaurants that are closed every new year I would guess that at least 30% of the traders have at least some Chinese blood.

Best way is to look around. The mini China town of Chomsin Road may be a place to start but I can not remember seeing any restaurants. There are quite a few on Petchkasem Road in the town centre.

Maybe an authentic Chinese restaurant preparing selected dishes from various regions in China with good explanations of the origins and the ingredients written in English would do well here in Hua Hin.

There is a good mix here of Chinese, wealthy Thai, North American and European tourists and ex-pats who would probably enjoy something like that. WE also get quite a few Koreand and Japanes visitors. I have spent over ten years in Singapore and Malaysia and ther are many different Chinese cuisines available but I believe most of them have been adapted for local tastes and only come from certain regions such as Sichuan and Hainan. I might be wrong.

I wish you success in you quest. Please keep us informed.