Defrauded By Another Farang; What Would You Do?

rideswings

Here’s what to do.

Firstly visit your local Immigration department, give them as many details about this guy as possible and tell them that you believe he is running a business illegally, which I have no doubts he is, and ask them if they could check up on this guy regarding visas and work permits.

Next, Thailand has very strict defamation laws, so do not attempt to publish any bad publicity about this guy in Thailand, but when you leave, publish your case against this guy online, including Craigslist, watchdog sites and even create a facebook page about him.

In the meantime, send him an email using a different email address so he doesn’t know it`s you until he opens it and won’t be blocked, explaining your intentions if he does not cough up with the amount of money you lost from the purchase of that motorbike within the next 14 days.

My guess is that this a/hole would not want his activities here brought to light and that he will pay up.

• Like 1

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here’s what to do.

Firstly visit your local Immigration department, give them as many details about this guy as possible and tell them that you believe he is running a business illegally, which I have no doubts he is, and ask them if they could check up on this guy regarding visas and work permits.

Next, Thailand has very strict defamation laws, so do not attempt to publish any bad publicity about this guy in Thailand, but when you leave, publish your case against this guy online, including Craigslist, watchdog sites and even create a facebook page about him.

In the meantime, send him an email using a different email address so he doesn’t know it`s you until he opens it and won’t be blocked, explaining your intentions if he does not cough up with the amount of money you lost from the purchase of that motorbike within the next 14 days.

My guess is that this a/hole would not want his activities here brought to light and that he will pay up.

Are you serious, would you really do that?

Us whitey's will never get on in this society if this is the way we treat each other.

• Like 1

Here’s what to do.

far better idea is to pick up several smelly dog shits and add water until u get a nice creamy smooth liquid.....leave to stand for a few days until totally rancid then pour the concotion down the heater/air conditioning vent in front of the windscreen of his car wiping up any overspilll so he doesnt suspect.......the car will stink of dogshit when he turns on the air con and he will never be able to get rid of the smell even if the system is dismantled and cleaned thus making the car undriveable and unsellable

• Like 2

I would never buy a second hand vehicle from some Arthur Daley type character even in my own country, let alone in Thailand. But than again, I’ve been here a long time and know the score.

Cheats, liars and scoundrels, hate em.

It is not the money, but all the inconvenience and stress. To the OP it probably feels like a smack in the face and he would be right.

I guarantee this guy is illegally working; some Jack the Lad who thought he could pull a fast one on the naive OP.

Report this guy and knock him out of business.

Here’s what to do.

Are you serious, would you really do that?

Us whitey's will never get on in this society if this is the way we treat each other.

I would never buy a second hand vehicle from some Arthur Daley type character even in my own country, let alone in Thailand. But than again, I’ve been here a long time and know the score.

Cheats, liars and scoundrels, hate em.

It is not the money, but all the inconvenience and stress. To the OP it probably feels like a smack in the face and he would be right.

I guarantee this guy is illegally working; some Jack the Lad who thought he could pull a fast one on the naive OP.

Report this guy and knock him out of business, maybe have him deported back to the hole he crawled out of.

Don't listen to all the internet hardmen spouting their BS, most would have a problem walking up 2 flights of stairs.

Just forget about it.

hard men, all i see is one sad bastard recommending the OP grass a guy up to immigration, just because the OP was too lazy to do his homework.

• Like 1

Only times I have been ripped off in Thailand it was by Farangs...

Same here. About two years ago lent a large sum to an ex- US Army Captain who was trying to keep his Bar from going under and never got it back. Just found out another American lent the same person an identical amount of money recently and has not been able to get it back. After that I never lend out money to anyone in Thailand.

• Like 1

Only times I have been ripped off in Thailand it was by Farangs...

Same here. About two years ago lent a large sum to an ex- US Army Captain who was trying to keep his Bar from going under and never got it back. Just found out another American lent the same person an identical amount of money recently and has not been able to get it back. After that I never lend out money to anyone in Thailand.

I lend money to farang quite often. I nearly always get it back. I certainly wouldn't lend to a bar-owner.

I'd rather lend to farang than Thai.

• Like 1

You are correct 10,000 baht. The seller insisted we take it to his shop. They told me 10,000 baht. Then his phone stopped working. I quickly sold it so I can buy a bike I can start in the morning. Understand?

Hope everyone has a nice day.

A used motorbike does not start easily. That costs 10.000 Baht to fix crazy.gif

So the seller avoids you because he doesn't want to pay 10.000 Baht for difficult to start.

Now you feel cheated...and without checking with a different shop you quickly sell it. crazy.gif

Got a Tiger 250 cc for 2,000 baht. No papers, but it starts in the morning....bah.gif

if I recall correctly this bike was a Yamaha Mio with an asking price of 16000 baht so u are complaining about losing 4000 baht to someone who was just trying to shift a bike on..u must have tested it and been happy to hand over the money so u have little to complain about..........the thing here is the thai mechanic who told u that the problem would cost 10,000 baht to fix, he was taking u for a ride for sure as the problem was probably a dodgy coil of dirty carb.......next time buy a new bike ride it for two years and then ask 6000 baht less than u paid for it which is what happens in Thailand (the land of virtually no depreciation)

For just 16,000 you're not going to get a peach of a bike,are you?The bike was sold as seen,in the UK you would have no recourse BY LAW!

The 10,000 quote is ridiculous,a brand new engine for a scooter can't cost any more than this and it definitely sounds like a carburation problem.Dirty float bowl,wrong jet size,air bleed screw needs adjusting as the bike is old and the barrels are worn,reducing the tolerances!

I bet I could have got it going in half an hour tops and starting perfectly every morning!You chose to sell it for 4,000 leass than you paid,no-one else!

I really don't see that you have any real case to answer,it just sounds like a catalogue of errors on your (the buyer's) part!rolleyes.gif

I've been burned by lending money to Falang...in the United States! I have burned by lending money to Thai, in Thailand! And the Thais in particular were my own <deleted>' flesh and blood family.

The general rule is don't trust ANYONE with my <deleted>' money.

And don't think that just because they're your countryman they should be trusted any more. Same with don't think that just because they're your relatives they shoudl be trusted any more. Same rule applies to everybody.

I've been burned by lending money to Falang...in the United States! I have burned by lending money to Thai, in Thailand! And the Thais in particular were my own <deleted>' flesh and blood family.

And don't think that just because they're your countryman they should be trusted any more. Same with don't think that just because they're your relatives they shoudl be trusted any more. Same rule applies to everybody.

A wise man once told me that he'd rather fall out with a friend 'cos he wouldn't lend them money - than fall out 'cos they wouldn't pay the money back...

Obviously, he's right - and I will only lend money to v trusted friends.

As for reporting them to Immigration, I'd report the Westerner (who has ripped me off in a land deal) in a heartbeat! But he has moved abroad sad.png .

What a stupid thread. The guy didn't have to tell you it was a rental bike, unless you asked that exact question. He doesn't ow you the 4000 baht, it was you that sold it on for less than you bought it for, probably due to some minor issue. He was good to even have offered to fix it for you, many would not have even done that. You bought a cheap second hand bike, you took the risk and nobody forced you to buy it, so get over it.

Edited by madjbs

Don't listen to all the internet hardmen spouting their BS, most would have a problem walking up 2 flights of stairs.

Just forget about it.

hard men, all i see is one sad bastard recommending the OP grass a guy up to immigration, just because the OP was too lazy to do his homework.

Ok, as for being a bastard, I`ll give you that, but I`m not sad.

guitar.gif

It's your responsibility to check the bike before you hand over the money, either yourself or at a repair shop. If the seller refuses, it usually means somethings wrong with the bike and you don't have to buy it.

The seller does not have to disclose everything he knows about the bike. You can't take back used vehicles when buying from a private party.

It's your bike now.

To be honest I am more worried about farangs ripping me off than a Thai. If a farang has no money he is in big big shit report the guy to the tourist police that is what they are there for they may be willing to help you otherwise as another OP stated " Buyer Beware " I had a problem a number of years ago with a Thai over a jeep once I had the tourist police on my side the case was soon resolved to my satisfaction without having to pay any back handers. I to was ripped off by a farang who I thought was a friend as it turned out he was just another arsehol_e ready to rip off anyone he could the only good thing about it is he is no longer living in Thailand as he did it one to many times and was deported !!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

To be honest I am more worried about farangs ripping me off than a Thai. If a farang has no money he is in big big shit report the guy to the tourist police that is what they are there for they may be willing to help you otherwise as another OP stated " Buyer Beware " I had a problem a number of years ago with a Thai over a jeep once I had the tourist police on my side the case was soon resolved to my satisfaction without having to pay any back handers. I to was ripped off by a farang who I thought was a friend as it turned out he was just another arsehol_e ready to rip off anyone he could the only good thing about it is he is no longer living in Thailand as he did it one to many times and was deported !!!!!!!!!!

I thought I got the tourist police on my side and even they ripped us off when somebody passed away. Foul apples can be found everywhere.

To the OP's problem: Time to wake up. Can't buy a second hand wife and try to give it back to the first owner, if things don't go that well. bah.gif

Sad that some people feel more solidarity with the crook because he is a whitey than with the victim.

Because he's a "whitey"? Isn't the OP a "whitey" as well? I don't read any solidarity with the seller, but little sympathy with the buyer either. Being sold a lemon can happen in any country, it's up to the buyer to get it checked out before parting with his money.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

Sad that some people feel more solidarity with the crook because he is a whitey than with the victim.

Because he's a "whitey"? Isn't the OP a "whitey" as well? I don't read any solidarity with the seller, but little sympathy with the buyer either. Being sold a lemon can happen in any country, it's up to the buyer to get it checked out before parting with his money.

I thought the same thing myself!

As for the poster,with a name like Jurgen I imagine he's a 'Whitey' too.Probably with a mullet and big,handlebar moustache!w00t.gif

A wise man once told me that he'd rather fall out with a friend 'cos he wouldn't lend them money - than fall out 'cos they wouldn't pay the money back...

Obviously, he's right - and I will only lend money to v trusted friends.

As for reporting them to Immigration, I'd report the Westerner (who has ripped me off in a land deal) in a heartbeat! But he has moved abroad sad.png .

That's the thing, I don't know what kind of "friends" need to be borrowing money. I mean my "friends" are financial responsible people that make their own money. They don't need to borrow from me and I don't need to borrow from them. Anyone who is not financially responsible with their own money such that they need mine, I don't need to keep as a friend.

If I ever really needed money, my friends are the last people on earth I would want to go to because I would terrible about even asking them (though they would do it). The extent of the "borrowing" I engage with friends is putting a meal on one of our credit cards just out of convenience...and then the other just covers the tab the next time.