Question - Work Permit Requirement For Thai Limited Company Set-Up

Munutkangkao

Question regarding Work Permit Requirements - I want to open a media company, at the start I will not require employees as I will be guaging the success of our Thai Limited company during th first year. So 2 Work Permits, one for my business partner and myself, Thai law states I must have a total of 8 Thai employees. As a new business how can I have 8 full-time Thai employees? Our goal is to hire staff as the business grows but a new business takes one to two years to turn a profit. I want to hire but I can't see being able to do so for the start.

Are there solutions to hiring the mandatory number of Thai-employees to accomodate two work permits for our company?

When our new Thai Limited company is set up, and we have paid into the social fund on 8 Thai employees for one month only then we can then receive two work permits. Could I lay them off immediately following the approval of my work permits until it is time to renew? During the first year I should be able to hire more employees eventually approaching the required total of 8.

I am told that the minimum monthly wage a Thai employee is to be paid is 9,000 BTH. How do we show or can we be expected to pay 9,000 Baht / per person a month for 8 Thai employees to sustain our work permits when we don't need them during the beginning months of operation? Here's a payroll breakdown:

Social Fund

750 Baht X 8 Thai employees = 6,000 Baht / month

$25 CDN X 8 Thai employees = $200 CDN / month

Salary

9,000 Baht X 8 Thai employees = 72,000 Baht / month

$300 CDN X 8 Thai employees = $2,400 CDN / month

Does it matter how many hours an employee works as long as we have 8 employees ( part time / temp )? Do they all have to be getting at least 9,000 Baht a month or can we arrange it so we only have to pay into the social fund on them?

Can we hire Part time employees do they really have to be full-time. Can we consider part-time employees being our monthly accounting serivces ( provided by our thai firm ), driver, maid, partners wife, etc? I may be required to hire a writer or photographer that won't be needed everyday but I will use their services when assignments call for it. The same could be said for extra web-designers, or graphic designers. They would be my preferred staff but more of a temporary status in the beginning. Is this acceptable? Here's an example; If I only need a Thai maid 3 times a month at 300 Baht a cleaning is this ok? What solutions do you advise?

AFAIK (I had once a company Ltd. with a wp, only one Thai social insurance paid):

You don't need 4 Thai employees for one wp! Not even the 50/65k minimum salary

You need 4 employees and the minimum salary only for the extension of stay with the immigration.

In case you don't mind, to do visaruns, every 90 days, you should be good with 4 Million baht to show.

More important is a real good accounting, I think!

Edited by noob7

AFAIK (I had once a company Ltd. with a wp, only one Thai social insurance paid):

You need 4 employees and the minimum salary only for the extension of stay with the immigration.

In case you don't mind, to do visaruns, every 90 days, you should be good with 4 Million baht to show.

Thank's for your response Noob7,

But I just got a reply from the Legal Fourm section of TV as I posted the same question over there. They tell me I 'have to have' the required 4 employees per wp. And they must make the minimum of 9,000 Bth. They say the labor inspector will visit and question my employees. They will interview them to make sure they are not ghost employees.

My company will be primarily a web, photo and video service without the need of new employees in the beginning. I would like to hire eventually but must start out with low operating cost. As you can see this would be an insane expense for the start of my operations. I think I will have to reconsider business in Thailand. It seems there are no solutions and the only way around it is to hire ghost employees as I know this does occur. I have everything else in place and can manage the funds and assets for 2 wp but I`m not going to dish out more cash just to throw money away. Unfortunately its a calculated risk I`m not willing to take.

Thailand does not want SME to come in and take away Thai jobs or opportunities from Thai nationals. This is understandable and the way it is written.

9,000 bth x 8 thai workers is too much for no return on what I`m already investing.

Thanks again for your input.

Edited by Munutkangkao

Welcome to the weird and wonderful way the Thai's do things. We had the same problem when starting our business, didn't need the 4 x Thai staff but had to have them anyway. Only thing you can do is suck it up and follow the guidelines, ensure your paperwork is 100% correct etc. They will come around and check. Or do what everyone else seems to be doing which is start the business anyway without a WP and without being legal whatsoever.

Welcome to the weird and wonderful way the Thai's do things. We had the same problem when starting our business, didn't need the 4 x Thai staff but had to have them anyway. Only thing you can do is suck it up and follow the guidelines, ensure your paperwork is 100% correct etc. They will come around and check. Or do what everyone else seems to be doing which is start the business anyway without a WP and without being legal whatsoever.

Yeah I hear ya buddy. But your one of the first to give a straight up no bullshit answer. Thanks mate.

Read many such questions here and I think the Thai's have got it right, most of these web based business questions should be re worded to say how can I circumvent the visa requirements to stay in Thailand.

If the idea is sound, set up in your own country, when the business is up and running and needs employees, relocate. Jim

• Like 2

But I just got a reply from the Legal Fourm section of TV as I posted the same question over there. They tell me I 'have to have' the required 4 employees per wp. And they must make the minimum of 9,000 Bth. They say the labor inspector will visit and question my employees. They will interview them to make sure they are not ghost employees.

My company will be primarily a web, photo and video service without the need of new employees in the beginning. I would like to hire eventually but must start out with low operating cost. As you can see this would be an insane expense for the start of my operations. I think I will have to reconsider business in Thailand. It seems there are no solutions and the only way around it is to hire ghost employees as I know this does occur. I have everything else in place and can manage the funds and assets for 2 wp but I`m not going to dish out more cash just to throw money away. Unfortunately its a calculated risk I`m not willing to take.

Thailand does not want SME to come in and take away Thai jobs or opportunities from Thai nationals. This is understandable and the way it is written.

9,000 bth x 8 thai workers is too much for no return on what I`m already investing.

That is irritating news for me.

Why are there still wp-holder, doing visa runs, every 90 days?

And struggling with the multiple entry visas, in case the wp isn't long enough valid, at time they try to get the visa?

In case, all companies need to pay 4 Thais the social insurance and minimum salary, it's only the 'right number' in the WP needed, for the wp holders salary, to have the extension of stay granted.

Try another Labor officer could help! Or chose a different location for your company!

Edited by noob7

And struggling with the multiple entry visas, in case the wp isn't long enough valid, at time they try to get the visa?

In case, all companies need to pay 4 Thais the social insurance and minimum salary, it's only the 'right number' in the WP needed, for the wp holders salary, to have the extension of stay granted.

Try another Labor officer could help! Or chose a different location for your company!

There are many reasons visa runs can be required for wp holders.

More is required by immigration to grant the extension then just 4 Thai employees.

Minimum income and audited book keeping from previous year are two things...

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

There are many reasons visa runs can be required for wp holders.

More is required by immigration to grant the extension then just 4 Thai employees.

Minimum income and audited book keeping from previous year are two things...

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

What gets me most about this is that this hinders business development and investment in Thailand. There is no logic to this policy and real business will only look upon Thailand as a place that does not encourage true entreprenurial investment or economic growth.

I've talked to about 10 ten Thai law-firms nearly all of them weigh in with different answers and no one gives you the straight up facts. It's like a political debate. Tell me the facts that's what I will pay you for to get me set up in Thailand. Is there a consulting firm that can figure this out or recommend?

Edited by Munutkangkao

What gets me most about this is that this hinders business development and investment in Thailand. There is no logic to this policy and real business will only look upon Thailand as a place that does not encourage true entreprenurial investment or economic growth.

There is absolutely no logic or sense at work within Thailand as you'll realize if you've lived/worked here for a while. It's not gonna change.

I've talked to about 10 ten Thai law-firms nearly all of them weigh in with different answers and no one gives you the straight up facts. It's like a political debate. Tell me the facts that's what I will pay you for to get me set up in Thailand. Is there a consulting firm that can figure this out or recommend?

Work on the basis that if a Thai Lawyer has words coming out of his mouth, then he's lying . . . you won't go far wrong. There is no regulation here or consequences for giving you bad advice and they will all be quite happy to give you what you want, even though it might be 'illegal'. There are many sponsors here on TV that will give you advice, all of which I would take with a very large pinch of salt. Do your OWN research on what is and is not allowed, then tell them what you want them to do.

Edited by Tatsujin
  • Like 2

Don't think there is any shortage of outside investment here and if your idea is sound and would be of a benefit to Thailand, go to the BOI.

Ask your self, why do I want to set up a web based company in Thailand, can't be the high standard of English, India is much better. Can't be the ease of obtaining a WP, Cambodia is easy.

Could it be the birds and beer that makes the place attractive, if so not a sound business foundation. Jim

• Like 1

Thailand doesn't want flooding with foreign owned businesses competing with Thai companies. Business development has been good here over the last 20 years, so they see no reason to change. If it was easy to come into Thailand and set up or buy businesses then you would see a mass inflow of people, especially from one or two "near neighbours". There has been a prolifereation of web design and internet marketing companies here, many set up by farangs. I know some who absolutely follow the rules and some who are not so legally minded. At somepoint there will be crackdowns and the non-legals will be deported for working illegally or get shaken down. Then they will find out how good their lawyers or business services providers really are.

If you are attracted here by the birds and booze, then don't confuse that with buisness judgemement. I know several long term expat business ownwers who are quitting Thailand for Malaysia where things are much easier.

It used to be "Westeners" who wanted to buy bars and restaurants (many without any experience), then it became "business servces" and "consultants or coaches", then web design etc. Now I see lots of adds from Indians asking about opening businesses here - usually "import export" or some sort of shop. One guy said he'd been to Pattaya 3 times this year, loved it and wanted to buy a couple of 7-11s and move acorss. He couldn't understand why this wasn't simple !!

• Like 1

This is contadictory to the other thread info where one can own a co Ltd on retiremnet visa

? Or just a b with no work permit, so 90 day runs to get an expensive 5000 baht visa , still much much cheaper

And yes it seems lots do own businesses wi no Wp and are careful not to " work" The nature of my business is such I would not need to work. Something got to give .

I can see it now, have one accounting error and a whole year of following the law and paying out the kazoo goes to naught as you are issued only 90 visa or 30 day WP

I've had it,,cheating is so widespread and don't dare too as it is a coin toss on when they come in for a swoop. Too stressful. I can't set up a home - a life under these conditions. I am regretful and would not recommend it.

It seems to made so difficult as to keep undesirables out but I think it really keeps desirables from suceeding while undesirables play the game called paying pipers .

Long term view; no real future if rule of law is not followed.

Edited by MacChine
  • Like 1

Opposed to many of the discouraging responses in this thread, there is actually a channel to circumvent most of obstacles mentioned by OP.

I have recently started e-commerce business in Thailand and I am currently still in the start up process. However , I have already completed the registration of it as a 100% foreign owned company in addition to obtaining a work permit without having 4 Thai employees.

Many people will tell you that you need a lawyer to obtain this, but if you have a desire to pursue your goal it is not the case. It is entirely possible to setup a company as a foreigner according to Thai law and regulation, personally I would never consider entering a foreign country and not follow their rules.

I would recommend that you take a look at the Thailand Board of Investment website: http://www.boi.go.th/index.php?page=procedures

BOI is setup to support foreign companies that can contribute value to Thailand in the form of knowledge and know-how in areas which Thailand lacks. Software is one of the promoted areas, and I am sure you can find a way for your media company to fit this description.

• Like 1

Opposed to many of the discouraging responses in this thread, there is actually a channel to circumvent most of obstacles mentioned by OP.

I have recently started e-commerce business in Thailand and I am currently still in the start up process. However , I have already completed the registration of it as a 100% foreign owned company in addition to obtaining a work permit without having 4 Thai employees.

Many people will tell you that you need a lawyer to obtain this, but if you have a desire to pursue your goal it is not the case. It is entirely possible to setup a company as a foreigner according to Thai law and regulation, personally I would never consider entering a foreign country and not follow their rules.

I would recommend that you take a look at the Thailand Board of Investment website: http://www.boi.go.th...page=procedures

BOI is setup to support foreign companies that can contribute value to Thailand in the form of knowledge and know-how in areas which Thailand lacks. Software is one of the promoted areas, and I am sure you can find a way for your media company to fit this description.

BOI is not an easy route, we have a company here and went through the SME people. Guy I know went through the BOI and regrets it, as they are snowed under in reporting requirements. These are not internet companies, but real buildings and machine jobs, maybe different rules on software and e commerce. Jim

BOI is not an easy route, we have a company here and went through the SME people. Guy I know went through the BOI and regrets it, as they are snowed under in reporting requirements. These are not internet companies, but real buildings and machine jobs, maybe different rules on software and e commerce. Jim

I will admit that it is not for everyone to go through the process, It will require dedication and a lot of patience, but I believe this is the case for any route of setting up a company properly in Thailand.

While I cannot speak for the building and machine jobs (though I would assume its the same timeline), the e-commerce promotion I have applied for require me to make the first reporting within 6 month of the establishment to obtain the final certificate. I am not quite at that stage yet, but it has not snowed me under..

• Like 1

I will admit that it is not for everyone to go through the process, It will require dedication and a lot of patience, but I believe this is the case for any route of setting up a company properly in Thailand.

While I cannot speak for the building and machine jobs (though I would assume its the same timeline), the e-commerce promotion I have applied for require me to make the first reporting within 6 month of the establishment to obtain the final certificate. I am not quite at that stage yet, but it has not snowed me under..

As said didn't go the BOI way, but it's bad enough on the SME side. We have to report things like moving or buying a small roller machine. Having said that the factories overseeing people are pretty good, not the nitpickers you get in the west. Jim

Isn't the BOI for big companies, only though? I think that is an entirely different ball game

However, rather ironic on the BOI site, amongst the incentives offered-are these actually really dismal aspects of why, even though it has the best geographical advantages, Thailand's outlook is sinking , ( and Bangkok, literally. )

In terms of road transportation, Thailand is home to a vast highway network that connects each region of the country, and through regional integration, Thailand is becoming a hub of regional road transportation.

In terms of rail systems, Thailand’s rail transportation network stretches more than 4,000 kilometers, linking up with Malaysia and onward to Singapore. In the capital of Bangkok, there are two mass transit systems already in place and more under construction.

Lastly, Thailand’s communications network is extensive, with more than 30 million mobile phone users and more than 17 million computer users, including 11 million with internet access. Those figures are increasing daily, due to the widespread availability of broadband and wi-fi access in all provinces.

The much touted world class healthcare I can personally attest to as er,... not really.

Edited by MacChine

Isn't the BOI for big companies, only though? I think that is an entirely different ball game

On the contrary - Big companies doesn't need to go through BOI and smaller companies such as myself can get away with investing a smaller amount than the otherwise minimum 2 million baht per foreign work-permit.

On the contrary - Big companies doesn't need to go through BOI and smaller companies such as myself can get away with investing a smaller amount than the otherwise minimum 2 million baht per foreign work-permit.

I will definitely take a look into this thank you, Henix.

Paying workers a minimum of 9000 a month is 450 day for 5 day work week.

So it seems you cannot hire minimum wage workers? Or force workers on 6 day weeks? I think people need 2 days off. Yet another unfair disadvantage to foreigners that makes us bad employers.

Cannot hire part time workers, say even if paying 600? So paying 4 mediocre workers mediocre wages, and watching and correcion constantly, instead of two good workers 600 is no way to do business and a good way to work yourself to death for nothing.

I don't see how Thailand is easy to do business in, seems to be made as difficult as possible and with everyone advising something different-J.F.C.- dream gone bad.

The only way I guess, to know, is make the trip to labot dept, more time wasted.

And I cannot believe new businees owner must travel out of the country every 3 months, it is just beyond any kind of common courtesy to foreigners trying to contribute, and be legal about it.

Maybe that's the disappointment- integrity matters so little , and no we aren't really welcome, at all.

Edited by MacChine
  • Like 1

It used to be the case that the Labour Ministry didn't ask about Thai employees and all the aggravation about 4 Thai employees came from the Immigration Bureau when applying for an extension of stay. It was possible to avoid this by never applying for an extension of stay and leaving the country every three months instead for a new stamp. Two years ago I noticed that the Labour Ministry added a question about the number of Thai employees on the form for the employer to fill in. That suggests that this loophole has been filled by now but it is worth asking, if there is still a way round, if you don't apply for the one year extension or, if they allow less than two Thai employees for a start up company in the first year.

I got a WP without any Thai employees a few years ago and renewed it twice without hiring anyone, as I have permanent residence and don't need to get a visa or extension from Immigration. I now work for a larger company with lots of Thai staff and don't know if that is still possible.

One solution might be one of you, who is going to be more visible to get a WP first, although both of you will be shareholders. You can probably still get away with being a director without a WP, particularly if not an authorised director. I don't know if either of you are married to Thais or have Thai kids but, if so, a visa extension based on Thai family gives you flexibility to add a work permit with less hassle from Immigration. If you can read Thai or get someone else to read it, there is far more information in Thai on the Labour Ministry's website about work permits. The stuff in English is mainly badly written garbage emphasising the penalties which just about sums up what they thing about us.

• Like 1

If you have permanent residency, it is a whole different ball game.

I am not willing to marry a Thai to operate a business, but sure seems that's the only way to work it. The 4 worker rules are killling me.

I need two well paid workers , not four over-worked, under- paid, hostile, sulking.... .

9000 / month minimum salary divided into a 5 day work week = 450 a day. That's over 30 % more than the minimum wage. That's a real hindrance , or else make them work 30 days month.

They need to re think this minimum employee rule to be more about quality wages, not just hiring bodies, IMO, it makes having a quality business environment difficult.

Edited by MacChine
  • Like 1

I am not willing to marry a Thai to operate a business, but sure seems that's the only way to work it. The 4 worker rules are killling me.

I need two well paid workers , not four over- worked, under paid hostile, sulking morons.

9000 month min divided into a 5 day work week = 450 a day. That's over 30 % more than the minimum wage. That's a real hindrance , or else make them work 30 days month.

They need to re think this minimum employee rule.

Why should they rethink anything? They don't want the big bad foreigners here running businesses anyway.

Thailand for Thai's etc.

I need two well paid workers , not four over-worked, under- paid, hostile, sulking.... .

9000 / month minimum salary divided into a 5 day work week = 450 a day. That's over 30 % more than the minimum wage. That's a real hindrance , or else make them work 30 days month.

They need to re think this minimum employee rule to be more about quality wages, not just hiring bodies, IMO, it makes having a quality business environment difficult.

There is a labor shortage in Thailand, mimimum wages who works for them Burmese, Lao, and Cambodians. I'm out in the jungle of Issan and a good rubber tapper can make 30,000 Baht in a month in the high output months. Guess what, I am 4 tappers short, can't get skilled tappers, not computer science or engineering, just tapping rubber trees. Jim