What Are The Police Checking?

susanschwaiger

Several times already, I see police stopping motorbike riders by road side.

This morning about 11AM on beach road, I was also stopped by the police. But when he noticed my big pregnant belly, he smiled and let me go tongue.png

Are they checking motorbike driving license? If they find you don't have one, what will happen? How much is the penalty?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Depending on the occasion they can check helmets worn or not, driving licences, registration papers, tax stickers and drugs or weapons under seats. The fines differ .... Highway Police for example fine 200 baht for most offences wheres regular police charge 400 fine.

• Like 1

License and annual taxes is my experience. Easy cash grab because very few tourists have a license. Requiring proof of Thai drivers license by scooter rental shops would put an end to the infraction but also stop the silly money grab.

And how will tourist's get these Thai drivers licence before coming on holiday?

• Like 1

^^^

They get an International Driving Permit and that plus their country licence is what is needed.

Its not hard to check before you go anywhere what is needed for driving or anything else.

Ignorance of any law in any country is not accepted as an excuse anywhere.

Would these people drive at home without a licence ?

• Like 2

^^^

They get an International Driving Permit and that plus their country licence is what is needed.

Its not hard to check before you go anywhere what is needed for driving or anything else.

Ignorance of any law in any country is not accepted as an excuse anywhere.

Would these people drive at home without a licence ?

Would the owner of the rental place give a scooter to a customer without a license?

Edited by pauljones
  • Like 1

what I find bizaar is that you dont have to strap your helmet in Thailand, the police missed a big windfall when that law was written

They fine for this in Bangkok all the time.

I think you need a motorcycle license. Not just a car DL. If you don't have this endorsement on your DL, you could get a ticket.

I feel sorry for all the visitors getting tickets down where I live. That police station on Suk and Huay Yai road does a bang up biz.

Drivers license? Guess you can just pay the fine if you dont' have one(few hundred baht?). Usually they are catching people without helmets.

It's not just helmets. As posted above they can check for a variety of things. But helmets is a big one for sure.

what I find bizaar is that you dont have to strap your helmet in Thailand, the police missed a big windfall when that law was written

They fine for this in Bangkok all the time.

I think you need a motorcycle license. Not just a car DL. If you don't have this endorsement on your DL, you could get a ticket.

I feel sorry for all the visitors getting tickets down where I live. That police station on Suk and Huay Yai road does a bang up biz.

They do fine for no strap in Pattaya as well. Would be very surprised if this isn’t written into the law, as wans states.

Yes, you do need a motorcycle license. However many times the police that stops you, won’t be able to figure out from a foreign license what vehicles you are allowed to operate. So you could get away from a fine, but would be in bad shape if you’re involved in an accident.

Last time I was stopped, they asked for tax and registration as well as the license.

Wat I find bizarre is that even a colander on your head is accepted as a helmet.
  • Like 2

Wat I find bizarre is that even a colander on your head is accepted as a helmet.

What I find bizarre is how the muslims seem to be expected from this law if wearing a head covering.

What I find bizarre is how the muslims seem to be expected from this law if wearing a head covering.

Agreed, it’s bizarre and even more bizarre is that it’s actually in accordance with the law:

Section 122 (500B)

[The rider and passenger of a motorcycle shall wear a motorcycle helmet.

The provisions under this Section is not forced for monks, novices, ascetics, persons of

other religion which require wearing of a turban, or any persons under Ministerial

Regulation.]

Edited by MTH
  • Like 1

Agreed, it’s bizarre and even more bizarre is that it’s actually in accordance with the law:

Section 122 (500B)

The provisions under this Section is not forced for monks, novices, ascetics, persons of

other religion which require wearing of a turban, or any persons under Ministerial

Regulation.]

Since when do muslims wear turbans ?

Section 122 (500B)

Regulation.]

Since when do muslims wear turbans ?

I don’t know, 7th century maybe?

BTW, maybe you should realize that this is an English translation of the law, a more proper translation could very well be headgear or head covering.

Whilst nobody likes paying the fines, its the law and revenue generation, but how else are the police force to fund its self. Locals certainly are not into paying taxes.

Most of the time i get stopped its licence check as i always wear hat when otherside railway tracks.

My USA driver's license is for car only. My international Driver's license simply mirrors my USA driver's license and just basically states that I have a US Driver's license. Does that mean I can't legally drive a motor bike or even small scoooter in Thailand? I am pretty sure that many of the Americans I see in Thailand do not have a motorcycle license. That is a separate feature and requires a separate test than the car license in the USA.

My USA driver's license is for car only. My international Driver's license simply mirrors my USA driver's license and just basically states that I have a US Driver's license. Does that mean I can't legally drive a motor bike or even small scoooter in Thailand? I am pretty sure that many of the Americans I see in Thailand do not have a motorcycle license. That is a separate feature and requires a separate test than the car license in the USA.

If your US license is for car only, without a motorcycle endorsement, then you’re not legally licensed to drive a motorbike or scooter in Thailand.

It’s the same over here as in the US, there are separate tests for car and bike. However somewhat easier to pass here laugh.png

• Like 1

The IDP (International Diving Permit) clearly shows what category of vehicle you are licensed to drive, this document look the same regardless of which country it issued and complies with the various conventions dating back to 1926.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Driving_Permit

License and annual taxes is my experience. Easy cash grab because very few tourists have a license. Requiring proof of Thai drivers license by scooter rental shops would put an end to the infraction but also stop the silly money grab.

And how will tourist's get these Thai drivers licence before coming on holiday?

They won't get a license back home. Ergo the rental business would collapse if a license was required. Just saying it is easy to stop by requiring a license to rent a scooter as developed nations do but here in Thailand this infraction is a cash cow and all parties are happy to stay the course. As a whole Thailand does a stellar job marketing tourism has a great product and this is not a big deal and one of the minor inconveniences that will hopefully be a thing of the past in the next 10 years.

If your US license is for car only, without a motorcycle endorsement, then you’re not legally licensed to drive a motorbike or scooter in Thailand.

It’s the same over here as in the US, there are separate tests for car and bike. However somewhat easier to pass here laugh.png

Somewhat easier? I heard it's easy to get a DL in USA but I didn't realize it was that easy. In most European countries you'd sit through theory for the best part of a a year, then spend upwards of 20 hours (@ ~ 1,700 baht each) practice before they even let you do the 2-hour practical test, and even then many people need several attempts to pass. In the theory part you'd have to memorize things like 12 places where you're not allowed to stop. Many are obvious when you see them, but remember all of them by heart is difficult. For the practical test they'd get you on any number of small technicalities, for example touching the ground with your foot for balance while driving slowly.

Here you basically do a 5 minute round on a simple closed track and it practically requires you to fall off the bike to fail.

Would the owner of the rental place give a scooter to a customer without a license?

Yes, TiT.

One way to tell if a bike is insured, they will actually check a drivers licence properly.

Hm, normally the way to check if a bike is insured is by checking the insurance chit. Checking drivers license is another issue.

Somewhat easier? I heard it's easy to get a DL in USA but I didn't realize it was that easy. In most European countries you'd sit through theory for the best part of a a year, then spend upwards of 20 hours practice before they even let you do the test, and even then many people need several attempts to pass. In the theory part you'd have to memorize things like 12 places where you're not allowed to stop. Many are obvious when you see them, but remember all of them by heart is difficult. For the practical test they'd get you on any number of small technicalities, for example touching the ground with your foot for balance while driving slowly.

Here you basically do a 5 minute round on a simple closed track and it practically requires you to fall off the bike to fail.

I think you need to wake up and reread my post, I said it was easier here, here of course meaning Thailand.

Smiley was added for somewhat...

Edited by MTH

Somewhat easier? I heard it's easy to get a DL in USA but I didn't realize it was that easy. In most European countries you'd sit through theory for the best part of a a year, then spend upwards of 20 hours practice before they even let you do the test, and even then many people need several attempts to pass.

Florida DL

-make an appointment if possible or wait a couple of hours

-theory test, grab four pieces of paper and mark answers (multiple choice)

-have the test evaluated

-if more than 4 mistakes grab four pieces of paper and mark answers (multiple choice)

-have the test evaluated

-if again more than 4 mistakes grab four pieces of paper and mark answers (multiple choice)

-repeat till you have less than 4 mistakes and before the DL office closes down at 1800 hrs

once you passed wait till your name is called and

-help the lady tester to climb in your car and take your place behind the wheel

-if you don't have a car you can't make the test!

-don't forget to buckle up

-listen to what the lady tester has to say

-"we are going to drive now and at every stop sign you make a good stop for me"

-drive, make a good stop and listen to "turn right", drive till the next stop sign, make a good stop and listen to "turn right", drive 250m and follow the "turn right" command into a smaller street

-when the lady tester says "turn around and drive back where we started" you turn around and drive back where you started

-after finishing the test (~6-8 minutes) you answer politely "yes Ma'am, indeed i did" when the lady tester says "but you must have been driving before!"

I am married to a Thai Muslim in Pattaya. In Pattaya Muslims are not exempted from wearing a helmet if they have a head covering. Just like some other Thai's they don't wear helmets in the first place.

I think they are Sikhs. I remember a few years back one, or more Sikhs, were attacked in the US because some people thought they were Muslims. Gotta learn who is who before you attack.