Poll: Obama Leading Romney 49% To 46% Ahead Of Second Debate

News_Editor

Love this map - a cartogram!

http://elections.huf...l-map#cartogram

That's a helpful tool. Certainly looks a lot more likely Obama will win electoral college when seen in graphic form like that. Romney has a path, but more difficult...

Made even more difficult by the fact that his fellow Republicans keep alienating women voters daily with their "in depth" knowledge on rape and God....

Agreed. These pro-life nutters just keep putting up obstacles for Romney to win by making comments like that. And he has to support them because of the battle for the Senate. I'm sure he does not really want to do that, given the pragmatist that he is and that he would do anything to win, but no choice I guess with the party demanding it.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love this map - a cartogram!

http://elections.huf...l-map#cartogram

It's interesting, but where's Washington D.C., my former home town?! Ok, we know DC will vote for Obama. After all, they're also picking a family for their neighborhood.

That's a helpful tool. Certainly looks a lot more likely Obama will win electoral college when seen in graphic form like that. Romney has a path, but more difficult...

Made even more difficult by the fact that his fellow Republicans keep alienating women voters daily with their "in depth" knowledge on rape and God....

Agreed. These pro-life nutters just keep putting up obstacles for Romney to win by making comments like that. And he has to support them because of the battle for the Senate. I'm sure he does not really want to do that, given the pragmatist that he is and that he would do anything to win, but no choice I guess with the party demanding it.

You can judge a man by the company he keeps. Actually Romney is hard right in his core beliefs, but he knows he has to portray himself as caring and inclusive - and he's doing a pretty good job at that. The Romney image is being conveyed rather well. It's just that many voters know that, if he were to get in to the White House, the real Romney would be revealed. Same for Ryan, who spooks me a lot more than Romney (and Holloween is coming).

You can judge a man by the company he keeps. Actually Romney is hard right in his core beliefs, but he knows he has to portray himself as caring and inclusive - and he's doing a pretty good job at that. The Romney image is being conveyed rather well. It's just that many voters know that, if he were to get in to the White House, the real Romney would be revealed. Same for Ryan, who spooks me a lot more than Romney (and Holloween is coming).

I'm not so sure Romney has any hard core beliefs other than winning (sort of a sober Charlie Sheen) based on his chameleon flip flopping so far as a politician. I do know that he is hard core Mormon, and they are anti-abortion, but not obsessively so, like the Evangelicals. I believe if elected, he'll certainly try to appoint far right judges, but I don't see him going to the wall on abortion.

You can judge a man by the company he keeps.

In politics? Well, you can - but I wouldn't recommend very stringent adherence to such a principle (lest you wind up with no viable candidate worthy of support).

EDIT:

For that matter, while certainly I care and think we all should who our leader(s) associate with or lend support to (and there are some people/groups who'd be a dealbreaker for me), I question how effective a leader you'd have if you limited those deemed suitable to people who only kept company with people of whom you approved.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Edited by SteeleJoe

I'm not so sure Romney has any hard core beliefs other than winning (sort of a sober Charlie Sheen) based on his chameleon flip flopping so far as a politician. I do know that he is hard core Mormon, and they are anti-abortion, but not obsessively so, like the Evangelicals. I believe if elected, he'll certainly try to appoint far right judges, but I don't see him going to the wall on abortion.

As the Republican standard-bearer this year, Mitt Romney, a late-in-life convert to the pro-life cause, finds himself at the helm of a party staking out an increasingly absolute opposition to abortion, even as he tries to woo moderate voters he’ll need to win on Election Day.

That’s come to a head this week as Mr. Romney grapples with Richard Mourdock, the GOP's Senate candidate in Indiana, who said during a debate that if a pregnancy results from rape, the life is still precious and “something that God intended to happen.”

Mr. Romney evolution on the life issue — from pro-choice to pro-life — has been well documented and has given opponents an opening to attack him as a political opportunist.

He says he opposes abortion except in cases of rape or incest, or when the mother’s life is endangered. He also has made inconsistent statements on whether he supports an exception in cases of the mother’s health.

Many conservatives go further, though, arguing that if life begins at conception, then there can be no exceptions under the law. These pro-lifers have defeated efforts to insert those exceptions into the Republican Party anti-abortion plank, leaving the party officially silent on them.

The dispute pits Republicans against each other, with Mr. Romney’s running mate, Rep. Paul Ryan, on the conservative end, and those such as Sen. Scott P. Brown Massachusetts on the other end.

Polls show that abortion remains a top concern for many women voters, even in an election that has largely been seen as a referendum on Mr. Obama’s economic policies.

,The Wahabbi Sect in Saudi for starters.

Errr...you mean the entire ruling structure of that country, yes?

I share your sentiment to a degree but I think referring to it as a sect in this context somewhat diminishes the scale of what you propose.

When one has to deal with a Government, that has, at it,s Core, a Bunch of Anti Just About Everything dictating, how the West should behave, when we (The West) are more tolerant than ever in History. In the long run Tolerance will win out, but a little pushing would speed up the end result.

,The Wahabbi Sect in Saudi for starters.

Errr...you mean the entire ruling structure of that country, yes?

I share your sentiment to a degree but I think referring to it as a sect in this context somewhat diminishes the scale of what you propose.

When one has to deal with a Government, that has, at it,s Core, a Bunch of Anti Just About Everything dictating, how the West should behave, when we (The West) are more tolerant than ever in History. In the long run Tolerance will win out, but a little pushing would speed up the end result.

I'm not necessarily arguing against your premise. I just feel that you risk underestimating or appearing to diminish the actual extent of what is faced there when make a reference to a sect but fail to highlight that it is the core belief of the people who founded the country and own it.

And the problem goes beyond any "dictating how the West should behave" (if indeed I even understand what you mean by that) but goes all the way to funding and otherwise nurturing groups and individuals who make war on the west and murder its citizens (and their fellow Muslims).

Detroit News just endorsed Romney. The Det News is Michigan's big newspaper.

"President Barack Obama came into office in 2009 riding a wave of hope and change. Unfortunately, he has not delivered on the nation's yearning for change nor on the specific promises he made to fix what is broken."

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121025/OPINION01/210250332/1008/opinion01/Editorial-Mitt-Romney-Presiden

"President Barack Obama came into office in 2009 riding a wave of hope and change. Unfortunately, he has not delivered on the nation's yearning for change nor on the specific promises he made to fix what is broken."

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121025/OPINION01/210250332/1008/opinion01/Editorial-Mitt-Romney-Presiden

What a shocking turn of events! A conservative paper that has never endorsed a Democrat in over 100 years of existence and all but 3 times endorsed a Republican has endorsed...a conservative Republican.

(Oh, and it's ONE of Michigan's big papers)

EDIT: Didn't endorse Roosevelt. Truman. Kennedy. Clinton. Yeah, if I were Pres. Obama, I'd not be too disappointed to not get their seal of approval.

Edited by SteeleJoe

HUGE endorsement by COLIN POWELL.

Powell endorsed him in 2008 and his endorsement again this time will not get Obama 10 extra votes. laugh.png

This time there is no element of surprise. When Powell announced his support In 2008, he was the USA's most popular general saying he had confidence in the foreign policy judgment of this decidedly inexperienced Senator from Illinois. It was completely unexpected and when it happened, the endorsement was widely regarded as of “final piece of the puzzle” moment. But I think that this time their is no element of surprise. Obama can go ahead and use the endorsement, but it’s hard to see the endorsement having the same sort of lift that it did four years ago. I don't understand why Powell doesn't leave the Republican party, his only function now seems to be staying there to endorse democrats........I think most people will see through this particular endorsement.

• Like 1

Powell endorsed him in 2008 and his endorsement again this time will not get Obama 10 extra votes. laugh.png

This time there is no element of surprise. When Powell announced his support In 2008, he was the USA's most popular general saying he had confidence in the foreign policy judgment of this decidedly inexperienced Senator from Illinois. It was completely unexpected and when it happened, the endorsement was widely regarded as of “final piece of the puzzle” moment. But I think that this time their is no element of surprise. Obama can go ahead and use the endorsement, but it’s hard to see the endorsement having the same sort of lift that it did four years ago. I don't understand why Powell doesn't leave the Republican party, his only function now seems to be staying there to endorse democrats........I think most people will see through this particular endorsement.

Interesting though, John Sununu, a major Romney surrogate, has said Powell did it because he is black. Yet another racial comment sure to cause a stir.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/25/sununu-cites-race-as-factor-for-powells-obama-endorsement/

Interesting though, John Sununu, a major Romney surrogate, has said Powell did it because he is black. Yet another racial comment sure to cause a stir.

http://politicaltick...ma-endorsement/

Maybe he did, maybe he didn't........who knows why a republican endorses a democrat?

Edited by uptheos

A look at the man who may yet be a heartbeat away from being president and commander in Chief:

(would you trust this man to oversee your family's budget, let alone the largest budget in the world?)

excerpt below:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

(vice presidential candidate) Ryan, through the course of his career, supported measures that have significantly added to the deficit. In 2001 and 2003, Ryan voted for the Bush tax cuts, tax cuts that did "lasting harm to the deficit."

In 2003, Ryan also voted for Medicare Part D, a program that Nobel Prize winning economist Paul Krugman said created a $9.4 trillion hole in the federal government's books.

Ryan has also repeatedly pushed to partially privatize Social Security, a plan that reportedly "would require $2.4 trillion in additional costs over the first 10 years."

source

Note: the last time the US had a Republican president, it was actually the vice president who was running affairs from the White House.

Your source is no better than Twitter. It is Media matters, a George Soros enterprise.

So, you're dissing the messenger? If you have stats which refute the data in the excerpt, please share 'em with us. Thanks in advance.

I don't have the energy or time to research everything that Media Matters puts forth.

However, I don't quote Sean Hannity or Ann Coulter for the same reason.

Maybe he did, maybe he didn't........who knows?

I'm betting John Sununu doesn't.

I agree with all the people who are angry about the comment though. It insults the very distinguished reputation of Powell to suggest that he would back a candidate simply because of his race.

Most Americans of good will understand that Powell's endorsements of Obama are sincere and not racial. He's still a republican but has not moved with the party, to the FAR right. Powell also brought up a good point to emphasize, given his background: Obama has not STARTED any new wars!

To those who say Powell's endorsement is worthless, that is just sour grapes. Imagine how important the Romney people would have found it IF Powell had endorsed Romney. It is indeed the most important endorsement of the endorsement season so far. Sway the election? No. That's already swayed heavily to Obama via the electoral college. But it helps of course.

Edited by Jingthing

http://www.detroitne...Romney-Presiden

Circulation 140,000

I suspect if George of Thai Visa made an endoresment it would have a bigger impact.

Over time, as the Latino demographic grows, the days of the republican party winning the presidency will be over though.

Latinos will start voting Republican before that happens. Their values are pretty conservative.

I kinda agree with you - but you have to get rid of the minutemen (sp?) and develop an immigration process which they perceive isn't going to discriminate against them.

Latinos are generally conservative, but they're not a block of voters. There's a lot of variance in how they vote, same with the general population. Latinos and Hispanics (many fit both categories) comprise 16.4 of the US population, over 50 million folks. It may seem counter-intuitive, but Latinos want strong border security. Just because they've found a better life in the US, doesn't mean they want all their brethren from Latin countries to come over and share it. If a group of Latino boys are cruising their neighborhood without a lawnmower in the back of the truck, that could be cause for concern.

Perhaps even a few of those same Latinos will remember that Obama had complete control of immigration reform in his hands the first two years of his administration.

He did NOTHING.

I agree with all the people who are angry about the comment though. It insults the very distinguished reputation of Powell to suggest that he would back a candidate simply because of his race.

Don't get me started on Gen. Powell's reputation: suffice it to say I am not at all without respect for him but I've long felt he was WAY overrated and that significant faults are typically overlooked.

And if that hasn't riled people enough I'll be even more provocative here: I think part of the reason why he's been overrated is that in many instances the Liberals love to embrace him because it makes them feel more credible to have a Black military man that they can approve of and the Conservatives love to embrace him because he's a Black man who always went with The Establishment and that lends them credibility.

Having said that, I'd probably have voted for him had he run for either party.

Edited by SteeleJoe

From what I know about Powell, I think he would have made the best Rep. candidate for highest office. Too bad his reputation was sunk by him being made the point man for going to war with Iraq. Cheney and Bush put him up there to be shot down, ....at least that's one way to read the ambush.

And I'll be a bit provocative here: I think part of the reason why he's been overrated is that in many instances the Liberals love to embrace him because it makes them feel more credible to have a military man that they can approve of and the Conservatives love to embrace because he's a Black man who always went with The Establishment and that lends them credibility.

Excellent analysis. Thinking of how Powell was bounced out of Bush Jr's White House, it reminds me of another old soldier, Alexander Haig, and how he also clashed with Defense Secretary Weinberger under Reagan. These generals don't seem to do so well in diplomacy. Who could ever forget the comedy when Reagan was shot, and Haig blundered that "I'm in Control" and he was ready to step in as President - obviously not knowing the line of succession. Great stuff.

Edited by keemapoot

I'm not one to worship Powell either, but he IS an authentic real republican MODERATE and thus represents something that hardly exists anymore. So in that he has political value especially to more independent voters who are mostly moderates.

Edited by Jingthing

And I'll be a bit provocative here: I think part of the reason why he's been overrated is that in many instances the Liberals love to embrace him because it makes them feel more credible to have a military man that they can approve of and the Conservatives love to embrace because he's a Black man who always went with The Establishment and that lends them credibility.

Excellent analysis. Thinking of how Powell was bounced out of Bush Jr's White House, it reminds me of another old soldier, Alexander Haig, and how he also clashed with Defense Secretary Weinberger under Reagan. These generals don't seem to do so well in diplomacy. Who could ever forget the comedy when Reagan was shot, and Haig blundered that "I'm in Control" and he was ready to step in as President - obviously not knowing the line of succession. Great stuff.

Thanks for the kind words. But...General George C. Marshall?

Granted neither Haig* or Powell would likely have rated as more than an junior aide to that Titan. H**l, even crazy old MacArthur did a fine job of diplomacy in occupation Japan.

*Actually, Alexander Haig sort of got a raw deal in terms of legacy. He was not quite the buffoon as people think (and wasn't precisely entirely wrong on that occasion) and he arguably did the country a significant service in virtually replacing Nixon in his last days . And Powell? Leaving aside how he got to where he is (and the way it affected his actions in Vietnam), we have him to thank for the acceptance of the "Powell doctrine" (though it was more Weinberg's) of which I am not a wholehearted believer.

Edited by SteeleJoe

Granted neither Haig* or Powell would likely have rated as more than an junior aide to that Titan. H**l, even crazy old MacArthur did a fine job of diplomacy in occupation Japan.

*Actually, Alexander Haig sort of got a raw deal in terms of legacy. He was not quite the buffoon as people think. And Powell? Leaving aside how he got to where he is (and the way it affected his actions in Vietnam), we have him to thank for the "Powell doctrine" of which I am not a wholehearted believer.

Yeah, correct, I used the wrong word, Diplomacy. I should have used White House Politics. Marshall yes, and MacArthur certainly was one of modern history's giants in diplomacy, but I guess it's easy to be that when you've vanquished the enemy in world war.

One thing that stands out, at least to me, is that the moron Biden is just a heartbeat away from being president. On the other side, it looks to me that there are a number of the vice presidential choices who look better than the presidential candidate.

I think Biden would make a fine president. If you want to make comparisons, let's look back a bit. Eisenhower had Richard ("I"m not a crook") Nixon. Nixon had Spiro Agnew, who probably couldn't put batteries in a flashlight without a manual and an assistant. Bush Sr. had Quail, who failed a spelling bee against a 4th grader. Bush Jr. had Cheney, who helped to usher the US in to two wars, at least one of which was under false pretenses. Now we're looking at Ryan, who could well bloat the federal deficit even more, percentage-wise, than his hero; Reagan.

Note: National debt, on average for each taxpayer, is approx. $134,685*. Ryan's economic plans would push that up considerably, if given a chance.

*source

You might wish to read your sources before you post them,,,

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

34 Shocking Facts About U.S. Debt That Should Set America On Fire With Anger

From your link:

#1 During fiscal year 2011, the U.S. government spent 3.7 trillion dollars but it only brought in 2.4 trillion dollars.

#7 During the Obama administration, the U.S. government has accumulated more debt than it did from the time that George Washington took office to the time that Bill Clinton took office.

#17 During Barack Obama's first two years in office, the U.S. government added more to the U.S. national debt than the first 100 U.S. Congresses combined.

#27 If you were alive when Christ was born and you spent one million dollars every single day since that point, you still would not have spent one trillion dollars by now. But this year alone the U.S. government is going to add more than a trillion dollars to the national debt.

#31 If Bill Gates gave every penny of his fortune to the U.S. government, it would only cover the U.S. budget deficit for 15 days.

http://theeconomicco...fire-with-anger

• Like 1

*Actually, Alexander Haig sort of got a raw deal in terms of legacy. He was not quite the buffoon as people think. And Powell? Leaving aside how he got to where he is (and the way it affected his actions in Vietnam), we have him to thank for the "Powell doctrine" of which I am not a wholehearted believer.

Yeah, correct, I used the wrong word, Diplomacy. I should have used White House Politics. Marshall yes, and MacArthur certainly was one of modern history's giants in diplomacy, but I guess it's easy to be that when you've vanquished the enemy in world war.

Fair enough. I get you. (And indeed you make a fine point about the advantages of being the victor, though I'd not take away from Gen Marshall's abilities -- I'm quite the fan -- or even MacArthur who was pretty dam_n smart in post war Japan).

Circulation 140,000

I suspect if George of Thai Visa made an endoresment it would have a bigger impact.

What's really funny and ironic about the endorsement by the Detroit paper is that they thanked Obama for the $80 billion bailout, but said that Romney would be a "better fit" for the White House.

Haha, sounds like a job application rejection letter, after the recruiter already pocketed your under table payment.

Circulation 140,000

What's really funny and ironic about the endorsement by the Detroit paper is that they thanked Obama for the $80 billion bailout, but said that Romney would be a "better fit" for the White House.

Haha, sounds like a job application rejection letter, after the recruiter already pocketed your under table payment.

:)