Psa: Cadbury Chocolate Is Back.....

gkinbkk

Now, will I get flagged as going off topic?

I am a fan of (UK) mars bars.

Is just me or do local mars bars not seem to taste as good/the same as real (UK) mars bars.

Has anybody come across the truckers favourite Yorkie bar? licklips.gif

I reckon you are safe with this one Loz after all it is chockie related and we loveee to hear of alternatives.

I always found the Mars bars a bit sickly for me, re the contents, but each to his or her own favourites..

Yorkie bars well that,s another story licklips.giflicklips.gif

marshbags thumbsup.gif

Here's what the Central Market at CentralWorld was offering the other day in terms of Cadbury... 100g and (I think) 200g bars... actually priced higher than comparable Lindt chocolates. And no high-cacao dark chocolate from them, at least here, at all...

Wow $7 for a candy bar eh?

Making me feel kinda old now :)

• 3 weeks later...

When we moved to Australia in 1987 one of the first things I bought was a Mars Bar. It wasn't nice. There definitely was a difference in the chocolate. I bought bars of chocolate and it was the same. I don't know what it was, but it tasted different.

I mentioned it to someone and they said something about it having an extra ingredient because it has to sit on shelves without melting. It sounded like a reasonable explanation to me, so I just accepted it. I got used to it over the years (as you do) and the chocolate here in Thailand seems to be the same tasting as Australia. When we go on our annual trip to UK I gorge chocolate. I try not to buy it here, it's expensive and I don't really enjou it, but sometimes you just have to.

Interestingly, the white chocolate tastes the same as UK.

Chocolate should not go it the fridge. That is why it turns white.

Definitely not having a go at your post Harry, just offering additional info. to prevent it happening.

I always keep some in the fridge, sometimes for up to a year and have never had the white effect you mention but the rprobable reason for it is due to fluctuations in the storage temperatures.

Quoted the following more detailed reason I got from google which compliments my initial reply

It's called 'blooming' and that means that at some point in the long storage the candy underwent a change in temperature, causing the chocolate to soften and reharden. The cocoa butter separated a little, came to the surface causing those white marks. So that's all it is, cocoa butter

marshbags thumbsup.gif

P.S.

It still tastes good, I used to buy it in the U.K. in fact still do, the reason it is sold at discount is due to the inferior appearance of it and customers who would return it as damaged goods.

Edited by marshbags

On the refrigeration issue, I bought a case of 85% cacao Lindt dark chocolate bars some months back, and kept the dozen bars in the frig here for several months until I slowly worked my way through them one by one.... From the first to the last, they emerged as dark as night with not a white or light spot on them.... FWIW...

• Like 1

And it would be rude of me to not post on a chocolate thread :D

Give me two more days and I may even have some pics worthy of this thread (I've still got almost a full day to be a good girl and Santa will still give me choccie presents I'm sure )

Merry Christmas everyone :)