Psa: Cadbury Chocolate Is Back.....

gkinbkk

After a long absence from Thailand of Cabdbury's chocolate I was SUPER excited to see it back on the shelves of the Central World supermarket today.

For me there is daylight between Cadbury's and the other muck that comes labelled as chocolate.......anyway, I know some people missed it so fill yer boots!

I am happy with pretty much any kind of imported chocolate, but I will have to try Cadbury's as it seems to have a lot of fans.

I would say that Cadburys has a few fans, it's the best chocolate in the world (disputed by Americans).

Cadburys were also the first company to produce solid chocolate confectionary.

Quote from Wiki 'In the 19th century, Briton John Cadbury developed an emulsification process to make solid chocolate, creating the modern chocolate bar.

I grew up fairly near to their factory (in Bournville) and walking around the local area you could smell the chocolate (oh the memories).

I used to sometimes go to Bournville as a teen just to walk down the streets and smell that chocolate.

So, not only is Cadburys chocolate the best in the world, it was the first in the world and also it smells the best.

• Like 1

Over the last few years, especially since Kraft took over, there has been some controversy in the UK and Australia over change in the taste of Cadbury chocolate. Can any of the Cadbury fans taste any difference?

Is it a bit cheesy now????

sent from my ..................#

• Like 1

I am happy with pretty much any kind of imported chocolate, but I will have to try Cadbury's as it seems to have a lot of fans.

It's good thumbsup.gif - my favourite is Cadbury's Fruit & Nut. However, nowadays I only eat dark chocolate with a high % of cocoa.

It's good thumbsup.gif - my favourite is Cadbury's Fruit & Nut. However, nowadays I only eat dark chocolate with a high % of cocoa.

everyone's a fruit and nutcase including mecheesy.gif

Right now I'm in the UK, but I will be back on the 7th Nov. I will be doing a large Cadbury Choccy shop, next week for myself and my son (Rayong).

Also on the list will be,

Cathedral City cheese

Garners Pickled Onions

Hendersons Relish (any Sheffielders out there will probably be drooling now)

My daughter is talking about being over for Christmas and will be bringing more supplies of the same.

(she also sends emergency choccy supplies 3 or 4 times a year) thumbsup.gif

Me too. Does Cadbury's sell dark chocolate with a high % of cocoa?

The only dark chocolate that I think Cadbury makes is called Bournville in a red wrapper, but I don't think the cocoa content is high like Lindt etc.

They have the Old Gold line which is dark chocolates in different types

Will find link....

Here ya go:

http://www.cadbury.com.au/Products/Old-Gold.aspx

http://www.google.co.th/search?q=cadbury+old+gold&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=NwSNUITdBonLrQebpoHYBg&ved=0CDgQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=672

I prefer the traditional milk choccies though

Right now I'm in the UK, but I will be back on the 7th Nov. I will be doing a large Cadbury Choccy shop, next week for myself and my son (Rayong).

Also on the list will be,

Cathedral City cheese

Garners Pickled Onions

Hendersons Relish (any Sheffielders out there will probably be drooling now)

My daughter is talking about being over for Christmas and will be bringing more supplies of the same.

(she also sends emergency choccy supplies 3 or 4 times a year) thumbsup.gif

Hendersons made a special limited golden edition in tribute to our local lass Jessica Ennis.

They have apparently had to do more as the limited edition sold out fast and left many asking for more.

I am hoping our kid has got me a bottle to keep as a personal tribute to her for my Thai abode.

The U.K. cadburies has to kept cool as you will know and as I bring a few kilos back I make sure room is pre made and it is transferred straight to the fridge to prevent it melting.

Does the choccy your daughter send over stay solid by the way and any problems with customs re import tea money / taxes ?

The Thai version, like most local chocolate must have a different recipe as it tends to a point to keep it,s firmness out here.

I,ve often wondered what they do to make it more heat resistant in the hotter climates. ???

marshbags thumbsup.gif

P.S.

I usually add some Cunninghams Picalilli to my list for mi sandwiches licklips.gif

and at least one large box of Asda brand tea bags plus ect. ect.

Edited by marshbags

The Asian made or sold choc may have lower content of cocoa butter to make them last longer in the heat

Not sure and no scientific evidence,just my non expert guess :D

• Like 1

The Asian made or sold choc may have lower content of cocoa butter to make them last longer in the heat

Not sure and no scientific evidence,just my non expert guess biggrin.png

Yeh, I thought the same.

Several Fruit & nut, Whole Nut and Curlywurlys are now sitting (not for very long) in my fridge waiting to be devoured :)

From marshbags: Does the choccy your daughter send over stay solid by the way and any problems with customs re import tea money / taxes ?

There's never been any problems with customs but it does get a bit soggy, much to the amusement of the postman.

Laid flat in the fridge for a while sorts that out, the only problem with that is you lose all the individual squares, (no change in taste though!) but hey, I'm not that picky. licklips.gif

(mr marshbag, I was going to put a pic of a bottle of relish here but I'm not clever enough to do that!)

Edited by LoZth

Thanks to Mig and Norman for your replies and they have motivated me to look further as to the differences.

I hope the following url is of interest and appreciated, it contains lots of food related stuff also.

http://www.food-info.../qa/qa-fp45.htm

Thanks also to LOZth for your follow up.

I,ve managed to save a 230 gm bar of C. milk choc., 3 C. minature eggs and 3 packs of 6 choc penguins to share with my family of 3 at christmas. licklips.gif

marshbags thumbsup.gif

Edited by marshbags

Over the last few years, especially since Kraft took over, there has been some controversy in the UK and Australia over change in the taste of Cadbury chocolate. Can any of the Cadbury fans taste any difference?

Cadbury in NZ/Aus lowered the cocoa content significantly and got into strife over how they sourced their palm oil, particularly in Indonesia. In NZ Whittakers (a local brand a with good price, min 33% Cocoa, and exquisite taste) took the top spot and have retained it even though Kraft/Cadbury backpedalled.

Whittakers is available in Villa and Tops/Central Foodhall, but only the small bars and slabs, not the big blocks. Better than nothing, and better than Cadburies still.

On the strength of what Mr Katipo has said I think I'm going to have to give Wittakers choc bars a go.

(it'll be cheaper than the cost of postage from the UK, that's for sure, three large bars = £10 airmail)

Ive tried Whittakers, and yes they are quite good. not sure Ive seen them at most supermarkets in thailand? in Aus they were about 60% more expensive than Cadbury's if recall correctly?

(ahh yes Katipo says available in villa and food hall - will check prices and report back when I get a chance)

However, there are still some flavours that you can get with Cadbury's that Whitakers dont do

Cadbury Crisp for instance is one I quite enjoy. mmmmmm

Whittaker's isn't to my taste for some reason. Love Cadbury's and if anyone has spotted it in Chiang Mai let me know (by PM so that I can keep it all to myself j/k). Have been enjoying Lindt and in general prefer it but miss good old Cadbury's as it is an old favorite from back home.

Lindt used to do the Cherry Intense flavour a while ago, but never see that anymore. They are mmmm oh so good!! Only see orange or chilli flavored ones

Sorry not Cadbury related but still somewhat on chocolate topic :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cadbury's Willy Wonka invention - chocolate that doesn't melt! Sweet giant's patent on bars that stay solid in 40C heat for three hours

Ref the following ref url for the details which comes courteousy of the Daily mail U.K.

http://www.dailymail...oesnt-melt.html

Whie it is said to taste a little different it is still good and at the very least better for those of us who prefer this brand.

Personally I have tasted several versions of Cadburies modified and produced in hot countries and still found it good so the latest should more than likely be better.

The locally Thai produced version included as I purchased lot,s of it when it was first hit the stores here and enjoyed several promotions were I got complimentary extras. licklips.gif

marshbags thumbsup.gif

Edited by marshbags

Now, will I get flagged as going off topic?

I am a fan of (UK) mars bars.

Is just me or do local mars bars not seem to taste as good/the same as real (UK) mars bars.

Has anybody come across the truckers favourite Yorkie bar? licklips.gif