How Do Your In -Laws Treat You

kevvy

MMMM I have been married for quite a few years now to a wonderful lady. We have a great marriage and are happy. "each day should be like the day before " Thats the way we think and it works great for us . The only problem is her parents . When I first met them I took them out to dinner with the rest of the family , and they did not try to talk to me , even though I try so much to talk to them .In the years we have been married they haven't said more than 10 words to me , and did not come to our wedding . My wife has been married before to a thai man. I am now ready to just give up on them Yes , I I have helped them financially

Does anyone else have this problem.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They only get the government pension each month , so we give a little bit of money to them , they are the parents of my wife and payed for her education and I feel we should help them with some comforts , Yes my father in Australia was a real prick and when he got old I helped him as well.

lol man....

You treat people how they treat you.

If I got a mate anyone who is an asshol_e to me, I treat them like an asshol_e.

Simple problem here.

Why didnt they go to your wedding? Was it a legitimate excuse? Or was it like "sorry I have to go watch so and so on tv"

lol man....

You treat people how they treat you.

If I got a mate anyone who is an asshol_e to me, I treat them like an asshol_e.

Simple problem here.

Why didnt they go to your wedding? Was it a legitimate excuse? Or was it like "sorry I have to go watch so and so on tv"

Actually most people would be more than happy if the In-Laws wouldn't speak with them as they feel to speak friendly with them is extremely boring.....

Mine are ex- in-laws, and despite the fact that their daughter won't have much to do with her own kids, the rest of the family loves them to death, takes them in upcountry for school holidays and spoils them rotten.

Never asked for anything even when I should have chipped in, in fact they've lent me money when I've needed it, and are constantly trying to persuade me to take her back, all while bad-mouthing her for leaving us in the first place.

Love them to death, salt of the earth, wonderful people,

• Like 1

i think its is called respect .. respect for my wife as well . It is hard to think of the way some thai people think ... oh well , i still have a great wife and we are both happy .

It's completely part and parcel of the deal here, by marrying the girl you take on some of her obligation to help support her parents.

As long as it's a reasonable amount, you can consider it part of what you give to her to support her, and IMO as long as you're getting good value for your outlay no harm's done.

But it's true that you can leave yourself wide open to being abused if you play the sucker, so decide in advance what you're willing to shell out and stick to your guns. Obviously life-threatening illness etc may change your mind, but don't endanger your own nuclear-family unit's future security if you can't afford to help much more than the other family members.

Of course you have to be willing to let go of the missus if push comes to shove, but that's part and parcel of the game here too.

AFAIC whether they show gratitude or are even civil to you are not are besides the point, this is just part of your supporting her, nothing to do with what you might get back from them directly.

• Like 2

I'll bet if you cut off the money their attitudes would change.

There's one thing I learned a long time ago about human nature that's proven true in every culture I've been in. It's impossible to like someone you don't respect. First, get respect.

I wouldn't help them.

Why not? Do you know them?

why help someone who isn't friendly to me?

Its called respect, you may not really know them you may not particularly like them but at the end of the day they are your wifes parents and she probably loves them dearly, for that reason alone they deserve a little help if needed. (in my opinion).

My in-laws dont say much, they do try, I speal a little Thai so we do communicate a little, a nice smile can say it all at times, they often buy me little treats from the local market and if something is needed I take care of them, we get along fine and have mutual respect.

Before anyone jumps on it, NO I dont and didnt give them any huge amounts of money, they never even got a sinsod. BUT if they need something or have health issues I'm there, as I would be for my own parents, why ? because they are now my family too.

Charlie well said

My MIL helps my wife with our new born 2.5 months. She and I get on well. Her English is very limited. My Thai is also limited but we can communicate in other ways. My FIL does not speak to me but now and then we have our moments where smiles and gestures are exchanged. This morning we were both looking after my son. No talk but there was mutual respect. Our son looks very much like a farang but they both show that they love him. Each situation is probably unique to your own situation.

• Like 2

Charlie well said

My MIL helps my wife with our new born 2.5 months. She and I get on well. Her English is very limited. My Thai is also limited but we can communicate in other ways. My FIL does not speak to me but now and then we have our moments where smiles and gestures are exchanged. This morning we were both looking after my son. No talk but there was mutual respect. Our son looks very much like a farang but they both show that they love him. Each situation is probably unique to your own situation.

Well said you too.

But (minor point I admit) note that your son looking like a farang is a big plus in their books, one of the main reasons all those TGs want babies with us - if he'd come out dark with no bridge to his nose they'd probably have been upset.

I wouldn't help them.

Why not? Do you know them?

why help someone who isn't friendly to me?

Its called respect, you may not really know them you may not particularly like them but at the end of the day they are your wifes parents and she probably loves them dearly, for that reason alone they deserve a little help if needed. (in my opinion).

My in-laws dont say much, they do try, I speal a little Thai so we do communicate a little, a nice smile can say it all at times, they often buy me little treats from the local market and if something is needed I take care of them, we get along fine and have mutual respect.

Before anyone jumps on it, NO I dont and didnt give them any huge amounts of money, they never even got a sinsod. BUT if they need something or have health issues I'm there, as I would be for my own parents, why ? because they are now my family too.

But what sort of parents put their own daughter in such an embarassing position of losing face with them or her husband,blackmailing her emotionally in such a way?They are behaving disgracefully!

You have to draw a line in the sand somehow,they are the ones who are forcing the OP's hand after all!

It is up to the daughter to say look,this ends one way or another,money and respect or goodbye.It's not nice in any way but they will hate the OP more if he continues to give them money without acknowledgment!

It doesn't have to be much but just be civil and polite,nothing more...OR NO MORE MONEY!!!