Have I Become A Grouchy Old Man?

KED

<so I pushed back >

Hmmmmm. One of the things I enjoy about changing trains at Siam is standing in the middle of the doorway and stopping them trying to push on ( I have the body mass to do it ), LOL!

I don't think that makes you "grouchy", just standing for good manners.

However, if you became a "grumpy" old man/ woman, you could have a tv show and make lots of money ( like they do in the UK and Oz ).

Hmm, are you planning on changing the behavioral characteristics of everyone in Thailand, one at a time!

I think you read something into my post that I didn't write. I enjoy blocking the rude, bad mannered "pushers", but I have no illusions that I'm educating them.

Same as when I was in Saudi and they kept pushing into the bank queue, I'd go and shout at them, but I had no reason to believe that they'd change their ways- made me feel better though.

Right, got the picture, so your home grown culture dominates, regardless of where you are?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone mentioned in an earlier post it's normal all over the world for people to let passengers get out of trains before boarding.

Here they have to plaster yellow tape on the platform to indicate where people should stand.

I've been on the subway with a couple of friends and we were discussing this problem when the train stopped at a station. Sure enough there were a couple of people standing right in front of the doors as they opened so we couldn't exit without barging through them. Ok, we agreed just to stand there blocking the doors and it took quite a few seconds before the passengers on the platform moved. We politely said thank you and walked off. Other times I just take the "mai pen rai" attitude and let them on first or squeeze to one side.

As someone mentioned in an earlier post it's normal all over the world for people to let passengers get out of trains before boarding.

Here they have to plaster yellow tape on the platform to indicate where people should stand.

I've been on the subway with a couple of friends and we were discussing this problem when the train stopped at a station. Sure enough there were a couple of people standing right in front of the doors as they opened so we couldn't exit without barging through them. Ok, we agreed just to stand there blocking the doors and it took quite a few seconds before the passengers on the platform moved. We politely said thank you and walked off. Other times I just take the "mai pen rai" attitude and let them on first or squeeze to one side.

It's normal in your culture, only.

<so I pushed back >

Hmmmmm. One of the things I enjoy about changing trains at Siam is standing in the middle of the doorway and stopping them trying to push on ( I have the body mass to do it ), LOL!

However, if you became a "grumpy" old man/ woman, you could have a tv show and make lots of money ( like they do in the UK and Oz ).

Hmm, are you planning on changing the behavioral characteristics of everyone in Thailand, one at a time!

I think you read something into my post that I didn't write. I enjoy blocking the rude, bad mannered "pushers", but I have no illusions that I'm educating them.

Same as when I was in Saudi and they kept pushing into the bank queue, I'd go and shout at them, but I had no reason to believe that they'd change their ways- made me feel better though.

Right, got the picture, so your home grown culture dominates, regardless of where you are?

<so your home grown culture dominates>

Dislike of rude, bad mannered people. YES!

<so I pushed back >

Hmmm... up to a point I think so. In Pakistan it is OK to burn your wife if the dowry isn't high enough ... not a custom I would necessarily support. Similarly, there are some customs here I will NEVER support. A case in point. I will NEVER give up my seat to a Thai on public transport because, it is quite likely that it could then be given in turn to a child. Sure it is their culture to give seats to monks, children, pregnant women then the old in that order. That's fine for their culture and if they want to do that.... fine... but not me.

One good thing about Thai BTS culture is the reluctance of Thais to push onto the already crowded BTS train to get to the less crowded spaces away from the doors. Phra Khanong BTS is a nightmare at 8.30 each morning, but I always manage to get on a train and leave my less forceful fellow commuters waiting on the platform for God knows how long. But I always do it with a nice smile and an apology in Thai...

Edited by brewsterbudgen

not a grouchy old man but you just brought yourself down to her level. not a very smart move either, you could get into a shithole scenario considering a female is involved and being a foreigner doesnt help

Probably a lack of imagination from my side, but what kind of scenario ?

Anyone unhappy with manners in Thailand should visit China.

Things will better on your return.

+1

Or visit Japan for that matter, where they have train employees pushing people into the train so the doors will close. (oops sorry Banzai, didnt see your post)

Im a veteran of 20+ years taking the new York City transit system. Ive seen it all.

Edited by rideswings

+1

Or visit Japan for that matter, where they have train employees pushing people into the train so the doors will close. (oops sorry Banzai, didnt see your post)

Im a veteran of 20+ years taking the new York City transit system. Ive seen it all.

I've never seen this in Japan, but in Hong Kong, the platform assistants don't push people except if they are preventing the doors from closing; their job is not to get more people on the train, it's to get the doors closed and the train away with no-one's arse sticking out

SC

In Japan their job is to maximize the number of passengers per train.

On the busiest lines they'll do this every five minutes or so, and if they didn't the "queues" would back up past midnight.

People there are used to it. Not pleasant for anyone, attractive girls least so.

look at the upside..it can work for you also...

I never take a number at the bank just walk up and stand behind a customer lean over and drop my paperwork on the clerks desk..no one turns a hair.....maybe they think I am rude and ignorant?..I am certainly ignorant of &lt;deleted&gt; the auto queue is announcing.

Now they have opened a bank in our village so I get personal service from a cute little fat hairy legged girl with blue contact lenses sitting at a desk while they contribute to deforestation and photocopy my life history.

I do wonder why that security ? guy salutes me as he holds open the door? Musta heard I was a major in the SAS....cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I used to be grouchy and younger now I am a fricking miserable old bugger...because I am old.

I was waiting at an intersection yesterday trying to turn the corner and there is this spaced out old guy on a motorbike staring everywhere like "where am I" wobbling at 2km/hr across my path............felt like getting out and pushing him off..instead I started staring around too! Not as if I had to be anyplace......might well be me in a few more years....tongue.png

+1

I suppose, this much water 'in the NY transit system is even new for you, isn't it?

The Japanese 'pusher' are a help and a offered service by the train companies. But they still wait, till people left the train. That's also easy, cause the train isn't leaving the station, before everyone got pushed in, and the doors got closed.whistling.gif

Hmmm... up to a point I think so. In Pakistan it is OK to burn your wife if the dowry isn't high enough ... not a custom I would necessarily support. Similarly, there are some customs here I will NEVER support. A case in point. I will NEVER give up my seat to a Thai on public transport because, it is quite likely that it could then be given in turn to a child. Sure it is their culture to give seats to monks, children, pregnant women then the old in that order. That's fine for their culture and if they want to do that.... fine... but not me.

<because, it is quite likely that it could then be given in turn to a child.>

Not just in Thailand. It's a disgusting custom on the London tube as well. Often saw small children that could easily have been held on the parent's lap occupying a seat to themselves while lots of adults standing. Ignorant parents beget spoilt children, I guess.

I never give up my seat on Thai transport because I see many young Thais sitting and not giving up their seats to their elders, so why should I, an old person, make the effort?

Post modified to allow posting.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

I never give up my seat on Thai transport because I see many young Thais sitting and not giving up their seats to their elders, so why should I, an old person, make the effort?

Weird it's the same people saying "why should I change my honky customs just because I'm in Thailand" who say "I'm going to stop being polite because the Thais don't have the same definition of politeness".

Remember the whole concept of chivalry is a European thing.

The more powerful giving way to the less - road and boat right of way, holding doors, the man walking nearer the gutter all of that just doesn't pertain much elsewhere.

People don't give up their seats to older people unless they're visibly disabled.

They do to children and pregnant ladies and monks.

We used to do for women, now just for the elderly.

It's just different folks, no universal right and wrong about it.

Do what you like and live with yourself, nobody else really cares.

Weird it's the same people saying "why should I change my honky customs just because I'm in Thailand" who say "I'm going to stop being polite because the Thais don't have the same definition of politeness".

Remember the whole concept of chivalry is a European thing.

The more powerful giving way to the less - road and boat right of way, holding doors, the man walking nearer the gutter all of that just doesn't pertain much elsewhere.

People don't give up their seats to older people unless they're visibly disabled.

They do to children and pregnant ladies and monks.

We used to do for women, now just for the elderly.

It's just different folks, no universal right and wrong about it.

Do what you like and live with yourself, nobody else really cares.

<We used to do for women>

Quite right too. Women gained equality years ago ( in the west ), so why should it even be an issue? Makes me laugh though, when women complain that men don't have manners any more. One should be careful what they wish for.

Interestingly I often see younger people giving up seats to older (Thais only 'fraid) and I think it is a lovely gesture .. just not the child thing. On purely logical grounds, a child takes less standing space than an adult. But what is really hilarious (shouldn't say that ...but .. ) is when a woman gives her seat to a monk and the adjacent seat (occupied also by a woman) has to give up her seat too and the only ones standing are women and there is an empty seat for the begging... .. shame I already had a seat that day ... a seat in my life gone to waste. I don't suppose having 'God's Eyebrows' count huh?

I dont think so, i'm fed up with rude people.

I exit the trains now like a bull out of the gate because no one ever leaves a gap for those exiting.

I try to turn sideways so that I can fit between the people boarding. And to present my shoulder to those that don't move a couple of inches to one side or another. I can't say I recall noticing anyone blocking my way.

A winger finds space

A centre makes space

A prop doesn't need space

SC

i do feel bkk is not so bad, australia however. does my head in.

Perhaps you have not noticed, but Australia is a massive country and people vary from state to state !

he must of been to sydney 555