Have I Become A Grouchy Old Man?

KED

It's commonsense and etiquette worldwide to let the passengers off the train first so the passengers have space to get on.

OP I'm a grouchy young man if that makes you feel any better, good place to let of steam is here(pardon the pun).

The worst is when you get some little old lady rushing like lightening to push in front of you in a queue then taking an eternity to pay for her items.

Boy do I hate it when standing in line, the Person taking an Eternity to get their Items checked, then suddenly comes to the conclusion that they have to pay and start rummaging around for the Dosh/Card. which is somewhere about. How about an embedded Chip in your Wrist that is Auto scanned Debit/Credit.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's commonsense and etiquette worldwide to let the passengers off the train first so the passengers have space to get on.

OP I'm a grouchy young man if that makes you feel any better, good place to let of steam is here(pardon the pun).

The worst is when you get some little old lady rushing like lightening to push in front of you in a queue then taking an eternity to pay for her items.

Boy do I hate it when standing in line, the Person taking an Eternity to get their Items checked, then suddenly comes to the conclusion that they have to pay and start rummaging around for the Dosh/Card. which is somewhere about. How about an embedded Chip in your Wrist that is Auto scanned Debit/Credit.

And how many women want to pay the exact amount & have 3 or 4 different purses in their handbag with assorted denominations & loose change.

I had a heck of a job trying to get into a lift at MBK a few years ago.

I missed about 5 lifts due to other people pushing in front of me and cutting me off. If it was just me it wouldn't have been an issue but I had my daughter in a pram. If I waited directly in front of the doors I probably would have been able to enter the lift, but nobody would have been able to get out, so being consciencious I waited off to the side.

Big mistake as nobody gives way to a father with a baby in a pram, they just push right past you and cram in leaving us outside trying to get in.

That I find to be height of bad manners and caused me to lose any respect I had for the Asian way of living.

The other is the holding the door for others, when i first started to live in Thailand I would always hold the door for the person behind, only to find you can end up standing there holding the door for everyone, as hard as it is you just have to give up your own manners and behave like a local (ie not give a f*&^ck about anyone else).

This is one of the many things that I find very irritating.

You find this almost everywhere you go in Asia.

People jumping queue is also one of my pet hates.

Nothing much you can do except behave the same

way they do !

Queue jumpers make me see red, and i waste no time in telling them !

• Like 2

I dont think so, i'm fed up with rude people.

I exit the trains now like a bull out of the gate because no one ever leaves a gap for those exiting.

I try to turn sideways so that I can fit between the people boarding. And to present my shoulder to those that don't move a couple of inches to one side or another. I can't say I recall noticing anyone blocking my way.

A winger finds space

A centre makes space

A prop doesn't need space

SC

i do feel bkk is not so bad, australia however. does my head in.

Perhaps you have not noticed, but Australia is a massive country and people vary from state to state !

• Like 1

You all should join our group in Phuket the Grumpy Old Men's Society (GOMS). We have a good crack grouching about things that annoy us whilst raising money for charitable causes. The website is not finished yet but you are welcome to check it out http://phuketgoms.org

What a fantastic idea, wih there was one on Samui !

Confronted with a U-turn from the left hand side of the road in Bangkok rush hour recently, I was sweating a bit about it, expecting a two day wait. A large bus, a truck, a car and several scooters miraculously made way as soon as I gingerly edged forward. So the guys do have some public spirit, manners even.

You all should join our group in Phuket the Grumpy Old Men's Society (GOMS). We have a good crack grouching about things that annoy us whilst raising money for charitable causes. The website is not finished yet but you are welcome to check it out http://phuketgoms.org

What a fantastic idea, wih there was one on Samui !

Send me a PM with some ideas & I can tell how we got set up. It is not hard.

I dont think so, i'm fed up with rude people.

I exit the trains now like a bull out of the gate because no one ever leaves a gap for those exiting.

I try to turn sideways so that I can fit between the people boarding. And to present my shoulder to those that don't move a couple of inches to one side or another. I can't say I recall noticing anyone blocking my way.

A winger finds space

A centre makes space

A prop doesn't need space

SC

i do feel bkk is not so bad, australia however. does my head in.

Perhaps you have not noticed, but Australia is a massive country and people vary from state to state !

unlike thailand which is entirely homogeneous

In the real world normally I am quite calm. One song tau driver gave me a big smirk and told me he didn't have change for a 20 baht note and I snatched the one I had given him out of his hand. He chased me for half a block till a helpful bar girl tripped him.

Don't know about the real world, but this certainly sounds like a dream world!

• Like 1

Battling stickman for most modern web site i see

Horses for courses. Try putting a bunch of HTML5 in a website & see how it looks with IE. Personally I like to use up the available screen space rather than only half of it which is what I assume your "modern" websites are.

I celebrate the fact that I have lived long enough to have truly earned the title Grouchy Old Man. I wear it as a badge of honour. In a similar post I mentioned that when I first came here I was oh so polite ... respecting their customs etc., etc. Customs my fat asre ! I don't suffer fools gladly at the best of times and now on the BTS for example .... I'm 105 kg and about 180 cm tall and some dopey chicken legged 56kg wringing wet Thai thinks its Ok to try and walk through me and get in when we are all trying to get out .... Mai pben rai NOT ! In my best Thai I just tell them to get out of the way and move on. A large umbrella is a wondrous weapon for us GOM... you can hold it sideways and collect lots of them in one swipe. clap2.gif

105kg and only 180cm tall? You want to lay off the pies.
  • Like 1

Confronted with a U-turn from the left hand side of the road in Bangkok rush hour recently, I was sweating a bit about it, expecting a two day wait. A large bus, a truck, a car and several scooters miraculously made way as soon as I gingerly edged forward. So the guys do have some public spirit, manners even.

Well done!

Let me ask: You gingerly blocked the left lane, first.

After that , you hitched forward, because the bus blocked your sight, till the truck had to stop.

And so on, with the car, am I right?

Again, well done, well adopted manners. giggle.gif

• Like 1

I wish I had the courage to do that but no, they all stopped (I was driving out of a posh golf club, but in a really dilapidated pickup) and I took a second to react, realise that they were waiting for me. However I agree about your remark about well adapted manners, I have never been a shrinking violet when I see people exploiting my efforts to be civilised.

I ran a construction company for 40 years, not a polite environment to work in.

How it's done in Tokyo.

Didn't see anyone, who wanted to leave the train! whistling.gif

Grouchy - yes. And congrats - you pushed a woman! You must feel so proud....bah.gif

What, are you discriminating people by gender, age, or race?giggle.gif

<so I pushed back >

Hmmmmm. One of the things I enjoy about changing trains at Siam is standing in the middle of the doorway and stopping them trying to push on ( I have the body mass to do it ), LOL!

I don't think that makes you "grouchy", just standing for good manners.

However, if you became a "grumpy" old man/ woman, you could have a tv show and make lots of money ( like they do in the UK and Oz ).

I celebrate the fact that I have lived long enough to have truly earned the title Grouchy Old Man. I wear it as a badge of honour. In a similar post I mentioned that when I first came here I was oh so polite ... respecting their customs etc., etc. Customs my fat asre ! I don't suffer fools gladly at the best of times and now on the BTS for example .... I'm 105 kg and about 180 cm tall and some dopey chicken legged 56kg wringing wet Thai thinks its Ok to try and walk through me and get in when we are all trying to get out .... Mai pben rai NOT ! In my best Thai I just tell them to get out of the way and move on. A large umbrella is a wondrous weapon for us GOM... you can hold it sideways and collect lots of them in one swipe. clap2.gif

You're my hero!

<so I pushed back >

Hmmmmm. One of the things I enjoy about changing trains at Siam is standing in the middle of the doorway and stopping them trying to push on ( I have the body mass to do it ), LOL!

However, if you became a "grumpy" old man/ woman, you could have a tv show and make lots of money ( like they do in the UK and Oz ).

Hmm, are you planning on changing the behavioral characteristics of everyone in Thailand, one at a time!

I did the same thing a few times when I was a young man, so I don't think so.

I still do it. If someone wants to be an arrogant prick, I have no problem butting heads with them. Accept of course on TV where the arrogant pricks hide behind a veil of anonymity.

Yeah but everybody's taught to fear KeyserSoze. 555

<so I pushed back >

Hmm, are you planning on changing the behavioral characteristics of everyone in Thailand, one at a time!

I think you read something into my post that I didn't write. I enjoy blocking the rude, bad mannered "pushers", but I have no illusions that I'm educating them.

Same as when I was in Saudi and they kept pushing into the bank queue, I'd go and shout at them, but I had no reason to believe that they'd change their ways- made me feel better though.

• Like 1

I had a similar experience in Bangkok someone pushing into a lift that was already overly full of people. I said or did nothing until the lift doors closed, then whilst making eye contact with the perpetrator only, I burst out laughing hysterically. The individual lowered there gaze and remained looking at the floor until the next floor, where they sheepishly exited.

Pointing at them and talking to someone else works too.

As an aside, if you enjoy causing some embarrasment to rude people in a lift, just stand in front of the doors and look towards the people. Don't even need to say anything/ laugh etc.