Any Amateur Herpetologist Out There?

We take a daily walk and see some of the marvelous creatures of LOS. Yesterday this fellow decided to show himself. He's not the biggest we've seen but unlike the others, I had a chance to take my phone out and take a few pics of him.

Anyone have an idea what kind of snake he is? My phone doesn't have a zoom on it and I didn't' want to get too close so as to scare him away.

Anyone?

post-86619-0-01794100-1351167854_thumb.j

post-86619-0-01794100-1351167854_thumb.j

Looks rather similar to this one spotted crawling around our yard two months ago.

I am no expert, but my research at the time suggested it was a Malayan Pit Viper. Poisonous by all accounts!!

Doesn't look like a viper to me. Head is the wrong shape..

A Rat Snake, maybe?

Bigger pic of the head would be nice!

The photo does enlarge by clicking on it. At least it does on my browser.

I wasn't able to take a better photo of the head as i don't have zoom on my phone and getting closer may have caused him to set a world's speed record and I'd have been left with nothing.

I hope the enlargement helps with any guessing as to the definite kind of snake. Thanks to those for your input.

A Rat Snake, maybe?

Bigger pic of the head would be nice!

The photo does enlarge by clicking on it. At least it does on my browser.

I wasn't able to take a better photo of the head as i don't have zoom on my phone and getting closer may have caused him to set a world's speed record and I'd have been left with nothing.

I hope the enlargement helps with any guessing as to the definite kind of snake. Thanks to those for your input.

I enlarged the pic as much, as possible, that's why my guess was Rat Snake

But the head is a bit too artefacted, then.

Anyway, the skin looks like, too. I like snakes, this one looks pretty, nice pic.

And getting closer:

Can lead to a very quick attack and a couple of bites in your fingers. in case it feels a bit under pressure.

But we would know, by now, if it was only a rat snake. whistling.gif

Edited by noob7

I saw one like this on Ekamai a few months ago. I guess it was nearly 2 metres long and it managed to disappear before I got a photo.

At that time I searched the Internet and came to the conclusion it was a Rat Snake (Indonesian Rat Snake to be more precise).

Edited by petedk

I wasn't able to take a better photo of the head as i don't have zoom on my phone

absolutely no need (in this case) to photo the head. You captured all the info required - body pattern - for me to immediately tell you exactly what species it is.

thanks for the PM

I agree with the others, definitely a rat snake. Very fast but harmless (unless you are a rat).

Actually a protected species in Thailand because whilst it helps keep down the rodents it also makes a good curry.

I agree with the others, definitely a rat snake. Very fast but harmless (unless you are a rat).

Actually a protected species in Thailand because whilst it helps keep down the rodents it also makes a good curry.

Wouldn't call that protected if the poor things end up as curries..............sad.png

I would think the meat would be a bit tough if you waited for them to die!

Edited by chrisinth