What's The Big Deal About Marrying A Girl You Met In A Bar ?

coolhandjoe

There seems to be a certain viewpoint on TV that where you met you wife is of importance.

Yes it's important for memorable reasons and nostalgia.

I personally met my wife on an island called Koh Chang nearly 12 years ago in a beach bar where she was working as a chef cooking the best Thai green curry ever tasted in Thailand.thumbsup.gif

Yes! It was a bar but people asume a bar as in gogo pattaya etc

It cheeses me off when we meet other falang/asiatic couples who meet in bars that are shall we say less reputable .

As anyone else had similar experience ?

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care where people perceive I met my wife twenty two years ago. They can think what they like.

Walk the streets of a western city like Sydney or London and 90% of those who see you will gleefully think you're with a BG anyhow. You could go to the mall with Yingluck .... and they'd STILL think it. Who cares?

Good Point - So i'm correct in the assumption that all falangs think because you have an Asiatic wife you met under less selubiuos circumstances.

This sterio type is a hard one to crush in the western world no matter how hard you try.

• Like 1

Good Point - So i'm correct in the assumption that all falangs think because you have an Asiatic wife you met under less selubiuos circumstances.

This sterio type is a hard one to crush in the western world no matter how hard you try.

Unlucky, as soon, there are tattoos to spot on the wife: It's proved!

How many 'non-Bar Girls' do you know / have you seen, with a tattoo, that is not easy to hide??

I don't care where people perceive I met my wife twenty two years ago. They can think what they like.

Walk the streets of a western city like Sydney or London and 90% of those who see you will gleefully think you're with a BG anyhow. You could go to the mall with Yingluck .... and they'd STILL think it. Who cares?

I'd say so joe. But the problem is their's.

It's their mindset because it's the only thing they can perceive. How many people who have been to Asia have witnessed the expat courting the girl in the office or a fellow student at uni? That's not what they see so it's not what they know. And, even if they've never set foot in Asia, it's not the side of it they've heard about or seen on television. All they have a concept of is the 'seedy' (not my word, I don't care where anyone else met their wife)

• Like 2

I'd say so joe. But the problem is their's.

It's their mindset because it's the only thing they can perceive. How many people who have been to Asia have witnessed the expat courting the girl in the office or a fellow student at uni? That's not what they see so it's not what they know. And, even if they've never set foot in Asia, it's not the side of it they've heard about or seen on television. All they have a concept of is the 'seedy' (not my word, I don't care where anyone else met their wife)

The stereotype is also prevalent in Thailand. A bar girl is a girl some are good some not so just like the rest of the general population. How many western girls are virgins when they marry?

• Like 2

This may well have been triggered by my posts in another thread.

Since I engage in these activities on a semi-professional basis I have become perhaps more aware than many of those "context factors" that influence the odds of your meeting an honest and sincere girl as opposed to opportunistic scam artists.

However it would IMO behoove those who believe in long-term monogamy to pay attention to such factors even more than the butterflies.

If you're looking for a well-educated girl, therefore one with more a modern/global cultural outlook, then I concede perhaps the odds are a little less deterministic for some locations, but I suspect only very slightly.

If you're talking about those from a poor background, then I would say where you meet the girl has a **very very** strong influence on the kind of girl you'll meet.

And note even if she's a pure of heart saint, I personally prefer partners that don't have a habit of getting their enjoyment "bai tiao" in the evenings, and ideally don't drink alcohol at all.

But I concede this last is an usual and purely personal preference on my part, many guys are looking for girls with some sophistication and experience, which I avoid like the plague.

For those that don't have the time or inclination to learn Thai, then of course their options are more limited, but make sure it's not just laziness on your part - it's well worth making the effort to go to the extra trouble to create a healthy context in which you'll meet a better class of girl than simply trolling the known farang-man-looking-for-TG-and-vice-versa areas.

Personally it doesn't bother me what another falang thinks about the background my Thai partner. However, some are ignorant enough to make a comment in a bar, such as the individual who said to me your wife must of worked as a BG for a long time after overhearing us talking in English. I quietly informed him we had been living together in an English speaking society for many years and did not need his deep insight into Thai women.

What does annoy me is racism and this was exposed to my Thai wife during our 17 years in Australia and was very upsetting to her.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

Anybody want to own up to marrying a girl from a hoover bar?

i know a bloke who married a girl who worked at tesco electrical department, i think she sold hoovers.

yes, who will be the first to admit it, "she is different, she did not swallow"

i know a bloke who married a girl who worked at tesco electrical department, i think she sold hoovers.

Its not sex anyway, so whats the big deal?

Its not sex anyway, so whats the big deal?

mr clinton taught us that, it was not counted as a sex act.

Personally it doesn't bother me what another falang thinks about the background my Thai partner. However, some are ignorant enough to make a comment in a bar, such as the individual who said to me your wife must of worked as a BG for a long time after overhearing us talking in English. I quietly informed him we had been living together in an English speaking society for many years and did not need his deep insight into Thai women. What does annoy me is racism and this was exposed to my Thai wife during our 17 years in Australia and was very upsetting to her.

Yes it's important not to assume nor over-generalize, I certainly don't mean to imply aspersions on anyone's mate by giving advice for those still looking.

Some people also make the mistake of making moral judgments based on someone's choice of work, past or present.

In my experience, there are many sex workers in all countries that are very sincere, honest and moral people, and many end up making perfect spouses for open-minded mates.

As well as of course lying scam artists at the highest reaches of "respectable" society, again in all countries and both sexes.

My statements are based on my personal preferences and with a goal to helping increase the odds of finding a good one. Of course yourself being a mate worthy of such a partner (by her definition) is fundamental as well. . .

They're usually available at a very reasonable rate, as having only one customer probably <10 sessions per week would be very attractive compared to their usual workload. Going rate for the cute ones is about 15K per month, maybe more if you're older or otherwise less attractive, most likely good value in the short term for some.

Although I bet it wouldn't be long before they'd be pestering for more, at least their methods of persuasion would be more pleasant than most.

Personally I'd prefer to simply arrange regular house visits before or after her regular shift, may be a little more expensive but that way you don't have to put up with her hanging around all the time.

Of course don't expect a discount, you have to pay more for in-home visits, probably not worth it for most compared to your making the trip when the fancy strikes.