Good Stories About Baht Bus Drivers (For A Change)

eyebee

I live in North Pattaya near the beach and often travel to South Pattaya, so use the baht buses quite a lot. The other day I had to go to South Pattaya so flagged down a baht bus. The traffic on Beach Road was particularly heavy and the driver decided to turn off down Pattaya Klang. "Here we go again", I thought as I approached the driver's window intending to give him 5 baht (as I usually do if they turn off), but he waved me away with a big smile. I thanked him and got another bus down to South Pattaya.

Later that same day I returned to North Pattaya, so flagged down a bus on 2nd Road. A group of Japanese got on at Central Festival and spoke to the driver, I didn't hear what they said. As we got to the lights at Pattaya Klang, the driver got out of his cab and ran to the baht bus in front. He came back and explained to me that the Japanese wanted to be taken to Beach Road, but the driver in front was going north. Again he didn't expect me to pay him, and I just jumped on the bus in front.

So they're not all bad out there, whatever JT thinks!

• Like 2

You can easily find in my posting history the same sentiment -- that the drivers are not ALL bad. That isn't the point really. Many ARE bad. And the overall system has some major structural FLAWS, such as not offering any baht bus service on THIRD ROAD. As high season approaches, with the monied Russian tourists assembling it is going to be harder and harder to find a seat on a bus going into Pattaya as many or most of the drivers will be angling for charter fares. That shouldn't be allowed, there should be some OVERSIGHT over a PUBLIC transport system, the only one we have, but apparently there isn't.

On on the theme of charter groups hijacking already occupied buses, yes that happens a lot and the impact on riders varies from OK to annoying. The other day going to Pattaya a driver had a charter group but was still accepting 10 baht passengers. He didn't tell the new passengers. So without warning he takes a long detour all the way to Royal Cliff area adding about 20 minutes to the ride. Lovely. (And very rude.)

Yes I certainly have had experiences where I expected to pay a fare but the driver waves it off for various reasons. It does happen. Probably not often. In my case, a few times a year.

On good drivers, sometimes drivers even say thank you when you give them the fare. Some drivers drive at a reasonable speed and don't make jerky sudden stops. Some drivers stop long enough when people are boarding so that it isn't a hazard to be thrown off the bus on acceleration. Some drivers delay acceleration before your hand is outside the window when you are handing them the fare. Some drivers complete their expected, implied route before turning forcing people to pay the full fare when they aren't yet at their destination.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Yes I have found considerate drivers here in Patters. The number of female drivers seems to be increasing and they are better at serving the public/tourist. I do hope the quality stays the same or better as a trip to Phuket will open your eyes as to how good we have it here.

LLL

You can easily find in my posting history the same sentiment -- that the drivers are not ALL bad. That isn't the point really. Many ARE bad. And the overall system has some major structural FLAWS, such as not offering any baht bus service on THIRD ROAD. As high season approaches, with the monied Russian tourists assembling it is going to be harder and harder to find a seat on a bus going into Pattaya as many or most of the drivers will be angling for charter fares. That shouldn't be allowed, there should be some OVERSIGHT over a PUBLIC transport system, the only one we have, but apparently there isn't.

On on the theme of charter groups hijacking already occupied buses, yes that happens a lot and the impact on riders varies from OK to annoying. The other day going to Pattaya a driver had a charter group but was still accepting 10 baht passengers. He didn't tell the new passengers. So without warning he takes a long detour all the way to Royal Cliff area adding about 20 minutes to the ride. Lovely. (And very rude.)

Yes I certainly have had experiences where I expected to pay a fare but the driver waves it off for various reasons. It does happen. Probably not often. In my case, a few times a year.

On good drivers, sometimes drivers even say thank you when you give them the fare. Some drivers drive at a reasonable speed and don't make jerky sudden stops. Some drivers stop long enough when people are boarding so that it isn't a hazard to be thrown off the bus on acceleration. Some drivers delay acceleration before your hand is outside the window when you are handing them the fare. Some drivers complete their expected, implied route before turning forcing people to pay the full fare when they aren't yet at their destination.

A very fair summing up JT. I too get infuriated when a group hijacks an already occupied bus, often standing haggling for ages with the occupants of the bus getting more and more annoyed and impatient. And while they are haggling half a dozen EMPTY buses go past! Why don't they flag down one of those <deleted>?
  • Like 2

I never understand why people complain about baht buses. They're cheap and frequent. What exactly do you want? London buses? Taxis? Neither would be as effective or cheap in Pattaya as the baht buses. And in 5 years I never had a single problem with them.

One time last year, I was waiting along Thap Phraya Road in Jomtien for a baht-bus going to Pattaya and a bus came along and stopped. I got on and it went north along 2nd Road through Pattaya. Don't know where it went after that. I can't remember for sure but I believe it was 20baht. Never saw that bus again.

My western mind has thought of how much sense it would make to have a system of small buses run a route starting at the south end of Jomtien Beach Road going north through Jomtien and then along Second Road through Pattaya and then into Naklua. Then turn around in Naklua and go south through Naklua and then along Beach Road through Pattaya and then down into Jomtien. It would probably do wonders for the traffic problems in Pattaya. But, of course, the baht-bus drivers would not approve and that would be the end. It would probably meet with the same success as the attempt at bus service in Patong, Phuket.

A very fair summing up JT. I too get infuriated when a group hijacks an already occupied bus, often standing haggling for ages with the occupants of the bus getting more and more annoyed and impatient. And while they are haggling half a dozen EMPTY buses go past! Why don't they flag down one of those <deleted>?

I really hate that too.

I dont see the problem with this. I've a had a couple of free extensive tours of Pratumnak in the evening thanks to Russian charters, and it didn't bother me at all.

The whole point of a shared bahtbus is that it is shared. It gets you where you want to go for very little money but it may go to other places as well, and it may be slow.

If you are in a hurry then just take a meter taxi or motorcycle taxi, or drive your own car or bike. All will cost a lot more than a bahtbus but they will be quicker and more direct. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

• Like 1

I never understand why people complain about baht buses. They're cheap and frequent. What exactly do you want? London buses? Taxis? Neither would be as effective or cheap in Pattaya as the baht buses. And in 5 years I never had a single problem with them.

I'd be curious to know:

how frequently you ride the buses

whether it is your ONLY form of transport or whether you own a vehicle

what routes do you normally use

Because that information will most likely explain why you haven't had a single problem.

Congratulations BTW. I don't begrudge you your total satisfaction. Just don't expect everyone else to have the same experience.

BTW, yes I do want a fleet of Bangkok style (not London style) taxi meters to serve the LARGE areas not well covered by the buses. Such as third road, Pratumnak Hill, large chunks of the non-beach part of town.

Edited by Jingthing

Though I have a car for driving outside of Pattaya, I prefer to take the baht bus for shopping and such in the city (no worry about parking, running into motor bikes or farangs...). But nothing is more disgusting than being on a baht bus (one minute or 5 minutes) and a group of Russians end up hijacking the public "baht bus" to where they want to go. Yes, it is more profit for them, but the drivers certainly like my riding on the bus during slow season.

• Like 1

I dont see the problem with this. I've a had a couple of free extensive tours of Pratumnak in the evening thanks to Russian charters, and it didn't bother me at all.

The whole point of a shared bahtbus is that it is shared. It gets you where you want to go for very little money but it may go to other places as well, and it may be slow.

If you are in a hurry then just take a meter taxi or motorcycle taxi, or drive your own car or bike. All will cost a lot more than a bahtbus but they will be quicker and more direct. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

I think you might have misunderstood the story. I am not talking about the NORMAL detour they take when the Jomtien hill traffic is heavy into Pratumnak. That adds a few minutes max and is a nice break unless you intended to go somewhere on the hill road (actually it can SAVE time). My story was about a MAJOR detour. I have no issue with the expected normal detour as described but I would if I expected to get off at Mikes Mexican, for example.

Anyway, maybe you did understand. Either way, I don't agree with you. If a group charters a truck as a private ride and it is really going out of the way, that should NOT be imposed on random people without consent expecting the STANDARD bus route. I am sure even the baht bus cooperative even wouldn't approve of that being a regular practice.

There are no meter taxis in Pattaya.

Also maybe TOURISTS may like to go on random goose chases on rides that aren't their own, but I can assure you RESIDENTS on the way to things they want to do (maybe with time constraints) generally wouldn't welcome that.

Edited by Jingthing

Though I have a car for driving outside of Pattaya, I prefer to take the baht bus for shopping and such in the city (no worry about parking, running into motor bikes or farangs...). But nothing is more disgusting than being on a baht bus (one minute or 5 minutes) and a group of Russians end up hijacking the public "baht bus" to where they want to go. Yes, it is more profit for them, but the drivers certainly like my riding on the bus during slow season.

To be fair, it is not only Russians that do that. More so in Jomtien yes, but in Pattaya, more diverse. OK ... Indians. Edited by Jingthing

@JT

I don't live in Pattaya but i have used the baht buses. They are quite ok but if i were to live in Pattaya i would get a motorbike. Just curious why you did not get one, to drive yourself is of course much better.

If it was my only mode of transportation im sure i would feel the same way as you.

@JT

I don't live in Pattaya but i have used the baht buses. They are quite ok but if i were to live in Pattaya i would get a motorbike. Just curious why you did not get one, to drive yourself is of course much better.

If it was my only mode of transportation im sure i would feel the same way as you.

Because I know too many people who are dead because of riding motorcycles, including back in the states. Answer your question?

Pattaya is growing into a big city. You don't NEED a private vehicle in Bangkok. I see no reason why you should NEED one in Pattaya either. Taxi meters would help a lot.

Edited by Jingthing

@JT

Because I know too many people who are dead because of riding motorcycles, including back in the states. Answer your question?

Pattaya is growing into a big city. You don't NEED a private vehicle in Bangkok. I see no reason why you should NEED one in Pattaya either. Taxi meters would help a lot.

I wont ride a motorbike either.

Far too dangerous.

If you see the way cars drive here you would understand that riding a motorbike is a very risky thing to do.

@JT

Ok personal choice, scared of riding a bike. No problems there its a choice we all make.

@JT

Far too dangerous.

If you see the way cars drive here you would understand that riding a motorbike is a very risky thing to do.

I felt that way too when i first started driving my bike here 5 years ago. Now im ok, i even like driving the bike more then the car. But its a choice we all make. I was scared a lot when i started driving it.

@JT

Far too dangerous.

I felt that way too when i first started driving my bike here 5 years ago. Now im ok, i even like driving the bike more then the car. But its a choice we all make. I was scared a lot when i started driving it.

I wouldn't say I was scared at all. I look at it as not taking any unecessary risks.

As for good stories about songtaews I dont have many. I do like the fact that there are more woman drivers as they appear to be much more courteous and careful.

As with any transport system some drivers are good, some are bad and some in between.

What I find deplorable is the lack of routes along Third Road, Thepprasit, Cosy Beach, Wong Amat etc etc. This would not be so bad except that so often there are dozens of empty or nearly empty baht buses going round and round the Second Road/Beach Road circuit, poluting the atmosphere and clogging up the traffic. How some of these guys make a living I do not know. There must be money to be made for two or three buses on Third Road.

Also maybe TOURISTS may like to go on random goose chases on rides that aren't their own, but I can assure you RESIDENTS on the way to things they want to do (maybe with time constraints) generally wouldn't welcome that.

I am resident and I have a car too for that matter. Even so I take the bahtbus because it is cheap and convenient. But I dont expect it to be fast and I do expect it to do odd things.

If I wanted fast I would drive myself to wherever I was going.

And I was indeed talking about 20 minute detours all around Pratumnak and even right down to Cozy Beach. None of which bothers me at all, as long as I still only pay 10B.

I think baht bus drivers are much the same as any other group of people: some bad - some good. What surprised me in my original post was that I had two good experiences on the same day!

I do agree that groups of Russians, Indians or whatever, hijacking a bus can be annoying, especially if there are other people already on the bus. And what's worse, many times they are on Beach Road and want to go north or on 2nd Road and want to go south. Can't they take the short walk through to the appropriate road? Or maybe they don't know?

It is my policy to only pay 5 baht if the driver goes off the normal route, and I have never had any problems, or even little shows of anger with this policy. Yes, I end up paying 15 baht instead of 10 baht, but I feel justified.

As with any transport system some drivers are good, some are bad and some in between.

What I find deplorable is the lack of routes along Third Road, Thepprasit, Cosy Beach, Wong Amat etc etc. This would not be so bad except that so often there are dozens of empty or nearly empty baht buses going round and round the Second Road/Beach Road circuit, poluting the atmosphere and clogging up the traffic. How some of these guys make a living I do not know. There must be money to be made for two or three buses on Third Road.

Probably what happened at some stage in the past was that an entrepreuneurial bb driver decided to try out Third Road. He made good money and happened to mention this at the bb drivers somtam stop one afternoon.

Next day most of the Pattaya bbs were only operating on Third Road. Nobody made any money and they all decided 'f** this for a game of soldiers Im going back to Beach Road'. Its the Thai waybiggrin.png .