Farang Living In "the Sticks" Alone

swissie

Most Falangs, when living in the sticks have their wifes and family. I have none of that, I live by myself and I like it just fine.

There are 2 types of farang that can do this:

Type a) and this is myself: After a lifetime of hustle and bustle and stress with no end, I decided to settle in the sticks. But to me it was clear from the very beginning, that I would not seek integration into Rural-Village-Life. (Not willing to learn one of the most difficult languages and (lo and behold), not knowing what I would be talking to Thais about anyway). I have never lost sight of the fact, that I am European and always will be. = Different outlook on live, different upbringing, different values in general etc,etc....To some, this may sound like a snobbish attitude, but no. It's just the fact, that talking about the latest winning lottery-numbers and the latest happenings concerning soap operas (with the ladies) and how to beef-up a 125 ccm Motorbike so it will do a 160 and where to get the cheapest booze (with the gentlemen), is not the kind of conversation I prefer anyway.

So I explained in a friendly way and from the very beginning to my neighbors, that I wanted to only lead a peaceful and quiet live, without much interference from the outside. Not surprisingly, I was soon known as "the crazy farang". But not anymore. In the meantime they respect my choosen lifestyle and (I heard it through the grapevine) I have advanced to the status of an "OK-Farang".

Living alone in the sticks and inspite of books and Internet-Access, does it get boring sometimes? Yes it does. But certain "tourist-hubs" are still within reach. It's only, that after 2-3 days, I am usually glad to return to the sticks.

Type B): Heads for the sticks and acts like a clown. He is the life of the village and the life of every party. Has "friends" all over the place and "visitors" aroud the clock. Lots of fun, even in the sticks.

This can theoretically go on forever. It would only stop, if the farang should happen to run out of money. Then, all the music will abruptly stop and his status will drop from "good-farang" to "soi-dog."

To remember: This is about farangs living alone in the sticks and can not be compared to farangs with wife and family.

I prefer to stay with Type a). Cheers.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a great uncle (single) who lived the type A life in the US. Know of and have met a few others in remote areas who live in a similar style. Guess if you want to travel half way around the world to find your niche, good on you, what ever foats your boat.

Is there a difference between leading a quiet life in the 'sticks' as you call it and living quietly in a more urban setting? From my experience life in a small village is anything but quiet with the usual noisemakers. Seems a nice bungalow on Samui or similiar could be as relaxing as a place in the North East.

"So I explained in a friendly way and from the very beginning to my neighbors, that I wanted to only lead a peaceful and quiet live, without much interference from the outside".

They must have an excellent command of English then.

• Like 2

Good on you,

If that is what you want and are happy. That is all that matters.

I would put myself between A & B but more to the A side.

I too feel uncomfortable in the touristy spots now and after a couple of days doing what I need to do, like change books and purchase some things that I find difficult to find in the sticks, can't wait to go back..

So I explained in a friendly way and from the very beginning to my neighbors, that I wanted to only lead a peaceful and quiet live, without much interference from the outside.

Just curious. Without an interpreter, how did you manage this? You said " Not willing to learn one of the most difficult languages" unsure.png

Edited by Semper

So I explained in a friendly way and from the very beginning to my neighbors, that I wanted to only lead a peaceful and quiet live, without much interference from the outside.

Just curious. Without an interpreter, how did you manage this? You said " Not willing to learn one of the most difficult languages" unsure.png

Just lucky. The lady that runs the local coffee-shop speaks excellent english. As I gather, she used to work in Bangkok before. (No, not in soi Cowboy, but in Kasikorn Bank). And on top of it, she is a daughter of the "poo yai baan.". Until 2 weeks ago, I wasen't even aware of that. Well, if it desen't help, it surely can't hurt.

Cheers.

Just lucky. The lady that runs the local coffee-shop speaks excellent english. As I gather, she used to work in Bangkok before. (No, not in soi Cowboy, but in Kasikorn Bank). And on top of it, she is a daughter of the "poo yai baan.". Until 2 weeks ago, I wasen't even aware of that. Well, if it desen't help, it surely can't hurt.

Cheers.

Yes , this got to be true. Working in a bank in Bangkok, found it was boring and went back to live in the sticks. And on top of that, she's the daughter of the "poo yai baan". What else, does she have Chinese ancestors. laugh.png

Edited by Semper
  • Like 2

Cheers.

Yes , this got to be true. Working in a bank in bangkok, found it was boring and went back to live in the sticks. And top of that, she's the daughter of the "poo yai baan". What else, does she have Chinese ancestors. laugh.png

Would she has admit to a penchant for wall charts and lazer pointers ?

I'm curious as to why you picked Thailand to live in. Can you not live a similar lifestyle in your country of origin ?

Why did you chose Thailand to live ?

P.S. This is not a "If you don't like it here" post

Not possible in my home country anymore. Why Thailand? Before deciding on Thailand, I travelled a lot. After throwing everything on the scale = weather, infrastucture (transportation, banking wireless communication, relative stable political environement, cost of living etc.etc) I found Thailand to be a "hands down" winner. Not to forget the "may pen rai" syndrome.

Before neighboring countries can offer anything similar, they still have a long way to go. Amazingly enough, inspite of it all, they orient their pricing of goods and services according to Thai-Levels already !!??

Cheers.

• Like 1

and type c the boring old fart that couldnt make friends anywhere in the world and doesnt much like peoplebiggrin.png

Sigmund Freuds followers are still alive and kicking. They usually spread their wisdom by holding a cigarette in their left hand and a bottle of beer in the right, while sitting on a barstool in Pattaya.

Cheers.

Type a) and this is myself: After a lifetime of hustle and bustle and stress with no end, I decided to settle in the sticks. But to me it was clear from the very beginning, that I would not seek integration into Rural-Village-Life. (Not willing to learn one of the most difficult languages and (lo and behold), not knowing what I would be talking to Thais about anyway). I have never lost sight of the fact, that I am European and always will be. = Different outlook on live, different upbringing, different values in general etc,etc....To some, this may sound like a snobbish attitude, but no. It's just the fact, that talking about the latest winning lottery-numbers and the latest happenings concerning soap operas (with the ladies) and how to beef-up a 125 ccm Motorbike so it will do a 160 and where to get the cheapest booze (with the gentlemen), is not the kind of conversation I prefer anyway.

So why do you want to live among them ? Very strange. How did you find a place to live?

If you're bored, learn the language - speak to the local monks about the meaning of life. There must be some interesting people.

Type B - never met any single guys living in the sticks likie you describe.

Type A - only ever met one, whose wife left him and he decided to stay there and post on internet forums.

• Like 1

In my opinion the OP is describing himself as a recluse and the type of lifestyle he prefers to live is that of someone who is tired of life and has hung up his guns, a rather sad and strange individual.

He says; ("that I am European and always will be. = Different outlook on live life, different upbringing, different values in general etc,etc ") and also, ("that I would not seek integration into Rural-Village-Life. Not willing to learn one of the most difficult languages and (lo and behold), not knowing what I would be talking to Thais about anyway")

I think when the neighbors are describing the OP as the crazy farang, that this is not a term of endearment but rather as someone whose behaviour is not that of a normal person.

My questions to the OP is; why than he is living in a rural village? And in particular, why is he in Thailand?

There are certainly some strange sorts plonking themselves in Thailand lately, see my thread here: http://www.thaivisa....plain-pathetic/

And thankful at the moment that none of these are my neighbors, I would simply hate it.

Edited by Beetlejuice

So why do you want to live among them ? Very strange. How did you find a place to live?

If you're bored, learn the language - speak to the local monks about the meaning of life. There must be some interesting people.

Type B - never met any single guys living in the sticks likie you describe.

Type A - only ever met one, whose wife left him and he decided to stay there and post on internet forums.

I have only met one also. Same as what I have underlined. After she left him he had nowhere else to go. Lucky her Thai family allowed him to stay in his house on THEIR LAND!

I think the fact that the OP has described his situation on a public forum is his way of crying for help and is suffering from deep rooted personal emotional problems perhaps caused by having to leave his own environment for some reasons only known to himself.

I doubt whether he will respond to any of my questions in a positive way, they rarely do, so from now on it can be only speculation and hardly worth the bother.

Everyone has a choice, if the OP is happy with his lot good for him. Not how I would want to I've, but doesn't mean that he deserves all the suggestions of some deep seated psychological disorder that some posters feel qualified to diagnose.

He is not so happy because :

1/ He feels the need to justify his position when nobody asked him anything. Actually my feeling is the person he is trying to convince the most that he made the right lifestyle choice is himself.

2/ In his post there is a veiled criticism of people who live around him and don't share his lifestyle.

When you meet a happy, well adjusted person, he will speak enthusiastically about his life but will avoid talking negatively about others. Quite the opposite actually, he is usually the guy with the rose tinted glasses.