How Do I Survive Living At The Farm ... Tips And Tricks Please!

David48

Whoops I feel like a turkey now!

In my defence, you being American should know what a naked turkey looks like, I on the other hand as a non thanks giving Aussie who celebrates Christmas with dead Crustaceans or a chook has no idea!

• Like 1

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not for about three months, but we did take the chopper out to the most amazing deserted beach a little while back for a jog, swim and some breakfast. A fantastic morning. I would post a link to the photos but I just got an official warning for my previous link about my bread machine so shall refrain from doping so.

With an oven there are many more options besides bread.

Happy%2520New%2520Year%2520%2520002.jpg

rolls%2520%2520001.jpg

How did you make those cakes? They look absolutely yummy.

I have made roast potatoes in my bread maker . They were from the garden , although it was the only time i succesfully grew any , and they were excellent . I would have a bit of trouble getting a turkey in there although , a rat maybe or a pidgeon . They were little new potatoes .

post-100087-0-43938400-1355545335_thumb.

Why have you only been successful the once? Pests?

I think I was lucky with the first lot , the next time they just didnt grow and the plant withered . Its red clay earth mostly .

Farming part of the forum may have info. Nothing like your own spuds.

Here's a bread making tip .

I take a handful of dried flowers from the huge basil bush out the back and add as an aromatic grain to the mix . Useful if there is no wholewheat flour left .

Sounds interesting. Yesterday I grabbed some flowers and am currently drying them out. How dry should they be and do you grind them up first? I guess I should also try a loaf with fresh basil leaves as well.

Also, did you actually roast your tatties in the bread machine? How?

Here's a bread making tip .

I take a handful of dried flowers from the huge basil bush out the back and add as an aromatic grain to the mix . Useful if there is no wholewheat flour left .

Sounds interesting. Yesterday I grabbed some flowers and am currently drying them out. How dry should they be and do you grind them up first? I guess I should also try a loaf with fresh basil leaves as well.

Also, did you actually roast your tatties in the bread machine? How?

The basil bush is huge and there are usually plenty of the purple flowers dried out still on the stem . I just sort of scrape them off with my hand .

The bread machine roast potatoes were easy . I took out the paddle and placed the potatoes in the tin with a bit of oil and salt , I then set the machine to basic white loaf and left them . They were only small potatoes .

• Like 1

Germans love fresh bread just out of the oven. In Germany they actually go to the bakery in the mornings to get their daily fresh bread. ;-)

Germany is well known to have the worlds largest varieties of beer but mostly unknown is that it has even more varieties of bread!

I especially love sourdough rye bread in which I usually add one of the choices: green peppercorns, roasted onions, mixed grains, roasted onions and dry-cured ham, herbes de provence, ...

I felt this sharp pain between my toes. Kicked the flip-flop off, nothing to be seen, then maybe 1/2 a metre away, this largish black ant snickering to itself.

I can live good with the mosquitoes here (they like me, but whenever I kill one it's fresh food for my pla kat) but the <deleted>***ng ants can drive me crazy, especially as my skin reacts quite strong and long lasting (up to one week).

Bye,

Derk

• Like 1

Maybe the Germans think they have the world's largest varieties of beer and it's true that there are still many small and regional breweries. Many of the breweries brew very similar lager styles though - product of the simple (and quality-inspiring) German brewing standards form 4 unaldulterated ingredients. For a the broadest variety of beer styels I reckon you do much better in Belgium or the UK.

All a question of taste and opinion though - neither of us can be right or wrong (unless we happen to favour industrial marketing pop, like Heineken!)

Onion Luke, the basil bread is all set to go for the morning. The roast potatoes on the other hand are not. sad.png I can't remove the bloody paddle out of the bread machine! I think 10 months of inactivity have seized it up.

MeMock , worry not , just set the bread machine to basic white loaf , let the paddle do it's bit and when it has finished throw in the potatoes . You could also set it to extra bake . I forgot to mention the potatoes were scrubbed not peeled and the skins went all caramely . Enjoy your repast .

• Like 1

Who wants daily bread at the farm when you can eat this:

post-70928-0-79358600-1356121962_thumb.j

Err, me actually. To me the only "real" fish is cod or haddock. Other than that I don't eat fish very often and the thought of squid, octopus shellfish etc does absolutely nothing for me at all.

I normally eat fresh fruit, melon, pineapple, banana and the like plus one slice of homemade bread and butter and one of toast most days.

That photo was taken at a restaurant was it not?

This is being made and prepared at home as well. There is always a lot of effort being put into presenting the meals on the table at the farm. This is always a very relaxed moment when i help out making the table. Many things have to be considered while doing this. For instance food from yesterday will be tested and tasted before being presented. Preparation is the same as in any other small restaurant:

post-70928-0-59512700-1356196324_thumb.j

Food at the farm is perhaps not excactly presented in the same way as in a restaurant but it is greatthumbsup.gif

How about this Yam plahmeuk. Food at the farm has restaurant qualities. Appreciating this wil ease surviving at the farm.

post-70928-0-30092900-1356196183_thumb.j

• Like 1

That photo was taken at a restaurant was it not?

This is being made and prepared at home as well. There is always a lot of effort being put into presenting the meals on the table at the farm. This is always a very relaxed moment when i help out making the table. Many things have to be considered while doing this. For instance food from yesterday will be tested and tasted before being presented. Preparation is the same as in any other small restaurant:

post-70928-0-59512700-1356196324_thumb.j

Food at the farm is perhaps not excactly presented in the same way as in a restaurant but it is greatthumbsup.gif

How about this Yam plahmeuk. Food at the farm has restaurant qualities. Appreciating this wil ease surviving at the farm.

post-70928-0-30092900-1356196183_thumb.j

Where are the white linen napkins and tablecloth? biggrin.png

It looks nice. Much nicer than some pictures I see of people sitting in the wooden floor around what appears to be a mess. biggrin.png

Guess some people are more comfortable with the floor. You are right; tables at the farm are usually used to put things on and leave it there so everyone has to resort to eating on the floor. A table can also be considered a dining table and kept clear all the time i suppose.

• Like 1

I eat Thai food every single day but I also like to have bread occasionally. It also helps when you have three kids under the age of 7 to have a loaf around to keep them happy.

• Like 2

You are welcome to have 3 children under the age of 7 around. I'm glad to hear they are happy. And yes they love bread and around here they would also get an occasional PBJ.

I'm too old for all but the PBJ part, and using the fixed part which could at one time cause children. :)