How Do I Survive Living At The Farm ... Tips And Tricks Please!

David48

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

I have followed this post from the start and am curious to hear Davids summary of his time on the farm.

Come on David,if you are back home now....share your thoughts (if you survived).

Shaggy

Bet hes glad he stayed away from the hotels.

Unless its like me and my wife and we need that peace and quiet for "special cuddles" timewub.pngwub.png

Who wants daily bread at the farm when you can eat this:

post-70928-0-79358600-1356121962_thumb.j

That photo was taken at a restaurant was it not?

This is being made and prepared at home as well. There is always a lot of effort being put into presenting the meals on the table at the farm. This is always a very relaxed moment when i help out making the table. Many things have to be considered while doing this. For instance food from yesterday will be tested and tasted before being presented. Preparation is the same as in any other small restaurant:

post-70928-0-59512700-1356196324_thumb.j

Food at the farm is perhaps not excactly presented in the same way as in a restaurant but it is greatthumbsup.gif

How about this Yam plahmeuk. Food at the farm has restaurant qualities. Appreciating this wil ease surviving at the farm.

post-70928-0-30092900-1356196183_thumb.j

Sap illi derrrrrr!!!!

1. Have your brother in law install a European Toilet and a water heater as it shouldnt cost more than 6 or 7,000 Baht

2. Get with Truevision and get Satellite TV for English Channels its about 2000 Baht a month with HBO etc..

3. Find your nearest tesco so you can shop yourself for what you want or need.

1 In my house we have 2 western style toilet/shower rooms, both with hot water heater showers which my wife and son appreciate in this cool weather, plus another set in the small house hwere my MIL lives.

2. I am not interested in TV as I have a computer, DVDs and a library of some 400 books which I swap around with friends.

3. My nearestTesco, Big C, Makro is about 65km away and I stock up there once a month.

It IS nice living out in the sticks with little pollution, virtually no traffic jams apart from market days and then only for a couple of minutes and good friendly Thai people who are starting to understand my mangled Thai.

• Like 1

1. Have your brother in law install a European Toilet and a water heater as it shouldnt cost more than 6 or 7,000 Baht

2. Get with Truevision and get Satellite TV for English Channels its about 2000 Baht a month with HBO etc..

1 In my house we have 2 western style toilet/shower rooms, both with hot water heater showers which my wife and son appreciate in this cool weather, plus another set in the small house hwere my MIL lives.

2. I am not interested in TV as I have a computer, DVDs and a library of some 400 books which I swap around with friends.

3. My nearestTesco, Big C, Makro is about 65km away and I stock up there once a month.

It IS nice living out in the sticks with little pollution, virtually no traffic jams apart from market days and then only for a couple of minutes and good friendly Thai people who are starting to understand my mangled Thai.

Thats my idea of living! Stress free country life. The more my wife lives in the city with me the more she misses the village which is good.

Thats my idea of living! Stress free country life. The more my wife lives in the city with me the more she misses the village which is good.

I has worked for me mostly for 8 years now.

The thing I find the hardest is trying to explain to my wife and friends how to keep Thailand tidy starting here.

I have no problem with the kids as they have been btung up proper like by big Daddy.

Adults are another species altogether.

Just a little story on village life and being able to live.

Some years ago a Brit arrived in our village, 5 stilt huts up. He arrived at 4 pm rented car and driver, car and driver left. Next day car and driver are back at 11 am.

His thoughts on village life, how can anyone live in this hell hole.

He came back 7 or 8 days ago. Thai wife of course, both live in the UK and he is on a good wicket, off shore self employed oil worker, pumps I think. all over the world.

This time he brings an air mattress, MIL has electricity now, fridge etc. His wife has got an uncle to start building a small house on some of MILs land in the village, plus she [ him ] bought some land and planted rubber early last year.

Have had a few beers with him, taken him around a few places etc. Today we went for a walk into the big green to look at his trees. 1 and 1/2, 2 hours walk.

As you walk you talk, ask him when they are leaving. The hell hole has now become. Unfortunately we have to go on Monday, find that he has been out cutting branches off his trees for a few days. He then tells me he maybe able to come back for 2 months later in the year and do I know of anyone selling land with rubber already planted.

That's a 7 day change, if he comes for 2 months he will never be going back.

Should add no kids or ex wives back home. Jim

• Like 2

I have followed this post from the start and am curious to hear Davids summary of his time on the farm.

Come on David,if you are back home now....share your thoughts (if you survived).

Shaggy

Indeed I will will reveal all ... just so many images to reformat, videos to upload into the YouTube format.

I'll post the link here to the new thread.

... and the warmest of thanks for those who have contributed either with tips or posts.

Those photos of roasted birds, freshly baked bread were tempting licklips.gif as I was chowing down on rice with fried egg ... rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Depending on the level of dwelling you're staying in, don't be surprised to find mouse turds in bed, giant lizards on the ceiling, gecko turds dropping on the table, having to wear your clothes to bed in winter...and hope you like getting up early because the poo yai will be saying 'good morning' bright and early. Quite lovely when nursing a hangover...

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect App

I agree with all the above apart from the mouse droppings in the bed. I reckon as long as you are not a slob (like the above poster it seems) there will be no mice near the bed.

totster smile.png

Sorry totster. Not a slob. Never eat in bed. Might have something to do with the classic Thai style wood frame construction. No insulation. Air ventilated. What's with the personal attack? Never encountered mice on the farm? I hear the large ones are tasty with. Lao Kao.

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect App

We don't have mice or rats on our farm, the snakes ate them all!

• Like 2

... but how did you cope with the food served when you first went there?

... but also want to some palatable food.

Best ever was when I went to Tescos in Chumphae near our place, and bought the ingredients for spaghetti bolognese. They loved it bigtime. Even mil was raving about it! Then served em up panckes! loved em.

When you have a second krisb, if you had a simple plan for that spaghetti bolognese ... licklips.gif

I can cook a bit ... no Honey ... despite the rumour you spread ... I don't burn water ... dry.png

Also I know that you have to modify all recipes for locally available ingredients and local tastes.

So feel free to post it here ... together with instructions on how to cook.

I've read elsewhere that Thais love it ...

Anyone else with recipe ideas (for spag bol or anything else) ... you are welcome ... welcomeani.gif

here is my own recipe, I usually make a batch of the pomodoro sauce & keep in the fridge to add to a tin of tuna or served alone with pasta & a bit of grated cheese, it can be made spicy by adding dried chilli or chilli powder to it.

One large onion finely chopped

3 cloves of garlic smashed & chopped

One tin of chopped tomato

100mls made up chicken stock

either one tin of baby carrots or 2 large carrots thinly chopped (I prefer tinned carrots)

500g minced beef or pork (some thai wont eat beef so this can be made with pork, chicken or turkey mince)

1tbsp oil

fresh basil

Marjoram herbs

To make the pomodoro sauce ;

Fry onion & garlic in a little oil till soft (do not burn)

Add carrots, tinned tomatoes, stock, salt & pepper to taste & simmer for 30 minutes till carrots are soft,

Add fresh basil, marjoram & more salt & pepper to taste & simmer for another 10 minutes.

Depending on how you like the sauce either mash the carrots or use a hand blender to make a smoother sauce.

Brown some beef, pork or turkey mince & another small onion then add some of the sauce & serve.

• Like 1