Restricted Hours For Liquor Sale

dustbunny

I have several times been unable to purchase wine and beer (don't know about hard liquor) in grocery stores like Macro, Tesco and Big C between the hours of 2:00 PM and 5:00 PM, which is a big inconvenience as I usually shop in the afternoon. Does anyone know why sale of alcohol is not allowed during this 3 hour period? I also have been told that alcohol is not sold before 11:00 AM, but I've never tried to purchase it before 11:00 AM, so I am not positive about this time restriction. I live in Krabi province. Curious to know why. wink.pngbiggrin.png Thanks

You can buy at any time if you get 'wholesale' quantities, not sure of the exact amounts, but two slabs of beer is more than enough.

IIRC It's supposedly to stop kids drinking on the way home from school.

From one of the old topics:

According to the Alcohol Beverage Control Act B.E.2551 (2008 A.D.), under section 28 it states that: “Sale of alcohol beverage is prohibited on the date or time announced by the Minister with consent of the Committee. In this regard, such announcement may indicate conditions and restrictions as deemed necessary.

The provision in Paragraph 1 above shall not apply to sale of alcohol beverage by manufacturer, importers or agents to the sellers authorized by the law governing liquor.

Such act were based on the Announcement Number 253 (dated November 16, B.E. 2515) (1973 A.D.) made by the Council for National Security.

The recent announcement identified eligible hours for retail sales of alcoholic beverages to be between 11.00a.m. to 02.00p.m. and between 05.00p.m. to 00.00a.m.

From this interpretation, only for Liquor Store Wholesalers would be eligible to sell (that is no less than 10 litres per transaction). If less than this, such shall be considered as retailing and a violation of the law. This includes sales of alcohol at a restaurant.

Exceptions were made for Hotel Businesses, airports, train stations, Terminal bus stations, piers (but they must obtain prior approval which can be made at the Local Police Station which is then to be forwarded to Commissioner of the National Police Office). There is no general exception for a restaurant just because they sell food with their alcoholic beverages as is often stated but not so under the actual law.

A couple of times I've been as dry as the bottom of a cocky's cage and all I wanted was a beer, just one, to have slowly under the aircon .. but being dopey, I had forgotten about the time restrictions and the local 7/11 said no.

I think what pisses me off is the crass stupidity of it ... I mean ... lets not let kids drink one or two but buy in bulk is fine... <deleted>.....but the law is an ass in most countries eh?

A couple of times I've been as dry as the bottom of a cocky's cage and all I wanted was a beer, just one, to have slowly under the aircon .. but being dopey, I had forgotten about the time restrictions and the local 7/11 said no.

I think what pisses me off is the crass stupidity of it ... I mean ... lets not let kids drink one or two but buy in bulk is fine... <deleted>.....but the law is an ass in most countries eh?

I think we have to protect the Thais form all sorts of things like loan sharks and evil people who sell booze and things like that.smile.png

• Like 1

I honestly don't see what the curfuffle is.......it is clearly advertised about the sale times....can you read the time????

TiT....get over it.

I honestly don't see what the curfuffle is.......it is clearly advertised about the sale times....can you read the time????

TiT....get over it.

This is a problem for hard core alcoholics! Have a heart.wai2.gif You know man they drink so much like they forget what time it is and then where are you? You have to walk from the 7/11 to a mom and pop shop early in the morning.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

I can't believe this is an issue, reminds me of everyone getting freaked out when the Thais don't sell alcohol on important holidays.

It's booze guys, not your diabetes meds.

And once you know the reality here just adapt to it here. It's a great feeling when you stop beating your head against that wall believe it.

You are of course correct John, my partner and I do a monthly shop and buy all our non perishable goods, including washing powder, wine and beer at that shop. Neither of us are big drinkers so we don't need to buy ten litres of any alcohol for the month, as a result we have to shop after 11.00 and before 17.00.

No big deal and yes we live with it, but I fail to understand the reasoning, not sure how many school kids are prevented from buying a bottle of wine on a Sunday afternoon.

This is a problem for hard core alcoholics! Have a heart.wai2.gif You know man they drink so much like they forget what time it is and then where are you? You have to walk from the 7/11 to a mom and pop shop early in the morning.

I've tried to be a hard core alcoholic....but I thspill mooore thaan iii dwwink annn i caaann't gettt tooo thaaaat staaaage......hic!

TiT....get over it.

The OP asked the reasoning, not the times.

Honestly......is there anything in Thailand that has logical reasoning?

• Like 2

TiT....get over it.

TiT....get over it.

That's right CMK. Anyway, any alcho worth his salt knows he has to buy three hours worth at 1:59 to keep him going until he's back on the stool at 5:00. That's what fridges are for.

Just walk from the 7/11 a few doors down to a small mom & pop shop. They'll sell to you, no problem.

The one thing that does irritate me though is wine, because nobody except the larger stores carry it. So if you're out grocery shopping at 3pm, and wanted to pickup a bottle for dinner, or if you wanted to make some nice red wine sauce for steak, you're SOL. I don't really get it. Do they think I'm going to rush out of the grocery store, open the bottle of wine, and start chugging or something? If I'm picking up say 2000 baht worth of groceries, I should be able to grab a bottle of wine.

Edited by cdnmatt

Just walk from the 7/11 a few doors down to a small mom & pop shop. They'll sell to you, no problem.

The one thing that does irritate me though is wine, because nobody except the larger stores carry it. So if you're out grocery shopping at 3pm, and wanted to pickup a bottle for dinner, or if you wanted to make some nice red wine sauce for steak, you're SOL. I don't really get it. Do they think I'm going to rush out of the grocery store, open the bottle of wine, and start chugging or something? If I'm picking up say 2000 baht worth of groceries, I should be able to grab a bottle of wine.

Buy a case and not worry about what to drink with dinner for a couple of days. If you can afford 2000 baht worth of groceries you can afford a case of wine. smile.png

My daughter likes to say: Thais just like to make things difficult for you. I guess she's right in this case.

Just buy it from some mom and pa shops. They will sell.

yes they certainly do.

Villa markets and foodland serve booze all day, it's NOT a law and nobody has ever been prosecuted for selling 'out of hours' it is an utter nonsense and has no effect as there is always somewhere selling

Ridiculous post.

I have yet to see a Villa or a Foodland which does not adhere to the same 11.00-14.00 & 17.00-24.00 restrictions.

You've made that up.

Villa markets and foodland serve booze all day, it's NOT a law and nobody has ever been prosecuted for selling 'out of hours' it is an utter nonsense and has no effect as there is always somewhere selling

you talk complete and utter crap. Foodland very much adheres to the law that prohibits the sale of alcohol.

To the OP, find your local distributor and get there phone number, mine delivers a slab anytime I need one.

• Like 1

I have yet to see a Villa or a Foodland which does not adhere to the same 11.00-14.00 & 17.00-24.00 restrictions.

You've made that up.

I'm sorry SVB, but I don't think he has.

I was in Foodland on Sukhumvit 16 a couple of weeks ago buying something for dinner, I had a bottle of wine in the basket and looked at my watch, saw it was after 14.00 and went to put it back, I was told that I could buy it as it wasn't really an issue, so I did.

I cannot speak for Villa but I was near a Wine Connection recently, it was open so I popped my head and asked if I could buy of wine, I was told that I could. I did ask the lass about the rule and she said it didn't really apply to "farangs", so again I purchased a couple of bottles.

I don't suppose these instances are company policy, especially the remark about the "farangs", but it does indicate to me that the rules are not consistently applied.