New Mitsubishi Mirage 2012 Road Noise.

undercover

Today I went for a test drive in the new Mitsubishi Mirage, the one I drove was the top model with the CVT automatic gearbox, I was happy to find that they have sorted out the problems CVT have with rolling back on hills, this one did not roll back at all and would even creep along if you released pressure on the brake just like a (REAL) automatic from back in the day smile.png

However the smile was soon to disappear from my face once we got onto the highway, I have been used to the road noise of a Honda Jazz in the past and always related the drone to sitting in economy class on a jet, but this new Mirage is even worse sad.png

By what the sales girl said I am not the first to comment on this excessive road noise, she said changing the tyres for another make might reduce the noise but I remember doing that with the Jazz and it made no difference.

It could be said the Mirage is a cheap car and I agree with that but I still feel the road noise is excessive compared to lets say a Mazda 2 that is very quiet with little to no road noise.

Most of these cars are using "eco tyres" that have low rolling resistance. Putting on sporty or wider tyres will just increase road noise I think. Perhaps some more insulation could be put in to dampen noise. I test drove the suzuki swift, which I ordered, and found road noise tolerable (noting it had 185 tyres and 16 inch wheels). I could probably quieten it more going back to 15". Not sure what you can do with the mirage tyres though.

To be honest I did not make a note of what tyres were fitted I just took a quick look and thought to myself the tread pattern does not look aggressive so maybe not a lot I could do there ? it is quite possible that as transam says the pressure was 50 psi + so that may well have contributed to the road noise ? I have not heard of eco tyres until now smile.png

To be honest I did not make a note of what tyres were fitted I just took a quick look and thought to myself the tread pattern does not look aggressive so maybe not a lot I could do there ? it is quite possible that as transam says the pressure was 50 psi + so that may well have contributed to the road noise ? I have not heard of eco tyres until now smile.png

If over inflated the tyres become bricks. Just my thoughts. smile.png

Thanks for the comments everyone smile.png Another thing I found out today is that a full leather seat option is available in a Mitsubishi dealer in Korat, the seats come direct from the Mitsubishi factory and are genuine Mitsubishi. and yet I have asked Mitsubishi dealers from Chonburi down to Rayong if leather seats are an option and have been told at all dealers that they are not ?

Does anybody on here have a Mitsubishi Mirage with leather seats from Mitsubishi ?

Another thing I found out today is that a full leather seat option is available in a Mitsubishi dealer in Korat, the seats come direct from the Mitsubishi factory and are genuine Mitsubishi.

The dealer told you the seats come from Mitsubishi and are genuine Mitsubishi?

Changing tires are only short term solutions.

When the tires wear off, the noise will increase again.

If you have the cash, go to a pro shop and install sound proof materials.

I did it to a old civic back in the States and it drove as quiet as a new M-Benz!

Yes, that's probably the only solution - you may well have been the world's first sound-proofed-Civic owner! I can't imagine anyone buying a Mirage has the cash to sound-proof, it's probably 30k - the majority of Mirage owners in Thailand are probably paying that as the downpayment. It's funny to think that someone might do that, though.

I have asked Mitsubishi dealers from Chonburi down to Rayong ...

HI

Little bit off topic, but you were told to wait how many months to get your Mirage ? (in case you would buy one .. )

Ph.

The time scale quoted was form 4 months - 45 days followed by a not sure ? I think its safe to say the sales staff have no idea. sad.png

Another thing I found out today is that a full leather seat option is available in a Mitsubishi dealer in Korat, the seats come direct from the Mitsubishi factory and are genuine Mitsubishi.

Yes might sound a bit strange but that is correct, these days in Mitsubishi's attempt to cut prices, to the extent of not even spraying under the hood many parts come from outside the Mitsubishi factory so I wanted to confirm that these seats do in fact come from their own factory

Yes might sound a bit strange but that is correct, these days in Mitsubishi's attempt to cut prices, to the extent of not even spraying under the hood many parts come from outside the Mitsubishi factory so I wanted to confirm that these seats do in fact come from their own factory

personally i wouldn't believe a dealer unless i had it in writing from Mitsubishi.....but thats me.

Sounds dubious. I'd put money on the fact that the leather is something the dealer is organizing themselves pre-delivery. The easiest way to check whether or not they are genuine is to ask for a part number.. If you can get that, you can buy the 'leather' chairs you want from any old dealer.. ;)

Sounds dubious. I'd put money on the fact that the leather is something the dealer is organizing themselves pre-delivery. The easiest way to check whether or not they are genuine is to ask for a part number.. If you can get that, you can buy the 'leather' chairs you want from any old dealer.. wink.png

Yes, I have the same feeling. And with all dealers in Pattaya saying 'not possible', I really feel these will not be genuine parts.

I wonder if the kind of soundproofing used on cars with bit in-car entertainment systems would work, or is it a different kind of sound proofing. One keeps sound in, one keeps it out...so I'm not sure if it would work.

Yes there's a lot of cost cutting - I really hate when they don't properly spray under the hood of the car. That's one thing I like about the swift, as it has a proper spray under there. maybe you can but a tin of the same colour spray and do it yourself:)

My wife got the GLS Ltd 2 weeks ago. The tyres are Dunlop Enasave EC300 and are inflated cold to 35 Psi. I have driven the car and not found excessive road noise, in fact I hardly notice it. I was going to regard he car as a runaround for her shopping trips, picking my son up from school etc. I did not expect any sort of performance from it, as being sold as an ECO car with 3 cylinders. However I'm quite quite impressed with it's acceleration and top speed for such a small car. In fact I prefer driving it to my Chevie. The GLS LTD also comes with DVD and Satnav. When she ordered it she was originall was quoted 2 months, but this streched out to closer to 5 months. Our local dealer is telling new customers 4-6 months. For some reason the colour makes a differnce to the deliverys time, with green and yellow being available much quicker and for another unknown reason white ones are more expensive. Although Mitsu show it can be run on a range of fuels one of the mechanics suggested it was better to stick with 91 petrol.

We just got our Mirage last week an so far have driven only 450km, I did find that from the dealer the tires had 50 to 55 psi instead of the recommended 35psi.

I do not find the road noise that excessive considering it is an entry level car.

We were told by our dealer we would get one in 3 months and it took a couple of weeks longer to get ours which was not that bad.

On the whole i am very happy with it and have had no problems we got 17kpl on the first tankful which was all stop and start city driving and it only cost 850baht to fill the tank compared to 1500baht for our civic.

I wonder if the kind of soundproofing used on cars with bit in-car entertainment systems would work, or is it a different kind of sound proofing. One keeps sound in, one keeps it out...so I'm not sure if it would work.

Yes there's a lot of cost cutting - I really hate when they don't properly spray under the hood of the car. That's one thing I like about the swift, as it has a proper spray under there. maybe you can but a tin of the same colour spray and do it yourself:)

Yes - I think the lack of spraying must be a cost cutting thing bah.gif

screenshot20121101at813.png

screenshot20121102at120.png

What annoys me with Mitsubishi is that it is not just entry level cars that they are not spraying properly, a couple of years ago I bought the Top Model Triton 3.2, full leather interior electric sliding rear window, many nice features but that was only sprayed the same as the Mirage, nothing under the hood or underneath, the paint was so thin I polished through to the primer on the front wing !

What annoys me with Mitsubishi is that it is not just entry level cars that they are not spraying properly, a couple of years ago I bought the Top Model Triton 3.2, full leather interior electric sliding rear window, many nice features but that was only sprayed the same as the Mirage, nothing under the hood or underneath, the paint was so thin I polished through to the primer on the front wing !

It was the same with the Toyota Tiger,as far as 9 years ago...not really a big deal,I guess..wink.png ...that was still the best truck,that Toyota made till now...tongue.png (Vigo bah.gif )...laugh.png

Changing tires are only short term solutions.

When the tires wear off, the noise will increase again.

If you have the cash, go to a pro shop and install sound proof materials.

I did it to a old civic back in the States and it drove as quiet as a new M-Benz!

Yes, that's probably the only solution - you may well have been the world's first sound-proofed-Civic owner! I can't imagine anyone buying a Mirage has the cash to sound-proof, it's probably 30k - the majority of Mirage owners in Thailand are probably paying that as the downpayment. It's funny to think that someone might do that, though.

Ahh... the good old days when I had a ton of time and a friend who ran a auto shop.

True, it's quite pricey to do it in Thailand.

But if OP does a lot of long distance driving, the increased comfort in the cabin will be well worth it, compared to buying a euro import vehicle.

But for select sound proof of 4 doors and 4 wheel wells, it should cost much lower.

And is still the better option, compared with replacing tires.

• 1 month later...

I,ve just ordered the glx cvt , drove both on the super highway,CM..., manual is very punchy, nice engine thrum , but , gearshift not too good though on test drive car ........the cvt ,I must say I really didn,t notice a lot of difference .in power......especially if you put it in the Sport mode ....., it felt fine to me . Tyre noise ,wind noise .....really not an issue .....only took it to a little over a hundred,, it felt willing .to do more ........... Mitsubishi staff good there , unlike Zuzuki swift , and delivery in a month or less .(Swift 1 year ) ..for white colour ...............1 years insurance , free labour for 11 services , 3 year warranty or 100,000 k ..........465k Look forward to picking it up

I,ve just ordered the glx cvt , drove both on the super highway,CM..., manual is very punchy, nice engine thrum , but , gearshift not too good though on test drive car ........the cvt ,I must say I really didn,t notice a lot of difference .in power......especially if you put it in the Sport mode ....., it felt fine to me . Tyre noise ,wind noise .....really not an issue .....only took it to a little over a hundred,, it felt willing .to do more ........... Mitsubishi staff good there , unlike Zuzuki swift , and delivery in a month or less .(Swift 1 year ) ..for white colour ...............1 years insurance , free labour for 11 services , 3 year warranty or 100,000 k ..........465k Look forward to picking it up

My tip for you make sure you have given the car a good test drive. especially in relation to the seats.. which i find awful on mine far to soft and the lumbar bump is to big.. my suggestion is take it on a longer run... Mind you it IS the only thing that i dont like now... the rest of the car is excellent.. But the seats are a joke. Especially compared to other cars