Tiger Motorcycles Pride Of Thailand

Tiger Motorcycles the pride of Thailand ! These bikes are built with the best of parts and the service is second to none. . If you want a dependable bike , look elsewhere . These bikes are prone to breaking down and the problems never seem to be resolved . Faulty light switches , replaced 4 times with the same. Owned the bike for 2 years and put aproxematly 8000kms . The bike has spent over 5 months in Tiger service and is there at the moment, no idea of when it will be repaired or returned . I wonder what ever happened to M-Box the Poster of the Boxer 250 that claimed to have put over 25,000kms on his bike with no problems. I would have to claim bullshit on that one, unless it was on the back of a truck heading back and forth to the service centre.

I may have a Tiger for sell if I ever get it back! . Warning!!! If you want a bike that is reliable , do not buy a Tiger.. Stick to Yamaha , Honda, Kawasaki, Lifan where they actually have replacement parts available. Have you ever met a happy Tiger owner or heard of one please post your replies.

Lets here from all those satisfied customers.

Op.. did you buy it new? Which model? Also if it's just things like light switches why not just replace with Honda or other big 4 parts?

spent 5 months at Tiger or been back 5 times?

Mbox.. did indeed put that mileage on his bike and Charlie another owner put on over 100,000 km's.

They do suffer from poor Build QC.. regrettably. But they were a lot cheaper than equivalent bikes.. There is always a reason for that..At least in general there is.

Guzzi... you bought a Retro style bike.. The front brakes with the leading link forks on the Cub's certainly take getting used to.. i didn't like it that's why i decided not to buy one for the Gf.

You test rode it before purchase if i remember correctly. But still bought it!

Edited by thaicbr

No, no test ride of the Tiger Retro/w side car before purchasing.

Yes build quality is not good, one time they spilled gasoline around the tank at a gasoline station (under the seat) and I could not remove the ugly brown stains on the paint.

Well I fell it's shame too that they can't improve the quality, I asked a Tiger dealer here Pattaya if they want to buy it when I decided to sell it and they were not interested at all, he-he. I eventually sold it private here in Thaivisa classified and for a relatively good price too (32 k bath).

I hardly ever see a Tiger MC here in Pattaya anymore, a few Retro's or they might be the Chinese Cup copies.

I'm interested to know which Tiger model you have and when did you bought it?

Richard.. i wondered when you would turn up tongue.png

Me.., I haven't got a Tiger bike. nearly bought one (actually 2) but after test riding the Tiger 250 and the Retro decided not to. The 250 rs was a good bike for the money but i wanted more power and a fairing.. The Retro i didn't like the front brake.. but that's why its a retro.

I have a Honda Cbr250 (which i love) but it is substantially more expensive than the Tiger 250rs.

Edited by thaicbr

No, no test ride of the Tiger Retro/w side car before purchasing.

Yes build quality is not good, one time they spilled gasoline around the tank at a gasoline station (under the seat) and I could not remove the ugly brown stains on the paint.

Well I fell it's shame too that they can't improve the quality, I asked a Tiger dealer here Pattaya if they want to buy it when I decided to sell it and they were not interested at all, he-he. I eventually sold it private here in Thaivisa classified and for a relatively good price too (32 k bath).

I hardly ever see a Tiger MC here in Pattaya anymore, a few Retro's or they might be the Chinese Cup copies.

oH OK.. My mistake... Sorry.

for some reason i thought that you went to the Tiger open day!

> misterkeeperofthereef wrote:

> Stick to Yamaha , Honda, Kawasaki, Lifan where they actually have replacement parts available.

Yes, thats indeed a true weak point with the Tiger Boxer 250. They used many different parts. And if you need replacement you have to offer pictures of the faulty part so they can identify it and look for "something that fits". The parts catalog is useless. And some spare parts have a very poor fitting and poor quality so they are useless and i decided to not replace the broken parts laugh.png

Oh, i am a happy former Tiger owner. Do yourself a favor and gain happiness too. Some Boxer 250 seem to be OK, the others are lemons. We just had bad luck biggrin.png

Some years ago I already announced that Tiger didn't manufactured its own engines, that time I was confronted with lots of negative comments “like we visited the factory and we saw” etc etc... the truth was that Tiger motorcycle was assembling Zongshen engines for a long time... not making...

I have to say that nothing is wrong with Zongshen engines, they make Harley-Davidson engines and some other major companies... the problem is that engine parts of popular Zongshen engines are copied by 3th party manufactures and sold much cheaper... Lots of top Chinese manufactures have this problem.... But, back to Tiger Motorcycles, Tiger contacted a company which was able to supply much of the engine parts needed for the engine of the Sachs X-Road 250 and as bonus they also could offer almost all parts needed to make the engine for the Tiger Boxer 250RS... We talking here about a major reduction of the cost so Tiger bought parts from that Chinese manufacturing company (which has no links to or is authorized to make Zongshen engine parts)... When using the new part from the new supplier the quality of the well know Tiger Boxer 250 RS engine was gone...

Yes, early Tiger Boxer 250 RS motorcycles were able to do huge kilometers, like Charlie and Mbox and a few others reported... but after the new parts from factory-X everything turned to bad... and Tiger eventually stopped making them...

But nothing is lost you can still buy original Zongshen parts from Zongshen Thailand, they not have all parts on stock but they are seeing the benefits to start stocking Tiger Boxer parts and sell them. I bought some engine parts for my brother in law who still does his daily commuting on the Tiger Boxer 250 RS I once owned … and the parts arrived within 14 days... (imported from China... in orignal Zhongshen package)

I have a Tiger Retro and sidecar, which I've had for two years and which I'm very happy with.

Quality control as delivered from the factory and build quality was appalling - the front forks weren't assembled properly, bolts were loose, numerous electrical faults, unroadworthy/dangerous brakes, etc. After a few days of checking it over myself, doing a few simple brake mods (detailed at length on the Tiger/Sachs Forum), etc, all the problems were resolved and for the money (50,000 baht) it is now a really enjoyable, fun, safe (and practical) bike. It should never have been delivered in the state it was, and no decent dealer would have done so - unfortunately Tiger seem to prefer delivering/selling their bikes themselves (I can understand why most potential dealers would not be interested!) and their lack of quality control means that their reputation is going from bad to worse.

There are an increasing number of Honda Cub copies around, but 99% of those I've seen in Chonburi/Rayong/Pattaya/Sattahip are made by Ryuka who have cornered what should have been Tiger's market.

I am a happy Tiger owner, and one who's very happy with his particular Tiger bike and sidecar, but I have to admit that that doesn't mean that I'd recommend everyone to buy one or that I'm particularly happy with Tiger!

I have a Boxer 250 and on the whole am happy with it. It has its problems but these things can be resolved.

The PDK rear shocks are dreadful, on my 3rd set under warranty, will replace with YSS once the warranty expires. The gearbox has issues, though mine has just been rebuilt (under warranty) and feels considerably better. Lots of little things like the rear light bracket breaking but with patience, all can be solved.

I feel like the bike is mine, unique, a part of me as I know its faults and love it when its running well. With a CBR, it would just be another CBR, not 'my bike on the same way.

If someone wants a bike without issues, its not a bike for them. But as something different its great. I hope mine is still going in 10 years.

The bike is a 250 Boxer and here are a few of the problems that I have come across so far.

Replaced rear brake pads at 2000 kms , front caliper fell off at 2500kms , Replaced speedometer 2 times . Light switch 4 times, Replaced 3rd gear and clutch 4200km Replaced camshaft and oil pump at 5200 kms and had right front shock rebuilt due to leaking .. Replaced front hydrolic resevour -site glass fell out .,Took bike for a 40km ride and came back with a leg soaked in oil from leakage from head. Sent back to Tiger Bangkok for repair. Bike returned and put approimatly 2000kms on it .Replaced ignition switch 7500km Left front fork seal started to leak. 8000kms Motor seized took to sevice centre for repair . and shock seal replacement. That was almost 2 months ago , called on Friday and they said that it was ready but the engine was very noisy . I have just about had my fill of the bullshit and been without a bike over 4 months in the last 2 years without a loaner.

If you want a bike that is dependable I would strongly recomend Yamaha, Honda , Kawasaki were parts are available and higher Quality. If you want a conversation piece maybe you would be interested in a Tiger !!!!

dd

I had the Boxer ST200, which I bought as a 2year old second hand. Initially I had some minor problems, but once I sorted that out (by myself), the bike was really fund to ride and for the next 3 years ran without issues. Sold it to buy a bigger bike, but miss it often.

The bike is a 250 Boxer and here are a few of the problems that I have come across so far.

Replaced rear brake pads at 2000 kms , front caliper fell off at 2500kms , Replaced speedometer 2 times . Light switch 4 times, Replaced 3rd gear and clutch 4200km Replaced camshaft and oil pump at 5200 kms and had right front shock rebuilt due to leaking .. Replaced front hydrolic resevour -site glass fell out .,Took bike for a 40km ride and came back with a leg soaked in oil from leakage from head. Sent back to Tiger Bangkok for repair. Bike returned and put approimatly 2000kms on it .Replaced ignition switch 7500km Left front fork seal started to leak. 8000kms Motor seized took to sevice centre for repair . and shock seal replacement. That was almost 2 months ago , called on Friday and they said that it was ready but the engine was very noisy . I have just about had my fill of the bullshit and been without a bike over 4 months in the last 2 years without a loaner.

If you want a bike that is dependable I would strongly recomend Yamaha, Honda , Kawasaki were parts are available and higher Quality. If you want a conversation piece maybe you would be interested in a Tiger !!!!

dd

A lemon sad.png

Sell it and buy something else. Then you will be smiling again smile.png

dd

A lemon sad.png

A lemon is to put it very very mildly, misterkeeper had parts changed all over the bike, it's a complete disaster never heard anything so bad before.

Yes sell it and don't look back but you might get nightmares over it now and again.

dd

A lemon sad.png

A lemon is to put it very very mildly, misterkeeper had parts changed all over the bike, it's a complete disaster never heard anything so bad before.

Yes sell it and don't look back but you might get nightmares over it now and again.

OK, lets call it a "Tiger Boxer 250 lemon".

It has all the faults that the Boxer250 is well known for (speedometer, rear shocks, front fork, electric, brakes, ...) plus some serious engine problems (which not all Boxer250 have). The engine problems were the main reason why i sold mine.

Saw a report recently ( maybe Bangkok post ) that the Thai Police in some district were complaining about the very poor quality of their Tigers .

That's because they have never serviced them. When the original police contract came up Tiger wanted a service contract. The police decided each station would be in charge of servicing and they allocated a budget. But only in the 1st year. Its been 4-5 years now....

sent from my Q6

I have in my neighborhood a few police guys who have a Tiger Boxer 200, and I can only said that I'm very impressed in the quality of the Tiger Boxer 200. The way most police officers use the bike I'm surprised that they still work after 5 years.

For example one police officer who not lives far from my house parks his Tiger Boxer 200 in front of the house fully exposed to the rain and sun. Of course the Honda scooter he bought for the family and his Toyota VIOS is nice and dry (the car even has a dust cover for in the garage... but the government owned Tiger Boxer 200 has to face mother nature on a daily base, still the 200cc workhorse starts every morning and of to work he go's....

I think one of the mechanics downstair changed the engine oil once and renewed the brake fluid in the front brake. I'm not saying that he never changed the oil after that … I just don't know....

But this story about a Tiger Boxer 200 is not unique, and anybody who knows a police officer with a Boxer 200 will confirm that most police guys are not very good in giving the bike the service it needs...

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I would update . Still waiting for parts.. Surprise Surprise Surprise

What parts are you waiting for, I was told that Zongshen Thailand is now also offering parts for the engine. And the rumor is that the Platinum PX250 uses the same engine as the Tiger Boxer 250RS, so you probably can also use them as a source for parts...

What parts are you waiting for, I was told that Zongshen Thailand is now also offering parts for the engine. And the rumor is that the Platinum PX250 uses the same engine as the Tiger Boxer 250RS, so you probably can also use them as a source for parts...

What has Zongshen to do with the engine of the Tiger Boxer250?

Comparing pictures of different Tiger Boxer250 i noticed that there were different engines used to build the 250. Maybe the differences are only outside, a different casing. But who knows for sure? IMO these engines are cheap chinese noname engines. At least the engine of my Boxer250 was.

I've noticed a huge delay in parts deliveries the last month. An O-Ring took 8 days to arrive even with the magic of Pariya's involvement, Something else took a week. Not sure what is going on.

• 1 year later...