Motorcycle Training

kimamey

I was wondering if anyone could help me with some information or a link to any thread that deals with this as I haven't been able to find anything.

I'm 58 and I've only ever ridden a push bike and that was years ago. I also have a problem in that I've had an operation a few years back to remove a acoustic neuroma http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Acoustic-neuroma/Pages/Introduction.aspx. This has had an effect on my balance which of course could be a problem. I was thinking of getting a licence in the UK where I am at the moment but if it's not possible then I was wondering if there's any type of training available in Thailand. Unfortunately I'm in Mahasarakham which is a bit out of the way. I'm guessing this isn't going to be very easy.

I don't intend riding the length of the kingdom but just in the local area if I need to. I've tried just going slowly round our yard on a Scoopy i which I managed OK. The slow speed meant I could see how my balance was and I was surprised how good it was. I could probably manage to pass a test in Thailand fairly easily but I would like to have some idea what to do when something goes wrong. It's OK pottering along at 40 km/hr but if some idiot pulls in front of you it helps if you know what to do. I would think it's very similar to driving a car only a lot more painful if you get it wrong. I've been on the back of my gf's bike and to be honest there are times when she scares the crap out of me.

I'm sure I'm wasting my time writing this and I apologise for the time you've wasted reading it but I just thought I'd ask in case my favoured choice of learning in the UK before I return isn't possible. I've found my driving skills acquired whilst living in the UK have enabled me to avoid several accidents by driving defensively. Well most of the time.

Sorry about that, but get yourself better one of these:

13795533-bangkok--april-1--tiger-motorcycle-on-display-in-challenger-hall-impact-muangthong-thani-the-33rd-ba.jpg

Thailand is not really the place, to start driving a bike with almost 60!

Also i'm not sure, a 'full auto', like your 'testbike' is the best choice! The first mistake, peoples do in stress situations, is to open the throttle!

Edited by noob7

Hi kimamey,

Yes riding a MC in Thailand can be very hairrasing at times and the more skilled you are the better.

It would be best for you to try take the licence in the UK as it's include proper training which is far from the case in Thailand.

There is a place in BKK that have MC training courses, check this:

http://www.thaisafedriver.com/default.html

I also think Honda Thailand have courses for MC.

I seen some Westerners coming and retire here and they never been riding bikes before and they are living life dangerous and as

you said: it hurts if you crash (or worse).

I can't live without my bikes here (PCX & Fino), we use them all the time despite having a car as well, easy to get around and you

can park anywhere. In the car it's a nightmare to park (Pattaya) so the small bikes are very handy.

Good luck.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with some information or a link to any thread that deals with this as I haven't been able to find anything.

I'm 58 and I've only ever ridden a push bike and that was years ago. I also have a problem in that I've had an operation a few years back to remove a acoustic neuroma http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Acoustic-neuroma/Pages/Introduction.aspx. This has had an effect on my balance which of course could be a problem. I was thinking of getting a licence in the UK where I am at the moment but if it's not possible then I was wondering if there's any type of training available in Thailand. Unfortunately I'm in Mahasarakham which is a bit out of the way. I'm guessing this isn't going to be very easy.

I don't intend riding the length of the kingdom but just in the local area if I need to. I've tried just going slowly round our yard on a Scoopy i which I managed OK. The slow speed meant I could see how my balance was and I was surprised how good it was. I could probably manage to pass a test in Thailand fairly easily but I would like to have some idea what to do when something goes wrong. It's OK pottering along at 40 km/hr but if some idiot pulls in front of you it helps if you know what to do. I would think it's very similar to driving a car only a lot more painful if you get it wrong. I've been on the back of my gf's bike and to be honest there are times when she scares the crap out of me.

I'm sure I'm wasting my time writing this and I apologise for the time you've wasted reading it but I just thought I'd ask in case my favoured choice of learning in the UK before I return isn't possible. I've found my driving skills acquired whilst living in the UK have enabled me to avoid several accidents by driving defensively. Well most of the time.

Keep your speed down, 60kph max is fast enough for scooters in this country, 100kph is more than fast enough for bigger bikes, obviously if you are on a very clear urban road 120kph is okay and again it is fast enough here!! speed will eventually lead to an accident or worse!! Be aware of everything around you, in front of you and more importantly what's behind you. Safe driving!!

Yes, if you should even think about driving here,

get a scooter with gear but not clutch,

and bolt on a sidecar by all means.

But take note that braking with sidecar is both difficult and slow,

so keep a good distance to anything in front of you,

and at all times drive slower than otherwise seem appropriate

Thanks for the input. It pretty much confirms what I was thinking so I'll see what training I can get in the UK before I come out.

Thanks for the sidecar suggestion Noob7. I might give that a miss. I'm a bit worried it might give my gf ideas and I wouldn't want to spend my time selling ice cream would I? laugh.png

It actually reminded me that I've been scanning some photographic slides recently and I found these from March 1964.

post-69168-0-39002900-1352674800_thumb.j

post-69168-0-97242600-1352674835_thumb.j

My father used to ride a Matchless bike with a Watsonian sidecar. The sidecar was like this one.

post-69168-0-31198500-1352675066_thumb.j

Then he got the scooter which was a Triumph Tigress. I think it was the 4 stroke engine. I'm not sure it was all that successful and seem to remember it struggled in head winds when the car was attached. The sidecar was a Watsonian Bambini which was smaller than the previous one but I used to sit in it with my sister. We would have been about 9 and 6 at that time. The paint was odd as well as I think it was some early form of metallic which was very difficult to match. Anyway we enjoyed itat the time and the sidecar in particular attracted a lot of attention.

I hope the pictures come out OK.

OP, I really do fear for you riding a bike on Thai roads, especially with your circumstances. Thai roads / conditions / traffic / other drivers are a real challenge even to the youngest and fittest, not only in the big cities but also in the more rural areas.

If budget permits, why not think of getting a quad bike or something similar, where you are unlikely to lose your balance in the event of hard braking?

OP, I really do fear for you riding a bike on Thai roads, especially with your circumstances. Thai roads / conditions / traffic / other drivers are a real challenge even to the youngest and fittest, not only in the big cities but also in the more rural areas.

If budget permits, why not think of getting a quad bike or something similar, where you are unlikely to lose your balance in the event of hard braking?

Ever seen Quads with license and number plate? Please more details about them, please!

Ever seen Quads with license and number plate? Please more details about them, please!

Nope. Cannot register a Quad.

sent from my Q6

Nope. Cannot register a Quad.

sent from my Q6

That's, what I got told, too.whistling.gif

[quote name='kimamey' timestamp='1352675563' post='5835746

Nice photos.

-kimamey-

Quads and sidecar, motorcycles, are even more difficult to handle from other reasons than your inexperience and balance problems.

Just get some more experience, drive around at low speed first on roads with little traffic and give it time and many miles.

If you feel good, go for your driving license, check the Internet for books or Websites to support your learning

and practice time with some theoretical advice.

If you have no plan to drive big motorbikes of different kind, than,

the easiest is, you try to get one of the new Scooters with full automatic, no clutch, no gear, just concentrate on driving.

Learn breaking, very well, mostly with the front break as it delivers more than 75% of the break power.

Blocking the wheels during breaking, should be avoided. Training, training!

You could even step up after you are used to the small Scooters and get a 400+ ccm Big Scooter, which works in the same way, just a lot of more power!

But! Only if it works well with the small ones!thumbsup.gif

l_moto.gif

Have fun.

Edited by ALFREDO

[quote name='kimamey' timestamp='1352675563' post='5835746

Nice photos.

-kimamey-

Quads and sidecar, motorcycles, are even more difficult to handle from other reasons than your inexperience and balance problems.

Just get some more experience, drive around at low speed first on roads with little traffic and give it time and many miles.

If you feel good, go for your driving license, check the Internet for books or Websites to support your learning

and practice time with some theoretical advice.

If you have no plan to drive big motorbikes of different kind, than,

the easiest is, you try to get one of the new Scooters with full automatic, no clutch, no gear, just concentrate on driving.

Learn breaking, very well, mostly with the front break as it delivers more than 75% of the break power.

Blocking the wheels during breaking, should be avoided. Training, training!

You could even step up after you are used to the small Scooters and get a 400+ ccm Big Scooter, which works in the same way, just a lot of more power!

But! Only if it works well with the small ones!thumbsup.gif

l_moto.gif

Have fun.

Why do I think, that the small full automatic are the worst, for inexperienced drivers?

Ah, because I see them all the time, when, in stress, they try to brake, but in the same moment, they open the throttle!

And kissing sidewalks, walls, cars, before stopping.

A semi automatic, from the 2. gear up, is a better recommendation.

Dream or Wave, 125i, methinks

Edited by noob7

Why,

because, you have only to think from driving and breaking, not from clutch, changing gears up or down.

A Honda Dream style Motorcycle, same you like more, is not much different than the NEW FULL AUTOMATIC bikes,

you have no clutch and when she is in gear, lets they third gear, than you can drive slowly away and the whole day same the new scooters,

if there is no mountain!

Than you would have to change gear, problems arise, some engines "Starve" than on a small hill!

If the first gear is inside the DREAM and you hit the throttle she jumps away no different to the new ones. These bikes have also not the same Power Output than the new Scooters and are same agile.

The smallest children motorbikes are full automatic, mostly Moto Cross, only Gas and break they learn with full Automatic style, 3-6 year young.

Sure, same with Automatic cars,

if you have to or want to use Normal shifted gear cars or Motorbikes later,

after you learned driving in Automatic mode you have to learn it the right way again.

But, more easy, no gear!

What you saw with accidents and jumping Full Automatic scooters is happening, yes,

but, with mostly completely inexperienced drivers, who have similar problems with Half Automatic DREAMS

and could completely not drive with Gear and Clutch Motorbikes!

With Gear and Clutch engines, the Motorbikes would stall numerous times and no jump away accidents, same with the FULL AUTOMATIC versions.

But few could drive away in short time!

You cannot, also with the full automatic, just sit somebody who maybe never drove a Motorbike before,

or last time 20 year ago on a new Scooter in a Thai holiday and say, "here Gas here brake" no, drive!

That is what is done and the throttle response is very spontaneous on the new scooters.

Just give a bit advise and its very easy and learned fast.thumbsup.gif

Why,

because, you have only to think from driving and breaking, not from clutch, changing gears up or down.

A Honda Dream style Motorcycle, same you like more, is not much different than the NEW FULL AUTOMATIC bikes,

you have no clutch and when she is in gear, lets they third gear, than you can drive slowly away and the whole day same the new scooters,

if there is no mountain!

Than you would have to change gear, problems arise, some engines "Starve" than on a small hill!

If the first gear is inside the DREAM and you hit the throttle she jumps away no different to the new ones. These bikes have also not the same Power Output than the new Scooters and are same agile.

The smallest children motorbikes are full automatic, mostly Moto Cross, only Gas and break they learn with full Automatic style, 3-6 year young.

Sure, same with Automatic cars,

if you have to or want to use Normal shifted gear cars or Motorbikes later,

after you learned driving in Automatic mode you have to learn it the right way again.

But, more easy, no gear!

What you saw with accidents and jumping Full Automatic scooters is happening, yes,

but, with mostly completely inexperienced drivers, who have similar problems with Half Automatic DREAMS

and could completely not drive with Gear and Clutch Motorbikes!

With Gear and Clutch engines, the Motorbikes would stall numerous times and no jump away accidents, same with the FULL AUTOMATIC versions.

But few could drive away in short time!

You cannot, also with the full automatic, just sit somebody who maybe never drove a Motorbike before,

or last time 20 year ago on a new Scooter in a Thai holiday and say, "here Gas here brake" no, drive!

That is what is done and the throttle response is very spontaneous on the new scooters.

Just give a bit advise and its very easy and learned fast.thumbsup.gif

With a dream, you have the choice, never to use the 1 gear. Minimum as long, as you aren't doing it 'automatic'! Or even dont use the 2. gear, in the beginning, outside hill areas.

With a full automatic, you have always the full power on the engine, because of the rotation speed. It tries to accelerate and is more difficult, to beak, with open throttle, as a dream/wave in sec. gear. A dream/wave can't build up the rotation speed that quick!

And you can't compare a car automatic with a fully automatic transmission from a scooter

http://upload.wikime...oxRotRotVar.gif

GearBoxRotRotVar.gif

Only, if you hit the gas, instead the brake, it will accelerate like a scooter, too.

But the scooter 'problem' is the right hand: Gas and brake, both used, under stress. Will always create more trouble, as on a semi auto moto!

Edited by noob7

With a dream, you have the choice, never to use the 1 gear. Minimum as long, as you aren't doing it 'automatic'! Or even dont use the 2. gear, in the beginning, outside hill areas.

And you can't compare a car automatic with a fully automatic transmission from a scooter

But the

First paragraph:

I have a friend, who is a experienced Motorbike rider, not the fastest Sport Bike driver 1.000cc!, but ok.

He went, one of his first experiences in Phuket, with his rented Honda Dream

and his Thai GF pillion riding from Patong to Kata-Kata Noi, left up, steep the road south the coast

and to the famous 3 beaches Postcard photo Kata. Kata Noi, Karon Beaches view Point,

Two on the Moto, steep, I think 3 or 4th gear, no chance, fast he went down to first and than a wheele nearly ended our adventure there with a crash!

Eperienced Motorbike driver with at that time 135 HP Yamaha 1000 EXUP Motorbike and driving since a decade+.

If he had been riding a new Scooter style bike, throttle full and up the hill, no questions asked!

So up to you, what you prefer anyway.tongue.png

Second paragraph:

I had no intent to compare Full Automatic cars with full automatic 1 gear Scooters, I compared, that it is, "counterproductive" to learn driving on an Automatic, car or Motorbike, if you later want to drive gear and clutch cars or Motorbikes,

as it is much different driving style and you have a lot more to learn again, later!

Third paragraph:

You write ="scooter 'problem' is the right hand: Gas and brake, both used, under stress. Will always create more trouble, as on a semi auto moto!",

Yes, the new Scooter are agile, but,

The =Right Hand Gas and brake= is everywhere the same on the Moto bikes,nothing specific.

Is on a Semi Automatic, the Front brake and the throttle not on the right hand side?wink.png

Edited by ALFREDO

But the

First paragraph:

I have a friend, who is a experienced Motorbike rider, not the fastest Sport Bike driver 1.000cc!, but ok.

He went, one of his first experiences in Phuket, with his rented Honda Dream

and his Thai GF pillion riding from Patong to Kata-Kata Noi, left up, steep the road south the coast

and to the famous 3 beaches Postcard photo Kata. Kata Noi, Karon Beaches view Point,

Two on the Moto, steep, I think 3 or 4th gear, no chance, fast he went down to first and than a wheele nearly ended our adventure there with a crash!

Eperienced Motorbike driver with at that time 135 HP Yamaha 1000 EXUP Motorbike and driving since a decade+.

If he had been riding a new Scooter style bike, throttle full and up the hill, no questions asked!

So up to you, what you prefer anyway.tongue.png

Second paragraph:

I had no intent to compare Full Automatic cars with full automatic 1 gear Scooters, I compared, that it is, "counterproductive" to learn driving on an Automatic, car or Motorbike, if you later want to drive gear and clutch cars or Motorbikes,

as it is much different driving style and you have a lot more to learn again, later!

Third paragraph:

You write ="scooter 'problem' is the right hand: Gas and brake, both used, under stress. Will always create more trouble, as on a semi auto moto!",

Yes, the new Scooter are agile, but,

The =Right Hand Gas and brake= is everywhere the same on the Moto bikes,nothing specific.

Is on a Semi Automatic, the Front brake and the throttle not on the right hand side?wink.png

Up2you. If you don't wanna understand the difference between always 'agile' (you described it this way) and the option, not to use the 1 gear for 'every time, you start driving':

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink"

Edited by noob7

Calm down guys, the OP could learn to ride on either a scooter or a wave/Dream, they both have pluses and minuses. let's not scare the guy.

Personally I learned on a scooter and then moved to clutch. It was very easy to learn on a scooter. I know what noob7 is saying but I think once you've been riding a scooter for any decent length of time, that type of accident is rarely going to happen, and like Alfredo says, that type of accident could just as easily happen on a clutch bike.

Sorry, didn't realise that.

I will jump into the fray by saying, get an automatic, about 125, and that is all you will probably ever need. I was older than you, when I started bike riding here, and had NO experience on the wrong side of the road, so you have more of an advantage than me. Yes, if you are in places like Pattaya, you will need a bike, sure you can have a car too, but you probably wont find parking for it, and they also get in wrecks too! If you are a learner, then I dont think you need to make it harder on yourself, with learning to shift gears. Its not a "girly" thing here to have an automatic. Another thing is that Thailand has very special traffic problems, and is not the place to learn new tricks. You will have your hands full, just watching the other bikes, cars, trucks and push carts, no need to make things even harder, trying to figure out your shifting. This IS a very dangerous place to learn to drive.

I have been driving manual cars, vans, pick-ups all my life, and thought they were the only way to go, but then got my fathers automatic pick-up, when he couldnt drive anymore, and WOW, it was like paradise! No more shifting in traffic, just a relaxing way to drive. I have been lost in BKK twice, for four hours each time, and with my manual pick-up, my leg was already cramping up, and wasnt sure I would even make it out of the city. If your doing country driving, thats a bit different, but actually, almost anywhere in Thailand, its traffic, Lots of traffic, so you will be shifting all the time. If you have balance problems, then you have to decide to get a bike or not, but if you do, just get the auto, and you will be better off. NO, its not a REAL bike, like many say, but its the mode of transportation here. Three wheeler or side car bike? forget it! The just obstruct the traffic, and will probably get you killed!

• 3 weeks later...

I thought the replies to this had stopped so I was surprised to see so many more. Ive been a bit busy with work so I haven't looked at this for a while and I've not been able to find time to get training in the UK. I will have to do as has been suggested and just practice where it's quiet. I do know the owner of a Honda / Yamaha dealership so he might know of any training available.

The situation where someone opens the throttle whilst braking did occur to me as I did that myself briefly so I'm aware of the problem and I did think that could be an issue before I even got on a bike. This was on a Honda Scoopi i and we have a Wave as well which I haven't tried yet.

I will look on the rest of the forum as well but if anyone knows then it would help. If I want to practice on the road then I assume I will be breaking the law by not having a licence. I did stupidly ask my gf how Thais managed to do this and she told me what I should have known. By the time they're old enough to get a licence, assuming they bother, they've probably been riding for at least 3 years anyway.

Just in case anyone is still reading this thanks for all the replies.