Thailand Says Aims To Be Top Rice Exporter In 2013

webfact

"That means we could retain our position as the world's number-one exporter because our competitors, such as India and Vietnam, are expected to export around 7-8 million tonnes next year," said Pranee Siriphand, director general of the Ministry of Commerce's Department of Foreign Trade

There are three things that have not been taken into account when making this statement, first being that they will not be retaining the top position because they are now third!

The second and third is that they are obviously underestimating India and Vietnam, now that Thailands proposed output has been made public I would guess that India and Vietnam will be going all out to beat it?

The only way I see Thailand regaining top position is by massaging the figures and perhaps by a few white lies being told? OK I take it all back, yes Thailand will regain top position!whistling.gif

they are India and Vietnam,

Just wait till Burma enters the market again,then Thailand will drop

to 4th,

I wonder how much of this rice mountain will be left,when they do get

around to selling any,remember the warehouses full of empty lamyai

boxes in Chiang Mai,

regards Worgeordie

From the reuters article mentioned in the OP:

The policy pegged a common grade 5 percent white rice at $550-$560 per tonne, way above the same grades of rice in Vietnam and India, which were offered at $390-$455 per tonne.

Since begin of the year till now 5.07m ton exported. Somehow the MoC expects 7.2-7.5m ton over the total year. Must be a busy two months ahead of us.

With aiming at 8.5m ton next year, that's still a wee bit less than the 10.6m ton in 2011. Data on the export value to be able to make another comparison over the last years seems missing. The MoC is probably still writing the 'first year accomplishment' report on what his predecessor managed to do

Yes,, I saw the report on CNN it reached Portugal where i am right now until i travel, it said the same thing and if you read the Indian and Vietnamese papers they are saying the same thing (that they will be number 1) so eventually who will be the clear winner ?

Lets play devils advocate. What if the men behind the rice exporters association are some of the characters who were behind the last coup..payback may be sweet. Or what about if Thailand is trying to get to a position whereby it only wants to grow enough rice to feed itself thus freeing up labour to work in jobs created by ASEAN.

ASEAN will create jobs if the current power players are not allowed to intervene. Keeping millions of people alive on the previous pittance of rice prices is reprehensible. Thailand does not have to export rice if other opportunities are availble. Do your own research on the rice exporters and make your own conclusions.

On a tv program last year it stated that 2 rice exporters accounted for 60% of all rice exports. Lets see 60% of 7.5 million is 4.5 million tonnes. I dont know the margins but lets say $100 per tonne. Nearly half a billion between 2 families. Not bad if you can get it.

Lets play devils advocate. What if the men behind the rice exporters association are some of the characters who were behind the last coup..payback may be sweet. Or what about if Thailand is trying to get to a position whereby it only wants to grow enough rice to feed itself thus freeing up labour to work in jobs created by ASEAN.

ASEAN will create jobs if the current power players are not allowed to intervene. Keeping millions of people alive on the previous pittance of rice prices is reprehensible. Thailand does not have to export rice if other opportunities are availble. Do your own research on the rice exporters and make your own conclusions.

On a tv program last year it stated that 2 rice exporters accounted for 60% of all rice exports. Lets see 60% of 7.5 million is 4.5 million tonnes. I dont know the margins but lets say $100 per tonne. Nearly half a billion between 2 families. Not bad if you can get it.

How will ASEAN create jobs? Particularly jobs for ex-rice farmers.

Surely not a financial turfwar, to smash one of the oldest monied groups in the country?

How does paying farmers working tiny plots a subsidy for their rice encourage them to seek better employment?

The answer of course is that is not what's happening, that is only the stated aim of the policy. In reality, the money is going to wealthy owners of larger holdings, some of whom share the surname Shinawatra, so I believe.

• Like 2

Now let's see.

- Men behind the Thai Rice Exporters Association the men behind the coup. Sound reasonable for the government to spent THB 280 billion just to get at these people.

- Thailand trying to grow rice just for local consumption. Good idea, but the rice price pledged must be increased to make sure farmers stay rich.

- Free workers for ASEAN. Novel idea, rice farmers and farm hands re-schooled to provide a pool of highly profession workers who do not need to be paid as the government donates their food.

Last year rice export might be dominated by 60% of the exporters with last year's prices only starting to rise after October 7th, 2011 when the new government pledging period started. That's a bit late in season to profit from existing contracts. This year it seems a few other players are involved and with higher base price and more competition margins might just be depressed a bit.

But all for the good objective of thumping ones nose at coup masterminds, allegedly that is rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

For today's entertainment, I am just going to make a coffee, sit back and wait for the posts to roll in.

It's now almost 4pm and I hope you enjoyed your coffee. The posts did indeed roll in all 20 of them.

My question to you is this:

Do you believe what the PTP government says when it comes to rice trading? Are these figures and statements by the Commerce Ministry credible, or is it just pulling numbers out of the air? Who is buying this overpriced rice? How many shiploads will be exported?

Anything a government says these days has to be taken with a large pich of (overpriced) salt.

Yes it was a bit slower than I anticipated. This is a single question? I think I will generally cover it and say that I am cynical with whatever any government says, and would not bet my house on this one being accurate or truthful. Coffee was great thanks.
  • Like 1

I wonder if any of the other rice exporting nations are now recommending to farmers to grow a different crop for the next planting season. It seems like Thailand will have a lot of rice to export in addition to all the new supply coming online from other countries, such as India.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra extended the scheme, paying farmers 15,000 baht a tonne for paddy, well above the market price, which is put by traders at around 9,000 baht.

It's so lucrative, she got into it herself.

With her assistance they're well on their way from moving from Third back to First (where they were before she was PM)

553616_425131240868648_1710183579_n.jpg

public Facebook photo on her nephew Oak's page

Edited by Buchholz

OUCH!! I would love to be a fly on the wall at this one! Time for popcorn and cold beers next week!

U.S. challenges Thailand to explain rice subsidies

The United States has asked Thailand to give answers at the WTO's agriculture committee on Nov 14, according to an advance copy of questions seen by Reuters.

"The United States remains concerned that with government procurement of rice at rates as much as 40 per cent above world market prices it will be difficult for the Government of Thailand to export any procured rice without incurring a loss," the U.S. submission to the committee says.

"What steps is the Government of Thailand taking to ensure rice procured by the government under the programme is not being sold for export at prices below acquisition cost?" it asks.

It also asks for details of the rice purchasing scheme and Thai government rice stocks and sales, and asks why the Thai Board of Trade has stopped publishing daily data on the scheme.

Full article here

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/09/thailand-rice-wto-idUSL5E8M9EJA20121109?feedType=RSS&feedName=nonCyclicalConsumerGoodsSector

Somehow I think when Barrack Obama stops off here on the 18th he will not be pulling any punches behind closed doors !!!

• Like 1

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra extended the scheme, paying farmers 15,000 baht a tonne for paddy, well above the market price, which is put by traders at around 9,000 baht.

With her assistance they're well on their way from moving from Third back to First (where they were before she was PM)

That's a nice photo, it's good to see the Prime Minister paddy paddling looking like a well dressed rice farmer, nice new seed baskets for all and even an attentive high ranking cop looking on in wonder.

A true rice roots lady of the people.

Edited by ratcatcher

OUCH!! I would love to be a fly on the wall at this one! Time for popcorn and cold beers next week!

The United States has asked Thailand to give answers at the WTO's agriculture committee on Nov 14, according to an advance copy of questions seen by Reuters.

"The United States remains concerned that with government procurement of rice at rates as much as 40 per cent above world market prices it will be difficult for the Government of Thailand to export any procured rice without incurring a loss," the U.S. submission to the committee says.

"What steps is the Government of Thailand taking to ensure rice procured by the government under the programme is not being sold for export at prices below acquisition cost?" it asks.

It also asks for details of the rice purchasing scheme and Thai government rice stocks and sales, and asks why the Thai Board of Trade has stopped publishing daily data on the scheme.

Full article here

http://www.reuters.c...umerGoodsSector

Somehow I think when Barrack Obama stops off here on the 18th he will not be pulling any punches behind closed doors !!!

Obama decking Yingluk, that would be worth watching!

• Like 2

A good opening for Obama would be Yingluck so good to meet you. How's your criminal clone brother? Has he made a pile of money off this rice scam? Are you going to pull all the stops out to get him back so you can collect your hundreds of million Baht's.

Would give them lots to talk about unless Obama knows more about women clothes and cosmetics than we think he does.

edit

Just wondering if while they are talking he could have the services of her manicurist?

Just wondering

Edited by hellodolly

That's a nice photo, it's good to see the Prime Minister paddy paddling looking like a well dressed rice farmer, nice new seed baskets for all and even an attentive high ranking cop looking on in wonder.

Yingluck should be good at that, after all she has spent her whole political life casting Thailands pearls before swine. Matthew 7:6

Edited by waza
  • Like 1

What!!! No Burberrys, Ho ho Yingluck.....shoppingtime.

Yingluck should be good at that, after all she has spent her whole political life casting Thailands pearls before swine. Matthew 7:6

Soon it´s time for the "swine to start throw som dirt back.

A good opening for Obama would be Yingluck so good to meet you. How's your criminal clone brother? Has he made a pile of money off this rice scam? Are you going to pull all the stops out to get him back so you can collect your hundreds of million Baht's.

Would give them lots to talk about unless Obama knows more about women clothes and cosmetics than we think he does.

edit

Just wondering if while they are talking he could have the services of her manicurist?

Just wondering

Hope he is fluent in Thai.whistling.gif

Full article here

Obama decking Yingluk, that would be worth watching!

When I was a lad decking someone either meant punching their lights out or an act of a carnal nature. Which was your viewing desire?

I'm going to make 3 predictions about the 2013 rice market:

1. Thailand will return to being the #1 rice exporter in the world.

2. When they dump their mountain of rice on the world market, the price of rice will drop by 30 to 50%.

3. PT will blame their huge financial loss on the evil elite and will have to raise income taxes on the middle class in order to balance the budget.

Full article here

As all fools foreigners will recognise Thai rice is in a league of it's own and therefor attracts higher prices altogether. No need to dump, we will even make a profit. One of these days we'll issue a detailed statement to show how much money was made (by some) rolleyes.gif