Faster Internet In Thailand Does Not Mean Faster International Speed

shariq607

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for sharing! Sadly, quite as expected. sad.png

Although the speed against the LA server with almost 4MB/s is very good. Impossible to get anywhere close to this on an average 8MB/s adls line.

Edited by Morakot

Cheapest true connection 10 Mbps/512 Kbps:

Well here we are not comparing the connection locally but to international servers. Mostly people here in Thailand would get their advertised speed locally by the isps

Edited by shariq607

Fake!

40ms Ping to Los Angeles = cheesy.gif

Yea, I hear you. I don't know how many times (hundreds to thousands of posts on ThaiVisa) where bogus ping and download speed results due to in-country cache servers fooling Flash/OOKLA-based speedtesters like Speedtest.net has been discussed and explained. But posts continue which show faster-than-light ping times and international download speeds like that far-off server is just across the soi---and that in-country cache server could be just across the street if you live in the right place. For me on my True DOCSIS 14Mb/1.4Mb plan here in Bangkok, if I turn off the True proxy setting I can get ping times of under 15ms to pretty much any server on Earth on a Flash/OOKLA based speedtester due to the local cache server fooling the speedtester; but turn the proxy server setting on and somehow that prevents the false results, and ping time to the U.S. west coast are in the 200-250ms ballpark (what they should be with current technology) and unfortunately the international bandwidth is way below my in-Thailand 14Mb speed.

Thai ISP's just don't buy/allow enough international bandwidth....plenty of undersea/overland fiber optics bandwdith capability between Thailand and the rest of the world but the ISPs have to pay for it...unfortunately, they choose not to buy a whole lot...and that really shows up in single-threaded internet operations like browsing, emailing, speedtesting, live video streaming, etc. But if you use a download manager/torrent program which can multi-thread then you can get get much higher international file download speeds...all the way up to your in-Thailand speed.

My True DOCSIS 14Mb/1.4Mb Plan Results to L.A...Proxy Off (bogus ping and download speed)

2291665133.png

My True DOCSIS 14Mb/1.4Mb Plan Results to L.A...Proxy On (Valid Results)

2291662968.png

• Like 1

I'm not sure anyone is surprised to hear that the short-straw is international bandwidth. That said, I use a local Thai seedbox and torrents seem to run all the way up to my contracted wire speed of 48 Mega-bits per second ( 6 MB/s) - and True On-line keeps upping my DSL speed so FTPing intra-Thailand is not constrained.

SNR Up : 9.6

SNR Down : 20.9

Line Attenuation Up : 4.2

Line Attenuation Down : 6.3

Data Rate Up : 1088

Data Rate Down : 15328

What do you mean by your "contracted" wire speed? I'm a little confused where you say 48Mbits contracted wire speed but your modem DataRateDown only reflects 15.328Mbits. I guess the seedbox is hooked to a 48Mbits service...and your connection between the your ADSL modem and seedbox is 15Mbits?

Edited by Pib

My speed varies from 0 b/second to 1500 kb/s on a 6 meg line. I don't look for TOT to do anything about it in the future as they are putting in so many free hot spots for various cities and selling service they can't deliver. The BS they give you when you go to see them or they come to your office is amazing. Without a doubt TOT refueses to pay for very much international bandwidth. Even at 03:00 my speed goes up and down from 0 to 1500 kb/s. There is no hope of TOT ever cleaning up their problem. Chiang Rai speeds really suck!

Also downloads from payserver in usa gives me the same figure.

Well here we are not comparing the connection locally but to international servers. Mostly people here in Thailand would get their advertised speed locally by the isps

Fake!

Yea, I hear you. I don't know how many times (hundreds to thousands of posts on ThaiVisa) where bogus ping and download speed results due to in-country cache servers fooling Flash/OOKLA-based speedtesters like Speedtest.net has been discussed and explained. But posts continue which show faster-than-light ping times and international download speeds like that far-off server is just across the soi---and that in-country cache server could be just across the street if you live in the right place. For me on my True DOCSIS 14Mb/1.4Mb plan here in Bangkok, if I turn off the True proxy setting I can get ping times of under 15ms to pretty much any server on Earth on a Flash/OOKLA based speedtester due to the local cache server fooling the speedtester; but turn the proxy server setting on and somehow that prevents the false results, and ping time to the U.S. west coast are in the 200-250ms ballpark (what they should be with current technology) and unfortunately the international bandwidth is way below my in-Thailand 14Mb speed.

Thai ISP's just don't buy/allow enough international bandwidth....plenty of undersea/overland fiber optics bandwdith capability between Thailand and the rest of the world but the ISPs have to pay for it...unfortunately, they choose not to buy a whole lot...and that really shows up in single-threaded internet operations like browsing, emailing, speedtesting, live video streaming, etc. But if you use a download manager/torrent program which can multi-thread then you can get get much higher international file download speeds...all the way up to your in-Thailand speed.

My True DOCSIS 14Mb/1.4Mb Plan Results to L.A...Proxy Off (bogus ping and download speed)

2291665133.png

2291662968.png

But that second speedtest which is accurate is surely fastest enough for anyone ??

You'd be able to stream Video Tv etc if the connection was consistent ?? Yes ?? No ??

But that second speedtest which is accurate is surely fastest enough for anyone ??

You'd be able to stream Video Tv etc if the connection was consistent ?? Yes ?? No ??

I would say yes, I don't need more than that.

I have a 10mb connection and I don't really need more than that.

I am downloading a lot of stuff and I find it sufficient and they don't shut me off/down, despite sometimes downloading

say 100-500 gb a month.

Fake!

2291665133.png

2291662968.png

Yes, I can stream video OK-fine...but my video streaming is pretty much limited to YouTube clips, news clips, etc....I'm not really into watching live TV/broadcasts via the internet.

However, just because a speedtest says you are getting several megabits or more international speed "does not" mean live video streaming will be smooth/non-pausing because video streaming needs smooth, consistent data flow and speedtest report results based on an average of the speeds during the test. If during a speedtest ,say just for discussion, the speed was jumping around a lot....jump up to 10Mb, then fall down to 1Mb, then jump up to 4Mb, then down to 500Kb, etc., a real sawtooth/many sharp peaks & valleys in speeds, you would probably end up with a speedtest result of around 4Mb or maybe around 2.5Mb if the speedtest algorithm discarded the high and low numbers which is common with speedtesters. In above example the data flow is really not smooth,consistent and you could very well experience video pausing. But if during a speedtest say the speed didn't jump around too much, like 6Mb, then 5Mb, then 4Mb, etc., that is a much more smooth, consistent data flow that streaming video really needs.

So many people who seem to get valid & zippy international speedtest results wonder why they still have streaming video problems...well, the problem could be herky-jerky data flow and/or high ping times. A person really needs to also look at just how smooth (or unsmooth) the data flow is for video streaming; not just basic speedtester download speed results.

So many people who seem to get valid & zippy international speedtest results wonder why they still have streaming video problems

that's correct.

I stream Live-TV from my german server (now 10 Mbit Upload), for more than 6 years.

Before, I had 1.2 Mbit upload in Germany and most of the time, I wasn't able to receive a 600 Kbit stream "stutter-free", because of the crappy routing.

25-30 hops, sometimes routed via Japan, sometimes via USA, latency ~450 ms, or more

Now it is routed via SG, only 14 hops and a latency ~280-300 ms.

ISP here is TOT.

And the Live-Stream now works for 95% all the time.

All this talk about the same old fake ping times and this speed vs that. Really, again?

But what caught my attention in this post, was a university claiming to have 10Gbps internet in the first place.

No way that kind of speed would be on a shared package so got to be a leased line.

2Mb leased line (international) costs approx 20k, so times that by 500 and you got a whopping 10 million per month.

Even with a 90% bulk purchase discount, Thai university spending 1 million per month for internet.... I doubt it!

I also doubt that more than a handful of place outside of Korea or Japan have 10Gbps internet.

What is more likely is that this university may have a 10Gbps intranet, which is available on high end routers.

Expensive kit but well within the realms of a university.

Most of the machines would be limited to 1Gbps ethernet on the motherboard though, unless they bought pricey network cards for each machine.

They may even have a few private fiber links to a few select exchanges within Thailand, affording them theoretical 10Gbps speeds down their own lines.

But once they hit the open exchange, especially international, they in the same boat as everyone else, sharing over clogged connections.

To any of the newcomers here, if you're running a speedtest between Thailand and the U.S. or Europe, your result IF LEGITIMATE should show you a ping time of somewhere in the 200 to 300+ ms (milli-seconds) range.

If your U.S. or Europe speedtests are showing you ping times of under 100 ms, then those results ARE BOGUS and probably are cached, with the actual speed being measured being between your location and the servers of your Thailand ISP -- and not to the international location you think is being measured.

speedtest.net uses a cache so no good for international speeds,'try this one

http://www.dslreport...eedtest?flash=1

No, don't use this one either because it's a "Flash" based speed tester which can be easily fooled for download speed and/or ping time. For example I just use did a speed test to the L.A. server and got these bogus download speed results on my True DOCSIS 14Mb/1.4Mb plan with the True proxy server off. Notice my download speed to L.A. is 14Mb---awesome!!!!...Nope, sorry, bogus result due to in-country cache server....that download result came from a server in Bangkok. Usually, the results are bogus for both download speed and ping time with faster-than-light ping time being the dead give-away, but in this case only the download speed result is bogus.

post-55970-0-30773700-1352604877_thumb.j

Now with the True proxy server turned on which somehow prevents the Flash-based speedtester from being fooled I get valid results. What a downer, I'm now only getting around 2Mb to L.A., but unfortunately it's a valid result based on the algorithm used by the speedtester.

post-55970-0-39815900-1352605097_thumb.j

If using the DSLReports speedtesters do not use the Flash-based one (remember, Flash-based testers can be easily fooled); use their Java-based one at this Link When I use their Java-based tester I get the same results whether I have the True proxy setting turned off or on. Much, much tougher to fool a Java-based tester; real easy to fool a Flash-based tester.

Now, when I use to be on TOT and JINET ADSL plans almost two years ago Flash-based or Java-based speedtesters gave me the same results....I guess TOT didn't use cache servers in a way to cause bogus results. In closing, Flash-based testers can be easily fooled/give bogus results especially to servers outside of Thailand.

I'd be very curious to see the speeds of a multi-thread download -- like from overseas torrent seeds -- on that University line.

On my run-of-the-mill 3BB 13Mbps line, speedtests to the USA and Europe rarely are above 3Mbps download, however, torrent downloads routinely max out the 13Mbps download capacity.

speedtest.net uses a cache so no good for international speeds,'try this one

http://www.dslreport...eedtest?flash=1

No, don't use this one either because it's a "Flash" based speed tester which can be easily fooled for download speed and/or ping time.

So can you recommend a valid test tool? I found one a while ago from another thread here but lost the link.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect App