Kasikorn Bank- Grrrrr!

This is a rant....

I've been a Kasikorn Bank customer since 2005, use internet banking with them and in general I've been content (excepting their silly out of district fees.)

I was back in the US for one year and my old mobile number expired. When I returned to Thailand, I duly presented myself at a branch in BKK, replaced my transaction full bank book and updated my mobile number- or so I thought.

I bought a motorcycle tire from a shop in BKK and logged on to my K Bank account to transfer the money to him. I needeed a one time pass word to add him as a payee and no sms message was sent to my phone, so I called the service center. After answering all the security questions, the representative informed me that they have no record of my new number and she could not change it for me- just go to a Kasikorn Branch bank. Ah ok...

Today I presented myself at a Kasikorn bank branch in Pattaya and as soon as they rep saw my bank book he apologised and said that I would have to go to BKK to change my number. I kept my cool but, <deleted>? Bank book in my name, passport, thai driver's license and they can't change my telephone number? He did say there is a new change to their system, as of Monday, Nov 12, that would allow changes to be made at locations other than the original branch where the account was first opened. Still, in the age of computers, instant money transfers and a simple telephone number change can not be made during business hours?

The rep was polite and I didn't argue with him but in the back of my mind I did wonder if he invented an excuse to blow me off or a much needed improvement to their system was actually underway.

At times living here its like the Twlight Zone :)

• Like 1

Yes I know how that goes :)

Not at Kasikorn but another bank I have it was a real pain to change my cell number

took a couple weeks!

I will say my other Thai bank changed it immediately no problem.

I will refrain from naming the two banks.

The other issue you mention. Yeah that is a common one as banks here are like

franchises. Many things may only be done where you opened your account.

Weird huh? TIT ;)

Yes I know how that goes smile.png

Not at Kasikorn but another bank I have it was a real pain to change my cell number

took a couple weeks!

I will say my other Thai bank changed it immediately no problem.

I will refrain from naming the two banks.

The other issue you mention. Yeah that is a common one as banks here are like

franchises. Many things may only be done where you opened your account.

Weird huh? TIT wink.png

Yeah TIT. I like it here- until I don't, 555 smile.png

Probably easier to simply withdraw all but 1 baht and open a new account at a new branch or simply change banks.

I really wonder how the Thais keep their cool as I see their fellow Thais in positions of authority often giving them the run around.

Edited by Lancelot
  • Like 1

Same thing happened to me, only I was in the UK, and couldnt pay money to my daughter in Thailand.

The OTP wasn't reaching me, I assumed it was because I was abroad, nope, the number change I did at the ATM, is not the same for OTP that had to be done in branch. I had to send money via western union to Thailand for her, Kasikorn would not help in any way whatsoever.

Same thing happened to me, only I was in the UK, and couldnt pay money to my daughter in Thailand.

The OTP wasn't reaching me, I assumed it was because I was abroad, nope, the number change I did at the ATM, is not the same for OTP that had to be done in branch. I had to send money via western union to Thailand for her, Kasikorn would not help in any way whatsoever.

Why couldn't you do a bank transfer from you UK account (assuming you have one) to her Thai account? Might have been cheaper than WU.

My best experience was trying to transfer 1m baht to another Thai account, the cheapest way turned out to be carrying the cash from the Kasikorn to the payee's bank on the other side of town.

I think some of the "unique" banking procedures here are, well, because the banks can. Its not like there is any meaningful outside competition to force customer friendly changes.

In the mean time, they are wasting my time with pointless bureacracy :(

Don't worry ,I had two IMT returned by KBank , the bank phoned the son, who the money was for and asked him why was he receiving money from o/sea's, their job is to process the request, not to be the sheriff , there's other agency's to do that, Kbank , now way, back to BKKBbah.gif

Don't worry ,I had two IMT returned by KBank , the bank phoned the son, who the money was for and asked him why was he receiving money from o/sea's, their job is to process the request, not to be the sheriff , there's other agency's to do that, Kbank , now way, back to BKKBbah.gif

Some times I think staff look for reasons to not complete tasks, as in "If I do this I might make a mistake, so better to be safe and deny the transaction; therefore, my superiors can not fault me for doing some thing wrong"

Ah TIT :)

It's usually the case that when you want to make some change you have to do it at the branch where you opened the account. That's just the way things work here; deal with it.

If you're now staying in PTY, best idea as you thought is to open an account at a branch here and transfer the money. No need to bother to close the other account: with a zero balance it'll eventually be closed for you.

"Some times I think staff look for reasons to not complete tasks, as in "If I do this I might make a mistake, so better to be safe and deny the transaction; therefore, my superiors can not fault me for doing some thing wrong"

Ah TIT smile.png"

Bingo! I think they feel it's easier to just say "no" than to go beyond their most basic duties.

Edited by curtklay

Yes they're tightening security, I use the 2nd password option with Kasikorn as the SMS system is a hassle overseas. Don't know why they don't introduce the "Token" number generator we have had in Australia for many years.

I can add another payee at any branch of Kasikorn after an online application. They just authenticate it then send the application to the head office in BKK, only takes a day or two.

@Lancelot : was it really : "he invented an excuse to blow me off" : YES

The local workforce are masters at this self created art of being escape artists - i have had exactly the same issue while trying to get USD tranfers within KBANK Branches between Bangkok and Udon Thani - the same excuse of "system cant do it".

The fact is that , they are fully trained to do it - but when the time comes to "recall" and "use" a not-so-used function of the same system - they would rather escape, rather than going through the manuals / figuring out on how to do it. Till date, i have to go back to the same guy every time i need FCD based transactions!

I was getting a business transaction done - and i had to escalate the matter to the branch manager to get it resolved and finally done. But at the end of the day - it did waste a lot of my time... !

I find KAsikorn to make a lot of mistakes too, seemingly avoidable mistakes.

I wanted to send a transfer to my insurance in Malaysia. Told 500 baht and Ihave to have the agents passport. NOt I but passport I said ridiculous, I have money in that bank for years, I have a work permit,

Beside swhat if they don't have a passport? Driver's license OK ? SO get on the phone . ask aroufn 20 mnute has gone by OK License is OK

Ispend 45 minutes getting the agent to e mail his ID it to me at the cafe across the street , go back fill out the form takes anouter 10 minutes in line a few monute get teo t counter she takees a few muinutes , then she says

"180 baht "

But it was 500 you said"

," Oh that for this bank .. ",explaining the dramatic increase with a giggle .

one and a half hours later , no transfer, went to Ayudya at tesco mall 700 baht and done in 5 minutes.

Another incident

Every other bank has given me on demand a statement fo rthe entire period with no charge .

K bank- for for beyond last year - 500 baht

Call the centre, nope ... it's 200 baht,

Bank manager gets on phone for a few minutes yapping about "farang" , then the phone guy tells me ahhh, er yes it's 500 but this time she can make special discount for you .

( like I'm in a tourist trap ) of only 200.. Unbelievable.

I made complaint and the complaint management told me it's 200 baht for all transaction statement.

incidentally K does have an all English dedicated call line, it's why I use them as most companies have very bad voice menu speakers.

"Pwehak pwerath e brwar"

02 888 8800

Some times I think staff look for reasons to not complete tasks, as in "If I do this I might make a mistake, so better to be safe and deny the transaction; therefore, my superiors can not fault me for doing some thing wrong"

Ah TIT smile.png

The Thai banking system is , ordinary at best, You maybe correct in what you say , the best one, is if you need to transfer from say Bkk to Chiang Rai you have to pay a fee, what a rip off.

I had the same problem with changing my mobile number at Kasikorn.

It was impossible to do it remotely, I had to go 3 times to the K branch and be persistent with a clerk until she got the Call Center in BKK to do it.

I think all banks should adopt eye or least finger print scanners. Then all the other things that can be more easily faked or copied become secondary. And you will likely not forget them at home either.

:)

• Like 1

"Some times I think staff look for reasons to not complete tasks, as in "If I do this I might make a mistake, so better to be safe and deny the transaction; therefore, my superiors can not fault me for doing some thing wrong"

Ah TIT smile.png"

Bingo! I think they feel it's easier to just say "no" than to go beyond their most basic duties.

"No" is rude. They usually say "You need a work permit!"

I have some experience here in Thailand with Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank.

It may just be me and my wife, but it seems that we cannot believe anything that anyone from Kasikorn ever say.. they say, oh yes no problem we can do that (something like changing a phone number) and then later you find that it was not done at all. Also, they seem to make a lot of mistakes and always seem totally unable to correct anything or even acknowledge mistakes as obvious as mis-spellt name on internet banking etc.

Anyway, in my personal experience I have found the staff at Bangkok Bank to be much more capable and helpful. Now It could just be that my branch of Bangkok Bank is particularly good, but it seems that everyone who banks at Kasikorn has a horror story to tell.

Edited by technologybytes

My best experience was trying to transfer 1m baht to another Thai account, the cheapest way turned out to be carrying the cash from the Kasikorn to the payee's bank on the other side of town.

Well of course that way was the cheapest. All you did was withdraw and deposit. Not many, if any, banks charge you for that. If you wanted them to do the transfer for you then you should expect to pay for the service. If you'd been mugged and had the 1 m baht stolen from you the I bet you would have wished you'd paid the fee and got the bank to do it for you. You Sir are a Cheap Charlie.

Never had a problem with Kasikorn unlike the many other Thai banks I've tried. Their virtual credit card is a blessing as it works well each and every time I've used it which is at least 3 times a month for the past 3 years. Don't know of any other Thai bank that has similar system. Some have tried and given up but the Kasikorn one just keeps on working.

Keep up the good work Kasikorn ....

Couldn't you have got them to cut you a cheque and then deposited it? Cheap enough, I'd imagine.

Couldn't you have got them to cut you a cheque and then deposited it? Cheap enough, I'd imagine.

Yeah a cheque would have cost you 20 baht since you couldn't afford the B150 for the transfer. Good you made it w/ the cash across town.

Hmm... Im with Kasikorn & make monthly transfer's for various things.. never needed an OTP as I use my Second Level Password & have any bank accounts I need to transfer money to registered on my K-Cyber Banking..

I understand the frustration of the Mobile Number thing but if I was you I would arrange my Internet Banking to use the password & not the OTP Password as its much easier & only accounts that you register online & then take the paperwork to the Bank Branch can be transferred money...

Also.. the thing about carrying out tasks at Branches other than the one you opened it at only applies if you still have your Passbook (Bank Account Book).. if you lose that then you have to go back to the original Branch again..

Annoying but sometimes a little extra security can keep peace of mind.

... anytime I change my details I do it inside the bank & ask to see the screen to ensure its been changed & changed correctly.. I hate the second visit!