Thai-American Elected To U S Congress

webfact

Currently, Title 8 of the U.S. Code fills in the gaps left by the Constitution. Section 1401 defines the following as people who are "citizens of the United States at birth:"

Anyone born inside the United States *

Any Indian or Eskimo born in the United States, provided being a citizen of the U.S. does not impair the person's status as a citizen of the tribe

Any one born outside the United States, both of whose parents are citizens of the U.S., as long as one parent has lived in the U.S.

Any one born outside the United States, if one parent is a citizen and lived in the U.S. for at least one year and the other parent is a U.S. national

Any one born in a U.S. possession, if one parent is a citizen and lived in the U.S. for at least one year

Any one found in the U.S. under the age of five, whose parentage cannot be determined, as long as proof of non-citizenship is not provided by age 21

Any one born outside the United States, if one parent is an alien and as long as the other parent is a citizen of the U.S. who lived in the U.S. for at least five years (with military and diplomatic service included in this time)

A final, historical condition: a person born before 5/24/1934 of an alien father and a U.S. citizen mother who has lived in the U.S.

* There is an exception in the law — the person must be "subject to the jurisdiction" of the United States. This would exempt the child of a diplomat, for example, from this provision.

Anyone falling into these categories is considered natural-born, and is eligible to run for President or Vice President. These provisions allow the children of military families to be considered natural-born, for example.

Why is she not qualified to run for President?

My vote is for Liz Warren 2016

You basically have to have been born in the US or a territory the US controls to be considered a 'natural born' citizen and be eligible to be president. She was born in Thailand and thus she is not eligible. The rule was created because at the founding of the US they were paranoid that an immigrant who was secretly working for a foreign country could become president and allow them to take over.

That's why some right wingers are obsessed with trying to prove that Obama was really born in Kenya and not Hawaii, it would make him ineligible to be president.

Possible the rule could be changed some day. There was talk among Republicans about wanting to change it so Arnold Schwarzenegger could run, maybe some day Democrats would want to change it so this woman could run.

Except John McCain was born in Panama ...

I'm not focusing on her eligibility. Maybe she is eligible. I'm judging by her speech. It was very good but I don't see the presidential X factor in her. Sorry.

It is great that more Asian Americans are going for political office, and also the dramatic shift of Asian Americans to the more diverse democratic party.

Edited by Jingthing

That is great news to have an American Thai in Congress...Hopefully that will be good news for Thailand as well.

It would be interesting to hear her views on the ousted Thaksan.

In any event, it is good news.

even better that she kept that tea party douche bag Joe Walsh out of congress

• Like 1

Be nice to see this happen in Thailand as well.

There are several dual citizens in Thai parliment. In fact thailand had a dual citizen PM just a couple of years ago, did you forget?.

Agreed, but remember the pressure he was under to virtually deny dual citizenship?

I raise my hat to this lady, what a remarkable woman. I doubt if we will ever see similar in Thailand though.

"I doubt if we will ever see similar in Thailand though."

No opportunity to do a little Thai-bashing is ever ignored.

How is stating fact 'Thai bashing'?

Do you believe that this will be mirrored in Thailand?

Good for her but as was said before . . . Thai-American? talk about grasping at straws

• Like 2

Her story is truly uplifting. Congratulations.

Carrying on her family's military history, with service dating back to the Revolutionary War, as a Helicopter pilot in Iraq is something all Americans should be thankful, and grateful, for.

Even though she was born in Bangkok, she would of course be an eligible candidate for the President of the United States. The Donald notwithstanding. wink.png

The U.S. Constitution states that only U.S. citizens born in the U.S. or a U.S. territory can become President. I think there is some kind of loophole for people born in overseas U.S. military bases, which is how Senator John McCain was allowed to run for President. Being born in Bangkok definitely disqualifies her, unless there is an amendment to the constitution (unlikely).

That being said, she is a remarkable woman and I wish her the best of luck in Congress. We need good people like her in government, and she will need all the luck and toughness she can muster to deal with the insanity of modern politics.

Now go figure how many German or Italian or Swedish or Irish newspaper will waste their valuable news spaces with headlines like "German-American elected...", "Italian-American elected...", etc.

Has anyone else noticed that The Nation calls her "Thai-American", while at least one poster labelled her "American Thai"? What's "truer"?

For whatever reason, in the US, the terms Irish-American, German-American, African-American, etc. are used.

Rarely if ever do you see handicapped Thais getting around Thailand and Bangkok. There is an occasional sighting, but very rare. Also seeing elderly people getting around is a rarity.

thats no wonder try to cross the road ,thats allready a challenge for not disabled people than the step up the trottoir from nearly 20 cm , then try to walk in between all the stands and salesman on the sidewalk

sometimes i see a wheelchair-ramp but then it's next to impossible to get to that thing without any help also on top of that ramp they narrow the space down with a few nice curbs that does'nt fit even a small wheelchair

For whatever reason, in the US, the terms Irish-American, German-American, African-American, etc. are used.

Perhaps it's because the first mentioned country in each case is older and shows where you came from (your ancestry) rather than where you're at. If an American of Irish decent and an American of German decent have a child what is the child? Irish-German-American! Isn't being just American enough?

The U.S. Constitution states that only U.S. citizens born in the U.S. or a U.S. territory can become President. I think there is some kind of loophole for people born in overseas U.S. military bases, which is how Senator John McCain was allowed to run for President. Being born in Bangkok definitely disqualifies her, unless there is an amendment to the constitution (unlikely).

Mmm. Not exactly. The U.S.Constitution does not state where one must be born to be eligible, just that "No Person except a natural born Citizen..." is eligible. One can be a "natural born citizen" regardless of the physical location of their birth. There is no "loophole" per se for people born in/on/near overseas military bases, or other U.S. "holdings".

As I understand Ms. Duckworth's family history she would be eligible as she is a natural born citizen of the United States of America.

A 2011 Congressional Research Service report stated:

The weight of legal and historical authority indicates that the term "natural born" citizen would mean a person who is entitled to U.S. citizenship "by birth" or "at birth", either by being born "in" the United States and under its jurisdiction, even those born to alien parents; by being born abroad to U.S. citizen-parents; or by being born in other situations meeting legal requirements for U.S. citizenship "at birth". Such term, however, would not include a person who was not a U.S. citizen by birth or at birth, and who was thus born an "alien" required to go through the legal process of "naturalization" to become a U.S. citizen.

Now would the current Supreme Court agree? Depends if the candidate were Republican or Democrat. ;)

Obviously this was not an issue for Gov. Romney's father George. who was born in Mexico and ran in the 1968 Republican Presidential primary. John McCain famously kept his birth certificate secret - some who were there say he was actually born at the home his parents were staying in, which may have been off the submarine base? Not relevant of course, except to idiots like The Donald.

Iraq veteran defeats Illinois conservative

CHICAGO, Nov 8, 2012 (AFP) - Tammy Duckworth, an Iraq war veteran born in Thailand, on Tuesday soundly defeated a controversial conservative lawmaker in a closely watched election in the suburbs of Chicago.

Duckworth, who lost most of her two legs in Iraq, defeated first-term Republican congressman Joe Walsh who raised hackles by saying during his campaign that abortion was never necessary to save the life of a pregnant woman.

Duckworth was leading Walsh by about 10 percentage points in the eighth congressional district in Illinois, in a pick-up for the Democrats even though Republicans were expected to maintain control of the House of Representatives.

Walsh is a prominent figure in the right-wing populist Tea Party movement. He is a hawkish supporter of Israel and campaigned for the United States to issue a visa to Narendra Modi, the chief minister of Gujarat who is shunned in Washington due to anti-Muslim riots in the Indian state in 2002.

Duckworth was born in Bangkok to a US military father and a Thai mother. After President Barack Obama took office, she took a senior position in the Department of Veterans Affairs.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-11-08

It is a sad day when a veteran is a member of the spend, spend, spend dim-o-crats...

I am incensed that my taxes have paid to support illegal immigrants (i.e. criminals), paying for their food, housing, legal fees and health care.

If I was in Thailand illegally, I would be a criminal and would be serving time in prison. In many countries, I would be executed.

• Like 1

Iraq veteran defeats Illinois conservative CHICAGO, Nov 8, 2012 (AFP) - Tammy Duckworth, an Iraq war veteran born in Thailand, on Tuesday soundly defeated a controversial conservative lawmaker in a closely watched election in the suburbs of Chicago. Duckworth, who lost most of her two legs in Iraq, defeated first-term Republican congressman Joe Walsh who raised hackles by saying during his campaign that abortion was never necessary to save the life of a pregnant woman. Duckworth was leading Walsh by about 10 percentage points in the eighth congressional district in Illinois, in a pick-up for the Democrats even though Republicans were expected to maintain control of the House of Representatives. Walsh is a prominent figure in the right-wing populist Tea Party movement. He is a hawkish supporter of Israeland campaigned for the United States to issue a visa to Narendra Modi, the chief minister of Gujarat who is shunned in Washington due to anti-Muslim riots in the Indian state in 2002. Duckworth was born in Bangkok to a US military father and a Thai mother. After President Barack Obama took office, she took a senior position in the Department of Veterans Affairs. afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-11-08

It is a sad day when a veteran is a member of the spend, spend, spend dim-o-crats... I am incensed that my taxes have paid to support illegal immigrants (i.e. criminals), paying for their food, housing, legal fees and health care. If I was in Thailand illegally, I would be a criminal and would be serving time in prison. In many countries, I would be executed.
Sorry, Im calling bullshit on this one.First, the party is the DemocratIC partyNext, the amount of your taxes that paid anything toward "illegals" couldnt buy a stick of sate. Next, you might be considered a criminal here in Thailand for an overstay and placed in prision despite latest and harshest laws is a stretch at best. Goes double for Burmese and Khmer. Which countries execute economic migrants you selfish old man?! In fact, what is the appeal of Thailand to you? Oh yeah, cheap service by brown folks. A bet you're a hit with the Thais with that ugly, white, privilaged attitude. Edited by bangkokburning
  • Like 1

Her story is truly uplifting. Congratulations.

Carrying on her family's military history, with service dating back to the Revolutionary War, as a Helicopter pilot in Iraq is something all Americans should be thankful, and grateful, for.

Even though she was born in Bangkok, she would of course be an eligible candidate for the President of the United States. The Donald notwithstanding. wink.png

No, Arnie Schwarzenegger has been Gouverneur of California but could not be President being born in Austria.

• 7 months later...

War hero and U.S. Representative Tammy Duckworth performing at the Capitol in Washington, DC ripping a government contractor for claiming and using disabled veterans contracting privileges and set-aside preferences when he only had a mere sports injury in high school. http://washingtonexaminer.com/rep.-tammy-duckworth-takes-apart-irs-contractor-for-gaming-veterans-benefits-program/article/2532424

• Like 1