200 Dogs Saved From Meat Market: Nakhon Phanom

webfact

200 dogs saved from meat market

By Digital Media

dog.jpeg

NAKHON PHANOM, Nov 8 -- Some 200 dogs were rescued from a smuggling racket, found in a truck, about to cross the Mekong River to the neighbouring country of Laos.

A white six-wheel truck with Sakon Nakhon registration plate was found parked near the Mekong River in Nakhon Phanom's Ban Phaeng district.

Nakhon Phanom police and provincial Livestock Development Department personnel inspected the truck, finding dogs crammed into 40 cages, seven to 10 dogs per cage.

The driver apparently abandoned his vehicle, and fled the scene before the authorities arrived.

Local authorities believed the dogs were enroute to neighbouring countries for sale as meat for human consumption as the cold season is arriving.

Dog meat is especially in demand in Vietnam during the cold season.

The Thai officials vowed to apply strict measures to prevent smuggling of dogs. Those in custody were to be sent to the Nakhon Phanom Animal Quarantine Station. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-11-08

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now what are they going to do with them? I wouldn't be surprised if they vast majority of them are put-down in the end anyway.

Exactly. Now the meat will go to waste. I highly doubt that they will use the humane method of putting them down too. Knife to the throat. Poor lil guys either way

The dogs here are becoming a real problem. Not far from where I live they roam around an area near a seven. They are becoming more aggressive, and I have to take a stick with me just to go and get milk.

People should be able to walk in a residential area without fear of being bitten.

• Like 1

There are Way to Many Dogs running around the Streets everywhere in Thailand, The More they get the Better! Only 200? They could take 200.000 off the Streets and You still wouldn't notice! Of Course it is Not the Dogs Fault that Selfish People don't take Control them and Stop them Breeding everywhere? Before You Comment it's the Dogs I am Talking about not the People!!!

• Like 1

40 cages with 7 dogs each = 280 dogs

40 cages with 10 dogs each = 400 dogs

200 dogs rescued? what happend to the rest? seems the tablets they were handing out for teaching math are not working properly...??

what a sharp view... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

Now what are they going to do with them? I wouldn't be surprised if they vast majority of them are put-down in the end anyway.

So long as it's done humanely then at least it's better than the cruelty they may have been subjected to.

• Like 1

Well, I suspect whatever fate they meet in thailand, it will be better than being beaten to death at an informal slaughterhouse. In certain Asian countries (China, Korea, Vietnam), it's believed that the dog's meat will be more tasty and tender if it experiences fear during death, so death is not delivered swiftly.

• Like 1

Looks like Soi Dog's will have more work now...

The Soi Dog folk are doing the best they can to stop this filthy trade. Check out their website and donate a little something. From the comments on this forum it seems to me that it would be a good thing if the Vietnamese could change their tastes from dog to farang. Then the bars could empty out and the girls go back to making a respectable living.

What are you talking about?