Getting A Credit Card In Thailand...

watcharacters

I have a friend who is going through the hoops & loops of getting a CC from KBank at the minute. He is married to a Thai, two children, own house (albiet in wife's name), two cars. His own bank accounts with the KBank for more than 8 years. Each child has their own account with the bank as well.

He works rotation outside Thailand so therefore doesn't have a WP for this country.

The wife has two credit cards, based on the security of the husband's income, and yet because of the WP clause, he cannot get his own CC. His work-round is that he uses one of his wife's which only covers partially his need of a CC from his in-country bank.

And yet me on the otherhand, based on the requirement of income and WP could get one tomorrow, and I self admittedly am not nearly as important a customer to the bank as the friend.

They really do have a strange approach to this issue, most importantly to the work permit requirement.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a Thai gf who already has a credit card then you can apply to get a card issued in your name but still part of her account, a supplementary card.

I got an HSBC card this way. Have used it in the US to book and pay for hotels and car rentals with no problems.

I got mine with a tourist visa thumbsup.gif and about 30k in my acct cheesy.gif

Caveats:

I came to the branch from another branch where I had the account not quite ten years.

Had an account at my branch for about two years

Made the app with the gf who was not wife yet even

Secured card, so they can't lose. 100k down, limit 50k.

As was stated...who needs a bloody card in cashland? I love cash!

Buy plane tickets (as in 50k.plane tickets) and rent cars. Done, done and done!

Scb can be used on AA and Nok can be paid at 7. Buses can be paid at 7. I love Thailand!

Edited by bangkokburning

I got an Aeon card about 9 months ago with a 30,000 bht limit , not much i know but it is handy.

I only had to take my Passport, work permit, letter from employer ( school) and my Taa bein baan ( yellow book ) filled the forms in and a couple of weeks got the card, no problem!!! Biggest problem is their online service and getting my statements on-line.

Their on-line service leaves much to be desired, and involves youprinting off a letter from your account to be posted via snail mail to their HQ before they set you up with on - line statements, this actually means you get a notification by e-mail telling you to go to your online acct and print off a statement ???

But it was easy to get the card, hopefully i can get them to raise my credit limit in the future as the limit at the moment will only just cover the cost of one flight booking back to the UK rather than 2, if i was wanting to take the missus with me as well.

If this is the case of K bank, it seems intresting for me as I am their one of the biggest customer with huge daily transaction.

I and my partner are doing trading business on 'O' and 'B' visa resp. and banking on Kasikorn bank and Bangkok bank, lets see if we can avail OD, BG, DC or LC on only company registration documents without WP.

Thanks for very useful information.

Edited by StayHere

My understanding is that a work permit is usually required.

However a "secured" card where your limit is lower than the cash in the account should in theory be possible.

And note there's no need to get one here, these are readily available internationally, have you maintained a forwarding address back home?

From what I've seen, in the UK you can't apply for a credit card if if you've been out of the country for more than 90 days.To apply for one in those circumstances would be a criminal offence. All the banks I've checked only issue new credit cards to UK residents. I used to have a Barclaycard that had £250 annual fee but wanted to change it to a non-fee card. They were happy to send renewals of the existing card here, but said I couldn't get a new one because I no longer lived in the UK.

My understanding is that a work permit is usually required.

However a "secured" card where your limit is lower than the cash in the account should in theory be possible.

And note there's no need to get one here, these are readily available internationally, have you maintained a forwarding address back home?

Thanks BJ,

Yeah, ""a "secured" card where your limit is lower than the cash in the account should in theory be possible"". almost think this is one of the difficulties I'm having. I'm not sure I've been able to convey this to the english speaking associates at the call center.

Again I know for sure, I've been told at the bank that my application is good and that I simple need a ฿50K fixed deposit. This is actually where the problem started. I've discovered the people who work behind the desks at the Kbank branches are not necessarily astute when it comes to job performance. An older fellow (50+) took my application two months ago on Sept 24. I made a deposit at the bank in my savings account and also told him I wanted to deposit the 50K for the fixed deposit towards a credit card application. He took down all the information for my application. One month later I called to find out the status of my application and learned the man didn't put the 50K in a fixed deposit towards a CC application so my application was rejected. The lady at the call center had trouble getting the words out that I'd ben rejected for the CC. It was almost comical to hear her.

If you asked to deposit 50K in a fixed account, didn't you hang around to get the bank book. Did they just take your 50K and keep it? I'm not surprised they don't understand you, because you're not making much sense. As for wanting a credit card but not wanting to use it, it is the most ridiculous thing I've heard. Banks don't exists to pander to people like you. If I was in charge there I'd reject your application. You are just wasting your time, their time and our time. Time to forget about it and move on.

• Like 1

It's much better to get and maintain a credit card from a bank back home, even if you don't live there but live in Thailand instead. The interest rates may very well be lower, the credit limits MUCH higher, the criteria for applying and receiving a card much easier, the ease of paying off the card etc. etc. make it a much better option than even bothering to apply for a credit card in Thailand. Sure, there are disadvantages like having to send money abroad to pay the credit card, but it may even be possible to have a Thailand mailing address while maintaining a foreign bank's credit card.

The criteria is not easy if you live in Thailand and want a UK card, because you aren't allowed to apply for one unless you have been in the UK for the last 90 days. The cards are for residents only. This seems to be the case with all card providers. There may be exceptions but I haven't found any.

I got my 2 Credit-Cards (Master and Visa) from Bangkok-Bank.

Have no work-permit, but the Non-Immigrant ED-Visa was sufficient for them. I had to put a security of mimimum 30.000 Baht into a fixed-account, which is the credit-limit for both cards together.

The monthly CC-bIlls they deduct from my savings-account - the security-money stays all the time in the fixed-account (with low interest).

Use the cards for more than 5.000 Baht during one year, and there is no fee (didn't have to pay for this year).

rolleyes.gif Probably this is not what your referring too, but I have a Bangkok Bank Be1st Debit/Atm card which in many ways is technically not a "Credit Card" but it does allow the following:

1. Baht withdrawals up to my the limit of my Bangkok Bank savings accout on Bangkok Bank ATMs here in Thailand (PIN number required).

2, Bangkok Bank ATM local currency withdrawals in (I can verify this from personal experience) in Singapore and Malaysia. I was told this also works in all of S.E. Asia but can only personally verify that fact in Singapore and Malaysia.

3. Did not require a work permit to obtain. However I did need to have a non immigrant O visa and opened a Bangkok Bank "retirement" account (800K baht) when I recieved the card.

4. I recieved this ATM/debit card on the same day I opened ny Bangkok Bank account....took less than an hour total time to establish both of them.

5, Therefore I use my Baht account and my BE1st card in S.E.Asia and my U.S. bank card for online purchases and hotel bills (if any). I did have to sign some forms and establish my Thailand mailing address with my U.S. bank (signature and verifiction of identity required there)

6. Been doing this for over two years with no problems. I live in Bangkok.

rolleyes.gif

Before securing any credit card here in Thailand, beware of the lack of fraud protection.

I have a K-Bank credit card, which i did need a W/P to secure.

Unfortunately my credit limit is rather high, and recently over the past few weeks there has been some

on-line fraudulent activity with my card. (a dozen times with NO SMS alerts)

To cut it short i have had to jump through many hoops to try and prove to K-Bank that i am not responsible

for this activity, and i'm still unsure if they will cover the losses.

The fraud protection from your home country is invaluable.

I also have a Thai Amex (needed a W/P for this too) and they operate to international standards so i

would recommend them over Visa (no yearly fees if you ask them nicely to waive)

• Like 1

The criteria is not easy if you live in Thailand and want a UK card, because you aren't allowed to apply for one unless you have been in the UK for the last 90 days. The cards are for residents only. This seems to be the case with all card providers. There may be exceptions but I haven't found any.

Don't know how big-brotherish things are in Europe these days, but wrt US and Australian banks you just keep an active mailing address have stuff forwarded to you here and no problems.

How are they to know you're out of the country if you don't tell them?

Once you have the card in practice as long as the bills are getting paid on time they don't mind if all your activity comes from overseas.

I got my 2 Credit-Cards (Master and Visa) from Bangkok-Bank.

Have no work-permit, but the Non-Immigrant ED-Visa was sufficient for them. I had to put a security of mimimum 30.000 Baht into a fixed-account, which is the credit-limit for both cards together.

The monthly CC-bIlls they deduct from my savings-account - the security-money stays all the time in the fixed-account (with low interest).

Use the cards for more than 5.000 Baht during one year, and there is no fee (didn't have to pay for this year).

Can you share any more detail? Are these specific credit cards?

When I look on the BBL website

http://www.bangkokba...HowToApply.aspx

I see these requirements:

You can apply in person at any Bangkok Bank branch by bringing in the documents listed below and completing an application form:

Your citizen ID card, or passport and work permit if you're an expatriate.

A copy of your house registration (not required for an expatriate).

Proof of your income such as: a payroll slip; a letter certifying your income; a tax withholding slip; or the latest receipt for your annual personal income tax.

A copy of your savings or fixed account statement for the past six months from a bank or financial institution.

Monthly statements from your current credit cards, if any, for the past three months.

If you have your own business, also provide a copy of the registration of your company.

The fee schedule is here: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/CreditCards/Pages/TermsandConditionsall.aspx

I guess I'd like to get the Visa Classic, entrance fee 500 baht, annual fee 600 baht.

Edited by lomatopo

Can you share any more detail? Are these specific credit cards?

When I look on the BBL website

http://www.bangkokba...HowToApply.aspx

I see these requirements:

You can apply in person at any Bangkok Bank branch by bringing in the documents listed below and completing an application form:

Your citizen ID card, or passport and work permit if you're an expatriate.

A copy of your house registration (not required for an expatriate).

Proof of your income such as: a payroll slip; a letter certifying your income; a tax withholding slip; or the latest receipt for your annual personal income tax.

A copy of your savings or fixed account statement for the past six months from a bank or financial institution.

Monthly statements from your current credit cards, if any, for the past three months.

If you have your own business, also provide a copy of the registration of your company.

The fee schedule is here: http://www.bangkokba...ditionsall.aspx

I guess I'd like to get the Visa Classic, entrance fee 500 baht, annual fee 600 baht.

You are right, they did ask for a work-permit. But as I study the Thai language and got an Education Visa, I showed them my passport. They didn't know what that Visa is, phoned a couple of times to clarify if an ED-Visa is O.K. and finally it was sufficient.

I think, that they don't need the proof of income resp. work-permit as they have the full amount of the credit-limit in form of a deposit on the fixed-account - so there is no risk for the bank anyway.

They also offered me a debit-card, but I told them that I am only interested in a credit-card.

These aren't specific credit-cards. I could choose 2 out of many more Bangkok-Bank Credit Cards - I took the Platinum (Visa) and the Titanium (MasterCard).

You are right, they did ask for a work-permit. But as I study the Thai language and got an Education Visa, I showed them my passport. They didn't know what that Visa is, phoned a couple of times to clarify if an ED-Visa is O.K. and finally it was sufficient.

I think, that they don't need the proof of income resp. work-permit as they have the full amount of the credit-limit in form of a deposit on the fixed-account - so there is no risk for the bank anyway.

They also offered me a debit-card, but I told them that I am only interested in a credit-card.

These aren't specific credit-cards. I could choose 2 out of many more Bangkok-Bank Credit Cards - I took the Platinum (Visa) and the Titanium (MasterCard).

OK thanks.

Those cards have pretty hefty Entrance and Annual fees: 1,000/3,000 and 1,000/1,500 baht respectively. Your post seemed to indicate that you did not have to pay any fees? Were they waived for some reason?

What about any benefits by your card provider?

I'm not interested in air-miles and random freebies, but look for serious "purchase protection", "short-term theft insurance", and "travel accident/ delay insurance", etc, for goods/services purchased with the card.

Which Thailand-issued credit card would members recommend for this?

Edited by Morakot

Note that just as with the law, the written policies of the bank are often subject to interpretation if you get on the good side of the local manager. Not talking corruption or buddy referral or anything, just being presentable and making a good impression goes a long way.

Bangkok Bank wasn't supposed to issue a new passbook when mine was full, nor a replacement ATM due to my past visa problems, but just kept trying different branches until I found a friendly manager and he signed off on it himself no worries.

Some of us want the government to know we're out of the country. It's the only way to escape the tax slavery.

Unfortunately the yankee slaveowners don't stop taxing us even when we go to the moon.

True, as usual, yanks show the way for things to come. You were born to the state and the state will own you until you die. Unless it goes bankrupt first of course.

Some of us want the government to know we're out of the country. It's the only way to escape the tax slavery.

Unfortunately the yankee slaveowners don't stop taxing us even when we go to the moon.

Americans can't escape federal income tax, but we can escape state income tax provided we do so carefully.

Americans can't escape federal income tax, but we can escape state income tax provided we do so carefully.

Sure, since lots of states have none.

Actually haven't even thought about that, how can you be resident in a state for tax purposes if you haven't even been there except for a week or two at a time for the past fifteen years?

dam_n, another thing to deal with if I ever have to go back. . .

Sure, since lots of states have none.

Actually haven't even thought about that, how can you be resident in a state for tax purposes if you haven't even been there except for a week or two at a time for the past fifteen years?

dam_n, another thing to deal with if I ever have to go back. . .

Some states, like CA, deem your tax domicile to continue to be CA if you give evidence of an "intent to return." VA considers you a resident until such time as you establish residency in another state. There was one case of CA going after back taxes, interest, and penalties for an expat who had been living in Thailand for 17 years.

The number of states without an income tax is seven.

Some states, like CA, deem your tax domicile to continue to be CA if you give evidence of an "intent to return." VA considers you a resident until such time as you establish residency in another state. There was one case of CA going after back taxes, interest, and penalties for an expat who had been living in Thailand for 17 years.

The number of states without an income tax is seven.

And I seem to remember people back home who lived in NY talking about paying city income taxes.

I guess someone's gotta pay for all big brother's mongering.

(as in monger love not war 8-)

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

OK thanks.

Those cards have pretty hefty Entrance and Annual fees: 1,000/3,000 and 1,000/1,500 baht respectively. Your post seemed to indicate that you did not have to pay any fees? Were they waived for some reason?

I got my cards more than a year ago - Bangkok-Bank told me, that when I use them for more than 5.000 Baht during one year, they don't charge for the annunal fee.

I use both cards from time to time and didn't have to pay any fees so far (the entrance fee was waived as well).

Maybe this promotion doesn't exist anymore ...