Getting A Credit Card In Thailand...

watcharacters

OK thanks.

Those cards have pretty hefty Entrance and Annual fees: 1,000/3,000 and 1,000/1,500 baht respectively. Your post seemed to indicate that you did not have to pay any fees? Were they waived for some reason?

I got my cards more than a year ago - Bangkok-Bank told me, that when I use them for more than 5.000 Baht during one year, they don't charge for the annunal fee.

I use both cards from time to time and didn't have to pay any fees so far (the entrance fee was waived as well).

Maybe this promotion doesn't exist anymore ...

Thanks.

On one of the BBL CC-related web-pages I did just notice this statement

Card fees waived - Pay no entrance and annual credit card fees for your entire lifetime with a Bangkok Bank credit card when you spend a minimum amount of 5,000Bt each year. Click here.

The link is of course dead.

I wonder if they collect the fees up-front and then refund them when you spend 5,000 baht? Or wait until the end of the first year to charge the fees assuming you did not spend 5,000 baht?

I am still worried about fraud, so have more homework to do but I greatly appreciate your posts.

post-9615-0-43813100-1352770146_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK thanks.

Those cards have pretty hefty Entrance and Annual fees: 1,000/3,000 and 1,000/1,500 baht respectively. Your post seemed to indicate that you did not have to pay any fees? Were they waived for some reason?

I got my cards more than a year ago - Bangkok-Bank told me, that when I use them for more than 5.000 Baht during one year, they don't charge for the annunal fee.

I use both cards from time to time and didn't have to pay any fees so far (the entrance fee was waived as well).

Maybe this promotion doesn't exist anymore ...

Thanks.

On one of the BBL CC-related web-pages I did just notice this statement

Card fees waived - Pay no entrance and annual credit card fees for your entire lifetime with a Bangkok Bank credit card when you spend a minimum amount of 5,000Bt each year. Click here.

The link is of course dead.

I wonder if they collect the fees up-front and then refund them when you spend 5,000 baht? Or wait until the end of the first year to charge the fees assuming you did not spend 5,000 baht?

I am still worried about fraud, so have more homework to do but I greatly appreciate your posts.

In my case (I have the cards more than 1 year already) they didn't charge anything up-front. Because I spent more than 5.000 Baht during the first year, they didn't charge the annual fees at the end of the year, so no need to refund anything.

When I got the cards, the staff at the bank told me, that in case they charge the annual fees, I should contact them to get a refund (given that I spent over 5.000 Baht).

• 2 weeks later...

I've never had a credit card here, don't really need one, I can use my Bangkok Bank debit wherever plastic is an option, here & abroad but TIT & cash is the norm.

AS is the case with many, if not most TV BM's I suppose, I also have CC's from my home country. I only use one of them that offers "shop safe" which is nearly infallible when it comes to ID theft.

I doubt I'll ever use the Kbank card but It does provide me a greater chance to say I'm a human being in LOS even if it's in the form of a falang.

I have a friend who is going through the hoops & loops of getting a CC from KBank at the minute. He is married to a Thai, two children, own house (albiet in wife's name), two cars. His own bank accounts with the KBank for more than 8 years. Each child has their own account with the bank as well.

He works rotation outside Thailand so therefore doesn't have a WP for this country.

The wife has two credit cards, based on the security of the husband's income, and yet because of the WP clause, he cannot get his own CC. His work-round is that he uses one of his wife's which only covers partially his need of a CC from his in-country bank.

And yet me on the otherhand, based on the requirement of income and WP could get one tomorrow, and I self admittedly am not nearly as important a customer to the bank as the friend.

They really do have a strange approach to this issue, most importantly to the work permit requirement.

Yes they do!

"They really do have a strange approach to this issue, most importantly to the work permit requirement."

If you have a Thai gf who already has a credit card then you can apply to get a card issued in your name but still part of her account, a supplementary card.

I got an HSBC card this way. Have used it in the US to book and pay for hotels and car rentals with no problems.

After I receive the card, I'll arrange for Auto Pay and place a limit on it of ฿10K.

I'm doing the reverse and will get a card for the long time TGF. That works for me.

I have Kasikorn account and it is linked to my Paypal via their virtual credit card. That's all I need it for to use on-line. My Kasikorn debit ATM card works fine too.

Good approach.

I honestly doubt i'll use the Kbank CC for any purchase at all.

I use debit cards from my home country that have no fees attached for ATM transactions and for any online purchase I use the CC with the "shop safe" feature.

I want the Kbank card for establishing me in the country only. I'll adjust the limit on it as I see necessary and useful if ever.

I got mine with a tourist visa thumbsup.gif and about 30k in my acct cheesy.gif

Caveats:

I came to the branch from another branch where I had the account not quite ten years.

Had an account at my branch for about two years

Made the app with the gf who was not wife yet even

Secured card, so they can't lose. 100k down, limit 50k.

As was stated...who needs a bloody card in cashland? I love cash!

Buy plane tickets (as in 50k.plane tickets) and rent cars. Done, done and done!

Scb can be used on AA and Nok can be paid at 7. Buses can be paid at 7. I love Thailand!

Sorry I don't quite understand this below...

Would you mind explaining please?

"Scb can be used on AA and Nok can be paid at 7. Buses can be paid at 7. I love Thailand!"

My understanding is that a work permit is usually required.

However a "secured" card where your limit is lower than the cash in the account should in theory be possible.

And note there's no need to get one here, these are readily available internationally, have you maintained a forwarding address back home?

Thanks BJ,

Yeah, ""a "secured" card where your limit is lower than the cash in the account should in theory be possible"". almost think this is one of the difficulties I'm having. I'm not sure I've been able to convey this to the english speaking associates at the call center.

Again I know for sure, I've been told at the bank that my application is good and that I simple need a ฿50K fixed deposit. This is actually where the problem started. I've discovered the people who work behind the desks at the Kbank branches are not necessarily astute when it comes to job performance. An older fellow (50+) took my application two months ago on Sept 24. I made a deposit at the bank in my savings account and also told him I wanted to deposit the 50K for the fixed deposit towards a credit card application. He took down all the information for my application. One month later I called to find out the status of my application and learned the man didn't put the 50K in a fixed deposit towards a CC application so my application was rejected. The lady at the call center had trouble getting the words out that I'd ben rejected for the CC. It was almost comical to hear her.

If you asked to deposit 50K in a fixed account, didn't you hang around to get the bank book. Did they just take your 50K and keep it? I'm not surprised they don't understand you, because you're not making much sense. As for wanting a credit card but not wanting to use it, it is the most ridiculous thing I've heard. Banks don't exists to pander to people like you. If I was in charge there I'd reject your application. You are just wasting your time, their time and our time. Time to forget about it and move on.

HI DAve, I'm so sorry you didn't understand the posts I've made. I never once said i "asked" to deposit 50K in a fixed account. I was simply told that's the requirement.

Just for your understanding after 3 months, I still don't have a "book" for that fixed account deposit but I do see it online.

AGAIN, I'm dreadfully sorry if you don't like my reason for wanting the card. I honestly wasn't seeking your approval. I wonder why you read threads that upset you so much. I don't find that a very intelligent thing to do. YOu get the prize for being the first and only poster who chose to be aggressive and negative.

I wasn't asking the bank to pander to me but I do hope a company that deals with the public has rules and requirements that are employed universally to it's customer base. I'm sorry you felt I implied differently. Maybe you should reread the thread and especially my posts.

On a less moderated forum I'd politely ask you to bend over as far as you can and see if you can observe a hole where your head should be firmly planted but being as this is TV i won't do that.

Have a wonderful day DAve. You truly sound like a delightful person I'd love to meet.

Cheers,

P.S. Please forgive me for anything I've done or will do that does not meet with your expectations or approval. I do so much seek your approval. <deleted> this is a simple thread about a CC application and I thought it would not stir up a S. fest with any BM. You proved me wrong. Congratulations!

"If you asked to deposit 50K in a fixed account, didn't you hang around to get the bank book. Did they just take your 50K and keep it? I'm not surprised they don't understand you, because you're not making much sense. As for wanting a credit card but not wanting to use it, it is the most ridiculous thing I've heard. Banks don't exists to pander to people like you. If I was in charge there I'd reject your application. You are just wasting your time, their time and our time. Time to forget about it and move on."

Edited by watcharacters

If this is the case of K bank, it seems intresting for me as I am their one of the biggest customer with huge daily transaction.

I and my partner are doing trading business on 'O' and 'B' visa resp. and banking on Kasikorn bank and Bangkok bank, lets see if we can avail OD, BG, DC or LC on only company registration documents without WP.

Thanks for very useful information.

That's quite an accomplishment to be one of their "biggest" daily customers. Sounds like computer generated trading.

Good luck.

Before securing any credit card here in Thailand, beware of the lack of fraud protection.

I have a K-Bank credit card, which i did need a W/P to secure.

Unfortunately my credit limit is rather high, and recently over the past few weeks there has been some

on-line fraudulent activity with my card. (a dozen times with NO SMS alerts)

To cut it short i have had to jump through many hoops to try and prove to K-Bank that i am not responsible

for this activity, and i'm still unsure if they will cover the losses.

The fraud protection from your home country is invaluable.

I also have a Thai Amex (needed a W/P for this too) and they operate to international standards so i

would recommend them over Visa (no yearly fees if you ask them nicely to waive)

Thanks for the "heads up" robbiecia. You've given good information to the forum. I am aware of the lack of protection about a CC in Thailand. AS I've said several times i doubt I'll ue the card and so maybe I'll need to pay an annual fee for having it. I never asked about a fee for the card but will take it in stride if there is one. I'll be the first time I've ever paid a fee for a card in my life if there is a fee. It's not an issue for me.

AS I've mentioned I'll have a very low ฿10K limit on the card. I'll use " shop safe" whenever I use a CC online and other than that I only use cash.

I monitor my bank in my home country and check the CC regularly. I don't want to give crooks any opportunity at all if I can help it.

Thank you again for the positive and informative post for the benefit of all.

YOU are the kind of member of TV that makes it a valuable forum.

What about any benefits by your card provider?

I'm not interested in air-miles and random freebies, but look for serious "purchase protection", "short-term theft insurance", and "travel accident/ delay insurance", etc, for goods/services purchased with the card.

Which Thailand-issued credit card would members recommend for this?

Before securing any credit card here in Thailand, beware of the lack of fraud protection.

I have a K-Bank credit card, which i did need a W/P to secure.

Unfortunately my credit limit is rather high, and recently over the past few weeks there has been some

on-line fraudulent activity with my card. (a dozen times with NO SMS alerts)

To cut it short i have had to jump through many hoops to try and prove to K-Bank that i am not responsible

for this activity, and i'm still unsure if they will cover the losses.

The fraud protection from your home country is invaluable.

I also have a Thai Amex (needed a W/P for this too) and they operate to international standards so i

would recommend them over Visa (no yearly fees if you ask them nicely to waive)

What about any benefits by your card provider?

I'm not interested in air-miles and random freebies, but look for serious "purchase protection", "short-term theft insurance", and "travel accident/ delay insurance", etc, for goods/services purchased with the card.

Which Thailand-issued credit card would members recommend for this?

I'd be interested in this information as well.

I have absolutely no expectation of any consumer protection of a CC from Kbank or any other LOS bank if the CC is issued in LOS.

• Like 1

Some of us want the government to know we're out of the country. It's the only way to escape the tax slavery.

Unfortunately the yankee slaveowners don't stop taxing us even when we go to the moon.

True, as usual, yanks show the way for things to come. You were born to the state and the state will own you until you die. Unless it goes bankrupt first of course.

I've lost track here.

My understanding is any USA citizen will pay and continue to pay Federal taxes. State taxes are a different matter.

Several states upon my last check do not have an income tax.

Americans can't escape federal income tax, but we can escape state income tax provided we do so carefully.

Sure, since lots of states have none.

Actually haven't even thought about that, how can you be resident in a state for tax purposes if you haven't even been there except for a week or two at a time for the past fifteen years?

dam_n, another thing to deal with if I ever have to go back. . .

For my last taxes, a CPA told me a brief stay qualifies the state to demand payment of state income taxes.

Correct or not? who knows?

Some of us want the government to know we're out of the country. It's the only way to escape the tax slavery.

Unfortunately the yankee slaveowners don't stop taxing us even when we go to the moon.

I do pay federal taxes to the USA government. I hope to not pay state taxes any more as I no longer live in the USA. I don't have negative feelings about the USA. Every government has some good points and some not so good. I think I've been to a few countries (quite a few really) and overall even if I'd like everything to be as I want it if I was the emperor, the states is not the complete sh..s as alleged by so many. There are worst places to be and be from.

But back to the credit card application thread please.

I have new information but it is only a promise.

So basically by putting money on deposit and then getting a secured credit card, you are borrowing your own money.

The OP made it clear he doesn't need/want the actual credit.

Renting a car, booking flights and hotel rooms etc can be difficult with only debit cards, it's true that some circles in the earlier-developed countries tend to treat those without credit facilities as sub-human.

I have a Thai debit card, and had no problems using it online, both in Thailand and abroad.

So if the OP doesn't need the credit, he can ask for a debit card.

I'm a nobody in Thailand and a nobody anywhere. I'm not wealthy or important. I want to continue to be good to my TGF who is good to me now for a long time.

I have the same fears and anxiety that probably many members of this board and expats in general in Thailand have. How much is enough money. I'm happy to cash out but then what? There is no answer. If inflation takes charge of everything or delation rears it's ugly head things change drastically. Probably few people have a good understanding.

I try to let these fears subside and move forward as the poster John something said I should do. that's not easy. Maybe he lives an ascetic life and enjoys looking at tea leafs. I don't know.

I am OK to move forward and try my best to get along and live and let live.

_____

Over the last couple of days, I've gotten a number of calls from Kbank.

I pulled the one and only Ace card I had. I called a person who gave excellent service at the call center of Kbank.

He looked into my account and followed up on the information. I;'ve received three calls today and have =been "promised" the card willl be in the mail Monday.

Prior to calling him on my 7th visit I was told I need to got to another branch to provide copies of my new retirement visa. That was a sad thing. so untrue. and yeah and I also needed a work permit. Anything else John? The call center person I subsequently called said I should be angry to get that bad customer service. Go to a different branch of the bank in the same city? Now that is a silly option but maybe John thinks it's a great idea.

I've been told several times at both the branch and especially the call centre I needed new information to give to the bank. I thought it would never end. They have at least 30 - 40 copies of everything about me. copies were not the problem.

The problem was the lack of knowledge and understanding of the employees of he bank.

I have full faith the bank caper will end up with my TGF looking in the mailbox as she does daily and finding a bank card there.

I hope others can get some worthwhile information from this thread.

I should not have replied the the John something poster I should have ignored him. he pushed a silly button and I should have ignored him. I will put him on ignore as I've done to another seriously negative poster.

I thank you one and all for this thread and for your contribution

• 2 weeks later...

I may have found the actual Thai regulations here:

http://www.amlo.go.t...CDD 2012 0812(2).pdf

Yesterday Siam Bank told me they now only open accounts with WP, marraige, or retirement visa.

What is it with Thailand and the magical retirement age of 50???? Why is it so hard for them to understand that some people can retire under the age of 50?

Why can't they create a long term visa for under 50's who can prove a 65,000 baht a month income from back home or 800,000 baht in the bank for more than 2 months, just like the over 50's????

Never met anyone under 50 who is officially retired, a few over 55 who are self funded

and have no intention of working here, that's what its about

I think I've read all the replies to this thread, at least i hope I did. I did send one person A PM and explained why I decided to put him on ignore.

This has not been a fun thing for me to apply for and get a credit card.

I've made 7 personal trips to the banks (two branches ) and made so many calls to the call center I lost track.

I realize TIT but at the same time i also understand Thailand is like a water balloon or a tube of toothpaste. If you squeeze it at one point it gets bigger somewhere else. It's in a constant state of flux depending... Regulations have zero importance. It's all up to the here and now. That means not only in this instance, the branch and the person but how that person feels at this moment. Not point in showing regulations to a person who makes a decision. They make the decision outside of the rules and regulations.

I did receive my credit card but only after I pulled my one and only ace I had in the card game. I called a person in the call center I helped in the past. He assured me the card would be send within a few days and it did happen. He also said I could call back the call center once I received my card and get service on three requests I wanted to make.

Those requests were:

1) I want to limit my card to ฿10,000

2) I want a second card for my TGF.

3) I want auto pay from my savings account.

The customer service person I talked with after I received my card said he could only limit the card. He said I needed to make an 8th trip to the bank. My friend at the call center said earlier it could all be done on the phone but I won't call him back. He did well for me. I'm not going to tax his helpfulness.

Customer service and product knowledge is a rare thing in the Kingdom. My longtime TGF takes it in stride and as long as she and her countrymen do, it will continue to be a rare commodity.

I'm satisfied as far as my goal is concerned. My time is limited only by the time I die. I do wish the bank would pay for taxi to make unnecessary trips but that is really said in jest. I can hardly believe that to borrow my money with a card it's been the challenge it's been.

Did I mention TIT?

I've never asked about a fee for this card but i'm fine and willing to pay it even though I don't plan to use the card.

Thank you one and all for reading and replying...