Getting A Credit Card In Thailand...

watcharacters

I've been told by the Kasikorn Bank call center it's OK for me to have a credit card with a non immigrant O or is it N visa (retirement visa). I was also told this at the Jomtien KBank branch.

The requirements I was led to believe I needed is to have ฿50K in a fixed deposit account. I've given my house lease and immigration information. They've already made approximately 25 copies of my passport pages including the actual photo of the passport itself. The call center told me yesterday I needed a work permit. No reply as to why my application was accepted when it was known full well I don't work but rather am retired. The call center yesterday also told me the paperwork was just received on Oct 29th after I called on the 21st of Oct. to learn the paperwork was "just now" in BAngkok since on the 19th of Oct. And they need more copies of my passport... I applied around the middle of September.

Without going into too many details of the obstacles I've encountered, can anyone tell me if having a credit card is even possible? I only want it for establishing me more as an human existence in Thailand and not as a credit instrument. I've let them know I won't be using it but will pay fees to have it.

Any hoops I should know about?

Edit.. spelling.

TIA

Edited by watcharacters

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding is that a work permit is usually required.

However a "secured" card where your limit is lower than the cash in the account should in theory be possible.

And note there's no need to get one here, these are readily available internationally, have you maintained a forwarding address back home?

On some of the K-Bank web-pages they do have the following re: credit cards:

If the applicant is a foreign national, a copy of valid passport, visa and work permit are required and applicant must earn an income at least THB50,000 per month

Maybe telling them you wanted a credit card, but would not be using it, confused them?

K-Bank have a credit card application form that only requires a 50k baht fixed deposit if you have had an account for more than six months, no work permit needed. Deposit refunded if you cancel the facility. It's available for O visa holders who have a retirement extension, assume same would apply for marriage extensions. Do not know the monthly spend limit.

So basically by putting money on deposit and then getting a secured credit card, you are borrowing your own money.

I do know of some people who have unsecured credit cards without a work permit, but I think they are the exception to the rule.

If you just want one as some sort of ID then, as has already been pointed out, a debit card with your name embossed should suffice, as would a Thai driving licence.

It's much better to get and maintain a credit card from a bank back home, even if you don't live there but live in Thailand instead. The interest rates may very well be lower, the credit limits MUCH higher, the criteria for applying and receiving a card much easier, the ease of paying off the card etc. etc. make it a much better option than even bothering to apply for a credit card in Thailand. Sure, there are disadvantages like having to send money abroad to pay the credit card, but it may even be possible to have a Thailand mailing address while maintaining a foreign bank's credit card.

It's much better to get and maintain a credit card from a bank back home, even if you don't live there but live in Thailand instead. The interest rates may very well be lower, the credit limits MUCH higher, the criteria for applying and receiving a card much easier, the ease of paying off the card etc. etc. make it a much better option than even bothering to apply for a credit card in Thailand. Sure, there are disadvantages like having to send money abroad to pay the credit card, but it may even be possible to have a Thailand mailing address while maintaining a foreign bank's credit card.

Yes but I believe the OPs in a situation similar to myself where we can no longer avail ourselves of such first-world luxuries. . .

It's seriously important to maintain relationships and standing with the "home" country banking community and not burn bridges, even Hong Kong and Singapore wnat secured credit cards in most cases so difficult to achieve elsewhere otherwise.

It's seriously important to maintain relationships and standing with the "home" country banking community and not burn bridges, even Hong Kong and Singapore wnat secured credit cards in most cases so difficult to achieve elsewhere otherwise.

In my case getting on thirty years too late for that.

One day I'll have to contact the IRS and let them know I'm still alive but. . .

• Like 1

So basically by putting money on deposit and then getting a secured credit card, you are borrowing your own money.

The OP made it clear he doesn't need/want the actual credit.

Yes I realise that, but for those who do take on a secured credit card my comment applies.

The OP wants some sort of ID, that's why I added the remark about the driving licence being an option.

I love having a Thai credit card. No need to carry a lot of cash, no transaction fees, no 3% hit on the exchange rate, frequent-flyer miles for every thing I buy and a record of everything I buy, what's no to like? Why would you not want to use one?

No fraud protection. I use US credit cards only, several of which do not charge a foreign transaction fee. Plus I get a 1% rebate on everything. Thai credit cards are the worst possible deal.

My understanding is that a work permit is usually required.

However a "secured" card where your limit is lower than the cash in the account should in theory be possible.

And note there's no need to get one here, these are readily available internationally, have you maintained a forwarding address back home?

Thanks BJ,

Yeah, ""a "secured" card where your limit is lower than the cash in the account should in theory be possible"". almost think this is one of the difficulties I'm having. I'm not sure I've been able to convey this to the english speaking associates at the call center.

Again I know for sure, I've been told at the bank that my application is good and that I simple need a ฿50K fixed deposit. This is actually where the problem started. I've discovered the people who work behind the desks at the Kbank branches are not necessarily astute when it comes to job performance. An older fellow (50+) took my application two months ago on Sept 24. I made a deposit at the bank in my savings account and also told him I wanted to deposit the 50K for the fixed deposit towards a credit card application. He took down all the information for my application. One month later I called to find out the status of my application and learned the man didn't put the 50K in a fixed deposit towards a CC application so my application was rejected. The lady at the call center had trouble getting the words out that I'd ben rejected for the CC. It was almost comical to hear her.

Ive had an account with K Bank for 6 years.. last year I tried to get a Credit Card for online purchases such as flights, hotel bookings etc etc however they said I could not get one without a Work Permit..

They did however tell me about the K-Web Credit Card which is a virtual Credit Card & the details can be listed on your K Cyber Banking. You have all the numbers etc but no actual Card to carry around but it allows you to make any online purchases & when checking in at the Airport you are never asked to produce the Credit Card you purchased the flights.. I imagine the transaction must just look like a Debit Card Purchase on the books.

A few days after the purchase, the K-Web Card will just deduct the amount from your Savings Account... does the job for me..

• Like 1

I have a Thai American express an its tied to my Thai airlines mileage so I love it,

Have had it for over 15 years so no idea what u need to get one

I don't even know what the interest rate is as i pay it off each month

Hi phuketrichard,

That sounds like a good arrangement for you. I've never known or cared what a bank's interest charge is either. I've never liked to write checks and deal with monthly payments so whenever possible, I have recurring items set up on an auto pay plan.

To my recollection I've never paid an annual fee for a CC card and that's over the course of four plus decades. I thought American Express charged an annual fee. I do believe the A.E. has a number of good benefits for card holders but I was also under the impression the company required the balance be paid off each month anyway. I've probably mixed this idea up with some other company.

I like the idea of getting milage with an airline but one of the drawbacks of that is it may limit one in selecting a flight unless the airlines have a program to share milage. I recently flew on Nok Air and it was pretty much the only choice available. Overall, I won't be making a boatload of long distance flights as I live in LOS.

The one CC I use simply gives me 2% cash refund on whatever I charge which is not a lot since I rarely use the card.

Ive had an account with K Bank for 6 years.. last year I tried to get a Credit Card for online purchases such as flights, hotel bookings etc etc however they said I could not get one without a Work Permit..

They did however tell me about the K-Web Credit Card which is a virtual Credit Card & the details can be listed on your K Cyber Banking. You have all the numbers etc but no actual Card to carry around but it allows you to make any online purchases & when checking in at the Airport you are never asked to produce the Credit Card you purchased the flights.. I imagine the transaction must just look like a Debit Card Purchase on the books.

A few days after the purchase, the K-Web Card will just deduct the amount from your Savings Account... does the job for me..

Thanks saramsland for your reply.

It sounds as if you are actually using the K Bank card on line as you intended. MY goal is actually a little different than what yours was. I want the CC as a part of establishing myself in LOS and SEA. I don't have an interest in using the card.

As far as online transactions is concerned, other than airlines, I use what's called "shop safe" which is a generated CC # with a specific amount and time frame and given to use by one agent for a one time use. I think it's pretty good at reducing exposure to ID theft.

The OP made it clear he doesn't need/want the actual credit.

Renting a car, booking flights and hotel rooms etc can be difficult with only debit cards, it's true that some circles in the earlier-developed countries tend to treat those without credit facilities as sub-human.

Thanks BigJohnny for the reply,

I have no issue as to how I've been treated in LOS but I'd like to make it easier for those with whom I encounter to be more comfortable with the documents and ID I can show them. LOS seems to love documentation and I doubt there could ever be enough or too much

I do know of some people who have unsecured credit cards without a work permit, but I think they are the exception to the rule.

If you just want one as some sort of ID then, as has already been pointed out, a debit card with your name embossed should suffice, as would a Thai driving licence.

I have both the Thai Drivers license as well as a debit card that K Bank gave me with my name on it. I'm retired in LOS and want to establish myself in the eyes of Thais' as a person who is here.

While I'll likely never be accepted culturally perhaps i can do whatever's possible to have a legitimate presence in the eyes of business and government agencies.

It's a challenge but I've never shied away from challenges.

Thanks Tomtomtom69,

BAnks seem to always give me cards, debit or credit, with a two year expiration date. On my last trip to my home country I was able to legitimately convince the banks it would be in both our interest to extend my expiration date for cards another year. It was not easy but they did it.

I think one has to maintain a physical address in one's home country credit card and banking wise. I do that but in actuality I'm not there and don't have tea leaf reading qualifications. I'm happy with my home country CC's and will maintain them. The protection given by Visa and MasterCard is great. I like the features they offer as opposed to debit cards.

They provide the antithesis of what kind of consumer protection we all get anywhere in SEA.

edit...spelling

Edited by watcharacters

I have a Thai American express an its tied to my Thai airlines mileage so I love it,

Hi phuketrichard,

That sounds like a good arrangement for you. I've never known or cared what a bank's interest charge is either. I've never liked to write checks and deal with monthly payments so whenever possible, I have recurring items set up on an auto pay plan.

To my recollection I've never paid an annual fee for a CC card and that's over the course of four plus decades. I thought American Express charged an annual fee. I do believe the A.E. has a number of good benefits for card holders but I was also under the impression the company required the balance be paid off each month anyway. I've probably mixed this idea up with some other company.

I like the idea of getting milage with an airline but one of the drawbacks of that is it may limit one in selecting a flight unless the airlines have a program to share milage. I recently flew on Nok Air and it was pretty much the only choice available. Overall, I won't be making a boatload of long distance flights as I live in LOS.

The one CC I use simply gives me 2% cash refund on whatever I charge which is not a lot since I rarely use the card.

Yes; I pay about 1,500 baht /year for the AmEx, all my US cc are free.

With the AmEx since i am getting mileage its a winner and it is a cc and does not HAVE to be paid off but i always do :-)

The card is valid for 4 years

my us cards are usually 3

PS; another advantage of having a Thai cc is that i was able to get a post Paid plan with my ais sim for my phone

Edited by phuketrichard

Hi phuketrichard,

Yes; I pay about 1,500 baht /year for the AmEx, all my US cc are free.

With the AmEx since i am getting mileage its a winner and it is a cc and does not HAVE to be paid off but i always do :-)

PS; another advantage of having a Thai cc is that i am able to get a post Paid plan with my ais sim for my phone

AS I mentioned, I think what you have with your situation is a good thing for you. I honestly don't fly a lot. The next flight I'll take will be for me and the TGF to a neighboring country, and I'll look for the best flight arrangement for us in terms of price and schedule.

I buy loads of cards for the phone ( Dtac, True Move) for the TGF as well as me and keep them in my wallet and in reserve but I get your point. I like the cards as opposed to the point of purchase program as I always have the card with me for credit even if i don't want to go to a 7-11.

You have a good thing going for you, I think.