Masaman Curry

alaninlamphun

1. Start with thick coconut milk - if buying it from the market, use only the first extraction. Don't even think of using "reduced fat" coconut milk from a tin - it's an abomination.

2. Make sure you crack the coconut cream properly and fry the paste in that - not in oil.

3. Use the correct quantity of paste - don't skimp.

4. Cook the potatoes in the curry, rather than boiling them and adding them later - they give off starch which helps thicken the sauce.

5. Simmer the curry without a lid on the pan.

• Like 1

1. Start with thick coconut milk - if buying it from the market, use only the first extraction. Don't even think of using "reduced fat" coconut milk from a tin - it's an abomination.

2. Make sure you crack the coconut cream properly and fry the paste in that - not in oil.

4. Cook the potatoes in the curry, rather than boiling them and adding them later - they give off starch which helps thicken the sauce.

I use coconut CREAM not milk - I find that does very well.

So do I. (You may care to check point 2 in what I wrote.) However, if you use only coconut cream, the finished result is far too rich and most certainly not "correct".

If you are looking for a reasonably quick one meal deal, ROI THAI makes a fairly good masaman curry base with the coconut milk already added. I buy it in tesco where the spices are sold, it's in a box like coconut milk. Add one de-boned, skinned,cut up chicken leg and a small cut up potato. Stir often. Comes out thick and quite good with rice and some crushed peanuts. When we kill some chickens and I make it from scratch it seems that I always have enough to feed the whole village which is usually happpens, the pot goes away and comes back clean.

So do I. (You may care to check point 2 in what I wrote.) However, if you use only coconut cream, the finished result is far too rich and most certainly not "correct".

Beg to differ - I find that the tins of coconut cream do give me the consistency I like. These are the ones I buy in UK and possibly not as thick as the ones in Thailand, although they are bought from a Thai importer (Aroy-D is the brand) I also use "Mae Ploy" brand paste.

Anyway, IMO, food is like music - there is no "correct" - only what you like or what you don't! thumbsup.gif

Edited by VBF