Am I Being Overly Sensitive Or ....

McMagus

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You assume someone is ignorant or disrespectful because they don't care what others think about them?

It's not so much of what others think of them, but what they think of others.

That is fine, anyone who would judge me based on my choice of clothes doesn't deserve my respect.

I wasn't talking about how anyone dresses, other than dressing appropriately for your situation. Personally, I find it offensive to see some shirtless, flabby, pasty, tattooed yob wandering around a shopping centre. They would be thrown out by security in their home country probably.

So it's the fat, and tattoos, and the person's social class, and lack of a tan that are as important as the shirt?

Would it be OK for me - reasonably middle class, portly rather than flabby, and with a trace of colour about myself, to doff my shirt in the mall? We should not expect higher standards of others just because they're ugly

SC

You assume someone is ignorant or disrespectful because they don't care what others think about them?

That is fine, anyone who would judge me based on my choice of clothes doesn't deserve my respect.

Respectable and respectful behaviour is about how we behave, not our opinion of strangers. Contempt for the opinion of others shows our own ignorance, not those whom we hold in contempt.

SC

Ya

post-73727-0-84623900-1352692017_thumb.j

I wasn't talking about how anyone dresses, other than dressing appropriately for your situation. Personally, I find it offensive to see some shirtless, flabby, pasty, tattooed yob wandering around a shopping centre. They would be thrown out by security in their home country probably.

So it's the fat, and tattoos, and the person's social class, and lack of a tan that are as important as the shirt?

Would it be OK for me - reasonably middle class, portly rather than flabby, and with a trace of colour about myself, to doff my shirt in the mall? We should not expect higher standards of others just because they're ugly

SC

Actually fun to see Giddyup comment on others, you should see how crazy he gets when you say something age related. Something about stones and glass houses.

Bah too many quotes and I don't want to sort it out...so to answer BigJohnnyBKK's questions.

I actually try to not offend others. So no I'm not defending someone who sticks their hairy armpit in someones face.

As for your other question, no I don't see it as disrespectful. It would only be so if their opinion held some weight, if they had done something to deserve respect.

I think people are reading too much into how they perceive the way "Thais think".

yep, in general, people who are busy with their life don't think too much about strangers, unless they get directly involved.

I remember sitting in a bus close to a huge, fat, smelling and sweaty guy who was falling asleep on my shoulder.

I poked him gently twice, the third time not so gently, i could hear the distinct knock of his head against the window glass.

He stared at me and i stared at him, i hope he learned something.

Ya

Nice of you to finally post a picture of yourself. Your a brave man.

My long-lost twin!

But ill be honest, IMHO its not the most attractive site i have ever seen. I don't like tattoo's myself and think he has overdone it. But its his choice.

Bah too many quotes and I don't want to sort it out...so to answer BigJohnnyBKK's questions.

I actually try to not offend others. So no I'm not defending someone who sticks their hairy armpit in someones face.

As for your other question, no I don't see it as disrespectful. It would only be so if their opinion held some weight, if they had done something to deserve respect.

How do you know which strangers have done something worthy of respect?

Are you a brown-noser who tries to impress those whose opinion i worthy of respect?

What if someone whose opinion is worthy of respect is watching you from concealment?

Personally, I find it easier to try to behave respectably, rather than worrying about the opinions of others.

I imagine that McMagus' problem originates from a difference in what he considers respectable in Thailand, with what our tourist compatriots consider respectable, through their lack of familiarity with Thai culture and the sartorial standards of mass transit in the Kingdom

SC

I try to live my life assuming my fellow human beings all deserve at least a certain minimum level of respect, until they prove otherwise.

The way people look should not offend people unless they are physically doing something to you. Else your overly sensitive (extremes excluded of course like disrespectful in places of religion ect)

I wonder if the guys who worry about their image look down on all Thais when they see a bar girl. Or that they are smart enough to know that Thais also know the difference between types of foreigners and the Thais that don't are ignorant.

I try to live my life assuming my fellow human beings all deserve at least a certain minimum level of respect, until they prove otherwise.

Like I said I try not to offend others, however that is different from respecting them.

How do you know which strangers have done something worthy of respect?

Are you a brown-noser who tries to impress those whose opinion i worthy of respect?

What if someone whose opinion is worthy of respect is watching you from concealment?

Personally, I find it easier to try to behave respectably, rather than worrying about the opinions of others.

Anyone I respect won't be judging me based on my actions :)

They will be judging me based on my accomplishments. As such I don't try to impress them, I just live my life and either do things worth respect (or not).

I wonder if the OP is as horrified when he sees a badly dressed Thai?

I think he highlighted some feeling of compatriotism, as it were, with other foreigners, believing that Thais group us all together as 'farang' and don't diffierentiate between the myriad states and principalities from whence we hail; and therefore that the disreputable demeanour of some foreigners reflects on us all

SC

• Like 1

I think he highlighted some feeling of compatriotism, as it were, with other foreigners, believing that Thais group us all together as 'farang' and don't diffierentiate between the myriad states and principalities from whence we hail; and therefore that the disreputable demeanour of some foreigners reflects on us all

SC

Well bless his cotton socks.

If that's the case then may I apologise for my behaviour these last few decades....

SC

Well bless his cotton socks.

If that's the case then may I apologise for my behaviour these last few decades....

Without you and I, someone else would have to be the worst

SC

I think that says it all and for those who have a so what? I’ll do as I please and couldn’t give a rat’s behind what anyone else thinks attitude, that’s their choice, but it`s certainly not an advantage.

Just the opposite, if you truly have that attitude you are more likely to have success in life. The ability to ignore or question protocols and behaviors is what actually drives innovation.

Thinking outside the box is a bit different than being ignorant and disrespectful of the culture to which you are a visitor.

Oh please! Enough!

I start to be scared for the poor Thais- soul, being exposed to so much indifference and ignoring their "culture".

...like chewing, noisily with their mouth open, snorting and spitting everywhere they go (including restaurants), their constant screaming soap operas and...oh yes...the smell of garlic and moth- powder, the constant line-jumping and pushing in and out elevators, BTS or escalators....

As much as I understand that there are fashion- crimes that are like fingernails on a black- board and some behavior that I would find offensive in any part of the world...please stop wrapping the poor, poor Thais in cotton.

I go to their temples and dress appropriate, as I do in the office and on official appointments.

Mind you, I even try to dress halfway nice in my freetime.

But if I choose to wear sleeveless over my tattooed arms and my rather big belly in my private time, that is my decission.

As much as it is their decission, that flipp- flopps are appropriate at office- meetings!

editet for spelling

Edited by DocN

Oh please! Enough!

I start to be scared for the poor Thais- soul, being exposed to so much indifference and ignoring their "culture".

...like chewing, noisily with their mouth open, snorting and spitting everywhere they go (including restaurants), their constant screaming soap operas and...oh yes...the smell of garlic and moth- powder, the constant line-jumping and pushing in and out elevators, BTS or escalators....

As much as I understand that there are fashion- crimes that are like fingernails on a black- board and some behavior that I would find offensive in any part of the world...please stop wrapping the poor, poor Thais in cotton.

I go to their temples and dress appropriate, as I do in the office and on official appointments.

But if I choose to wear sleeveless over my tattooed arms and my rather big belly in my private time, that is my decission.

As much as it is their decission, that flipp- flopps are appropriate at office- meetings!

editet for spelling

That's exactly the sort of generalisation that makes the OP cringe. You condemn an entire nation for some more or less widespread habits that upset your sensibilities.

It's very hard for us to see our own prejudices, though perhaps by flaunting them, others may see their own ignorance in your post

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

Oh please! Enough!

editet for spelling

That's exactly the sort of generalisation that makes the OP cringe. You condemn an entire nation for some more or less widespread habits that upset your sensibilities.

It's very hard for us to see our own prejudices, though perhaps by flaunting them, others may see their own ignorance in your post

SC

I don't condem anyone!

I know that is what "they" do, as much as waering Singha- muscle shirts over tattooed arms, smelling sweaty...is what "we" do!

But when people start to tell me, I should act "thai" all the time, because I am on holiday here- otherwise I harm the poor soul of the Thais- ...that is just taking it too far!

Oh please! Enough!

editet for spelling

SC

I don't condem anyone!

I know that is what "they" do, as much as waering Singha- muscle shirts over tattooed arms, smelling sweaty...is what "we" do!

But when people start to tell me, I should act "thai" all the time, because I am on holiday here- otherwise I harm the poor soul of the Thais- ...that is just taking it too far!

There's no need to act Thai, but surely it's not asking too much to expect visitors to shine their shoes and wear a collar and tie when travelling on the Mass Transit? I understand that on holiday, one may forego the bowler hat and pinstripes...

• Like 1

I cringe at my behavior all the time.

Forgetting and putting my foot across my knee when sitting on a chair.

At home with a Thai friend and forgetting and putting my leg up on the table.

Wearing wife beaters to class because it is hot.

Unshaven in class.

Talking too loudly.

I do bathe every day though.