Am I Being Overly Sensitive Or ....

McMagus

Walking around un-shaven isn't being a slob, it's being in style, only men who shave daily are out of touch or have patchy facial hair. The generally disleveled look is in style in the US at least.

As for clothes, shorts and a tank top (I refuse to call it a singlet which are the uniforms wrestlers wear) are practical wear for some activities. Unlike people in Thailand we dress based on what we plan to do, not to impress others.

I never said anything about unshaven? Obviously handsome young guys can get away with anything, and people who are actually concerned about their appearance whatever the fashion, purple hair and facial spikes or whatever, are obviously not what we're talking about.

I believe people are objecting to those that are inherently unattractive to start with, especially us old fat guys, and then compound the problem by paying absolutely no attention to the overall impression they make.

I completely agree none of the above is worthy of real disdain - the much more valid issues to me here are body odor and hoisting your arm up to expose those smelly and hairy armpits in crowded confined spaces.

Regarding your last point, if you're on the way to the gym for a workout or a stripper on her way to work, there are changing facilities at your destination.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One scene I witnessed a few months ago was so incredibly embarrassing that I’ve never forgotten it.

I was in a KFC and sitting not far away from me was a young farang couple, probably tourists. The guy I guess about 30 years old and his girlfriend around early 20s.

They were sitting at a very small square metal table with a chair on each side. The girl was wearing short, shorts. She had both her feet up on the chair, her knees about up to her neck level and her legs spread wide apart. They were in conversation and the guys head was practically in-between her legs as they were talking, his eyes pointing directly at her crutch. Everyone was staring in disbelief, including the staff. It was a most cringe worthy and embarrassing scene and I can’t ever recall seeing anything like that even in my own country.

There are such things are protocol and code of behaviours, which these people seem to be lacking and is particularly noticeable in Thailand where appear to really stand out.

One scene I witnessed a few months ago was so incredibly embarrassing that I’ve never forgotten it.

I was in a KFC and sitting not far away from me was a young farang couple, probably tourists. The guy I guess about 30 years old and his girlfriend around early 20s.

They were sitting at a very small square metal table with a chair on each side. The girl was wearing short, shorts. She had both her feet up on the chair, her knees about up to her neck level and her legs spread wide apart. They were in conversation and the guys head was practically in-between her legs as they were talking, his eyes pointing directly at her crutch. Everyone was staring in disbelief, including the staff. It was a most cringe worthy and embarrassing scene and I can’t ever recall seeing anything like that even in my own country.

There are such things are protocol and code of behaviours, which these people seem to be lacking and is particularly noticeable in Thailand where appear to really stand out.

OK, but your original comment was just the usual stereotypical diatribe against older farangs with bargirls, something that you seem to have a big problem with.

• Like 1

You would think the folks in Chiang Mai would be used to it by now. If you want the backpacker tourists that's the kind of stuff you have to put up with. Pattaya gets naked Russian ladies on the beach. We all have our crosses to bear. whistling.gif

You would think the folks in Chiang Mai would be used to it by now. If you want the backpacker tourists that's the kind of stuff you have to put up with. Pattaya gets naked Russian ladies on the beach. We all have our crosses to bear. whistling.gif

WHERE?

WHERE?

Dongtan and Jomtien beach.

WHERE?

http://pattayamail.c...19/news05.shtml

post-73727-0-30438000-1352687512_thumb.j

OK, but your original comment was just the usual stereotypical diatribe against older farangs with bargirls, something that you seem to have a big problem with.

I think its young people, and old people, who are mostly to blame. Us middle-aged blokes are usually the epitome of sartorial elegance and discreet polity.

Of course, you'd perspire a bit if you had to cart round the size of gut I have to, and I'd cringe too if someone came onto the BTS with the steam rising off their healthy glow after a brisk walk. Actually, I doI cringe, and normally look around, hoping people will think it's someone else sweating, not me. Perhaps I could distract attention by letting rip a creaser of a fart and then staring at someone...

I do think if someone's going to wear a sleeveless top, then they ought be legally obliged to shave their oxters

SC

I always find the sight of farangs embarrassing when I am out.

I’m seen them walking with some Thai women that have the appearances of bargirls on they’re day off, fondling the girls asses as they walk about, some look as if they think they’re on the beach, wearing dirty vests, tatty shorts and cheap plastic flip flops, others I been unfortunate enough to be sharing the same space with in a public place, have been unshaven, dirty greasy hair and literally stink to high heaven.

The most cringe making is when you see some aging, fat, grey haired or balding, gross gut bucket farang walking hand in hand with a young Thai girl that looks no more than 16 years old wearing thick make up, bright red lipstick and hot pants looking like some slut he has just pick up from school.

Others that are tall and skinny, with body tattoos and piercings from head to toe walking with some young sluttish looking Thai girl and the old men that look like dirty vagrants accompanied by a passed her sell by date ex-bar type girl Thai wife of about 50 years of age, dressed like a 20 year old, cheap and nasty.

I’ve seen Thai people giving these farangs an unapproving stare and it`s totally embarrassing. If I do happen to see these farangs when out and about I try to keep my distance from them, just in case any Thai people think I am with them.

SPIT SPIT< racist vitriol, spit, spit. It says that you are an "advanced member" when it appears that you are just a self centered, patronising bigot!!

What the OP decribes is a minority and can be seen on ANY underground train system regardless of the country. I assume that YOUR ARMPITS, HAIR, AND WAISTLINE REMAIN PERFECTLY MAINTAINED!!! DEARY!I also trust that your partner is of a "suitable" age???

Maybe a minority, but certainly not the small minority.

When I do go out I make an effort to look reasonably clean, presentable and befitting to wherever I am and apt for the environment that I’m in, whether out shopping, dining in a restaurant or in Immigration and so on.

And being in Thailand I try to act accordingly as what many Thais describe as dressing politely and exhibiting behaviour not likely to offend such as not groping my girlfriend in public places, or looking like some rag and muffin hippy throw back from the 1960s. I don`t stand out like a sore thumb and do have some self-esteem.

When I see these types of farangs as mentioned above, the first impressions I have of them is that they don`t respect Thailand and have no deference for the culture that they are in.

Just describing the facts, as I’m sure many have seen the types that I have described. This is not racism, but slobism and I’m telling it how it is. And if some consider this as snobbery on my part, than I admit that I am a snob and proud.

Do you actually think any Thais give a shit?

Really?

If you had a 40,000$ Armarni suit on, you'd still just be a "farang" in their eyes.They'd take one glance at you and then it would be heads down into the Somtam again after a few choice comments...

Get over yourself....

Edited by HeavyDrinker
  • Like 1

Two of my points that I will repeat again and this pertains to tourists and ex-pats:

The first impressions I have of them is that they don`t respect Thailand and have no deference for the culture that they are in and I`m sure this is how the Thais perceive them as well.

I think that says it all and for those who have a so what? I’ll do as I please and couldn’t give a rat’s behind what anyone else thinks attitude, that’s their choice, but it`s certainly not an advantage.

Edited by Beetlejuice

What are wife beater singlets anyway?

Like this..

I wear those quite often bought some new ones not to long ago. Don't often wear them in public though, don't really think its a good choice for out in public. I could pull it off wearing them as i have no gut and actually have enough muscles to be spotted in one. But i prefer just wearing them in the gym.

But come on tourists in a hot country, they would wear them why not. We are expats a bit more in tune how things work here.

Looks like people hate fat people here. Nothing wrong with them their choice to be like that. It starts to get annoying if they really bother you physically. Taking part of your seat in a plane or bus or something like that. Otherwise live and let live.

Two of my points that I will repeat again and this pertains to tourists and ex-pats:

The first impressions I have of them is that they don`t respect Thailand and have no deference for the culture that they are in and I`m sure this is how the Thais perceive them as well.

I think that says it all and for those who have a so what? I’ll do as I please and couldn’t give a rat’s behind what anyone else thinks attitude, that’s your choice, but it`s certainly not an advantage.

I say it again you are a character, a bit of a snob. Others see it too, but you do have some good info too.

As for tourists they only know this is a hot holiday destination how can they know how to behave. Its not in any of the promotions the Thais show.

I think that says it all and for those who have a so what? I’ll do as I please and couldn’t give a rat’s behind what anyone else thinks attitude, that’s your choice, but it`s certainly not an advantage.

Do you see yourself as some sort of Ambassador?

Why do you get so upset about this dribble?

Do you naturally have a low self esteem?

While I agree about sweaty armpits I feel you seriously need to get over yourself.

I think that says it all and for those who have a so what? I’ll do as I please and couldn’t give a rat’s behind what anyone else thinks attitude, that’s their choice, but it`s certainly not an advantage.

Just the opposite, if you truly have that attitude you are more likely to have success in life. The ability to ignore or question protocols and behaviors is what actually drives innovation.

Just the opposite, if you truly have that attitude you are more likely to have success in life. The ability to ignore or question protocols and behaviors is what actually drives innovation.

Thinking outside the box is a bit different than being ignorant and disrespectful of the culture to which you are a visitor.

Thinking outside the box is a bit different than being ignorant and disrespectful of the culture to which you are a visitor.

You assume someone is ignorant or disrespectful because they don't care what others think about them?

Im not sure how to take this but i think we can agree that tourist don't get a good image of what to expect in Thailand. The advertisements are aimed to get people here showing a warm holiday destination. I think its a bit naive to think that they should know better.

Expats however and people who have been here longer should know a bit better. I make sure im reasonably dressed in BKK when i go out and to shopping centers. However in the village on the suburbs here i see enough Thais in bare chests at times or in the wife beaters. I think it kinda depends where you are, how you dress. In and around the house i wear different clothes then when i go out.

You assume someone is ignorant or disrespectful because they don't care what others think about them?

It's not so much of what others think of them, but what they think of others.

Edited by giddyup

I think it's selfish to behave in a way which bystanders will find offensive, though some of us have little choice about whether we perspire, and I dread to imagine the trouble I would get myself into were I to venture onto the BTS while I left my beer gut at home. I can at least make sure I am reasonably recently washed, shaved, and well-kempt. At the start of the day, at least.

SC

• Like 1

While I agree about sweaty armpits I feel you seriously need to get over yourself.

When we are living in foreign lands, in a way we are all ambassadors for our countries and the way we behave abroad can reflect on in the same groups living in any particular country.

As for being upset about a load of dribble, I don`t seem to be as agitated as you, as I have the ability to put up a good argument rather than having to make personal comments against anyone in order to get a point across.

I do love a good challenging argument and will give people a run for their money, it`s up to you to put your point across and come up with some good convincing reasons why you believe someone is wrong. That`s if you`re up to the job, that is?

Edited by Beetlejuice

When we are living in foreign lands, in a way we are all ambassadors for our countries and the way we behave abroad can reflect on in the same groups living in any particular country.

As for being upset about a load of dribble, I don`t seem to be as agitated as you, as I have the ability to put up a good argument rather than having to make personal comments against anyone in order to get a point across.

Unfortunately, the same people that were uncouth, ignorant slobs in their home country, are going to be no different in Thailand.

You have posted 2 rants about people you don't, or will never know, based on their appearance alone.

That says a lot more about you than it does me.

I'm not an "ambassador" for anyone bar myself, my culture and possibly my missus. When she says "dress smart" then I'll bung on a nice pair of shorts and a decent Slayer T Shirt (if the maid has done the ironing).

That is fine, anyone who would judge me based on my choice of clothes doesn't deserve my respect.

• Like 1

You seemed willing to vent your spleen on ladies that looked like bar girls, though, and happy to abuse anonymous and hypothetical strangers who were unable to defend themselves, thus further entrenching unchallenged prejudices in the minds of our innocent readers. When we vent our bigotries, we reinforce those same bigotries in others that share them - the same behaviour that leads to "groupthink", or mob rule. At least, by challenging you, HD gave you a chance to lucidly articulate your opinions

SC

• Like 2

That is fine, anyone who would judge me based on my choice of clothes doesn't deserve my respect.

Respectable and respectful behaviour is about how we behave, not our opinion of strangers. Contempt for the opinion of others shows our own ignorance, not those whom we hold in contempt.

SC

I wasn't talking about how anyone dresses, other than dressing appropriately for your situation. Personally, I find it offensive to see some shirtless, flabby, pasty, tattooed yob wandering around a shopping centre. They would be thrown out by security in their home country probably.

Edited by giddyup

Do you actually think any Thais give a shit?

In the tourist areas no.

In Bangkok in the midst of urban professionals going about their normal work day most definitely. But no one says you have to care what they think, just some of us think it's better if you at least make a minimum effort not to offend.

I wear those quite often bought some new ones not to long ago. Don't often wear them in public though, don't really think its a good choice for out in public. I could pull it off wearing them as i have no gut and actually have enough muscles to be spotted in one. But i prefer just wearing them in the gym.

But come on tourists in a hot country, they would wear them why not.

If you're fat and smell bad, then keep your arms down that's all.

Ignorant if they're not aware of the impression they're making.

And if they are aware but don't give a toss, then I think that's pretty much the definition of disrespectful isn't it?

With this particular issue I completely agree not such a big deal, of course you're free to flaunt local mores as long as you're willing to wear the consequences.

But yes, baring your smelly hairy armpit inches away from others face is certainly disgusting, surely you're not trying to argue that point?

I wasn't talking about how anyone dresses, other than dressing appropriately for your situation. Personally, I find it offensive to see some shirtless, flabby, pasty, tattooed yob wandering around a shopping centre. They would be thrown out by security in their home country probably.

Shirtless or no shoes yes, but smelly guys wearing tank tops are pretty common back home, where malls are the domain of the common people.

Only here are they considered up-market.