Australian Football

Old Croc

A news release from Australia's Channel 9 confirms games involving the Collingwood football club may be free of biased commentry in the coming season :o

Eddie McGuire confirmed as Nine CEO

Thursday Feb 9 17:03 AEDT

High-profile TV star and Collingwood Football Club president Eddie McGuire has taken over the reins of Nine, Australia's oldest television network.

After weeks of frenzied speculation, the announcement was made in a simple two-line statment by parent company PBL, confirming the network's biggest on-screen star will become its new boss.

"Publishing and Broadcasting Limited announced today that it has appointed Mr Eddie McGuire as chief executive of the Nine Network," the company said.

McGuire, who hosts Who Wants to Be a Millionaire and The AFL Footy Show, will replace television industry stalwart Sam Chisholm as Nine's chief executive.

McGuire is expected to start his new job on Monday after spending most of the week locked in meetings with executives from the Packer-owned Publishing & Broadcasting Ltd (PBL), which controls Nine.

A PBL insider said McGuire, who was a close friend of the late media tycoon Kerry Packer, had secured the top job.

"There will be announcement later today that he got the job," the source said.

"It will be formally announced on the 6pm news tonight and not before."

McGuire, 41, was believed to have spent most of Thursday in PBL's Sydney offices ahead of the announcement.

His new job will mean he will have to move from his beloved Melbourne and set up home in Sydney.

However, while the man known as Eddie Everywhere will keep his job as Collingwood president, he will probably have to give up his on-air roles hosting two of Nine's most popular programs. :D

McGuire's impending appointment has won praise from Collingwood's chief executive Greg Swann and Victorian Premier Steve Bracks.

EL&C Baillieu media analyst Ivor Ries believes the key to McGuire's success will be making the right program choices to attract audiences and advertisers.

"You really need someone who's got a feel for the great Australian middle class and what they want to watch and I think Eddie's probably got it," Mr Ries said.

"If you look at the programs he has done, in particular The Footy Show, that was very successful ... just good, light entertainment.

"Eddie is the guy who invented that program and drove it all the way along. He knew how to tap into quality audiences."

Collingwood chief executive Greg Swann also believes McGuire has what it takes to run Nine, saying his management skills are second to none.

The club has prospered under McGuire's stewardship, with its membership and list of corporate sponsors growing as it turned around its on-field fortunes, making grand final appearances in 2002 and 2003.

"Contrary to popular belief he has very good management skills," Mr Swann told ABC radio.

"There's no doubt he knows the industry, there's no question he can do that job and do it really well.

"The other thing is he's not a lone wolf in there, he will have other management and he will have financial people around so if there is any issue there, then that can be addressed."

However, while the man known as Eddie Everywhere will keep his job as Collingwood president, he will probably have to give up his on-air roles hosting two of Nine's most popular programs. :o

There is a god indeed. Even though I have minimal exposure to watching channel nine these days (that may change soon with ABC Asia Pacific) it is a good feeling to know that I wont have to put up with his inane, biased commentary on watching AFL. If given the chance that I might even watch "The Footy Show" now that I know there is a fair chance he wont be on it.

It will be good to hear about the other teams in the AFL now . Hopefully he wont touch NRL programming in favour of AFL.

However, while the man known as Eddie Everywhere will keep his job as Collingwood president, he will probably have to give up his on-air roles hosting two of Nine's most popular programs. :D

There is a god indeed. Even though I have minimal exposure to watching channel nine these days (that may change soon with ABC Asia Pacific) it is a good feeling to know that I wont have to put up with his inane, biased commentary on watching AFL. If given the chance that I might even watch "The Footy Show" now that I know there is a fair chance he wont be on it.

It will be good to hear about the other teams in the AFL now . Hopefully he wont touch NRL programming in favour of AFL.

I haven't been able to watch "The Footy Show" for a couple of years now because of that man. :o

Tipped to replace him are Gary Lyon or James Brayshaw.