Emirates A380 Engine Explosion After Departure From Sydney.

yermanee

Emirates don't use Rolls Royce engines on their A380s

This is the second non RR failure on a 380 in TWO DAYS http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalking/2012/11/12/emirates-a380s-have-two-engine-failures-in-two-days-but/

Having been on, and not been impressed by, the Thai A380 I will be avoiding this aircraft wherever possible.

This is the second non RR failure on a 380 in TWO DAYS http://blogs.crikey....n-two-days-but/

Having been on, and not been impressed by, the Thai A380 I will be avoiding this aircraft wherever possible.

4 long haul Airbus flights, give me Boeing anytime. I find myself pulling on the armrests on A340s trying to pull them into the air.

• Like 1

No big deal. NOT Rolls Royce engines. Aircraft engine fires are fairly frequent and because most of them get engine shutdowns before anything really serious happens most of them are never reported by the media. Hands up anyone who has done 200 plus flights and has never experienced an engine failure. I've flown more than 500 times and have lost count of the failures, fires and other 'emergencies' that I have been subjected to.

This is the second non RR failure on a 380 in TWO DAYS http://blogs.crikey....n-two-days-but/

4 long haul Airbus flights, give me Boeing anytime. I find myself pulling on the armrests on A340s trying to pull them into the air.

Like you Boeing aircraft are full of gas to keep them afloat, what a load of rubbish!!

No big deal. NOT Rolls Royce engines. Aircraft engine fires are fairly frequent and because most of them get engine shutdowns before anything really serious happens most of them are never reported by the media. Hands up anyone who has done 200 plus flights and has never experienced an engine failure. I've flown more than 500 times and have lost count of the failures, fires and other 'emergencies' that I have been subjected to.

I've had 3 failures and one blowout all with different airlines and different aircraft so why do posters have to put any blame on any one airline or manufacture?

Edited by theoldgit
Offensive remarks removed.

If you yanked on the armrests on the airbuses I've been on you'd snap them off, cheap plastic crap.

More correctly, this was an engine shutdown, not an explosion.

GE has had 3 GEnX engines fail due to a corrosion coating change on the main shaft from LPT to the Fan. 2 on 787, 1 on 747-8i. The 787 engine failures both occurred on taxi engine runs, and the 747-8 freighter was during takeoff roll, which was aborted without incident. All engine failures were contained,

If you're flying to the UK end of June next year let me know what flight you are on and I'll avoid it:-)

• Like 1

If you're flying to the UK end of June next year let me know what flight you are on and I'll avoid it:-)

Pussy !

Interesting, EK having a bad run, or possibly not bad, just a coincidence. An in-flight shut down is not really a big deal, but 3 in a week..... That raises serious question.

(Mods, links to credible incident reports below - be it though not official ATSB reports)

Emirates A388 near Sydney on Nov 11th 2012, engine shut down in flight

Emirates B773 near Mumbai on Nov 7th 2012, engine shut down in flight

Emirates A388 near Kosice on Nov 7th 2012, engine shut down in flight

Bizare comment. coffee1.gif

I fly internationally every two weeks and thank my lucky stars have never bring in a mid air issue

Let me know when and where you're flying.. seems you're jinxed..

I can't remember all the flights I've had, international and domestic and the worst I've experience was a "main gear down lock" light failure on approach at the destination, which caused a go around and a test of the right main bounce before final touchdown.

Interesting, EK having a bad run, or possibly not bad, just a coincidence. An in-flight shut down is not really a big deal, but 3 in a week..... That raises serious question.

(Mods, links to credible incident reports below - be it though not official ATSB reports)

With 27 A-380's (108 engines)and 115 777 (230 engines) aircraft, (http://www.planespotters.net/Airline/Emirates?show=all) you're going to have some "clusters" of unintended engine issues. None were uncontained failures (afaik) although there is an unconfirmed report from Tim Clark, President of Emirates, that Emirates thinks there may be 3 to 4 engines that are faulty on the A380s.

Lucky none of the hydraulics were damaged.

I was on a Qatar Airways flight coming back from Bkk via Doha; as we approached the runway(Doha) all the lights went out and the engines lost power(you cd hear them stop rotating, very eerie), luckily we just glided the last few meters and touched down. We saw emergency vehicles in the darkness outside but we were kept on the plane - stuck on the runway with no aircon for around 40 minutes in semi darkness, just emergency lights. The Qatar crew were rubbish, didnt know what to do and we even had to beg for water. Eventually the plane was towed to the gate. So that was the last time i flew Qatar.

So i'm thinking after reading about Emirates that middle eastern cabin crews are not very capable in emergencies..!

Edited by fish fingers

All the engines "just stopped"?

Not doubting your story, just the details.

From inside the cabin of an aircraft on finals, it might suddenly go very quiet over the threshold, but to have all the engines stop is something else indeed.

edit: Just did a search on this, and came up with nothing. Can you provide more details, date, route etc? Coming back from Bangkok to where via Doha?

I fly internationally every two weeks and thank my lucky stars have never bring in a mid air issue

Same here. I consider myself lucky to have never experienced an emergency, ever. That‘s more than 25 years of flying. I choose only airlines of good repute and never low-cost.

Emirates is a good airline, and I would not blame them for this incident. Neither would I blame Airbus. It was an engine problem, and when you buy an aircraft, you buy the engines on a seperate contract.

Sent from my LG-P698f using Thaivisa Connect App

With 27 A-380's (108 engines)and 115 777 (230 engines) aircraft, (http://www.planespot...irates?show=all) you're going to have some "clusters" of unintended engine issues. None were uncontained failures (afaik) although there is an unconfirmed report from Tim Clark, President of Emirates, that Emirates thinks there may be 3 to 4 engines that are faulty on the A380s.

True, some times they are shut down as a precaution or due to a false warning indication. Murpheys Law can be a bitch too sometimes !!!! Maybe I should not have said this cluster needs serious attention as such. I personally would still travel on EK, (even though I think the Dubai airport and the service is over ratted). I personally would never travel on Ethiad Airways due to the safety culture or lack of it in that organisation.

Dear "Fish Fingers", Reference to the Qatar mentioned incident above, please provide some more details. I have not heard about it, nor two pilots who are currently working for that operator who I just messaged know any details of this incident and would like to know more to follow it up. Please advise the rough time frame you are talking and if you can remember the aircraft type. I am not doubting that you were towed under limited electrical power at all. But a double engine failure would have sent ripples through the industry. (Assuming it was a twin, by memory they are operating Triple7's on the Bangers route these days. )

Edited by jcw
  • Like 1