39-Year-Old Australian Survives 18-Storey Hotel Plunge In Phuket

webfact

Aussie survives 18-storey hotel plunge

Phuket Gazette

a1.jpeg

Australian John Hurley, 39, suffered serious injuries in the fall from the 18th floor of this hotel, but he survived the incident. Photo: Atchaa Khamlo

a2.jpeg

Rescue workers from the Kusoldharm Foundation prepare to take Mr Hurley to Patong Hospital. Photo: Kusoldharm Foundation - Patong

PHUKET: -- The Australian man who fell 18 floors from a Patong hotel balcony earlier today is recovering at Vachira Phuket Hospital in Phuket Town.

John Hurley, 39, suffered broken ribs, a punctured lung, serious injuries to his right leg and a broken left hand in the fall.

His leg was nearly torn off in the impact and he suffered deep bruises to his body, a Kusoldtham Foundation rescue worker told the Phuket Gazette at the scene.

“He landed on the clear plexiglass roof on the second floor and then hit the extended cement terrace of that floor,” the rescue worker said.

“It took about 10 minutes to get him to Patong Hospital,” he added.

Staff at Patong Hospital confirmed to the Gazette that Mr Hurley has since regained consciousness and was transferred to the Vachira Phuket Hospital this afternoon.

Capt Teerasak Boonsang of the Patong Police said they were now questioning witnesses known to have seen or spoken with Mr Hurley before his fall.

Mr Hurley was staying at the Royal Paradise Hotel & Spa, which dominates the Patong skyline.

“We found a chair on the balcony of his hotel room and on the chair was one of Mr Hurley’s shoes,” explained Patong Police Deputy Superintendent Kittipong Klaikaew.

“Also, hotel records show that Mr Hurley called Australia 15 times before his fall,” he added.

Rescue workers at the scene said they could smell alcohol on Mr Hurley.

Lt Col Kittipong said that Mr Hurley was due to check out of the hotel today.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle19439.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-11-14

• Like 1

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“Also, hotel records show that Mr Hurley called Australia 15 times before his fall,” he added.

Good chance some of these 15 calls could add a lot of detail as to the "why" he did it if it wasn't truly an accident.

• Like 1

Got to be the luckiest guy in the world . . . . if it was an accident.

Or the unluckiest guy in the world, if he was trying to kill himself

That depends on how he felt about killing himself after he was airborne. A lot of times people change their mind mid-air.

No one falls off high balconies, innate survival instinct is too strong.

Hell, I don't even go out on mine, never mind looking over the banister for the view.

For whatever reason he most likely jumped,

He may have thought he was in pain, but the real pain will begin soon as the morphine wears off and he begins recovery and most likely lengthly rehabilitation, assuming he in fact survives.

He's going to live with pain and physical issues from this accident for the rest of his life.

Regardless, wishing a full recovery.

• Like 1

What- or whoever- made him jump doesn't change the fact that just too many foreigners "jump" down of tall buildings here.

Hope he'll fully recover and no problems with hospital bills etc...wai2.gif

Congratulations!!! Only a few posts in and we get shadowy ennuendo about people jumping form buildings. However surely the primary motivation for your post was the kind desire to wish the poor fellow well. biggrin.png
  • Like 1

Any sensible suggestions why so many people do jump to their deaths here?

I imagine excessive alcohol combined with mixed emotions over girls, who give them enormous feelings of pleasure but also equal amounts of frustration, confusion, anxiety and ultimately depression

Got to think with the 'big head' here and not the 'little head'

• Like 1

That depends on how he felt about killing himself after he was airborne. A lot of times people change their mind mid-air.

I've read that too... but always wondered how they compiled their statistics? unsure.png

• Like 1

Any sensible suggestions why so many people do jump to their deaths here?

I imagine excessive alcohol combined with mixed emotions over girls, who give them enormous feelings of pleasure but also equal amounts of frustration, confusion, anxiety and ultimately depression

Got to think with the 'big head' here and not the 'little head'

Every point you have made here, most people experience and I experience too throughout my life. But I and most people don't jump off skyscrapers

Edited by HappyWanderer

How do you know that?

• Like 1

Nothing to indicate that he jumped or was even pushed at this stage. Fortunately he survived and may be able to give an explanation. I am sure that the Australian police have spoken to or will speak to those he called in Australia and the thais will speak to the people he was with prior to the incident.

I think the jury is still out on this one.

• Like 2

How do we know that?

• Like 1