Phuket Governor Called On To Curb Out Of Control Corruption

webfact

Phuket Governor called on to curb 'out of control' corruption

Phuket Gazette

phuket-1-19447erWDhXaRYJukHJKDZJRchGaQkD.jpg

Soi Bangla, lined on both sides with bars and clubs, is the heart of the nightlife industry of Patong. Photo: Gazette file

phuket-4-19447SvEYOxufcRQpnkcWMOvIhbJibA.jpg

Patong Entertainment Business Association President Weerawit Kurasombat asked that the Governor help curb the extortion of nightclubs and other entertainment venues by government officials. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: -- Patong Deputy Mayor Chairat Sukban and Patong Entertainment Business Association President Weerawit Kurasombat today called on the Phuket Governor to investigate rampant extortion by government officers.

Deputy Mayor Chairat and Mr Weerawit met Governor Maitri Inthusut at Provincial Hall this morning. Also present was Prapan Kanprasang, head of the Damrongtham Center (Provincial Ombudsman’s Office).

“Many government departments in Phuket ask for protection money from entertainment operators in Patong, and the problem is getting worse,” said Mr Chairat.

“We would like to ask the Governor to please investigate these government departments,” Mr Chairat added.

Mr Weerawit told the Gazette that officials from up to nearly 20 government departments and law enforcement agencies regularly ask night venues in Patong for money.

“To the best of my knowledge every single bar in Patong has to pay at least 500 baht to some government official each month,” he said.

“Large nightlife venues in Patong pay much, much more. Some pay as much as 100,000 baht a month,” he added.

Mr Weerawit explained that Patong’s nightlife industry was a prime target for officials to demand corrupt payments.

He estimated that nightclubs, pubs and bars in the resort town generate a total of about 10 million baht a day during the coming “peak tourism season” (during the end-of-year holidays) and about 7mn baht a day during the rest of the year.

However, he added, “The problem is getting so bad that some nightclubs have even changed their businesses to restaurants to try to avoid the corruption.”

During the meeting, Mr Weerawit also requested that Governor Maitri extend the trading hours for night entertainment venues so they could serve the many tourists who come to Phuket to party.

“Tourists love to stay out late. After night entertainment venues close at the regulated hours, the tourists buy drinks at convenience stores and hang out on the beach.

“This is makes our beaches dirty and jeopardizes tourists’ safety,” he added.

Governor Maitri said he would personally visit Patong to follow up on the issue.

“Thank you for the information. I will have the relevant departments investigate the matter and I will keep track of any progress made,” Governor Maitri said.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...tion-19447.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-11-15

“Thank you for the information. I will have the relevant departments investigate the matter and I will keep track of any progress made,” Governor Maitri said.

Keep track of, or stymie progress?

Unlikely the Governor will want to bite the hand that feeds him

• Like 1

500 Baht? You think any of us reading this would believe that? 100,000 Baht is definitely the money. It is almost time for vigilante action on these people. Wait until they are paid, and on leaving, jump them, beat the crap outta them and let them claim insurance for money in transit. Give 20% of monies recovered to the muscle, and tell them keep their eyes open. Quick payoff and good commissions. Of course the club owners could all pool for a month and simply refuse en masse...

500 Baht? You think any of us reading this would believe that? 100,000 Baht is definitely the money. It is almost time for vigilante action on these people. Wait until they are paid, and on leaving, jump them, beat the crap outta them and let them claim insurance for money in transit. Give 20% of monies recovered to the muscle, and tell them keep their eyes open. Quick payoff and good commissions. Of course the club owners could all pool for a month and simply refuse en masse...

Did you just go to the new James Bond movie? I think this article is a positive step. A Patong official acknowledges a long known problem...

Install CCTV systems and record the guys comming to collect the money, then was the problem over in one week !

Never happen. I would think that the first person to show the video would end up as "fish food" ... just as an example.

“To the best of my knowledge every single bar in Patong has to pay at least 500 baht to some government official each month,” he said.

Get real - 500 baht .... never, much much more and the 'some government official' would be the neighbourhood policeman.

Exactly LinK, and I was thinking the 100k was on the low side as well.

Edited by Dap

Get real - 500 baht .... never, much much more and the 'some government official' would be the neighbourhood policeman.

Exactly LinK, and I was thinking the 100k was on the low side as well.

The 100K might be right, but that would be per day, definitely not per month (big discos and gogo's)

Bars pay 10000 THB per ST room per monthwhistling.gif

• Like 1

Well well. It is not just the Entertainment industry - the police are around every business asking for money - it is just the perceived income of the establishment to the corrupt policeman or official that sets the rate which is of course subject to a factoring if there is a foreigner anywhere involved - much like the tax department and VAT offices really!!

Operate legally and you won't have to pay anything.

That's just not the case. I know plenty of bar, restaurant, and even beauty shop owners who are completely legal and still have to pay a 'fee' each month.

Apparanrtly we know different people, I know plenty who operate completely legal and don't pay anything to anybody, except for the legally required licenses etc.

That's just not the case. I know plenty of bar, restaurant, and even beauty shop owners who are completely legal and still have to pay a 'fee' each month.

Have to agree on this. I know a few bar owners and they are fed up with this extortion esp as the price has been increased lately, but punter numbers are down. They even talked of getting a group together to negotiate a "fair" price because now it is out of hand!!!

Apparanrtly we know different people, I know plenty who operate completely legal and don't pay anything to anybody, except for the legally required licenses etc.

I am talking about owners in Patong. Are we comparing that group of owners ?

I am talking about owners in Patong. Are we comparing that group of owners ?

You're right there, and that could make a big difference, I am talking about bar and restaurant owners in Kata and Rawai that I know.

Sorry if that caused any confusion.

I agree. Of all the bar, restaurant and guest house owners I know, on a social basis, all pay a monthly "fee." I have even see the handover on one occassion. I was in a bar on Nanai Road when a Thai guy came in with a shoulder sling bag. The owner took 2000 baht out of his wallet and handed it to his Thai girlfriend who was doing the waitressing. She handed it to him, he put it in his bag and he walked out. I was later told he was their local policeman.

The 2000 baht was a gift to buy some "tea" of course. smile.pngsmile.png This guy had all the correct licences and shut at 2am. There were no obvious breaches of the law I could ever see there.

So, at 80 baht a beer, the first 25 beers sold for the month were for the policeman.

The policeman didn't even care that I watched the whole thing. You could only be so brazen if it's from the top to the bottom without the risk of repercussions.

Edited by NamKangMan