Wearing Helmets In Phuket

petercallen

<snip> riding motorbike in the dark without light ( hate it and usualy they have black clothing just to make them more difficult to spot).

Especially if there is 80% tint film on the windscreen. whistling.gif

80% tint is crazy.. had 60% for a while.. went back to 40%

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Peter Callen

You are wrong about one thing.

The hardness of the outside of the helmet is fairly irrelevant. It is its shock-absorbing qualities that are crucial. The 600-900 baht helmets you refer to are not "decent", they are almost useless. However, you are not alone, the average Thai, who as you rightly point out, even bothers to wear a helmet, also thinks that the rock hard plastic pot on their head provides adequate protection. It does not. It does, however, act as a wonderful shock wave conduit to their skulls and brains.

Yours respectfully

Briggsy

Dear Peter Callen

You are wrong about one thing.

The hardness of the outside of the helmet is fairly irrelevant. It is its shock-absorbing qualities that are crucial. The 600-900 baht helmets you refer to are not "decent", they are almost useless. However, you are not alone, the average Thai, who as you rightly point out, even bothers to wear a helmet, also thinks that the rock hard plastic pot on their head provides adequate protection. It does not. It does, however, act as a wonderful shock wave conduit to their skulls and brains.

Yours respectfully

Briggsy

Read post number 24,My 800 baht helmet worked fine

Edited by petercallen

Dear Peter Callen

You have made some very valid points in your post # 24, particularly regarding the importance of fit.

However, I would like to see more empirical evidence before accepting their level of effectiveness as "decent".

The fact that they are not exported to Europe, where if they were, they would massively undercut the current helmet market, would suggest to me that the manufacturers know they would fail the testing and certification process.

Yours respectfully

Briggsy

Dear Peter Callen

You have made some very valid points in your post # 24, particularly regarding the importance of fit.

However, I would like to see more empirical evidence before accepting their level of effectiveness as "decent".

The fact that they are not exported to Europe, where if they were, they would massively undercut the current helmet market, would suggest to me that the manufacturers know they would fail the testing and certification process.

Yours respectfully

Briggsy

Its Mr Peter C Allen.

No relation to the flamboyant Australian singer.

Dear Peter Callen

Yours respectfullymut

Briggsy

It was not me, it was Joe who posted 24

How do you know helmets made in Asia are not exported to Europe

Are you the agent for a expensive imported helmet here???

Dear Peter Callen

Yours respectfully

Briggsy

Its Mr Peter C Allen.

No relation to the flamboyant Australian singer.

You are no relation to Hansgruber the terrorist either, although i could be wrong

"but we all do it"... no, atually, we all don't do it. Some residents of Phuket drive responsibly and actually wear shoes, pants and real helmets. I would prefer to spend my money on my family and not on brain surgery and skin grafts.

Riding a scooter at 80kmh with flip flops, shorts, singlet and what only can be called a skate board helmet is crazy, but we all do it, in a accident even if there is no broken bones, the skin always takes a beating and gets cut to shreds, the other day i sore a thai guy riding his bike, his right arm in plaster, so driving the bike with his left arm, but crossed over to the right hand accelerator grip, it's impossible but he was doing it on a open road.

So it's dress up like a power ranger time, full leathers with Kevlar protection, boots and a full face helmet, or go totally the opposite and o'natural,

• Like 1

They are made in Thailand and imported to Europe but not the 600 - 900 Baht jobs you refer to. The 'Real' brand springs to mind as producing some of their helmets for export.

The reason I know, is that if you could legally sell certified helmets for 600 - 900 Baht in Western Europe plus carriage cost, the price alone would massively undercut the established market.

They are made in Thailand and imported to Europe but not the 600 - 900 Baht jobs you refer to. The 'Real' brand springs to mind as producing some of their helmets for export.

The reason I know, is that if you could legally sell certified helmets for 600 - 900 Baht in Western Europe plus carriage cost, the price alone would massively undercut the established market.

So whats wrong with competition if the REAL helmets as you call them are made in Asia

The Real helmets as you call them would have to drop there prices to compete which is not a bad thing

"but we all do it"... no, atually, we all don't do it. Some residents of Phuket drive responsibly and actually wear shoes, pants and real helmets. I would prefer to spend my money on my family and not on brain surgery and skin grafts.

Riding a scooter at 80kmh with flip flops, shorts, singlet and what only can be called a skate board helmet is crazy, but we all do it, in a accident even if there is no broken bones, the skin always takes a beating and gets cut to shreds, the other day i sore a thai guy riding his bike, his right arm in plaster, so driving the bike with his left arm, but crossed over to the right hand accelerator grip, it's impossible but he was doing it on a open road.

So it's dress up like a power ranger time, full leathers with Kevlar protection, boots and a full face helmet, or go totally the opposite and o'natural,

Ok, maybe you don't, but 99.9% of the people here, expats, Thais and tourist, don't wear protective clothing on the scooterlike bikes.

Ok, maybe you don't, but 99.9% of the people here, expats, Thais and tourist, don't wear protective clothing on the scooterlike bikes.

cgphuket, i'd be interested in a picture or a description of what you and your family wear on a bike, as in protection?????, it's great if you do take such precautions regarding your family, even the riders of so called superbikes rarely wear proper protection, have to agree with S the figure must be close to 99.9%, plus it's hard to believe that the manufacturers of a 900 baht helmet have the resources and technology to produce a quality product, although saying that in the UK you can buy a starter BS certified helmet for about 1000-1500baht. but my hounds ride with me everywhere

post-151889-0-69297400-1353216258_thumb.

So whats wrong with competition if the REAL helmets as you call them are made in Asia

The Real helmets as you call them would have to drop there prices to compete which is not a bad thing

I cannot understand your post. I really can't. You will need to make yourself clear.

The point I am making is that the helmets that retail in Thailand for 600 for 900 Baht offer only limited protection for your skull and brain and would not be permitted to be used as a legal helmet in developed nations.

I think I have made myself crystal clear. I don't think this conversation is achieving anything except demonstrating you think cheap helmets are "decent" and I disagree.

Oh, I figured it out. You think I mean the word 'real'. It's a brand of helmet! Didn't you know?

Edited by Briggsy

I cannot understand your post. I really can't. You will need to make yourself clear.

The point I am making is that the helmets that retail in Thailand for 600 for 900 Baht offer only limited protection for your skull and brain and would not be permitted to be used as a legal helmet in developed nations.

I think I have made myself crystal clear. I don't think this conversation is achieving anything except demonstrating you think cheap helmets are "decent" and I disagree.

Oh, I figured it out. You think I mean the word 'real'. It's a brand of helmet! Didn't you know?

We agree to disagree, that's fine with me,

They are all Real helmets of varying quality, paying a high price for a helmet advertised on media outlets does not make it better

Edited by petercallen

We agree to disagree, that's fine with me,

They are all Real helmets of varying quality, paying a high price for a helmet advertised on media outlets does not make it better

http://www.real-helmets.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=4&product_id=6

I have to agree with you. I am one. I also don't usually wear a helmet when riding around the neighborhood and to the beach.

Always wear a helmet, even if I'm just going 200 metres.

I read some statistic at some time that a high percentage of accidents are within a kilometre of the persons house.

Knowing that life has a sick sense of humour, an accident will usually happen when you skip putting your helmet on.

I ride bikes that are less than 100 CC, too.

• Like 1

Amazes me that there are so many discussions about what people should or should not do here, there is law here but virtually none of it is enforced, people do exactly what they want, drive through red lights, not wearing crash helmets, drive the wrong way etc etc its up to the individual to do what he or she thinks is right full stop!! I wear a crash helmet always, it's not fantastic but I don't feel right not wearing something, been here many years and never once had an accident, the only thing that is going to save you is keeping your speed down and being aware constantly what is around you behind you and in front of you!!

• Like 1

Those cheap helmets gotta be ok if your just cruising. If your on holiday why go fast?

Must get to next beach immediately.

Me and mrs rarely go above 40 cause we can't chit chat.

Speed has very little to do with it. The Fortuner/taxi/minibus that hit's you is doing 120 so your 40 is irrelevant.

Actually, it's irrelevant because traumatic brain injury will occur from very slow impact speeds. People die from hitting their heads when they fall over from a standing position all the time. It's one of the top causes of death.

Guess you never learned statistics or physics

I look forward to your explanation of your comment.

Amazes me that there are so many discussions about what people should or should not do here, there is law here but virtually none of it is enforced, people do exactly what they want, drive through red lights, not wearing crash helmets, drive the wrong way etc etc its up to the individual to do what he or she thinks is right full stop!! I wear a crash helmet always, it's not fantastic but I don't feel right not wearing something, been here many years and never once had an accident, the only thing that is going to save you is keeping your speed down and being aware constantly what is around you behind you and in front of you!!

After writing this post, the very next day I did have an accident, I am now considering leaving the bikes and using the car most of the time, it does not matter how good a driver you are that accident will happen as it has done for me!!

^^^Today? You ok? What happened?

There is a post in the bikes forum, driving back from school(step daughter on the back, only doing 40/45 kph when young lad pulled out in front if us at the last second, we hit with a Big Bang, daughter falls of to the side I go forward but stayed upright, no injuries other than a cut knee(daughter hurt her chest as she came forward into me, young lad gash to his leg, this happened outside his work, people and owner from his work were great, they gave the lad a good talking too, they are paying for all repairs which only consist of lots of scratches to the front of my Skydrive, there bike had lots of damage, I saw him waiting and was watching him, but at the last second he just came straight out!!

Accident was yesterday Late afternoon, so actually same day as my other post!

Edited by dogpoo

I read some statistic at some time that a high percentage of accidents are within a kilometre of the persons house.

That's likely as that's where people drive most frequently.

Most frequent route is from the house to the 7/11, supercheap, 50m away from the housecheesy.gif

Edited by noob7

Most frequent route is from the house to the 7/11, supercheap, 50m away from the housecheesy.gif

What? You can't walk that far?sick.gif

A decent helmet for 900 baht??

Not likely. Nothing more than a ice cream container.

You hear this nonsense spouted by uneducated people on forums at times. My 900B Avex TIS-5690 rated helmet is made with EPS foam wrapped in ABS plastic, just as your 30,000B SHOE or Arai is. Far more than an "ice bream container." DOT and TIS testing are fairly basic and minimal. SNELL less so, but most helmets will pass them. Certainly a 900B Thai helmet will with ease.

utf-8bUGhvdG8wMzkxLmpwZw.jpg

The main problem with the cheap 200B half-helmets that everyone uses in Thailand isn't the construction, it's the fit and design. They only cover half your head, and often don't stay in position correctly. If the helmet isn't between your head and what it's hitting then it is worthless, and most of those helmets aren't worn correctly and don't stay in position. But a 200B Thai half helmet with EPS if properly fitting is going to be markedly better than say a 4000B Harley skull cap with no EPS, and infinatly better than no helmet at all.

helmet.jpg

A helmets job is to spread the deceleration of the brain over a greater amount of time decreasing the damage from the impact of the soft tissue of the brain against the inside of the skull, including the side opposite to the side impacted as the brain will ricochet back after the initial impact, called a "contra coup" injury. Despite common perception shared by the above poster, it has been proven that the price of a helmet is not directly proportional to it's safety, in fact it can be the opposite:

"In one comprehensive study of real-world impact performance based on research done for Motorcyclist Magazine, presented by Mr. Thom to the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, a $79.95 helmet certified to Transportation Department standards performed the best of the 32 tested, withstanding the most violent hits while transmitting as much as 67 g’s less impact force to the headform than a $400 Snell-certified helmet."

http://www.nytimes.c...SNELL.html?_r=0

The above article got the journalist fired due to "advertiser pressure" which is funny because Snell immediately changed their testing to be in line with his recommendations.

http://jalopnik.com/...ournalist-fired

Shoei and Arai helmets are Fibreglass,not Polycarbonate and therefore have no 'Split Line' down the middle of them.They are much stronger,better and more expensive because of this!

What? You can't walk that far?sick.gif

I walk, even 3 or 400m. I was 'reporting' the daily thing to see: They use the bike for going next door, sometimes!

Why you think, dogs are not used to walking pedestrians?whistling.gif

Edited by noob7