Police Check Driving Wrong Way-Suk Near Ambassador

craigt3365

Going down Sukhumvit the wrong way? What kind of people do this? Unreal...

This is normal here for many Thai's (and some farangs) including motorcycle taxis. I have a hard time believing a Thai will get a 10K baht fine for a normal driving infraction they usually don't enforce. That area is ripe with well off farangs though.whistling.gif

I doubt very much that the fine was 10K Baht, more like 10 Baht I would guess, anyway if it is a high figure they will take the driver license from the Thai driver and ad it to the thousands of licenses that are in the drawer behind the desk at Soi 9 and the Thai will never pay.

Then, today they make a big show of it, and tomorrow they will be gone to never return, similar as with all law enforcements in this country.

I wish they would enforce the traffic laws here as those idiots bring a lot of innocent lifes in danger, but i guess i better just keep dreaming.

There is - and has been - a huge initiative going for about 2 months now, where this "Ghost-Riding' is being particularly prosecuted. This is a Thai Nation Wide effort and the fines ARE at the levels of 10K - 20K PLUS you can be thrown in jail for a Court-Hearing as well ! ! ! This applies to both Thai & Farang drivers, so please beware. Even in a small downtown One-Way Soi: don't drive against traffic: it could cost you a lot of dosh AND some freedom !

1zgarz5.gif

Be Careful ????

Does that mean this is a warning NOT to get caught driving he wrong way ???

Give me a break !

clap2.gif

I think he meant follow the rules, or I hope so, he-he.

Yes they are really cracking down on driving in the wrong direction and turn left in an intersection waiting for green light and drunk driving. It's about time and I hope the police will keeping on doing it next year but I suspect that now 2012 is coming to the end and the police have calculated that they haven't collected enough traffic tickets money for year 2012, and they are really going for it during Nov- Dec month and all will be back to "normal" in Jan 2013.

Be Careful ????

Does that mean this is a warning NOT to get caught driving he wrong way ???

Give me a break !

clap2.gif

It’s a great warning, at least for the ones of us that has gotten accustomed to the driving style here. I was stopped just a few months ago going the wrong way, on the sidewalk without a helmet, all in all 800 Baht. If I would have known it could cost me 10K, I wouldn’t have done what I did.

It's a reminder of the new law that has recently been put into place and to help those who don't know about it to be aware of it. In no way do I condone this, but as TiT, people do all sorts of illegal stuff here and then get upset when they end up in jail with a big fine. There's another post here by a guy who was upset by the fine. He wasn't aware of the new enforcement of this law.

• Like 1

Remember this topic a short while back? Jailed 5 Hours For Illegal U-Turn

If I remember correctly I think it came out in the topic that the person had actually gone the wrong way on Sukhumvit for just a short distance.

I believe it was 10K baht for bail (and alot of inconvenience) but the fine was only 2,000 baht - not the 10K people questioned. But they do get the point across!!!

Edited by gerry53

They are out again today sad.png on Sukhumvit right opposite the Ambassador sign heading towards Sattahip.

These guys are always there on a Sunday, they only check for licenses and maybe when they have the chance nab a "wrong way driver"

They are out again today sad.png on Sukhumvit right opposite the Ambassador sign heading towards Sattahip.

These guys are always there on a Sunday, they only check for licenses and maybe when they have the chance nab a "wrong way driver"

My maid's husband drives the baht bus route from Sattahip to Naklua. He called to tell her to be careful as the police had a few checkpoints setup and were going after scooters who reversed direction to avoid them. He said they were getting 10k for people driving the wrong way (Thai included). First time I've seen this here!

good but wont stop the idiots same as the helmet how many times do you see them put the helmet on if/when they think police are there then take it straight off again but most are that stupid or the thai macho man they wont wear a helmet and the wrong way is because A there to dam_n lazy to go down the road and do a U turn and B it might in there lifetime save them 10 baht in gasoline same as the idiots not using there lights at night think it costs them extra to use them i guess.

At least they are doing somethingblink.png ! maybe one day they will realise they can make money upholding the law!!clap2.gif ! the job they were hired to do?biggrin.png

Or were they told different???thumbsup.gifwhistling.gif

The problem is that they actually ARE making money with upholding the law, for their own pocket that is, and nobody obbeye's the law as they know they can get away for the price of a beer or two.

good but wont stop the idiots same as the helmet how many times do you see them put the helmet on if/when they think police are there then take it straight off again but most are that stupid or the thai macho man they wont wear a helmet and the wrong way is because A there to dam_n lazy to go down the road and do a U turn and B it might in there lifetime save them 10 baht in gasoline same as the idiots not using there lights at night think it costs them extra to use them i guess.

I always thought it would be a good idea to dbl fine the ones caught carrying the helmet but not wearing it.