Driving Licence

Dancealot

สถานีข่นส่งจังหวัดเพชรบูรณ์ at http://phetchabun.jixkr.com/

This is the place where i can get my TDL?

Living in Phetchabun myself, YES this is where you go to get it.

Its on the left side as you leave Phetchaubun heading toward Lomsak, just before the University.

When you drive in there are 3 Buildings, you want the second one down on the right.

Edited by CharlieH

I have been holding a Thai DL valid for cars for many years. Now intending to buy a motorcycle, how would I obtain the respective DL if I was only allowed to drive mopeds back in my home country (which is mentioned in that DL)? Would I have to pass a theoretical and practical test to obtain a motorbike DL here or could I somehow "extend" it from my existing Thai car DL? Your advice is appreciated.

I have been holding a Thai DL valid for cars for many years. Now intending to buy a motorcycle, how would I obtain the respective DL if I was only allowed to drive mopeds back in my home country (which is mentioned in that DL)? Would I have to pass a theoretical and practical test to obtain a motorbike DL here or could I somehow "extend" it from my existing Thai car DL? Your advice is appreciated.

You may be able to get away with changing your DL from your home license, but officially you'll have to do the practical and theory tests, since you don't have a valid motorbike license.

These are two separate licences in Thailand. You cannot extend your car licence and just add motorbikes (as you would in Europe).

That said, if you have a valid international DL from your home country for motorbikes, you can try to have it transcribed to the Thai licence. I did that, but that was many years ago and the laws may have changed.

at pattaya i had to take the theory and practical tests for a motorcycle in the same circumstances as you.

These are two separate licences in Thailand. You cannot extend your car licence and just add motorbikes (as you would in Europe).

That said, if you have a valid international DL from your home country for motorbikes, you can try to have it transcribed to the Thai licence. I did that, but that was many years ago and the laws may have changed.

Thanks for the quick replies from all of you, looks like I have to do it from scratch then, any chance to obtain the traffic rules and signs currently valid online?

You need a license valid for motorbikes for that, which he has indicated not to have. Also, it does not have to be a valid IDP, valid home license is sufficient provided it is in English.

This has been asked, and answered, a number of times over in the motoring forum. Why don't we move this topic over there?

Topic Moved.

In order to your reply i put myself to it to read all 800 replies in this Pinned thread on top of the page in the motor forum.

After hopefully going through the first 100 i am left with more questions and answers because it is not clear in a big thread to get a focused answer. So i will restate/revise my OP now i know more:

* Knowing there is an official government rule when applying i need proof of residence guaranteed and stamped by my MBC.

* dont have a thai driving licence.

* want to get one in february 2013 on a tourist visa without formal proof of residence(The family i live in with will guarantee the address).

* will bring my european driving licence and an international DL.

* i am positive i can get a doctors approval statement.

Is it possible, and if so. How?

This has been asked, and answered, a number of times over in the motoring forum. Why don't we move this topic over there?

Topic Moved.

In order to your reply i put myself to it to read all 800 replies in this Pinned thread on top of the page in the motor forum.

http://www.thaivisa....iving-licences/

After hopefully going through the first 100 i am left with more questions and answers because it is not clear in a big thread to get a focused answer. So i will restate/revise my OP now i know more:

* Knowing there is an official government rule when applying i need proof of residence guaranteed and stamped by my MBC.

* dont have a thai driving licence.

* want to get one in february 2013 on a tourist visa without formal proof of residence(The family i live in with will guarantee the address).

* will bring my european driving licence and an international DL.

* i am positive i can get a doctors approval statement.

Is it possible, and if so. How?

Yes it is possible.

How - as you have read some of the pinned topic you will be aware that every Driving Licence Training Centre (or whatever you want to call it) has its own idiosyncrasies as to what exactly is required and what you have to do. I would suggest getting one of your Thai friends to call up in January and find out exactly what will be required for documents at the place you want to go to. Then try and swot up on the road signs online.

You do not mention if you want a bike or car licence or both. The only logistical problem may be if you need to do the practicals in which case you may need either a bike and or car available.

I was very fortunate in that even though I had only a UK IDP for a car I was given both car and bike licences and only had to do the vision and reaction tests - but that was Pattaya. Oh and that was on a 30 day Visa Waiver and renewed for another year earlier this year again on a visa waiver and only did the vision tests.

Thank you forget taking the trouble to inform me. Those idiosyncrasies you mention are a real challenge and i have been trough a lot of them in Thailand. Just have to stay cool and do not expect anything that day you are in any office is how i handle it.

Just go with the flow :-)

It's only a car licence i eventually want and need.

Your reply gives me more perspective, thanks topt.