Seatbelt Time Again For Thai Politics?: Editorial

webfact

EDITORIAL

Seatbelt time again for Thai politics?

The Nation

Rallies by different mobs and censure debate reveal little change

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's political rivals have been able to agree on only one thing - the country has a false democracy. Apart from that they would rather die rather than be seen agreeing with their opponents. When red-shirts and "Pitak Siam" protesters flex their muscles during the upcoming censure debate, they will proclaim themselves as builders of true democracy and label their enemies as the destroyers. This kind of ideological confrontation may be good for a political system. Anywhere but Thailand, that is.

And here comes the moment again - calm before a storm. Everyone could be on the edge of their seats in a matter of days, if they aren't already familiar with chronic political anxiety. The country is cursed to be continuously held hostage to political fights. The deep divide has gone beyond debating who is right and who is wrong; it only tells us that no ideal really represents interests of everyone. A victory for one side or defeat for the other only means a change of guard or a shift of vested interests from one side to the other. To drag "democracy" into it is just a stretch of a political course that badly misunderstands itself.

Pitak Siam, a "new" anti-government group described by new Pheu Thai leader Charupong Ruangsuwan as "old wine in an old bottle with a new cork", wants to "freeze" what it decries as twisted democracy. The government side and its red-shirt backers call the campaign a thinly-veiled attempt to vilify and then overthrow Thailand's political system. There have been calls for tough national security measures to be imposed against Pitak Siam.

The reversal of roles no longer raises our eyebrows. When one side has power, "freedom of expression" can become a "threat to national security". When you are out of power, it's rebellion with a cause, not mindless terrorism. It has been switching back and forth for some time now in Thailand. Democracy's name has been exploited by everyone - from those who least understand it to those who know it well and can make the best or most vicious use of it.

Red-shirt leaders have vowed to steer away from Pitak Siam protesters. We can see that as a short-term piece of good news or we can feel disheartened by the continued refusal of both rival political camps to engage each other in constructive dialogue. The only place where the red shirts - or more specifically their representatives - can meet their opposite numbers formally is Parliament, but nothing constructive has ever come out of it. Who's to blame is just a question that will drag the national strife on and on.

Make no mistake, there must be true democracy advocates on both camps. They have been just overshadowed by democracy pretenders whose action has contributed to Thailand's regression rather than progression. If the planned charter rewrite is not really for democracy, many of those opposed to it will also have a hard time proclaiming themselves as democratic as well.

The planned political gatherings and censure debate will simply ensure there's no end is in sight for Thailand's political winter. The vicious circle of political tension, violence and then a short break is not going to go away easily. Successive leaders from Thaksin Shinawatra, Samak Sundaravej, Somchai Wongsawat, Abhisit Vejjajiva to Yingluck Shinawatra all harboured false hope that constitutional reform could solve the problems, or security forces could rein in politically angry crowds, or winning an international propaganda warfare would keep opponents at bay.

Truth is, unless sincere reconciliatory steps are taken, the vicious circle will never break. And nobody, especially the government, should have delusions about Thailand's political reality. The situation remains as fragile as before and immediately after the 2010 bloodshed, which was followed by a short spell of "peace" and then tension, which is increasing now.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11-19

"Rallies by different mobs and censure debate reveal little change" AND "Truth is, unless sincere reconciliatory steps are taken, the vicious circle will never break. "

Thailand continues in a vortex that will have it disappearing up its own ass if it does not pull it's political parties into line.

I'm convinced that yellows and reds might better see eye-to-eye if Thaksin's selfish agenda was removed from the equation. I don't think the yellows necessarily bemoan populist policies to uplift the poor provided there aren't rushed to faster track the whitewash. The Reds can just as easily find themselves a new, grassroots, champion who isn't perversely filthy rich. The elite are batting for both sides, hedging their bets for economic returns. The army are just reluctantly being a counter-balance to the Shinawatra juggernaut. It's like a gordian knot of complexities and interest groups latching on to gain a little something in return for loyalties. Ideology is just window dressing.

• Like 2

How can there be true democracy when the majority of the population in the provinces of Isaan will sell themselves for a mere Bt 500?

The usual shortsighted drivel!

The "selling out" of votes a) doesn't only happen in Isan and b ) is not the cause that Thailand has no democracy, but merely a part of it.

There are far more important things and most of them would most likely keep people from selling their votes.

Education, freedom of speech and expression, saying "goodbye" to the traditional system of hierarchy...

But don't let thinking ruin your day!

I don't know where this editorial gets the notion that each side agrees that Tailand has a false democracy. I must have dreamt the universally acclaimed free and fair democratic elections last year.

As for us Isaaners being brought for 500baht. I have just read that the American Democrat and Republican campaigns spent $5.8 billion on their respective campaigns buying votes. The PT government has just completed a new village community centre, which will double as a function hall and a place to administer all the Taksin era village support initiatives, I suppose your going to call that political graft too.

Many countries have political rallies and censure debates, it's called democracy.

• Like 1

And don't let over analyzing ruin your day either.

I'd rather "over analyze" than come up with the most simple and most populist of ideas!

That keeps me from posting crap!

I don't know where this editorial gets the notion that each side agrees that Tailand has a false democracy. I must have dreamt the universally acclaimed free and fair democratic elections last year.

As for us Isaaners being brought for 500baht. I have just read that the American Democrat and Republican campaigns spent $5.8 billion on their respective campaigns buying votes. The PT government has just completed a new village community centre, which will double as a function hall and a place to administer all the Taksin era village support initiatives, I suppose your going to call that political graft too.

Many countries have political rallies and censure debates, it's called democracy.

The Republicans and Democrats spent the money on buying air time on national TV stations, ads in newspapers, billboards etc. just like the companies trying to sell whitening cream to your daughters and wives and you don't claim they are getting paid for using that crappy stuff.

Vote buying is illegal in democratic states but quite common in countries like Zimbabwe and Afghanistan which puts Thailand in nice company.

I also noticed that you did not deny you were paid by PTP for voting "correctly" which, alas, makes your claim of

...] universally acclaimed free and fair democratic elections [...]

null and void, even more so, as the "wrong"party was actively prevented from campaigning in hillbilly redland.

• Like 2

I'd rather "over analyze" than come up with the most simple and most populist of ideas!

We can at least ask the right questions:

Should education teach us how to think?

Should we be free to think critically and express those thoughts?

If yes to the above is the current hiearchy an impediment?

How can there be true democracy when the majority of the population in the provinces of Isaan will sell themselves for a mere Bt 500?

The "selling out" of votes a) doesn't only happen in Isan and b ) is not the cause that Thailand has no democracy, but merely a part of it.

There are far more important things and most of them would most likely keep people from selling their votes.

Education, freedom of speech and expression, saying "goodbye" to the traditional system of hierarchy...

I couldn't agree more. Both opinion are true though... Selling votes is still common in Thailand, but there are many ways to fix it democratically.

As a Thai I wouldn't like to see more coup.

As for the new community centre, it could be burned down in a heartbeat if one of Thaksins stooges commanded it. Don't wait! burn your city halls!

That is great news DockN. I am so happy you have turned over a new leaf. Look forward to your non crap posts.

• Like 1

That is great news DockN. I am so happy you have turned over a new leaf. Look forward to your non crap posts.

I send you my "best of..." except some voluntarily silly ones (5 or so...)! Enjoy and I hope you have a lot of time! wink.png

I have family in Isaan, some of whom ran for offices at various levels in the last few elections. Some won, some lost. Some were Red and some were Yellow. Whatever the color, I can tell you for a fact that the going price of 500 baht per vote has become a thing of the past in this particular neck of the woods. It's much higher now.

I can also tell you of a scene which I personally witnessed with my own eyes several months ago. One of my relatives (Red, but I don't think it would be any different if his shirt were a different color), was sitting on a bench out of sight of the street and counting up a pile of banknotes with his wife. He is a Pooyai, and he was dividing the large cache of money that had just been delivered to him by party elders. It was almost like an old joke as he put the bills into two seperate piles. You know, "one for me, and one for for a vote, one for me, and one for another vote, ..." I asked how themy wife what that was all about. She said that the money was dxelivered to him for buying votes for his party, and he was taking his "cut" out of the pile. Of course he was sealing it from the party, but that thought never occured to him. After all, this is why he borrowed something like 200,000 baht to buy his election the year before, and he had to pay back the money some way, didn't he? Nobody in the village expects anything less, nor anything more.

To the people of this Isaan village, this exactly the way the game is played. Heck, if there isn't going to be corruption, then why run for office?

The system is democratic to the extent that it appears to me to be the system that the majority of people around here want. Hardly anyone wants to change the system, they only want to get in on it. And it is fair to the extent that everyone has an equal chance to cheat everyone else. (Granted, as in all other democracies, the rich always have an edge) In some ways it is the quintessential Thai dream: The best is, of course, is to win the lottery; next best is to buy your way into an "elected for life" position that handles a lot of public money; and coming in third is to get a farang to support you (which, incidentally, is literally called "winning the lottery" around these parts).

Democratic? That's what they call democracy around here. And everyone looks forward to the next election.

• Like 1

True democracy is out the window the moment one vote is bought or sold if i understand it correctly.

Education, freedom of speech and exp<b></b>ression, saying "goodbye" to the traditional system of hierarchy...

True democracy is out the window the moment one vote is bought or sold if i understand it correctly.

If you haven't worked it out yet, all sides give, and to be perfectly honest, what guarantee is it of a vote anyway.

It will die out eventually when it really is proven to be a complete waste of money. That will be when the political fun really starts. I really see little difference between paying for a vote before or after, it will eventually grow to basic political ideology.

Right wing taxes down, government smaller, left wing social etc. The clearest sign that the democrats have never grown up is that at a point ptp/trt covered both spectrums. If only the dems had bothered to give a s**t about isaan, none of this crap would ever have happened.

• Like 1

Until the Thai people realize that they are being taken advantage of AND demand better of their own local politicians, no improvement to their lives will ever take place. They must be willing to elect people who will do the right thing for their constituents. And they must keep these politicians honest and vote them out when they take advantage of their position and fail their constituents.

Only then will they get schools that actually teach, a police force that is trained and disciplined, so that finding criminals and preventing crime is their primary job, instead of taking bribes and protecting criminals. A judicial system that fairly enforces the law on all, regardless of wealth or social status.

This is the same problem facing many if not most countries in the world. And please don't think that just because you are from a educated, industrialized western country that this does not apply to you.