Video: Obama-Yingluck Press Conference

webfact

Some might have noticed there was a question and some talk about Thai food at the press conference. Obama mentioned that Thai food is one of his favorites and when asked to mention some specific Thai dishes he copped out and said he likes it all. Diplomatic perhaps but rather weak. So ... do the Obamas really like Thai food all that much? I think they have good taste in food in D.C. and Chicago, but note in this photo list, not ONE Thai restaurant! Some pundits are calling this Green Curry Gate!

Of course, perhaps the white house kitchen chefs can cook good Thai food but the public demands to know what Thai food he ate, and when did he eat it!

http://www.washingto...ry.html#photo=1

It is the typically banal question asked in Thailand, a bit like, "how are you", in English conversation. No one expects a long diatribe as an answer.

What was he supposed to say? "can't stand it, too spicy."

I reckon he does love Thai food and also likes spicy food in general. Most people of his wealth and sophistication in the U.S. are quite familiar with Thai food and based on his restaurant habits in D.C. it is clear to me he really appreciates good food. I just think he was jet-lagged and not prepared to say the "right" answer. I think he has more important things on his mind. Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some might have noticed there was a question and some talk about Thai food at the press conference. Obama mentioned that Thai food is one of his favorites and when asked to mention some specific Thai dishes he copped out and said he likes it all. Diplomatic perhaps but rather weak. So ... do the Obamas really like Thai food all that much? I think they have good taste in food in D.C. and Chicago, but note in this photo list, not ONE Thai restaurant! Some pundits are calling this Green Curry Gate!

Of course, perhaps the white house kitchen chefs can cook good Thai food but the public demands to know what Thai food he ate, and when did he eat it!

It is the typically banal question asked in Thailand, a bit like, "how are you", in English conversation. No one expects a long diatribe as an answer.

I reckon he does love Thai food and also likes spicy food in general. Most people of his wealth and sophistication in the U.S. are quite familiar with Thai food and based on his restaurant habits in D.C. it is clear to me he really appreciates good food. I just think he was jet-lagged and not prepared to say the "right" answer. I think he has more important things on his mind.

Steady on. Wealth and sophistication? When he actually gets to eat with his family, you reckon they regularly eat Thai.

With his lifestyle, I reckon he would be happy enough with a burger on the grill.

I reckon he does love Thai food and also likes spicy food in general. Most people of his wealth and sophistication in the U.S. are quite familiar with Thai food and based on his restaurant habits in D.C. it is clear to me he really appreciates good food. I just think he was jet-lagged and not prepared to say the "right" answer. I think he has more important things on his mind.

Steady on. Wealth and sophistication? When he actually gets to eat with his family, you reckon they regularly eat Thai.

With his lifestyle, I reckon he would be happy enough with a burger on the grill.

He eats whatever he likes! They have a world class kitchen and chefs at the white house, of course. Then there is always takeout as well.

http://www.urbanspoo...hai-Restaurants

It has been noted he does eat out at local restaurants more than other presidents.

The current head chef is Filipino-American and I really would be surprised if she can't cook Thai dishes:

http://en.wikipedia....steta_Comerford

Edited by Jingthing

By, chance I heard the Press Conference shown in English only,

without translation, at Channel 7 in which Obama and Yingluck made statements first.

Than as soon as the first question had been called,

a Thai commentator seemed to summon up the statements in a minute? making it impossible to understand the question made from somebody of the Thai press? and also drowned the first sentences of Yingluck's answer and than,

the Live Coverage stopped! nixweiss.gif

A soap opera was broadcast! khammer.gif

I checked all other Mass TV channels, 3. 5 and so on and nowhere was that Press Conference shown!

I had to change to CNN to hear and see that event Live.

I realized only one thing clearly, Obama always spoke of -Burma- and Yingluck always spoke of -Myanmar- tongue.png

But please, why did no Thai TV channel show such a Press Conference LIVE?

When it is important enough, that CNN did show it!

Fear, what will be spoken, from Thai TV, from the Thai politicians, Yingluck?

Just ignorance?

How often come US Presidents to TH?

Not important enough, -soap operas- more important? kopfpatsch.gif

Do not understand that!

Edited by ALFREDO

It was shown fully and live on Fox.

There was a hilarious scene of the Fox crowd after the end of conference with looks on their faces that said to me they couldn't believe how totally incoherent PM Yingluck was. But they were too diplomatic to SAY what their expressions were saying, but interestingly the first thing they said was to report a TWEET saying something like Thailand's leader was a lot PRETTIER. I've said it before, Yingluck is the opposite of a feminist inspiration.

By, chance I heard the Press Conference shown in English only,

without translation, at Channel 7 in which Obama and Yingluck made statements first.

Than as soon as the first question had been called,

a Thai commentator seemed to summon up the statements in a minute? making it impossible to understand the question made from somebody of the Thai press? and also drowned the first sentences of Yingluck's answer and than,

the Live Coverage stopped! nixweiss.gif

A soap opera was broadcast! khammer.gif

I checked all other Mass TV channels, 3. 5 and so on and nowhere was that Press Conference shown!

I had to change to CNN to hear and see that event Live.

I realized only one thing clearly, Obama always spoke of -Burma- and Yingluck always spoke of -Myanmar- tongue.png

Just ignorance?

Do not understand that!

That really was astonishing wasn't it. Morning news this morning. Shootings, motorcycle thefts. As though it never happened.

There was a hilarious scene of the Fox crowd after the end of conference with looks on their faces that said to me they couldn't believe how totally incoherent PM Yingluck was. But they were too diplomatic to SAY what their expressions were saying, but interestingly the first thing they said was to report a TWEET saying something like Thailand's leader was a lot PRETTIER. I've said it before, Yingluck is the opposite of a feminist inspiration.

Yeah, those FOX folks are so diplomatic ... esp. when it comes to all things Obama.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear ........................ where do we begin? It's politcis and Obama does his best in the interests of America.

Fine.

But really, having to meet with this third world, strangled inarticulate english speaker from a corrupt dictatorial family really does rank up there with the best of the barrell bottom scrapers.

Unlike Myanmar where progress and change are to be made, unlike a former enemy Vietnam where trade is booming, unlike Cambodia where international justice is being delivered by its own judicial system, Thailand, the never occupied, fought over, compliant, blow with the wind military dominated, politically gridlocked backwater remains the incest riddled cousin you never want to visit.

I actually find Obama's presence embarrassing. I do think he could be better spending his time on world issues, is something happening in Gaza right now, rather than wasting his time here. Apart from using Thailand as an airstrip or most likely an offshore base for some war ship that delivers him to and from the helicopter, the miltary base, Airforce 1 and out of here, I can think of no useful purpose for his visit.

I find it laughable that the Thais in their ingratiating grovelling to this super power offer, and thereby think they can provide any form of security. In reality the US will have ordered the Thai military to stay away or else.

Personally, I do wish Obama had stayed away and thereby sent a much more effective message to the Shinawatra clan; their kind is unwelcome.

One can find "fault" with any country for Obama to visit... The visit is nothing but a symbol to Thais that the USA looks at Thailand is important. If the average Joe in USA had his/her way, they would rather have him in the USA not doing diplomatic PR (except with Israel of course - the USA 51 state). The Republicans would want him to deal with accusations from Fox (Bias) News.

I thought it was the other way round: the USA is a province of Israel.

No ... it's American politicians are slaves to the American Jewish vote.

I believe, so it was on CNN to.

But what is your opinion that the Thai TV channels did not show the Press conference and Channel 7 stopped the Live coverage same time the questions of Journalists where beginning.

Showing everywhere the Thai style soap operas instead!

Is that right? Looks completely crazy for me! whistling.gif

Just ignorance?

Do not understand that!

That really was astonishing wasn't it. Morning news this morning. Shootings, motorcycle thefts. As though it never happened.

So, what is the conclusion? Why the TV channels stopped broadcasting? Or did not show the Press conference at all. Fear from what? rolleyes.gif

I love the expression (s) on Yingyuck's face when the Bloomberg reporter asked her about Obama requesting prayers from the Monk at Wat Po... she obviously was totally lost and almost in a panic as she summoned someone to come and translate for her..blink.png ...what is she saying...? What did she ask..?? Hellllpppp?? Someone Hellllppp!

I saw that and agree it wasn't her finest moment, though the absolute consternation on her face and the rapid summoning of a flunky I must confess made me snigger.Still what did we expect, Talleyrand or Metternich?

However I had the impression her consternation was mostly related to the other part of the Bloomberg reporter's question, namely her view - I'm paraphrasing - on western style democracy or the Chinese model (free markets without other freedoms).It's actually a really good question and it would be interesting to know where she stands (I'm guessing she doesn't really think about such things!).I suspect most other Thai politicians (including both Thaksin and Abhisit) may , despite democratic rhetoric, far prefer the Chinese model.

• Like 1

Oooooooooh, please....let me hear the Fox News oppinion on this!

That's what really interests me, what a bunch of right wing nuts, homophobic, islamophobic, restoftheuniversophobic, semi- nazis are saying about it!

coffee1.gif

I can't understand a bloody thing she is saying.

I hear from Thais that her knowledge of the Thai language is barely better than her English skills.

For someone who supposedly spent 4 years studying at an American university necessitating her passing a TOEFL exam, her English skills might make one wonder if she somehow "earned" her degree in a non traditional manner. I mean non traditional in the American educational system. As anyone who lives in Thailand knows, their certificates and a good number of degrees, are the best money can buy.

Just ignorance?

Do not understand that!

So, what is the conclusion? Why the TV channels stopped broadcasting? Or did not show the Press conference at all. Fear from what? rolleyes.gif

I don't know. A nice little nationalistic Swype to show a bit of power to the people. We don't need no US president.....

Like why was he wasting his time here at all!

I love the expression (s) on Yingyuck's face when the Bloomberg reporter asked her about Obama requesting prayers from the Monk at Wat Po... she obviously was totally lost and almost in a panic as she summoned someone to come and translate for her..blink.png ...what is she saying...? What did she ask..?? Hellllpppp?? Someone Hellllppp!

I saw that and agree it wasn't her finest moment, though the absolute consternation on her face and the rapid summoning of a flunky I must confess made me snigger.Still what did we expect, Talleyrand or Metternich?

Neither of whom are noted for their command of the Thai Language!

Or English, for that matter.

Edited by easyas

Oh, that period during World War II was just Thailand bending with the wind from Japan...then when the Allies won WWII Thailand was just bending with the wind from he U.S. Thailand is a very flexible...when it comes to relations with other countries they are masters of Kama Sutra.

After the slaughter the Japanese wreaked on the Philippine and Chinese population, to some extent one can't really blame the Thai's for their attitude.

Not forgetting how the Allies simply abandoned Malaysia, in particular Penang, and left the population completely undefended against the Japanese. The Thai 's siding with the Japanese was a sensible move in terms of survival.

The British held off as best they could, until they were forced to surrender. Can't fight off the aggressors when you're not prepared. That was in the early part of the war, and the Asia / Pacific theater was a big one. Logistically, it was also very difficult to supply forces into SE Asia as well. Plus, there was this huge resource allocation into Europe as well.

Anybody here know how she perfroms when she speaks in Thai? I mean, I am sure she is fluent, but is she a good speaker, or.....

Probably better than:

''As yesterday's positive report card shows, childrens do learn when standards are high and results are measured.''

— President George W. Bush, on the No Child Left Behind Act, Washington, D.C., Sept. 26, 2007

or

"I've abandoned free market principles to save the free market system."

— The very same George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Dec. 16, 2008

or, again

"This thaw -- took a while to thaw, it's going to take a while to unthaw."

— George W. Bush, on liquidity in the markets, Alexandria, La., Oct. 20, 2008

crazy.gifcrazy.gif

• Like 1

Fox News report is quite funny, well as funny as Fox News can get..... especially at the end when they say how great Yingyuck's English is ! w00t.gif

well it's certainly improved drastically from what i heard of it!

the lack of bashing in this thread is a testament to that in itself.

btw, never watch fox news, funny as it can be, it's bad for your brain... and your soul.

Anybody here know how she perfroms when she speaks in Thai? I mean, I am sure she is fluent, but is she a good speaker, or.....

I'm afraid her Thai is poor too, in Thai if you want to make an adjective into a noun you add khwam at the front, for example, able- samart สามารถ becomes ability- khwamsamart < Thai script removed, you can use Thai script in the Thai language forum, not here >

whilst verbs become nouns by adding kan, ie smoke soob buree สูบบุหรี่ becomes smoking kansoob buree การสูบบุหรี่ but our beautiful Prime Minister often mixes them up, so you get, for example, kansamart,ugh!

It's the sort of mistake a rather slow primary school student will make!

Edited by metisdead
: Thai script removed.
  • Like 1

Two highlights: toward the end Obama made a comment about corruption, the need to bribe someone to have a telephone installed. I get what he was saying, but phone installation is a bit outdated in these days of SIM cards as easy to buy as peanuts.

The PM saying Thailand cares about the welfare of the people of Burma

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif