Obama's Visit: Happy Memories As Bangkok's Wat Pho Becomes Famous

webfact

OBAMA'S VISIT

Happy memories as Wat Pho becomes famous

THE NATION

30194669-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton joked with Wat Pho assistant abbot Phra Suthee Thammanuwat that the temple had been making a lot of money and could afford to support the US president's charity work.

The assistant abbot said Clinton made the remark when the monk, the Secretary of State and President Barack Obama were seen laughing together. Obama and Clinton visited Wat Pho on Sunday afternoon, shortly after he arrived in Bangkok.

"Several people asked me what we were talking about when we were seen laughing. At that moment, Clinton asked how many people visited the temple a day. I said that about 7,000 to 8,000 people visited and foreigners were charged Bt100 each," Phra Suthee Thammanuwat said.

"Clinton responded that the temple was making a lot of money and should be able to support Obama's work in helping poor children.

"I replied that the US president and his entourage should instead support the temple because the visit prompted half of the temple to be closed and caused the temple to lose money."

The assistant abbot said Obama and Clinton were very respectful, taking their shoes off before entering the chapels and other sacred areas.

The monk said Obama offered a large gift box to the temple, but it had yet to be unwrapped.

Obama has also presented three glasses in a box as a gift from the White House to the temple.

The president signed a guest book at the temple and was presented with a book about Wat Pho before leaving.

The monk said Obama's visit made the temple even more famous because the world media was reporting his visit. He added that he the CNN and Associated Press |had also interviewed him about the visit.

He said he was proud of projecting a good image for Thai monks because he was able to speak to a global leader without needing an interpreter.

Many Thais and foreign tourists thronged to Wat Pho yesterday and several thousands were seen at the Reclining Buddha, which Obama visited on Sunday afternoon.

Tourist guide Jarunit Yurob said he believed Obama's visit helped draw more foreign tourists to the temple.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11- 20

"Several people asked me what we were talking about when we were seen laughing. At that moment, Clinton asked how many people visited the temple a day. I said that about 7,000 to 8,000 people visited and foreigners were charged Bt100 each," Phra Suthee Thammanuwat said.

"Clinton responded that the temple was making a lot of money and should be able to support Obama's work in helping poor children

Obviously she did not do her homework on Thai culture?

Cost of admission increased 100% in January from 50 Bt to 100, 700,000 Bt a day not bad work if you can get it! I wonder where it goes?

Sounds like Hillary was commenting on the way the temple required admission. Places of worship charging for entrance?

Clinton responded that the temple was making a lot of money and should be able to support Obama's work in helping poor children.

She doesn't know that sarcasm is lost on Thais. :rolleyes:

The first time that I'm proud of my President. A very respectful audience with HM the King, and a trip to Burma.

Please be careful my friend. It appears you are on the verge of MSOMOS. Multiple Spontaneous Obama Messianic Orgasm Syndrome. This could be hazardous to your health.

• Like 1

"I replied that the US president and his entourage should instead support the temple because the visit prompted half of the temple to be closed and caused the temple to lose money."

Perhaps the abbot should be angry at the touts who stand outside Wat Pho and Wat Phra Kaew everyday and divert thousands of visitors away using their tuk-tuk-jewelry-rugs scams. These folks cause the temple to lose money. At least a visit by a famous leader might generate some business to make up for the lost revenues of just a few hours.

Besides... I did not realize the wat was in the business of making a profit. Tool!

Joseph & Mary made a prophet, why shouldn't a Buddhist temple?"rolleyes.gif

Surely Wat Pho (Po) was famous long before Obama came here? Millions of tourists have visited ths famous temple and seen its treasures. Has TAT been remiss?

A bit like saying Shwedagon Pagoda in Rangoon-Yangon is now famous because BHO was there.

The first time that I'm proud of my President. A very respectful audience with HM the King, and a trip to Burma.

Please be careful my friend. It appears you are on the verge of MSOMOS. Multiple Spontaneous Obama Messianic Orgasm Syndrome. This could be hazardous to your health.

You're right. For a moment there MSOMOS gave me a thrill up my leg. I'll be more careful in the future. But I'm sure that there is nothing possibly more he can do to make me proud, other than resigning.

the most important man in the world

For you maybe, not for everybody.

+1

President of the United States is one of and arguably still the most important person in the world. If you lack the geopolitical accumen to understand this, it has no bearing on the fact.

That is just ignorant.

I assume you're referring to the same world that hosts the baseball World Series, and all the countries in it that participate in that sporting competition?

• Like 1

Perharps more International Media should cover on the true materialistic aspects of Buddhist Temples in thailand and how rich they are and how the rich monks have their own bank accounts, live in air-con rooms with TVs and computers etc...all which are againsts the true emaning of buddhism and also they can also cover on the distorted form of buddhism that is practiced in thailand ie monks who eat meat, bars and a go-go joints that have an alter on stage, rituals perforemed by monks for money etc, thai amulets for fighting and protection from bullets......its simply hilarious!

Bu the best part....thais hate Indians and Nepalese but they pary to a buddha that is one. They hate Indians but pray to hindu gods. Simply hilarious these 'people'

why are you ranting ignorantly about monks?

and if a go-go joint has an alter what does that have to do with the wat pho.

get a grip man

Dear Hugo,

No one is ranting ignorantly about the monks.....perharps its you who are living in denial or perharps you or one of your kind must be like one of those materialistic monks.....please go out and visit most of these temples and see how these monks live and the assets they have built and then go and learn real buddhism and wht it stands for and then make your comments. Stop living in denial or ignorance.

I thought it was the temple of the Emerald Buddha which charged admission....don't say that Wat Phra Chetuphon (Wat Pho) has also???

Many foreigners used to go there for a massage and even to learn...it is a renouned school of Massage.

I always preferred it to Wat Phra Geaw..

@Jaivin ..monks are not forbidden to eat meat. Also in this modern age computers are a tool to benefit communication. Having one does not mean one uses it for playing games. There are many excellent websites devoted to Dhamma and the teachings of great monks, the sites for meditation centres, etc.

"Clinton responded that the temple was making a lot of money and should be able to support Obama's work in helping poor children

Obviously she did not do her homework on Thai culture?

Cost of admission increased 100% in January from 50 Bt to 100, 700,000 Bt a day not bad work if you can get it! I wonder where it goes?

It doesn't say they're all foreigners.

All Thais (and people that look Thai) don't pay.