Govt Enforces Internal Security Act For Nine Days In Heart Of Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was reading in another English language paper that the police chief said ISA was being enforced partly due to a credible plot the kidnap the PM. The cynic in me says this is a way out so she does not have to face questions in the censure, IE stay home under police guard.

This whole situation will no doubt generate some interesting, and clever (but false), conspiracy theories, including the one above.

If the theory above is being used, then again one wonders how long it takes for the naive populace to see through the smokescreen.

The day will come, not tomorrow, batten down the hatches when it does happen.

Edited by scorecard

I was reading in another English language paper that the police chief said ISA was being enforced partly due to a credible plot the kidnap the PM. The cynic in me says this is a way out so she does not have to face questions in the censure, IE stay home under police guard.

The other newspaper also reported that the police banned people below 18 to attend the demonstrations. If that has any relations with the kidnap plan?

The other newspaper also reported that the police banned people below 18 to attend the demonstrations. If that has any relations with the kidnap plan?

Uh? On what grounds. Interesting ploy.

They ARE scared this time.

I wonder what we don't yet know....

I wonder what became known to chalerm within the past 48 hours that led to the huge flip flop from when he stated the ISA was "categorically ruled out" ... :ermm::unsure:

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 2

yep.. if you have kids you have to stay home and look after them... cuts down on protesters.. also the Police don't want to be seen on world media teargassing kids

protection the kids against the violence they (the police) have planned?

yep.. if you have kids you have to stay home and look after them... cuts down on protesters.. also the Police don't want to be seen on world media teargassing kids

Yep CNN, BBC and the rest love replaying kids getting hit/burnt by a tear gas canister.

Are there gonna be water cannons at this event? They forgot to bring them to the last one. Thats another catchy news clip.

" .... He said 23,000 civilian volunteers will also be on standby at 192 Bangkok police stations. ...."

Are they going to wear red or black shirts?

Brown shirts

Brown shirts with nice red armbands?

23,000 police vlounteers - concerned citizens wanting to help keep the peace and rule of law and order; or the red shirt storm troopers waiting in the wings to kick the crap out of anyone who has a different view to the current "government"?

A few agent provocateurs in the crowd, poor police under pressure, send for the volunteers to support................... straight out of Mein Kampf or the Mugabe book on democracy. Pershaps the Ugandan gangster provided some advice on his recent visit.

• Like 2

The government's handling of the protest was in complete disregard of established procedures, which include tanks and live ammo fire.

Well...maybe it was!

But the crux was, letting the Reds settle and make camp!

I understand, that the police (rather on "red" side of things) wasn't very helpful.

That, by the way, being IMHO the biggest scandal of the whole thing!

Right on DocN. Khun A. should have had the protestors removed immediately. But hind sight is always better. Maybe he thought he could count on the police I don't know but we know now. Hopefuly all have attended the "lessons learned class" and the next time a mob starts setting up in the streets just simply disperse them.

Well the typical farang view is that he should have dispered the reds using whatever means necessary, and quick smart.

Well (rightly or wrongly) that's not the Thai way, which expects a low key wait and see approach (total avoidance of confrontation) and IMHO there would be a very large number of Thais who liked the way Abhisit played it sofly.

Indeed. On the basis that if it goes on for extended periods, the women keep the crowd numbers up in the day, quite a novel idea.

How can you be confused Abhisit ?? You know what you have done some year's ago you stand behind one of the worst violence in Thai history !!!

The ISA was not enforced prior to the red shirt rally but only after the police did not do their job & perhaps even facilitated the influx of people with weapons & gasoline. And then there was Samak (a recent puppet PM) back in the 70s as interior minister who managed to make the army believe the student protesters were communist insurgents which led to a huge number of deaths.

I don't think it was meant that way, but Abhisit is responsible a bit, because if he would have cleaned out the police from the beginning and fire the police boss on the second day of not following his orders (or even better reinstall the police boss Samak kicked out) than it could have been less violent alone by cutting the money flow from the beginning.

How true / nice theory, but in reality how do you (quickly) kick out a brotherhood which protects it's own and which has a nasty powerbase (money) on the side lines, which in reality ensures that the brotherhood follows a certain line?

Money flow, nice point again, the unfortunate bottom line here is that there are many ways to skin a cat, you can plug the (non bank) money flow but 5 minutes later those determined will easily invent a new way to move / distribute / hide the cash.

Is anybody going to 'blow the whistle'? No, totally afraid to do so.

Edited by scorecard

Interesting from the point of view of what evidence has there been so far indicating violence, kidnap, etc. None that I'm aware of.

Roughly 1 police officer to be deployed for every 3 protesters, plus 23,000 civilian volunteers on stand-by 'just in case'. My oh my, those Siam Pitak guys must be really really dangerous.

Not to mention the additional 200,000 Red Shirts waiting for the whistle to blow before being amassing in Bangkok within 2 hours by someone calling himself Issan Rambo.

They ARE scared this time.

I wonder what we don't yet know....

I wonder what became known to chalerm within the past 48 hours that led to the huge flip flop from when he stated the ISA was "categorically ruled out" ... ermm.gifunsure.png

I had to laugh when I read that Abhisit can’t understand why they the opposition are taking so many security measures. Well I would say that they want things to go a lot smoother than the last protests that Abhisit did nothing about when he was the PM.

A good way of dealing with this would naturally be to enforce the ISA and a good way of doing this would be to get a message rolleyes.gif that the PM was going to be taken hostage, bingo the ISA is enforced. clap2.gif

Now that it is enforced, the protest organisers are now told to be good boys and all Gov buildings are NO GO areas and are signed that way. 18 year olds are not allowed to protest, I would say because they are usually the hot heads and troublemakers and are easily leddrunk.gif after having a few.

The police Commissioner 16,800 men on duty and 23,000 civilians volunteers on duty as well, just for the protesters. Crikey nearly 40,000 in riot gear to look after 40 to 50,000 protesters. So can’t see much really happening here.

Personally, I think it will all be a storm in a tea cup.

Seems Prime Minister Yingluck can do no wrong lately in the eyes of the people and the eyes of other Nations. She certainly has made a lot of deals in the last couple of months.giggle.gif

• Like 1

How can you be confused Abhisit ?? You know what you have done some year's ago you stand behind one of the worst violence in Thai history !!!

The ISA was not enforced prior to the red shirt rally but only after the police did not do their job & perhaps even facilitated the influx of people with weapons & gasoline. And then there was Samak (a recent puppet PM) back in the 70s as interior minister who managed to make the army believe the student protesters were communist insurgents which led to a huge number of deaths.

I don't think it was meant that way, but Abhisit is responsible a bit, because if he would have cleaned out the police from the beginning and fire the police boss on the second day of not following his orders (or even better reinstall the police boss Samak kicked out) than it could have been less violent alone by cutting the money flow from the beginning.

How true / nice theory, but in reality how do you (quickly) kick out a brotherhood which protects it's own and which has a nasty powerbase (money) on the side lines, which in reality ensures that the brotherhood follows a certain line?

Money flow, nice point again, the unfortunate bottom line here is that there are many ways to skin a cat, you can plug the (non bank) money flow but 5 minutes later those determined will easily invent a new way to move / distribute / hide the cash.

Is anybody going to 'blow the whistle'? No, totally afraid to do so.

Of course it isn't easy, therefor the smart boy is premier and not me....

But they could freeze the accounts on the height of the problems, why not doing it weeks/month before? (And keep the frozen money till the cases about money laundry are finished).

Police is of course difficult but he didn't even begin with it.

Are you sure???

On 25 August 2009, the Thai Cabinet approved the use of Thailand’s Internal Security Act B.E. 2551 (2008) in the area of Dusit District of Bangkok to be effective from 29 August to 1 September 2009, in light of the demonstrations set to take place on 30 August.

• The Government has deemed it necessary to invoke the Internal Security Act in this case because based on the reports from intelligence and security agencies, there are possibilities that the demonstrations could be prolonged, and that a third party may seek to instigate unrest or escalate the situation, which would then affect peace and security of the country.

http://www.thaiembas...-district-bangk

Wrong year in relation to the posts you are quoting.

:coffee1:

• Like 1

Oh you mean the violence of sending in troops to battle protestors who were packing assault rifles and grenade launchers?

No, I think he means the use of snipers to shoot unarmed people, nurses, journalists and ordinary Thai folk who were shot just for being there.

There is NO evidence whatsoever that security forces managed to shoot an armed person.

really nurses were shot? according to which source? i seemed to have missed it

• Like 1