Another Motorbike Taxi Accident...

phuturatica

Yes - that could have been a nasty accident - you were lucky. I've had a few scary moments on motorsai taxis - but nothing serious so far. When I know I'm going to be using one - I carry my own helmet (the ones they have never fit properly). I don't use my proper motorbike lid, as it's a too heavy to cart around all day - but I use a skateboard helmet. I reckon it's better than nothing and road speeds are never that high on Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok. I also wear sunglasses - as I don't fancy an insect or stone in the eye ...... but I'd not thought about trees!

But sometimes when the traffic snarles up and I switch from a taxi to a motorsai - I wont have my helmet - and I feel vulnerable .... would be great if someone could invent a folding helmet.

Edited by Familyonthemove

Yes - that could have been a nasty accident - you were lucky. I've had a few scary moments on motorsai taxis - but nothing serious so far. When I know I'm going to be using one - I carry my own helmet (the ones they have never fit properly). I don't use my proper motorbike lid, as it's a too heavy to cart around all day - but I use a skateboard helmet. I reckon it's better than nothing and road speeds are never that high on Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok. I also wear sunglasses - as I don't fancy an insect or stone in the eye ...... but I'd not thought about trees!

But sometimes when the traffic snarles up and I switch from a taxi to a motorsai - I wont have my helmet - and I feel vulnerable .... would be great if someone could invent a folding helmet.

http://gizmodo.com/5880814/this-folding-bike-helmet-is-an-urban-cyclists-dream-come-true

http://www.dahon.com/accessories/2010/pango-folding-helmet

I stopped riding motorbike taxis about a year ago.

Even though I never had an accident, the way they drive and their obvious lack of respect even to their own life, just made me decide it's not worth the risk. Even if you "just" have a slight injury, such as a broken arm or leg, it's not worth the time and/or money it saves.

So I walk 15 minutes to the BTS station every time I want to go somewhere, and it's a bit hot, but I am sure I will get there safe...

same same. When i go to the Laos embassy i go by MRT to Hwai Kwang. I insist they go slowly

because they dont even offer a helmet. they say yes ok and then they still go like lunatics. That's it - no more.

Last time i walked there and back even though it was hot.

I do notice there a big red songthaew for the locals and stuff it - next time i will go on that maybe.

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1

i hate how the guys at the motorcycle taxi stand i use everyday to get to work all seem to have long flowing hair and of course no helmet. So every morning im exercising my lung power, trying to hold my breath for the entire 1 min ride as their hair flutters in my face, and their scalp fumes engulf me. i probably look funny stretching my head as far backwards as i can.

Make loud brumm brumm noises while you are doing this, see what reactions you get.

http://gizmodo.com/5...dream-come-true

http://www.dahon.com...-folding-helmet

Thanks - that Dahon helmet may be an option as there's some Dahon dealers in BKK.

Glad to hear you will live to ride another day. I only ever used ones I had come to know and surprisingly the older guys were better. In a former life in Oz I was a motorcycle rider training instructor and we did our training with the police unit a consequence of which I vowed I would never use a motosai here but, they can be a life saver (pun intended). I used to look in horror as they would pull the clutch in and 'coast' around corners or accelerate into a closing space w00t.gif It is interesting that even though Red Bull, a Thai company and sponsor of so much motor sports and every man and his dog are on bikes from an early age,....... there isn't one Thai MotoGP rider ...it must tell us something .... although I don't know quite what.

Get a decent helmet ....TODAY !!!!!

It doesnt just happen to you, its quite simple, you are living in a country where many people have no common sense at all and "accidents" like this are common place. "accident" being a very loose term as 99.9% are totally avoidable

Take as many precautions as you can and then expect some grinning <deleted> to hit you anyway, then he/she will turn round, blame you or claim they have " no money"

I just look at all of them as complete W*****ers

Whether its true or not I dont know but my wife said no one will insure motorcycles here??? I suspect not true if you have a big bike?

Edited by rattler

Probably time to invest in a decent helmet of your own....and your own bike to go with it. Stay safe.

I wouldn't dare drive in Bangkok! My death wish isn't that bad... I already do enough getting on the back of a motorbike taxi. I am thinking about investing in a helmet though, especially to and from work.

I felt the same way, but if you are willing to get onto a motorbike taxi then you are already risking the traffic and, as you have alluded too, letting somebody you can't trust do the work for you. However I respect your thoughts on this one. For a helmet PLEASE do not buy from Tesco. Spend at least B2,000. The base "acceptable" level for a helmet is a "REAL" helmet (brand name). They wouldn't pass the UK tests, but they are well constructed by local standards and they have the ability to change the padding inside to allow you get the perfect fit. You are better off with a well fitting cheap helmet than a poor fitting expensive one.

Stay safe.

• Like 1

It doesnt just happen to you, its quite simple, you are living in a country where many people have no common sense at all and "accidents" like this are common place. "accident" being a very loose term as 99.9% are totally avoidable

Take as many precautions as you can and then expect some grinning <deleted> to hit you anyway, then he/she will turn round, blame you or claim they have " no money"

Whether its true or not I dont know but my wife said no one will insure motorcycles here??? I suspect not true if you have a big bike?

Of course you can get insurance for your motorbike here.

I do believe that it is very difficult to find an insurance company that will include theft in the cover though.

Of course you can get insurance for your motorbike here.

I do believe that it is very difficult to find an insurance company that will include theft in the cover though.

They laughed when I asked about fully comp. I don't blame them, I ride a 7 year old Suzuki Best. Who is going to nick that?

Don't get on or in vehicles that are being commandeered by people who only have the mental capability to safely man a buffalo and cart.

Why did you not insist on a helmet and tell him to slow down?

You dictate to Thais servants how to act, not the other way around.

Even though I never had an accident, the way they drive and their obvious lack of respect even to their own life, just made me decide it's not worth the risk. Even if you "just" have a slight injury, such as a broken arm or leg, it's not worth the time and/or money it saves.

So I walk 15 minutes to the BTS station every time I want to go somewhere, and it's a bit hot, but I am sure I will get there safe...

Unless you get nailed by one driving like a maniac on the sidewalklaugh.png

Be careful with those pot holes, live overhead cables, soi dogs, zebra crossings, motorcycles riding on the pavement and all manner of stuff falling off buildings.

they are a commercial vehicle, are they required to carry insurance?

As far as I know they are only tolerated by the police, who naturally make collections from the queue leaders, but they are not legally recognised taxis and drivers only need a normal motor bike licence, which, of course, many don't bother with. Therefore your legal position is that of someone who takes a ride on a friend's motor cycle. I am not sure that legal taxis have to carry any insurance for passengers. I don't think so and anyway a significant percentage of what look like Bangkok taxis are, in fact, unregistered and unlicensed. Best to arrange your own insurance before using any of these vehicles. Personally I only use motor cycle taxis in extreme emergencies when nothing else will get me there in time.

We call him the same as the man stepping in a vehicle(taxi ,bus,mini van....) with a thai driver.

Unless he wants to spend a long time in hospital,or he wants to end his live ,because thats not called " utter idiot" but "suicidal-idividual"

Offcourse,if you are in a hurry.......? Thats called an idiot in a hurry .

We call him the same as the man stepping in a vehicle(taxi ,bus,mini van....) with a thai driver.

Unless he wants to spend a long time in hospital,or he wants to end his live ,because thats not called " utter idiot" but "suicidal-idividual"

Offcourse,if you are in a hurry.......? Thats called an idiot in a hurry .

You can call HER whatever you bloody want and see if I give a toss? :P

Motorsai's are very convenient for me and I am aware of the dangers of them. I am going to invest in getting my own helmet, however for now I will use the ones provided. If they're not provided, I'll get a different motorbike taxi. Simple as.

• Like 1

Oh I was fine, more shocked than anything. I was in my own world, not paying attention directly in front of me therefore the branch came as a surprise! Haha!

Hope you don't try to sue his insurance company whistling.gif

Insurance company?! What insurance?! :P

I stopped using Motor-cycle taxi's over 10 years ago.

While pulling up outside Central World, it was clear to me the taxi in front was stopping to let out the passengers. Looking into the cab I could see the passengers lean forwards to pull the door handle and exit the car.

As I saw this, the Motorcycle driver decided it was a clever idea to nip up the inside of the taxi.

As I shouted stop I put my feet to the ground in a best attempt to slow the bike - the motorcycle driver panicked and slammed on the breaks just in time and about 1 meter behind the opening door.

It hadn't crossed the motorcycle drivers mind that someone might be getting out of a cab. I would have been kneecapped.

I realised there and then that these guys for the most part are uneducated and take chances with the safety of others without a thought.

I would now rather be late, than risk getting injured by someones thoughtlessness. I will happily sit in traffic for an hour rather than the back of a bike for 10 mins.

If I took a motorbike with the same frequency I take taxis I'm sure I would have been injured by now.

These are just my thoughts. People have their own risk profiles, the Op was lucky, she could now be with a broken lap top, shattered elbow and blind in one eye...

Thats because like many here, they dont have a mind, what happens, happens in that instant and its all laughs and fun at the time when they DONT get killed or maimed. They learn nothing...so it seems.

Also seems to accompany an attention span of about 2 seconds maximum.

Do get your own helmut. You will be glad that you did. Last month I read an article about how the government came out with a program, allowing licensed motorcycle taxi drivers to receive 6 baht off per gallon of gas, but that only 10% of them applied for the card for the discount. The stated reason was because that 90% of the motorcycle taxi drivers are unlicensed, and therefore could not get a discount card. (No wonder they have so many motorcycle checkpoints in Pattaya, but none in the outlying areas. Mostly go for farangs looking for a Thai license.

Edited by stoli