Deadly Snake Outside My Door. Who To Call In Pattaya?

media

I have had a few snakes here on the dark side during the last 9 years.All now deceased with the aid of a 4ft long 'spade' that has a thin digging end.

3 were pit vipers 2 brown snakes one blue krait one cobra and some I did not [nor want to [ know.

Also 3 large red centipedes, a family of smaller red centipedes .2,one big as a small frog,scorpiopns and one black tarantula.

..Probably some I have forgotten about.

I wil not live and let live where any snake is concerned.

Life is exciting here...

Just remembered... one rat that wanted to make home behind my wardrobe.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I consider it better for me to stop reading this thread, especially after the last post, as I don't feel very comfortable anymore behind my keyboard.

You have to understand I'm in East Pattaya in the country side.

I killed a snake in my garden a 4-5 days ago and a quite large spider a day later after walking into her web while cutting the lawn.Didn't take the size of the spider, but if you can see it clearly from a 35 meter distance, I consider it large.

Oh and by the way, when I look at my security camera's right now , I notice that a couple of them have spider webs in front of the lenses.

Edited by jbrain

I saw a couple of snakes in south pattaya,

one looked like that malayan pit viper and the other was a green skinny snake.

But the most scary encounter i had was a spider with just over 10 cm diameter

in the middle of the night above my bed.

Yes, i've had spider phobia in all my life

I consider it better for me to stop reading this thread, especially after the last post, as I don't feel very comfortable anymore behind my keyboard.

I killed a snake in my garden a 4-5 days ago and a quite large spider a day later after walking into her web while cutting the lawn.Didn't take the size of the spider, but if you can see it clearly from a 35 meter distance, I consider it large.

Oh and by the way, when I look at my security camera's right now , I notice that a couple of them have spider webs in front of the lenses.

Incredible! In 10 years here I've only had two small green tree snakes in my garden. No spiders, scorpions or centipedes. I've once seen a fairly large cobra and at another time a small pit viper, but both were fortunately in the other end of our village. Many people people here have cats or dogs, I suppose that helps keeping critters away.

I saw a couple of snakes in south pattaya,

one looked like that malayan pit viper and the other was a green skinny snake.

But the most scary encounter i had was a spider with just over 10 cm diameter

in the middle of the night above my bed.

Yes, i've had spider phobia in all my life

I didn't realize that spiders were a problem in Pattaya I mean yes sure they can be scary looking but they cant inflict serious damage can they? I have heard that some of those centipede can be dangerous thai people really fear them apparently they can kill dogs and cats I would be interested if anyone has pics of any of the spiders/snakes/centipedes mentioned in this topic?

Incredible! In 10 years here I've only had two small green tree snakes in my garden. No spiders, scorpions or centipedes. I've once seen a fairly large cobra and at another time a small pit viper, but both were fortunately in the other end of our village. Many people people here have cats or dogs, I suppose that helps keeping critters away.

I know Phil. I live here for almost 19 years now, from which I think 14 on the East side and I had seen 1 snake 14 years ago exactly on the first day I moved into my first house, then never again.

In the past year, when moving into my new house I have had, a very large spider found dead by the construction workers , 1 Malayan viper run into the house, 1 small snake in the pool,1 green medium size snake in the garden a week ago and a large spider which I almost run into a few days ago.

Anyone interested to purchase a house can PM me, preferably an Arachnologist or Ophiologist as I want to make a good price out of it biggrin.png

Just a question to Media, when you say that the hospitals stock the anti venom does that mean only the private hospitals or does it include government hospitals?

Any knowledge about this.

I hope posting this is not going to tempt fate!!

In some 11 years residing here, and working in South East Asia I've only seen 7 living snakes (apart from the pythons that used to be taken around the bars for photos with tourists, and at snake shows in BKK & CM, and a few dead ones squashed on roads and a golf course or preserved in jars in BPH) thankfully, as I have a real phobia about them.

Of all of them it's the last one I saw that really freaked me.

First one was when riding up the old Thrappaya Rd, before all the road works started, in 2003/4 on a little moped in the dark. As I approached some stationary vehicles I noticed the road ahead of them was clear of traffic so made my way around them, to my horror there were 4 or 5 Thai guys trying to catch an approx 5m python in the middle of the road, whilst the python was lunging, trying to butt the guys, I don't think I've ever accelarated harder on a moped!

Second one was while sharing a large house on a golf course just outside JB, Malaysia. Don't know what type of snake it was but my mates wife (Indonesian) had caught it with a towel and got it into a plastic bag. I was in Thailand for the weekend while all this had been going on, and when I returned to work on the Monday my mate told me about it. I asked, "where is it now?" to which I was told in the bin in the living room, so off we went to the house, what I found was an 18" green and red snake going berserk in the bag. I insisted I kill it but they let it go at the bottom of our garden onto the golf course. I moved into a condo some miles away that afternoon knowing it would be back!

Third and fourth were two huge sea snakes off Indonesia, thankfully I was on a large lay barge. (Have a couple of poor photo of these)

Fifth one was whilst driving the pick up back from an inland waterfall to Hua Hin in December 2007 I think it was, there was a particular cold week across a large part of Thailand at the time. Anyhow, noticing a few cars and pick ups pulled over on both sides of the road I slowed down, and there it was in the road, presumably trying to warm up on the tarmac was an approx 2m king cobra. After I pulled over to have a look, the ex-girlfriend commented on how beautiful it was, and that I should push it back in the grass before it got hurt / run over!! On that I put the car in gear and left it exactly where I found it! (Have good photo of this one)

Sixth, was this year, possibly June, whilst purchasing some drinks at Siam Plantation golf course. All of a sudden the serving staff started screaming ngoo ngoo whilst looking up at the beams which supported the outdoor structure. I plucked up the courage to have a quick peep up in the direction they were pointing, and there was what appeared to be an approx 1-1.5m green tree snake trying to make it's way down towards the toilet. Paid for drinks, without waiting for change and out of there!

Last one was a couple of weeks later. I was visiting a friend who lives on the darkside, not far from Nong Pla Lai, who had had a couple of what we believe to be green tree snakes visit the grounds of his house. Anyhow after having some food and a few drinks me and my mate went outside for a cigarette, it was dark apart from some light coming through the windows of the house. Anyhow, stood there smoking and chatting wearing only socks on our feet (standing on concrete), I noticed something move in the corner of my eye, when I looked carefully, all I could say was ,"<deleted> is that?" Knowing exactly what it was!! Only about a meter away from us was a baby cobra, about 10" long, neither of us know how it got there but judging by the general direction it was slowly moving in, it had quite possibly passed within inches of us!! This one will not be visiting again as unfortunately (for the cobra) it's head was separated from it's body with a spade!! Baby cobras have full strength venom, same as their parents!!

As I said at the start, I hope this doesn't tempt fate, and I don't see anymore anytime soon!!

• Like 1

I know Phil. I live here for almost 19 years now, from which I think 14 on the East side and I had seen 1 snake 14 years ago exactly on the first day I moved into my first house, then never again.

In the past year, when moving into my new house I have had, a very large spider found dead by the construction workers , 1 Malayan viper run into the house, 1 small snake in the pool,1 green medium size snake in the garden a week ago and a large spider which I almost run into a few days ago.

Anyone interested to purchase a house can PM me, preferably an Arachnologist or Ophiologist as I want to make a good price out of it biggrin.png

Just a question to Media, when you say that the hospitals stock the anti venom does that mean only the private hospitals or does it include government hospitals?

Any knowledge about this.

JBrain, Sorry im not sure which hospitals stock anti venom all I know is that Bangkok Pattaya has it because I asked them.

I find it strange that all the Thai people including my wife that I have asked about snakes have almost no knowledge about them and were never taught about them at school.

I still cant stop thinking about the one that was outside my house the other night.. Where is it right NOW?

Although I am an animal lover and against killing them I do agree with the other posts on here saying protecting my family,cats n dogs comes first So I really should have killed it.

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a snake Trap?

Has anyone has ever seen a Malayan Pit viper in a Tree? (not talking about green tree dwelling snakes just Malayan pit vipers) I think they are ground dwellers.

All 5 of the malayan pit vipers that I had encounters with were not agressive as their reputation says, most of them just wanted to get away, one did not strike out when I grabbed it with tongs form my BBQ and put it in a bag. Another one I used a broom to sweep it into a square dust bin then put it in a bag and drove it to a remote area and let it go.

In the basement of Tukom they sell long grabber things that could be handy for catching snakes. does anyone know where they sell a net with a long handle?

post-36578-0-24664600-1353911523_thumb.j

I still cant stop thinking about the one that was outside my house the other night.. Where is it right NOW?

Although I am an animal lover and against killing them I do agree with the other posts on here saying protecting my family,cats n dogs comes first So I really should have killed it.

Has anyone has ever seen a Malayan Pit viper in a Tree? (not talking about green tree dwelling snakes just Malayan pit vipers) I think they are ground dwellers.

All 5 of the malayan pit vipers that I had encounters with were not agressive as their reputation says, most of them just wanted to get away, one did not strike out when I grabbed it with tongs form my BBQ and put it in a bag. Another one I used a broom to sweep it into a square dust bin then put it in a bag and drove it to a remote area and let it go.

In the basement of Tukom they sell long grabber things that could be handy for catching snakes. does anyone know where they sell a net with a long handle?

A deep net with a telescope handle can be purchased from any pool supply shop.

For a long handled net, I would have thought a fishing tackle shop would be a safe bet.

Well Well Media.... I have had my two posts removed as "controversial" .... and now you are realizing that these reptiles are "deadly" .....of course you must protect your family, protect your pets, and also the other folk & their pets who are at risk if you let these things go....I "am" an animal lover....and I do get a twinge of guilt when I despatch snakes, but as others have said you just must not take a risk....as you will know this message is just between me and you.... ps. my gf says that her grandfather told her most snakes will want to make a hasty exit when they come into contact with humans (unless they are suprised)..... but NOT the King Cobra.....they will actually go after a human....his advice is "run away as fast as you can" good advice

Not sure about the accuracy, but I’ve saved these numbers in case I’d need them.

A quick search on the forum and I found the post where I got then from.

Snake catcher 0810000070, Sawang Boriboon Rescue Service 038222474

Great snake site tomster the vid of the King Cobra is amazing. I think if I saw that guy I would quickly go for help!

As jbrain says, pool shops are a good source for strong poles and deep pool leaf nets, we use a three meter pole with a leaf net and a flat skimmer net on another pole to keep him in the bottom one. I also have a three meter pole with a loop that I can close once the loop is over the snakes neck. The fishing shops have nets but the the poles are not so long.

We use three meter poles because the monocled cobras can spit over two meters.

I made a snake hook which works well on concrete or tiles but find it not so useful when they are in long grass as it gets caught.

Some pics of a few of our visitors attached.

post-22250-0-02595100-1353916450_thumb.j

post-22250-0-19230900-1353916515_thumb.j

post-22250-0-58387100-1353916593_thumb.j

post-22250-0-28774900-1353916659_thumb.j

post-22250-0-95717400-1353916731_thumb.j

• Like 2

Great snake site tomster the vid of the King Cobra is amazing. I think if I saw that guy I would quickly go for help!

As jbrain says, pool shops are a good source for strong poles and deep pool leaf nets, we use a three meter pole with a leaf net and a flat skimmer net on another pole to keep him in the bottom one. I also have a three meter pole with a loop that I can close once the loop is over the snakes neck. The fishing shops have nets but the the poles are not so long.

I made a snake hook which works well on concrete or tiles but find it not so useful when they are in long grass as it gets caught.

Rimmer

The pictures are great, I can recognise 2 cobras because their hoods are expanded but would you be kind enough to identify the other snakes if you know what they are.

Thanks

RabC

Edited by RabC

Rimmer

The pictures are great, I can recognise 2 cobras because their hoods are expanded but would you be kind enough to identify the other snakes if you know what they are.

Thanks

RabC

The one in the last picture is a Red Necked Keelback, also "dangerous to humans" i've had a few of them in my garden.

Well Well Media.... I have had my two posts removed as "controversial" .... and now you are realizing that these reptiles are "deadly" .....of course you must protect your family, protect your pets, and also the other folk & their pets who are at risk if you let these things go....I "am" an animal lover....and I do get a twinge of guilt when I despatch snakes, but as others have said you just must not take a risk....as you will know this message is just between me and you.... ps. my gf says that her grandfather told her most snakes will want to make a hasty exit when they come into contact with humans (unless they are suprised)..... but NOT the King Cobra.....they will actually go after a human....his advice is "run away as fast as you can" good advice

Sorry to hear you had posts removed, I personally did not notice any posts on this thread that was controversial, are we not aloud to debate and speak frankly on here?

• Like 1

Just reading this thread has got me paranoid. I regularly see cobras crossing the road at night when Im on my way home but fortunately Ive not seen any around my home. Last year there was a big green snake around the communial pool I never saw it but the kids were excited by it, one of the locals caught it and ate it as far as im aware.

I need to get tooled up as I wont sleep after reading this. Whats best? Im thinking a pitch fork on an extended handle.

If there is enough interest, I can post the phone number of my ex-wife. She is more than a match for anything that slithers, crawls, spits, bites, stings or otherwise harms normal innocent humans.......

• Like 2

Blimey RIMMER, you have been busy snake catching, we should all call you seeing as you seem to have got it down to a an art :)

great pics, I will try and get one of those nets, I would like to see a pic of the snake hook that you made..

It seems that east pattaya has much more variety of snakes, im in jomtien all ive seen is 5 malayan pit vipers between 2 locations. and 1 cobra in Pratumnak.

One thing that has just worried me is the photo of the pit viper on the website posted by Tomster had about 10 eggs!! that means that the one here that I just let get away could turn into 10 of the _astards floating around in my garden soon!

RabC Yes a couple of Cobra's, and as Lenny says a Red Necked Keelback also a Golden Tree Snake dunno what the other guy is. Once they are in the net they are easy to take outside, the big Cobra's are heavier and a lot stronger so I use a loop around their neck whilst my wife takes the weight of them in the net.

The green net in the picture is from a fishing shop but it is on a three meter long pole to keep well away from the cobra's when they spit at you.

• Like 1

Soundman it Sounds funny but "Cobra in the Kitchen" is quite common I met 2 other people who said they had the same as you :)

I wonder if there is some way of preventing them? a smell they dont like or something they dont like to slither over.. Shame we havent had any REAL experts on this topic im sure there is loads that we could learn.

Usually I dont think of snakes too much, although living on the Dark Side. Maybe its because when living in an estate, its hard to believe something that can kill you, might be lurking under your shrubs. Had a couple tree snakes and a Laotian Wolf snake in the yard this year, nothing else. Fortunately, after reading about snakes, I tend to forget about them, otherwise, it would be living in fear all the time, and couldnt enjoy any outdoor activity. It would be nice though, if there was something that would keep snakes out of the yard, maybe the soi dogs? My cat roams around quite a bit, so I worry more about her, than myself, since I can get to a doctor, and she cant.

I think it is simple to understand, as there is the Dark side and there is the Dark side.

If you live in a gated community that is surrounded by other villages at all sides and across the road, it will be hard to get a snake in your garden as there is a big chance they are discovered by someone in a surrounding village before they can reach your house.

When you live in a stand alone house in the middle of the country side, everything around your perimeter wall is their territory and there is little chance they are discovered before they arrive in your lawn.

Edited by jbrain
  • Like 1